PDA

View Full Version : Wide pitch and wingers

macca70
11-10-2010, 09:14 PM
The pitch looked so wide tonight and Scotland looked so dangerous going forward with a winger way out on either wing.

Obviously, the quality of the winger makes a difference but whoever comes in has to play with width.

Yogi seemed insistent that noone was to go within 10 yards of either touchline and IMO is the reason we've not won there since March.

Bring back Ivan, he would run riot down those wings :)

The Harp Awakes
11-10-2010, 10:58 PM
The pitch looked so wide tonight and Scotland looked so dangerous going forward with a winger way out on either wing.

Obviously, the quality of the winger makes a difference but whoever comes in has to play with width.

Yogi seemed insistent that noone was to go within 10 yards of either touchline and IMO is the reason we've not won there since March.

Totally agree. Makes you wonder how Stokes and Riordan managed to score 40 goals between them last season. They were feeding off scraps and who knows how many they'd have scored if we had played with a winger like Sproule.

hibsbollah
12-10-2010, 11:08 AM

I posted the same a few weeks back, but apparently Ivan is not up to hibs class standard anymore:rolleyes: Personally I think he'd give us that speed dimension we lack in forward areas, and the point about the wide pitch is spot on.

SMAXXA
12-10-2010, 11:21 AM

Totally agree the pitch looks massive, if we dont make use of that going forward with wide players playing exactly that....wide, we are missing a trick. Felt pretty proud watching that game last night, ER looks quality, not so sure about the advertising on the corner cladding would love to have seen some old photos of past players, glory days etc but hey its revenue so cant be turning their nose up at it.

MyJo
12-10-2010, 11:39 AM
quick fix for the new manager, get galbraith on the left and De Graaf on the right and let them play like wingers

superfurryhibby
12-10-2010, 12:27 PM
We definitely need to play with more width. Ivan would be welcomed back by me and would have the space required to do some damage.

Not sure that Galbraith has what it takes, from what I've seen. As for De Graff, I don't know position suits him but I do know that he ain't no winger (nae pace, nae touch, wants to drift inside all the time)

Cocaine&Caviar
12-10-2010, 02:24 PM
We definitely need to play with more width. Ivan would be welcomed back by me and would have the space required to do some damage.

Not sure that Galbraith has what it takes, from what I've seen. As for De Graff, I don't know position suits him but I do know that he ain't no winger (nae pace, nae touch, wants to drift inside all the time)

What have you seen? Every time he has played, mostly coming off the bench, he's been very good and brought immediate energy to the team, and willing and capable to beat a man.

Hibee Daz
12-10-2010, 02:45 PM
quick fix for the new manager, get galbraith on the left and De Graaf on the right and let them play like wingers

I agree that Danny has earned the right to start and he should have done a while ago but, the only wing De Guff should be allowed near is the one on his plane back to Holland.

Stephen Hawkings wheelchair has faster acceleration than De Graff!

alex74
12-10-2010, 02:48 PM

Bring back Ivan, he would run riot down those wings :)whats wrong with alan obrian like

M11BMO
12-10-2010, 02:49 PM

I made this exact point after the Maribor game. We are so one dimensional it's unreal. Teams can read our punt up the middle all day.

Hibee Daz
12-10-2010, 02:51 PM
What have you seen? Every time he has played, mostly coming off the bench, he's been very good and brought immediate energy to the team, and willing and capable to beat a man.

Spot on dude :agree:, he has put some great crosses into dangerous areas in the box when he has came on, it's just a pity we've only had Van Nishterooy trying to get on the end of them!

The_Horde
12-10-2010, 03:31 PM
Spot on dude :agree:, he has put some great crosses into dangerous areas in the box when he has came on, it's just a pity we've only had Van Nishterooy trying to get on the end of them!

When Wotherspoon first came through he was terrific at hitting the line and putting in some great crosses. Since afer his first few games he hasn't been anywhere near to getting into the positions to do so again.

