PDA

View Full Version : How can the next manager avoid leaving Hibs under a cloud?

Hibbyradge
12-10-2010, 10:27 AM
As far back as I can remember, our managers have either been sacked after the fans turned on them or branded as traitors when they leave. (Sauzee is a slight exception.)

Let's assume the next bod gets us playing decent football and challenging in the top third of the table.

It's highly likely that any successful manager will want to try his luck on a bigger stage.

So, what would he have to do to leave Hibs with our blessing? Some might say win us the Scottish cup, but that isn't in his direct control so it doesn't count (and probably would be forgotten when he left.)

Or is it inevitable that the relationship with the fans will turn sour?

Purehibee_MYB
12-10-2010, 10:31 AM
To be fair I never bore a grudge towards Mowbray... I always appreciated the football he had us playing and whilst playing that style we got to 3rd... So it should have been expected that he would leave for a new challenge.

Danderhall Hibs
12-10-2010, 10:36 AM
As far back as I can remember, our managers have either been sacked after the fans turned on them or branded as traitors when they leave. (Sauzee is a slight exception.)

Let's assume the next bod gets us playing decent football and challenging in the top third of the table.

It's highly likely that any successful manager will want to try his luck on a bigger stage.

So, what would he have to do to leave Hibs with our blessing? Some might say win us the Scottish cup, but that isn't in his direct control so it doesn't count (and probably would be forgotten when he left.)

Probably just do a similar job to Mowbray and say similar things. Just don't offend anyone by doing a huddle when he comes back!

matty_f
12-10-2010, 10:39 AM
Probably just do a similar job to Mowbray and say similar things. Just don't offend anyone by doing a huddle when he comes back!
:agree:

I don't think we'll grudge anyone a move to a bigger club so long as they're not seen to take the pish out of us in the process.

Mowbray angered folk because he talked about having a job to do (IIRC) and then disappeared anyway, and he didn't help things by handing Zibbi a contract before he went, either.

I think if the next manager comes in and has the fans coming back to Easter Road because we're winning and playing good football, leaves because a bigger club comes calling, then I think most of us are sensible enough to accept it and wish them well.

cockneymike
12-10-2010, 10:39 AM
To be fair I never bore a grudge towards Mowbray... I always appreciated the football he had us playing and whilst playing that style we got to 3rd... So it should have been expected that he would leave for a new challenge.

:agree: If a manager leaves to go to a 'bigger' club then as long as it's not the OF we'd be pretty relaxed I'd suggest. To my memory only Mowbray has ever really done that.

Also I think timing is very important. If a manager left during the summer or near the end of a season where things were getting a bit flat ie, long since clinced 3rd place, and not in cup final; I'd say that that would be the best time to go, allowing plenty of time for us to regroup for the new season.

Interestingly Williamson did this - although he was disliked for staying so long, rather than the manner of his departure!!

Obviously Williamson's team was rubbish, and not in the top 3, I was making the timing comparison - before anyone pull's me up on it!

Pretty Boy
12-10-2010, 10:40 AM

I never, ever got the anger towards Mowbray by some when he left, and i'm talking long before 'huddlegate'.

This was a manager who had us playing great football and took us into Europe and on a couple of decent cup runs. He left to take the biggest job outside the Premiership at the time (and probably bigger than a few in the Premiership) having already turned down at least one other offer. He never hid his desire to move on in the game so it was hardly a huge shock when he left, he was very complimentary towards us in the press and expressed his gratitude for what we had done for him. Yet he was still subjected to the inevitable Judas and traitor nonsense, if it happened to him it will happen to anyone regardless of how well they do.

Cropley10
12-10-2010, 10:40 AM

Simple:

Blood some youngsters, get the conveyor belt moving again.
Sort out the goalie position permanently - all 3 of ours have flaws
Find 2 or 3 'diamonds on the beach' - think Boozy, Murphy, even Jones
Concentrate on the spine of the team: GK, CH, CM, CF
Make us hard to beat at home; play with width and pace
Improve our away record
Have a Plan B and even a Plan C on match days
Take no **** from the players - bin the weak hearted and lazy immediately

If the next manager can do more than half this then people will be tempted back to ER and he would leave without falling out with us...

