PDA

View Full Version : First Time this season! I really enjoyed that! (merged)

Stantons Angel
11-10-2010, 09:36 PM
Was at Easter Road to night for a really good game of football. 12,300 crowd and the pitch looking wonderful under the floodlights.

Its the first time this season i have come away having enjoyed my football and Hibs werent even playing!!

Well done to the young players for giving their all in their country's jersey. Im sure if we had scored early on the confidence would have carried them through.

Well done to the public for turning up to show Edinburgh does need international football in the Capital city.
:thumbsup:

Hibbyradge
11-10-2010, 09:38 PM
How refreshing to see a team play with some passion and heart for a change.

The under 21's were up against a much stronger and bigger Iceland team who had 7 full internationalists in their side, but we controlled large periods of the game without being able to get the all important breakthrough.

We had flair, invention, patience, width and scored a wonder goal.. And we ended the game with 4 strikers on the park!Oh how I wish the full team, and Hibs, would emulate these youngsters.

Well done Scotland and Billy Stark. Better luck next time.

PS That was my first time in the new east stand. The stadium looks fantastic.

BroxburnHibee
11-10-2010, 09:44 PM
Yep - excellent stuff.

Shame about the result but was great to walk away from ER having enjoyed the experience :greengrin

bigstu
11-10-2010, 09:50 PM
its been a long time coming, an exciting performance from the home team at ER. Roll on our new manager & hopefully some new players who give a crap like the young guys did tonight

The Harp Awakes
11-10-2010, 09:51 PM
Can't remember the last time a Scotland team at U21 or full international level knocked the ball about like that. Superb to watch and very unlucky to lose on the night. Billy Stark has done really well and would be a great appoinntment for Hibs if the rumours prove true.

Hiber-nation
11-10-2010, 09:56 PM
Really enjoyed that - never knew Chris Maguire was anywhere near as good as that. Thought he was different class, and wee Bannan looks a great prospect - not that he'd ever get into a Levein squad though :bitchy:

The Harp Awakes
11-10-2010, 10:07 PM
Really enjoyed that - never knew Chris Maguire was anywhere near as good as that. Thought he was different class, and wee Bannan looks a great prospect - not that he'd ever get into a Levein squad though :bitchy:

Exactly what went through my mind when watching the wee guy. In fact hardly any of the Scotland U21 team will ever be called up by Levein because none of them 6 foot+ donkeys and they are far too attack minded.

givescotlandfreedom
11-10-2010, 10:08 PM
:agree: That's the best football I've seen played at ER for a long time! Despite the result it was a really game.

Dirkster23
11-10-2010, 10:13 PM
A really enjoyable game tonight, just a pity we couldn' get the first goal. Thought both teams played nice stuff and it could have gone either way.

As others have said, what a difference walking out of ER knowing you'd watched a decent game of football :thumbsup:

Sir David Gray
11-10-2010, 10:22 PM
I thought Scotland were really good in the first half, unlucky not to be in front at half time and Barry Bannan was absolutely outstanding in that first 45 minutes as well, he tore their defenders to shreds at times. He will surely be a future star at international and club level. The galling thing is that you struggle to see where an inventive and exciting player like him will fit in with the boring and ultra-defensive formation that Levein is adopting just now. :bitchy:

It was really encouraging to see a Scotland side knocking the ball about and having a bit of urgency about them. They didn't just look to knock the ball long and hope for the best.

Iceland scored two great goals and they certainly came into it more in the second half.

I have to mention Chris Maguire's goal, though. That was a fantastic finish and it's just a pity that it didn't win the match because it deserved to win any game of football. I thought Maguire's overall play was terrific tonight as well and if it hadn't been for Bannan, he would have been my man of the match. Before tonight, I didn't honestly think he was capable of playing like that as I haven't really seen him play like that for Aberdeen.

Very good display by the youngsters overall and it's just a real shame that they haven't made it to the finals because I think their performance deserved more.