SMAXXA
12-10-2010, 03:37 PM

Has he scored yet this season out of interest Cant recall he has?

Hibee Daz
12-10-2010, 03:56 PM
;2604628']When Wotherspoon first came through he was terrific at hitting the line and putting in some great crosses. Since afer his first few games he hasn't been anywhere near to getting into the positions to do so again.

We're talking about Galbraith though and he's got a couple more years experience than Spoony, therefore he is less likely to suffer burn out caused by expecting to much to soon from such an inexperienced player!

To be fair to Spoony though, I thought he had a good game for the U21's on Monday so hopefully that has given his confidence a wee boost!

Hibee Daz
12-10-2010, 04:01 PM
Has he scored yet this season out of interest Cant recall he has?

NO :taxi awaits!

alex74
12-10-2010, 05:01 PM
NO :taxi awaits!a think hes been unlucky am sure the goals will come hes been getting in good positions with the goalkeepers pulling of world klass saves hes just needing that first goal his workrate is second to none and linkup play is a dream for any forward to play along side so i reckon the bigman will hit 2o goals this season anyone agree.

Hibee Daz
12-10-2010, 06:33 PM
a think hes been unlucky am sure the goals will come hes been getting in good positions with the goalkeepers pulling of world klass saves hes just needing that first goal his workrate is second to none and linkup play is a dream for any forward to play along side so i reckon the bigman will hit 2o goals this season anyone agree.

Fair play to you for backing big Nishy, I do as well when I'm at ER but lets face facts Nish has never scored 20 goals in a season and his goals to games ratio is roughly 1 in 4 usually, although it's a big fat zero in 10 in all competition's this season.

So can I just ask why you think he will get 20 goals this season?

I don't agree with the abuse he receives at games but I do understand peoples frustrations!
I know he is better player when the ball is played to his feet and not hoofed up to him but, he has far too many flaws in his game to be good enough to play for a top SPL side IMO.
:taxi

alex74
12-10-2010, 06:43 PM
Fair play to you for backing big Nishy, I do as well when I'm at ER but lets face facts Nish has never scored 20 goals in a season and his goals to games ratio is roughly 1 in 4 usually, although it's a big fat zero in 10 in all competition's this season.

So can I just ask why you think he will get 20 goals this season?

I don't agree with the abuse he receives at games but I do understand peoples frustrations!
I know he is better player when the ball is played to his feet and not hoofed up to him but, he has far too many flaws in his game to be good enough to play for a top SPL side IMO.
:taxia just think hes a goal machine if he gets the right partner beside him and right service,he remembers me of peter crouch what do you think

SMAXXA
12-10-2010, 08:02 PM
a just think hes a goal machine if he gets the right partner beside him and right service,he remembers me of peter crouch what do you think

:faf::faf::faf:

alex74
13-10-2010, 11:17 AM
:faf::faf::faf:a cant beleive he thought a was being serious:agree:

Hibee Daz
13-10-2010, 05:35 PM
a just think hes a goal machine if he gets the right partner beside him and right service,he remembers me of peter crouch what do you think

I think you play to much FIFA dude, as I can't ever remember Nishy being considered a goal machine!

Why does Nishy remind you of Crouch, does he sleep with prozzy's as well?:wink:

alex74
13-10-2010, 05:52 PM
I think you play to much FIFA dude, as I can't ever remember Nishy being considered a goal machine!

Why does Nishy remind you of Crouch, does he sleep with prozzy's as well?:wink:
they have the same shoe size:aok:

erin go bragh
13-10-2010, 09:52 PM
the lad humphrey from motherwell looks a player:agree:

Albion Hibs
13-10-2010, 09:56 PM
the lad humphrey from motherwell looks a player:agree:

Seems to have done alright this season, but he was minging last year when we played them. In fact remember him being taken off a fir park has murray did not give him a look in the whole match.