PDA

View Full Version : Steven Whittaker

Wilbur
12-10-2010, 08:53 PM
Not good enough for Scotland IMO, poor performance on Friday and tonight.

GreenPJ
12-10-2010, 08:55 PM

He is a right back being asked to play left back.

bingo70
12-10-2010, 08:55 PM

Think he's a decent back up to Hutton but never an international left back IMO.

Can't think of many alternatives though?

Hakim Sar
12-10-2010, 08:56 PM
ok... but at least tell us who you would play instead??? otherwise your statement means nowt

TheBall'sRound
12-10-2010, 08:58 PM
ok... but at least tell us who you would play instead??? otherwise your statement means nowt

Hard to think of a more incompetent performance by a Scotland player which is really saying something.

If you're going to ask someone to do a solid defensive job Whittaker would never be the man. I'd rather have Bigfoot playing there than him and that makes me taste sick when I say it!

Wilbur
12-10-2010, 09:00 PM
To be fair, I'm struggling to think of who else to play there. But I just don't think he played the way he can. Always liked him at hibs though.

Twiglet
12-10-2010, 09:01 PM
His form this season's not been that great IMO.

As for playing him at LB that's Hibs style football. :wink:

fife hfc
12-10-2010, 09:03 PM
He was awful tonight and looked out of his depth. However we have nobody else to play there and he is not a left back.

cwilliamson85
12-10-2010, 09:06 PM
He was awful tonight and looked out of his depth. However we have nobody else to play there and he is not a left back.

Could we not play a 3 - 5 - 2 with no LB?

Albion Hibs
12-10-2010, 09:10 PM

Totally disagree with the first bit, think he is definatly good enough to play for scotland - you could see he was miles out of his comfort zone all night at left back, not his fault. Would agree with your comments in relation to Friday and tonight.

Hutton is first choice, I if we are not going to play whittaker at right back I would like to see him play right midfield, he showed he could score goals last season.

All in all well done scotland a sore one in the end, but dont think we could have expected that or anymore from tonight.

hibee92
12-10-2010, 09:10 PM
he's a midfielder IMO

mim
12-10-2010, 09:12 PM
Lee Wallace will be our left back for the next few years.

Is he injured? Dead?

TowerHibs
12-10-2010, 09:13 PM

nonsense, one or two poor performances and he is rubbish!!!!

knee jerk stuff on here at times is embassassing. Get Ian Murray or Ricky Foster in there.....or not

Thought Charlie Adam looked decent when he came on

essexhibee
12-10-2010, 09:13 PM
Utter ***** tonight,

Sylar
12-10-2010, 09:14 PM
Lee Wallace when fit again.

If not him, Paul Hanlon? :confused:

Twiglet
12-10-2010, 09:19 PM

Now the under 21s are out of the finals maybe he might get a chance. Is he still eligible to play for the under 21s or were the Euros his last tournament?

He was really good last night, deserves to be given a chance in the full squad.
Didn't see the match tonight, but having been there last night, there are a few gems in the under 21 squad that should/could get a chance at full international level.

ronaldo7
12-10-2010, 09:20 PM
I've slated Whitty on the Scotland thread all night, :rolleyes: rightfully so imo. The problem's not his though, it's potters. Whitty is not and never will be a left back. He done as well as he could given his limitations in that position. He got ripped a new one tonight, and potter can surely find someone with a Scottish granny in the lower reaches of the Blue square leagues:worms:

Albion Hibs
12-10-2010, 09:20 PM

No.

Hanlon may one day be a CH for Scotland but never a LB.

Mibbes Aye
12-10-2010, 09:22 PM
he's a midfielder IMO

:greengrin

It feels like ages since we had a guid "Whittaker defender/midfielder" debate on here :thumbsup:

As for his performance at LB, I didn't watch the game, but I'm vaguely aware that sometimes half-decent players have bad games.

They're probably more likely to do so when playing out of position against infinitely better players - that would be my guess anyway.

TowerHibs
12-10-2010, 09:23 PM
I've slated Whitty on the Scotland thread all night, :rolleyes: rightfully so imo. The problem's not his though, it's potters. Whitty is not and never will be a left back. He done as well as he could given his limitations in that position. He got ripped a new one tonight, and potter can surely find someone with a Scottish granny in the lower reaches of the Blue square leagues:worms:

Show me a full back that hasn't been destroyed by a Spanish team in the last 4/5 years????

Put things into perspective....can't believe some would rather Broadfoot instead. Wake up

TowerHibs
12-10-2010, 09:24 PM
:greengrin

It feels like ages since we had a guid "Whittaker defender/midfielder" debate on here :thumbsup:

As for his performance at LB, I didn't watch the game, but I'm vaguely aware that sometimes half-decent players have bad games.

They're probably more likely to do so when playing out of position against infinitely better players - that would be my guess anyway.

:top marks

PISTOL1875
12-10-2010, 09:25 PM
The only player who could be quoted for the LB berth would be Paul Dixon at Dundee United and he's a fair way off being good enough for Scotland...

Kaiser1962
12-10-2010, 09:25 PM
I though Whittaker was lucky not to be sent off on Friday but he managed it tonight. Collins always saw him as a midfielder and not a full back but you have to ask questions of our system if we dont actually have a natural left back worthy of the name.

alex74
12-10-2010, 09:29 PM
No.

Hanlon may one day be a CH for Scotland but never a LB.agree:top marks

ronaldo7
12-10-2010, 09:31 PM
Show me a full back that hasn't been destroyed by a Spanish team in the last 4/5 years????

Put things into perspective....can't believe some would rather Broadfoot instead. Wake up

Not my discussion mate. I was watching our full back get slaughtered tonight because of our Manager playing him out of position. Not Whitty's fault, but it was him who got ripped a new one.

As for the Broadfoot question, you'd better direct that to the person who raised it. I have no truck on that one.:wink:

Sprouleflyer
12-10-2010, 09:34 PM
I though Whittaker was lucky not to be sent off on Friday but he managed it tonight. Collins always saw him as a midfielder and not a full back but you have to ask questions of our system if we dont actually have a natural left back worthy of the name.

His tackle that got him sent off came from Naismith pulling out from a 50/50, which he did all night.

Naismith scored a goal tonight but the boy is a chicken!!!!!

Woody1985
12-10-2010, 09:37 PM

Never in your life.

I thought he did okay but he made basic mistakes that shouldn't matter where you're playing.

1. The handball for the penalty. You don't swing your arm out like a ballerina when your opponent crosses the ball.
2. Lunging in. Yes, he won the ball when lunging in but it's classed as dangerous/aggressive play. Stay on your feet.

Two simple rules. It doesn't matter if you player CF, RM, CH, LB. If you don't follow those two basic rules then you can't play at that level.

Scotland on the whole were great tonight.

We need to get out of this mindset that we're not good enough to beat technical teams. A few years ago we weren't, but we are now. Maybe not spain but pish like the Liths should be a dead cert and the Czechs should be a game you look to win, a draw at worst.

Another transition period under Levein I suspect and hopefully we get a manager who recognises that we're not just cloggers because we do have decent players.

StarMan10
12-10-2010, 09:42 PM
he should never have been sent off though!? he won the ball for both his bookings and if winning the ball is a foul then the rules need a re-think

ronaldo7
12-10-2010, 09:46 PM
Never in your life.

I thought he did okay but he made basic mistakes that shouldn't matter where you're playing.

1. The handball for the penalty. You don't swing your arm out like a ballerina when your opponent crosses the ball.
2. Lunging in. Yes, he won the ball when lunging in but it's classed as dangerous/aggressive play. Stay on your feet.

Two simple rules. It doesn't matter if you player CF, RM, CH, LB. If you don't follow those two basic rules then you can't play at that level.

Scotland on the whole were great tonight.

We need to get out of this mindset that we're not good enough to beat technical teams. A few years ago we weren't, but we are now. Maybe not spain but pish like the Liths should be a dead cert and the Czechs should be a game you look to win, a draw at worst.

Another transition period under Levein I suspect and hopefully we get a manager who recognises that we're not just cloggers because we do have decent players.

Can't disagree with that.

Kaiser1962
12-10-2010, 09:47 PM
Rangers Rules dont apply in the international arena. His first booking was for handball at Spains's penalty (should probably have been booked earlier mind).