Jim44
11-10-2010, 10:23 PM
I enjoyed watching it on Telly but it was spoiled by Ian Crocker reminding us regularly that Hibs hadn't won there since March and that the stadium held no fears for the Icelandic Jambo who had played there seven times without being on the losing side. :greengrin

blairwallace
11-10-2010, 10:26 PM
no one going to mention the cracking goal we scored?! that goal or mikey stewards goal v Aberdeen has to be one of the best goals I've ever seen at ER!!!! wotherspoon was fantastic as well! Petrie get that bannan guy signed up!:thumbsup:

hibee bouncer
11-10-2010, 10:26 PM
Here's hoping the full team watched that performance tonight. That's how to play football and how to play for the jersey!

blairwallace
11-10-2010, 10:27 PM
I enjoyed watching it on Telly but it was spoiled by Ian Crocker reminding us regularly that Hibs hadn't won there since March and that the stadium held no fears for the Icelandic Jambo who had played there seven times without being on the losing side. :greengrin

he's lost once there :wink:

Jim44
11-10-2010, 10:30 PM
he's lost once there :wink:

.......well that makes me feel much better. :rolleyes::greengrin

Bishop Hibee
11-10-2010, 10:32 PM
An enjoyable evening apart from the result! Every Iceland player was over 6 feet tall and yet we competed really well and with just a bit more craft in the centre of the park we could have won it.

Both Iceland's goals were superb finishes although that boy looks about 25 not under 21! Bannan and Maguire stood out and Maguire's goal was an outstanding piece of skill. Wotherspoon and Hanlon played well too.

Hope for the future although Bannan apart, I don't think any of that XI are ready for the big squad yet. Spoony's time will come though.

Deek01
11-10-2010, 10:34 PM
especially in the first half i thought caddis was terrific !, shame we didn't try and get him when we were crying out for a right back.

Nakedmanoncrack
11-10-2010, 11:23 PM

I thought Bannan & Maguire were outstanding.:agree:

bandylegs_jLeighton
11-10-2010, 11:44 PM
Before we conceded the first goal the game had gone really flat and the Scottish team were crying out for some changes.
Wotherspoon and the no. 6 looked like they were blowing out their ***** at that point, and Murphy hadn't made any decent contributions since the first 45.
If Stark had freshened it up before the first goal I think we could have rediscovered some of our first half momentum.
However, a considerably better performance than we were forced to endure on Friday, and some cracking goals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CB_NO3
12-10-2010, 12:07 AM
Not trying to be negative but is that all we have to be proud about now, competing with Iceland, we hardly created a chance in the second half. That left winger was good first half but Iceland changed their right back second half and he never got a sniff, plus he is 2 stone under weight. The best player Goodwillie got 10 mins and that idiot Stark would not make changes. We dominated possession but they were never under threat. Decent atmosphere, but if thats the future of Scottish football then we are in serious trouble.

Auckland Hibs
12-10-2010, 08:03 AM
Not trying to be negative but is that all we have to be proud about now, competing with Iceland, we hardly created a chance in the second half. That left winger was good first half but Iceland changed their right back second half and he never got a sniff, plus he is 2 stone under weight. The best player Goodwillie got 10 mins and that idiot Stark would not make changes. We dominated possession but they were never under threat. Decent atmosphere, but if thats the future of Scottish football then we are in serious trouble.

:bye:

tam4hibs
12-10-2010, 08:18 AM
:bye:

Agree with what he said... :bye::bye::bye::bye:

Think your speaking total bollocks IMHO.

As mentioned, Iceland had many fully fledged Internationals in their team which, given their size, made life tough for us. They aint no mugs: recently gubbed a very good German youth side IIRC.

Our ball retention was fantastic, some great wing play with some neat passing. We struggled to find a killer touch in the box and I believe that was due to the solid display of their CH's.

Overall, great night. Would much rather watch that again that a 4-6-0 senior squad camped in their own half.

Good effore boys, no shame in losing to that team. Hopefuly the experience will make you better for it and please ignore such earlier posts who are far too quick to write off youngeters. :grr:

'If thats the future of Scottish fans then we are in serious trouble' should be the quote.

euro Hibby
12-10-2010, 08:20 AM
Our negative poster does have a couple of points. I think Stark could have made a couple of changes earlier as things had gone flat in areas where we could score goals. Bananan was not as effective second half as he possibly used up a lot of energy in a great first half.

Being beaten by this Iclandic team is no disgrace. They have been playing as a unit since the under 17's and a few of them are well above average for their age in any country.
As for the future, we will see. Unfortunately a lot of Under 21 starlets fall by the wayside and possibly 3 or 4 max will be go onto the full national team.
I enjoyed the game. Two teams wanting to win and to entertain with alot at stake !