Hibs07p
12-10-2010, 10:41 AM
If it is Steve Clarke, he will have to be reasonably successful before he moves on, or he will be sacked. I think he should help identify the next, wannabe manager with ambition and potential. If we can sustain a chain of successful managers, I'm sure the fans would accept the turnover of managers. If we were to get that success, I'm sure ER would be full most weeks, allowing us to compete better with the OF and seriously challenge their duopoly. So, in a nutshell, I would expect our new manager if successful, to help identify a suitable replacement, as part of his remit.

Andy74
12-10-2010, 10:45 AM

Why are you dismissing the Scottish Cup thing?

Just because of what it is the manager who wins the Scottish cup for Hibs will be a legend. If he wanted to leave it on the desk on his way out to manage Hearts the next day that'd probably be accepted as a fair effort.

Hibbyradge
12-10-2010, 10:53 AM

Just because of what it is the manager who wins the Scottish cup for Hibs will be a legend. If he wanted to leave it on the desk on his way out to manage Hearts the next day that'd probably be accepted as a fair effort.

Agreed. I was thinking about Miller and Collins winning the league cup for us, but the Scottish would be different.

However, I'm primarily dismissing it as a possibility for the obvious reasons. :greengrin

Also, although Jefferies won the SC for the Yams, when he left the first time, he was very unpopular, iirc.

Hibercelona
12-10-2010, 10:55 AM
A manager that:

1. Gets us playing good football.
2. Gets us consistently challenging for 3rd and reaching cup semis and finals.
3. Says what needs to be said in the conference room instead of spouting p!sh.
4. Shows respect and commitment to the club and the fans.
5. Doesn't travel along the M8 or even worse! :jamboak:

If a manager followed these steps then I certainly wouldn't flame him for eventually moving on to a higher level. :agree:

Keith_M
12-10-2010, 10:55 AM
How can the next manager avoid leaving Hibs under a cloud?

Resign now.

:greengrin

Scouse Hibee
12-10-2010, 11:19 AM
Manager or player leaves, there will always be some who drag up reasons to slag off their tenure. Makes me laugh at some of the so called excused for slagging off ex-players/managers, I myself without exception have never bought into any of it.

matty_f
12-10-2010, 11:26 AM
If it is Steve Clarke, he will have to be reasonably successful before he moves on, or he will be sacked. I think he should help identify the next, wannabe manager with ambition and potential. If we can sustain a chain of successful managers, I'm sure the fans would accept the turnover of managers. If we were to get that success, I'm sure ER would be full most weeks, allowing us to compete better with the OF and seriously challenge their duopoly. So, in a nutshell, I would expect our new manager if successful, to help identify a suitable replacement, as part of his remit.

I've been saying this for ages. Succession planning is vital for a club like Hibs if we're to avoid a turnover of managers and players on a large scale every couple of years.

smurf
12-10-2010, 11:34 AM

Says it all for me.

And its why i was so angry with Mowbray when he returned to ER.

I hope and pray our new guy moves on to bigger and better things as it will mean that he's been successful with us.

basehibby
12-10-2010, 11:55 AM
I never, ever got the anger towards Mowbray by some when he left, and i'm talking long before 'huddlegate'.

This was a manager who had us playing great football and took us into Europe and on a couple of decent cup runs. He left to take the biggest job outside the Premiership at the time (and probably bigger than a few in the Premiership) having already turned down at least one other offer. He never hid his desire to move on in the game so it was hardly a huge shock when he left, he was very complimentary towards us in the press and expressed his gratitude for what we had done for him. Yet he was still subjected to the inevitable Judas and traitor nonsense, if it happened to him it will happen to anyone regardless of how well they do.

:top marks Totally with you on that - much as I was disappointed when TM left I was not in the slightest bit surprised. What DID surprise me was that he turned down Ipswich about 4 months prior to him going to WBA. He was brilliant for Hibs while we had him and I certainly wished him all the best and still do!
Like you say, what this shows is that regardless of the manner of departure, as sure as the sun rises, some oversensitive wee souls will chuck a blob strop and profess undying hatred :bitchy:

jonny
12-10-2010, 12:05 PM
Simple:

Blood some youngsters, get the conveyor belt moving again.
Sort out the goalie position permanently - all 3 of ours have flaws
Find 2 or 3 'diamonds on the beach' - think Boozy, Murphy, even Jones
Concentrate on the spine of the team: GK, CH, CM, CF
Make us hard to beat at home; play with width and pace
Improve our away record
Have a Plan B and even a Plan C on match days
Take no **** from the players - bin the weak hearted and lazy immediately

If the next manager can do more than half this then people will be tempted back to ER and he would leave without falling out with us...