Had it been SPL and Rangers it wouldnt have been a penalty either though.

he should never have been sent off though!? he won the ball for both his bookings and if winning the ball is a foul then the rules need a re-think

Woody1985
12-10-2010, 09:56 PM

I agree but unfortunately for us the rules of the game state that if the referee deems you to be challenging in a dangerous manner i.e. lunging in, like he's done in this game AND the last game then you get booked or sent off.

Those are the rules of the game as it stands at this moment in time. If they don't like it then don't play, especially at international level where you will never get away with those type of overstretched challenges.

We constantly state that we want flair players protected for the enjoyment of the game and that ultimately means you can't lunge in at someone you know who is about to skin you for a piece of arse paper.

Deek01
12-10-2010, 09:57 PM
still annoys me that if he was still at hibs he'd be nowhere near the 25 man squad never mind starting a game like that !

Woody1985
12-10-2010, 10:03 PM
still annoys me that if he was still at hibs he'd be nowhere near the 25 man squad never mind starting a game like that !

If he was still at Hibs he'd still be running up the pitch like a winger leaving huge gaps in behind him where a RB should be.

He's gained some discipline by playing for those ***** Rangers in the CL and knows that he can't run about thinking he's Cafu.

TowerHibs
12-10-2010, 10:13 PM

that a serious point?????

New Corrie
12-10-2010, 10:28 PM
Ok, so Whittaker is sheite aswell, he joins Murray, Hartley, Ferguson, Brown, Thomson etc etc..............astonishing amount of Football experts on here, the place where certain posters reckoned that Alan O'Brien was a good player, no wonder we get mocked from other fans.

jdships
12-10-2010, 10:44 PM
He is a right back being asked to play left back.

Been plugging that for weeks - feel really sorry for the guy
Remember he could easily have been sent off last Friday night - booked once and awfy near to a second a couple of times !!

HUTCHYHIBBY
13-10-2010, 02:09 AM
The guy isnt a full back, constantly caught out of position when @ ER, Its not his fault he is better in midfield, but, gets played elsewhere. He didnt play well tonight, but, he isnt Raphael all of a sudden!

HIBEES 4 LIFE
13-10-2010, 07:34 AM
Steven Whittaker is not a bad footballer and would do ok (on the right)

However, for those that say he shouldn't have been sent off is mental. 1st booking was clear hand ball and deserved yellow, 2nd was a tackle that could have been seen as 2 footed and he was most definately showing studs, now that is a cowardly act and could easily break someones leg! I am all for tackling but if that was some Hun tackling deek like that we'd be calling for a life time ban.

500miles
13-10-2010, 12:35 PM

However, for those that say he shouldn't have been sent off is mental. 1st booking was clear hand ball and deserved yellow, 2nd was a tackle that could have been seen as 2 footed and he was most definately showing studs, now that is a cowardly act and could easily break someones leg! I am all for tackling but if that was some Hun tackling deek like that we'd be calling for a life time ban.

Well that's nonsense - he won the ball first , he led with his right foot, kept low, so there was NO CHANCE, in A MILLION YEARS it was dangerous. It was a perfectly legal challange - the referee was wrong. I'm watching the replay on BBC, from 2 different angles. The first shows that he led with ONE foot, and the second shows that he 1.won the ball and 2.kept his challenge low.

Great tackle.

GreenPJ
13-10-2010, 12:49 PM

:confused: He kept his foot low, there was no danger to the opposing player. If you call that cowardly what do you play - no contact one touch?

I did not think it merited a yellow card but in the current climate any early slide to get the ball is more often than not seen to be a lunge.

HenryMonk
13-10-2010, 12:52 PM
yes whitty was oor lastnight but mcculloch was tragic!, and when adams came on it showed there is better!

naismith was poor, as someone else said he bottled out of every 50/50.

and as for ping pong miller!! when he wasnt caught offside. he can do one aswell.

hopefull leven has realised that continually picking huns will get us nowhere!!

HenryMonk
13-10-2010, 12:54 PM
:confused: He kept his foot low, there was no danger to the opposing player. If you call that cowardly what do you play - no contact one touch?

I did not think it merited a yellow card but in the current climate any early slide to get the ball is more often than not seen to be a lunge.

i actually thought the spanish players challenge was just as bad, he jumped in with 2 feet and landed on whitty's leg!!

Manxhibs
13-10-2010, 07:44 PM
It was clear to see that Whittaker was out of his depth last night, though the depth was quite deep considering the opposition.

Gus
13-10-2010, 07:54 PM
Scotland done very well to get back into last night, but what the result was a given imo. Dont think Spain got out of 2nd gear. They got a wake up call though

Yes whittaker had a mare last night, Miller had a good game (compared to usual p1sh) doesnt mean I would ever say his name in the same sentence as Villa (i just did)

He is playing out of position, but when Lee Wallace is fit, he will be number one there

NadeAteMyLunch!
13-10-2010, 09:17 PM
Some of the comments about Whitty thrown about on .net are laughable! He was different class with us yet amazingly some on here would have u believe that he ran around like a headless chicken his whole time with us. One of our biggest problems over the past few seasons is that we have never come close to replacing Whitty or Murphy and lost real class and an attacking threat down both flanks. I played in the same boys club/school team as Stevie from the age of 4-14 and did not see him make a single tackle in 10 yrs!! He was a natural striker who used to rattle in 40+ goals every single season, he didnt move bk to defence until the age of 17 when he was breaking into our first team. Yes he's now 26 and fairly experienced but defending isnt something he's grown up his whole life with. He's a right sided attacking defender/midfielder being asked to play left back against the world champions, lets cut him some slack ffs!! He would be the first to admit he had a mare but some of the comments on here are a bit OTT imo.

blackpoolhibs
14-10-2010, 11:22 AM
Some of the comments about Whitty thrown about on .net are laughable! He was different class with us yet amazingly some on here would have u believe that he ran around like a headless chicken his whole time with us. One of our biggest problems over the past few seasons is that we have never come close to replacing Whitty or Murphy and lost real class and an attacking threat down both flanks. I played in the same boys club/school team as Stevie from the age of 4-14 and did not see him make a single tackle in 10 yrs!! He was a natural striker who used to rattle in 40+ goals every single season, he didnt move bk to defence until the age of 17 when he was breaking into our first team. Yes he's now 26 and fairly experienced but defending isnt something he's grown up his whole life with. He's a right sided attacking defender/midfielder being asked to play left back against the world champions, lets cut him some slack ffs!! He would be the first to admit he had a mare but some of the comments on here are a bit OTT imo.

:agree: I wish we had him back at the club now. He was the only choice on Tuesday, there was nobody else.

Woody1985
14-10-2010, 12:34 PM

So in one post you state that he played as a striker and never seen him tackle during the whole of his youth yet criticise people for criticising his defensive frailties?

I already said that the whole team did well but the mistakes he made were irrelevant of the position on the park. You don't jump with your arms flapping around in the penalty box whether you're a striker or a centre half. The lunging thing has already been debated to death but in this game, lunging in against technically superior players whether you win the ball or not will be seen as a foul. He did well in the challenges but his CL should tell him he can't do that and should stay on his feet.

steviehibsleith
14-10-2010, 12:51 PM

For a defender who is 6`1 you never see him going for set pieces which shows that he is not great in the air and you have made the point that he never made a tackle as a kid - till 14. Think these are attributes required of a defender left or right back. Watched him many times at ER and was a grt player with the ball and driving forward and is doing the same with the huns but think defensively not so strong.

Mickey Edwards
14-10-2010, 04:28 PM

you are blessed....I still think Whitty is a class act and the most complete player we have produced in the past few decades. Able to play in any league IMHO. Problem is he is currently plying his trade in a footballing cesspit {Ibrox} within another footballing cesspit {the SPL} and he has lost a lot of his confidence. Can beat a man {or two}from a standing start , passing vision and shooting excellent, good in the air,tackling good enough when he's focussed and confident which recently he's not been. I don't get his critics - he was a proper Hibs player

Golden Bear
14-10-2010, 04:33 PM
you are blessed....I still think Whitty is a class act and the most complete player we have produced in the past few decades. Able to play in any league IMHO. Problem is he is currently plying his trade in a footballing cesspit {Ibrox} within another footballing cesspit {the SPL} and he has lost a lot of his confidence. Can beat a man {or two}from a standing start , passing vision and shooting excellent, good in the air,tackling good enough when he's focussed and confident which recently he's not been. I don't get his critics - he was a proper Hibs player

I've not read the whole thread but I agree with your comments. Whittaker is a model professional and it's hardly his fault that Potter decided to play him at left back.