Part/Time Supporter
12-10-2010, 08:28 AM
The thing that would concern me about the Scotland team is that the only "can't miss" prospect is Wilson. Iceland had more players who I think will make an impression at a high level (Sigurdsson and Gudmundsson most obviously). I think it was only a reasonably close tie because they had one or two players who struggled, particularly the goalkeeper and the full backs in the first half.

seanraff07
12-10-2010, 08:36 AM
Really enjoyed the game last night, best game of football i've been at in months! Went right to the back of the East, what a view!

CB_NO3
12-10-2010, 08:56 AM
The end of the day the future of Icelandic football looks better than the future of Scottish football, thats the facts, if yous are happy with that then good on yous. The fact that they had full internationals in their team proves that they have better players. Its not as if they were 30 year old men. As someone said you will be lucky to get 3 players that move onto the full team in Scotland.

MB62
12-10-2010, 09:19 AM

Agree with what he said... :bye::bye::bye::bye:

Think your speaking total bollocks IMHO.

As mentioned, Iceland had many fully fledged Internationals in their team which, given their size, made life tough for us. They aint no mugs: recently gubbed a very good German youth side IIRC.

Our ball retention was fantastic, some great wing play with some neat passing. We struggled to find a killer touch in the box and I believe that was due to the solid display of their CH's.

Overall, great night. Would much rather watch that again that a 4-6-0 senior squad camped in their own half.

Good effore boys, no shame in losing to that team. Hopefuly the experience will make you better for it and please ignore such earlier posts who are far too quick to write off youngeters. :grr:

'If thats the future of Scottish fans then we are in serious trouble' should be the quote.

I don't think he is speaking total bollocks, in fact probably calls a lot of things correct.

I thought at the game that we were needing to freshen up the midfield, just before they scored, our lads had ran their hearts out on a big pitch.
It was also obvious from about 5 minutes in that their big Number 10 (their goalscorer) was running the show in the hole between midfield and strikers and we really needed somebody man marking him, which never happened.

However, that was the negatives, which I had never intended mentioning, from what was a thoroughly enjoyable game and I was really proud of every single player in the Scotland jersey. They gave their all, the passed the ball well and did it all AT PACE.
We even played with something called 'a winger' I have heard this expression but they had died with the Dodo, or was it with the Yogi?

I too was really impressed with Maguire, never thought he was all that good but if he could produce that every week, that laddie will be a star. Although it's a bit unfair to single him out as there were many very good performances last night and I really felt we deserved to win that game, certainly didn't deserve to lose it.

I have to say, watching the young Scottish team last night has given me a bit of enthusiasm back for the game and I would happily pay to watch that every week.

ronaldo7
12-10-2010, 09:30 AM
Before we conceded the first goal the game had gone really flat and the Scottish team were crying out for some changes.
Wotherspoon and the no. 6 looked like they were blowing out their ***** at that point, and Murphy hadn't made any decent contributions since the first 45.
If Stark had freshened it up before the first goal I think we could have rediscovered some of our first half momentum.
However, a considerably better performance than we were forced to endure on Friday, and some cracking game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:agree::top marks

Part/Time Supporter
12-10-2010, 09:31 AM
The end of the day the future of Icelandic football looks better than the future of Scottish football, thats the facts, if yous are happy with that then good on yous. The fact that they had full internationals in their team proves that they have better players. Its not as if they were 30 year old men. As someone said you will be lucky to get 3 players that move onto the full team in Scotland.

Not necessarily, as you are more liable to get younger players playing in the full international team of a smaller country due to the shallowness of the player pool. One of Iceland's "full internationals" is Eggert Jonsson FFS. It normally takes an exceptional to play at a young age for a bigger country (ie Maradona and Pele played at 16/17 for their national team).

Where Iceland really strengthened their U21 team was demoting Sigurdsson in particular. In reality he would be a first pick for their full team as well. They sacrificed any remote chance of getting results in their full qualifiers in order to qualify for the U21 tournament.

Sir David Gray
12-10-2010, 09:38 AM
I meant to mention this earlier on but did anyone else see the massive saltire in the East stand last night with "Dalbeattie Jambo" written on it? :bitchy:

I nearly dropped when I turned round and noticed it. :grr:

poolman
12-10-2010, 09:40 AM
I thought Bannan & Maguire were outstanding.:agree:

Have to agree with that

Bloody enjoyable night out last night :agree:

Sat just in front of Scotty Brown, he had a moon boot on :greengrin

euro Hibby
12-10-2010, 09:50 AM
Iceland have a small pool of players to choose from and this probably explains why many of them are already full internationals and so mature quicker.

THey have to leave home early to make money so they also grow up quicker and probably understand better work and play !