Agree with most of what you've said there, although I think that since getting a wee run in the team Mark Brown has done nothing wrong and is probably the best goalie we've had for a while. I'd say Stack is decent enough to have as a replacement as well. IMO 2 of our 3 keepers are good enough - Smith has made too many major blunders.
2 keepers and a youth goalie is fine, don't think we need anyone else in.

Green_one
12-10-2010, 12:13 PM
Mowbray would be a good model. Got most things right apart from an actual cup.

However if the next guy can win the Scottish Cup, then he can deliberately run STF over in the car park, p*** on my seat in the East every home game and move to the Huns, I would still love him.

wick hibby
12-10-2010, 12:20 PM
Dont take the JOB :wink:

Albion Hibs
12-10-2010, 12:24 PM
TM or JC got in right in many ways, good standard of play, results more often than not, and of course a cup.

Post Hibs conduct is as important many ways, TM, should have known better - dont really know why he decided to do that, from a guy that seemed to have a lot of common sense and be a decent person he showed complete disrespect and made himself look like a bit of a fool...actually a complete tool!

Other than above, win the other cup, the league, hammer the hertz every time we play them would be a reasonable start. Alternatively produce on the field and then fall out with the board so we have someone else to blame direct anger at!

proud_and_green
12-10-2010, 12:35 PM

Oh come on, everyone knows that the team that won the scottish cup would not have been his team, it would have been Yogi's!!!!!:devil:

Liberal Hibby
12-10-2010, 01:29 PM
How about a manager that leaves us with a succession strategy - so we don't have to go through this every other season?

Phil D. Rolls
12-10-2010, 01:37 PM
Simply take the squad to Dubai for some mid season training, and announce your resignation over there. There is very little chance of leaving under a cloud then.

alex74
12-10-2010, 01:49 PM

This was a manager who had us playing great football and took us into Europe and on a couple of decent cup runs. He left to take the biggest job outside the Premiership at the time (and probably bigger than a few in the Premiership) having already turned down at least one other offer. He never hid his desire to move on in the game so it was hardly a huge shock when he left, he was very complimentary towards us in the press and expressed his gratitude for what we had done for him. Yet he was still subjected to the inevitable Judas and traitor nonsense, if it happened to him it will happen to anyone regardless of how well they do.bring back mowbray

Hibbyradge
12-10-2010, 05:19 PM
Simply take the squad to Dubai for some mid season training, and announce your resignation over there. There is very little chance of leaving under a cloud then.

Interesting idea.

In fact, if he announced his resignation whilst on the plane, he would have technically left over a cloud.

Davy Mac
12-10-2010, 06:34 PM
We need a Manager who perhaps is in his or her :wink:(these 2 birds from Bend it like Beckam will do for me:greengrin) twilight years - like Bruce Rioch who's not as ambitious and prefers a better quality of life/stadium/training centre/hates the jambos?

The younger the Manager the more likley to move on at the first sign of success.

Kenny Dal would be alwight.....:thumbsup:

HIBERNIAN-0762
12-10-2010, 06:46 PM
Get them out of that comfort zone they call a training complex get them up Arthurs Seat one day then the dunes at Gullane the next, that should sort out any "fannies" that haven't got what it takes, don't know if it's just me but i think that has been a problem ever since it opened...

Cue getting slaughtered now...:duck:

ahibby
12-10-2010, 07:39 PM
The one thing that disappointed me about Mogga was, as far as I am aware, he never said he was leaving. From what I remember we simply heard after an away game against St Mirren that he'd left. So I think the next manager should try and achieve at least the highest standard that Mogga achieved and give us a side capable of winning a cup. Then he can tell the fans when he plans to leave and he has a No2 who is capable of taking over the reigns at ER on a permanent bases (enter stage left Billy Stark or a. n. other.).

sesoim
14-10-2010, 05:30 PM

If we appoint a manager the same age as Craig Brown, and he has a couple of good years and then retires.

If we keep on appointing young inexperienced managers, it will either turn out that they are rubbish, or if we unearth a gem, he will want to leave for a bigger club.

So it is simple - we need to appoint an old guy.