Now they seem to have a crop of good players all at the same time so they will be dangerousagainst anyone. I have not see any senior teams of late with the same desire to have a crack from 25-30 meters and pretty much hit the target.

Our lads were good but not quite at the same level hence the two defeats over the two legs.

Shell7
12-10-2010, 09:50 AM
I meant to mention this earlier on but did anyone else see the massive saltire in the East stand last night with "Dalbeattie Jambo" written on it? :bitchy:

What someone with a Saltire at a Scotland game :confused:

Sir David Gray
12-10-2010, 10:40 AM

No, not the saltire. It was what was written on the saltire that I was getting at.

I'm sure I wasn't the only person to notice it as there were other people there last night who I recognised from Hibs games and they were commenting on it as well.

It didn't overly bother me, I was just a bit surprised that someone would be brave enough to take a flag into Easter Road that had connections to Hearts, when it was more than likely that there would have been quite a lot of Hibs fans at that game last night. Even more shocked that it was taken into the East Stand.

It almost amounts to sacrilege.

MB62
12-10-2010, 10:42 AM

What, a Jambo that can write! :confused: :confused: :confused:

CRAZYHIBBY
12-10-2010, 10:49 AM
did finbogason play?? 21 year old striker and hibs fan

Craig_in_Prague
12-10-2010, 10:54 AM
Not sure that Ian Cocker should have said some of the things he came out with:

1. Hibs having not won at home since March, at least 3x
2. E. Johnson lost only 1 game in 7 ar ER with Hearts
3. Clarke and Stark potentially lined up for Hibs job
etc

Guy's a twat and the English guy we'll get tonight that does Scotland games is annoying as **** tae.

we are hibs
12-10-2010, 10:55 AM
Really enjoyed the game last night, best game of football i've been at in months! Went right to the back of the East, what a view!

i was right at the back off the west upper tier and view was amazing too

Johnny_Leith
12-10-2010, 11:00 AM
Sat in the West presuming that everyone would go into the East and I wanted to see it full with the floodlights, it looks phenominal :thumbsup:

I thought Scotland we're dying for changed around 65 minutes, Murphy looked tired and Wortherspoon has lost his way a bit. Goodwillie and Templeton should have been on instead of them.

As a neutral of sorts, it was a great game to watch with 3 fantastic goals! Barry Bannan and Sigurdsson were the best players on the pitch. You can see why Hoffenheim paid £7m for Sigurdsson(Icelands no.10)

Hibercelona
12-10-2010, 11:11 AM
Welldone to everybody that made it last night. It was a fantastic turn out! :thumbsup:

Don't think i'll ever witness a goal like that again in my life. Unbelievable! :thumbsup:

All the goals were fantastic over the course of the 2 games. Well done to the youngsters from both sides for providing a very enjoyable match. :agree:

Doubt next weekend will be as enjoyable. :boo hoo: Heres hoping though eh.

MB62
12-10-2010, 11:12 AM

They did mention something about an icelandic player being brought up in Edinburgh but I missed who they were talking about.

Hibercelona
12-10-2010, 11:16 AM

Was sitting in the west and had a clear view of it! :grr:

I just about had my torch at the ready! :grr:

frazeHFC
12-10-2010, 03:56 PM
Never went but watched it on tele, was brilliant, much better to watch then the first team.

Came on from the bench fairly late on, used to be at Hutch Vale and i think Celtic.

Stantons Angel
12-10-2010, 03:58 PM
Ive just read through the posts on this subject and for GAWDS sake!

It was good last night to come away feeling i had enjoyed that game. Why on earth must you spoil things with your negativity?

All of us who wanted to show how much we enjoyed the football played were just trying to put over how much a change it was. We also wanted to show our appreciation of the effort the kids had put into the game with no reward.

Im not saying things are perfect and i know overall things need to be better.

BUT cant you just let the posters show a wee bit of the much sought after "feelgood factor".

You never know you may even like it.
:bitchy:

Golden Bear
12-10-2010, 04:16 PM
Organisation. Application. Teamspirit. Skill. Desire to win.

All of these words could describe last night's performance by the young 'uns. A thoroughly enjoyable night but shame about the result.

Oh how I wish a certain team in green & white could display the same attributes!

Sir David Gray
12-10-2010, 06:41 PM
Was sitting in the west and had a clear view of it! :grr:

I just about had my torch at the ready! :grr:

I had to sit in front of the thing for 90 minutes. :grr: