PDA

View Full Version : Sunshine on Leith ....in Belfast

Crazyhorse
11-10-2010, 04:11 PM
Its been rather depressing being a Hibs supporter recently (in fact I have to confess I didn't even check to see how much St Johnstone had beaten us by until about half 5 last week).

But I went along to see Sunshine on Leith in the Grand Opera House in Belfast last saturday night (along with most of the NI Hibs SC members) and it made me happy to be a hibee again.

Great show - congratulations to Billy Boyd and all the cast.

Littlest Hobo
11-10-2010, 04:19 PM
Its been rather depressing being a Hibs supporter recently (in fact I have to confess I didn't even check to see how much St Johnstone had beaten us by until about half 5 last week).

But I went along to see Sunshine on Leith in the Grand Opera House in Belfast last saturday night (along with most of the NI Hibs SC members) and it made me happy to be a hibee again.

:thumbsup: Going to see it on sat night at the festival theatre, looking forward to it. :thumbsup:

hibeenicol
11-10-2010, 04:25 PM
Going to see it on friday in edinburgh really looking forward to it:agree:

offshorehibby
11-10-2010, 06:14 PM
I've missed it every time it's been in Edinburgh but will finally get the chance at the Festival theatre on Friday

Keith_M
12-10-2010, 10:57 AM

Did they get a decent sized audience?

linlithgowhibbie
12-10-2010, 05:42 PM
Probably all between 5' 2" - 6'2":wink:

Mary Hinge
12-10-2010, 06:07 PM
Me too ....... canny wait for Friday :thumbsup:

Kojock
12-10-2010, 06:23 PM

I went to see it the last time it was in Edinburgh. Before the performance started the theatre chairman mingled with the people in the bar but he cleverly evaded any questions put to him.

The evening started bad when spectators started booing when the cast was announced. Then people arrived late and others started to stand when it was evident it was all seated. The guy beside me started singing but we soon gave him a look and he quickly shut up. Mind you he told us that he had paid for his ticket and could sing / shout what he wanted.

Just before the interval people started going to the toilet and the food kiosks blocking peoples view, by the time I got there they had run out of ice cream and the Nachos were cold.

Went to the toilet and it was mobbed, some ignorant sods were smoking, cant they go an hour and a half without a fag.

The second half was really poor, the play was one dimensional and there was nobody in the wings. The main star was having an off night and the audience didnt take long to let him know they were not happy.

People started screaming at the producer to bring on the understudy but he just ignored them, dont think it will be long before he is out a job.

Ten minutes to go and lots of folk started leaving, I politely asked one departing gent why after paying for a ticket was he leaving early and he told me to **** off. I was having none of that and reported him to an usherette.

The usherette wasnt interested and told me if I didnt go back to my seat I would be ejected. What a jobsworth she was, give them a torch and they go power mad.

Anyway I stayed to the very end and applauded the cast off the stage. However as they were leaving the crowd started abusing them, I dont think I have ever been so embarrassed to call myself a theatre goer.

Alright it wasnt the best performance of the season but there were signs that they were starting to gel and there seemed to be a better understanding between the cast.

Some folk just need to get a grip :grr:

I blame the theatre owner, maybe he did save the theatre from closing down in 1990 but he made a healthy profit from the surrounding land so why should be greatfull to him. Its about time he stood aside and let someone who is prepaired to inject some cash step in.

Davy Mac
12-10-2010, 06:39 PM
I went to see it the last time it was in Edinburgh. Before the performance started the producer mingled with the people in the bar but he cleverly evaded any questions put to him.

The evening started bad when spectators started booing when the cast was announced. Then people arrived late and others started to stand when it was evident it was all seated. The guy beside me started singing but we soon gave him a look and he quickly shut up. Mind you he told us that he had paid for his ticket and could sing / shout what he wanted.

Just before the interval people started going to the toilet and the food kiosks blocking peoples view, by the time I got there they had run out of ice cream and the Nachos were cold.

Went to the toilet and it was mobbed, some ignorant sods were smoking, cant they go an hour and a half without a fag.

The second half was really poor, the play was one dimensional and there was nobody in the wings. The main star was having an off night and the audience didnt take long to let him know they were not happy.

People started screaming at the producer to bring on the understudy but he just ignored them, dont think it will be long before he is out a job.

Ten minutes to go and lots of folk started leaving, I politely asked one departing gent why after paying for a ticket was he leaving early and he told me to **** off. I was having none of that and reported him to an usherette.

The usherette wasnt interested and told me if I didnt go back to my seat I would be ejected. What a jobsworth she was, give them a torch and they go power mad.

Anyway I stayed to the very end and applauded the cast off the stage. However as they were leaving the crowd started abusing them, I dont think I have ever been so embarrassed to call myself a theatre goer.

Alright it wasnt the best performance of the season but there were signs that they were starting to gel and there seemed to be a better understanding between the cast.

Sounds like Yogi's last game in charge :greengrin

Crazyhorse
12-10-2010, 06:46 PM

I was in the circle (its an old style Victorian auditorium so I couldn't see most of the stalls) and that was pretty full.

cabbageandribs1875
12-10-2010, 07:34 PM

not being funny but, what were you expecting the usherette to do when you reported him ?:confused: chuck him out ? he was leaving anyway:confused:

Sylar
12-10-2010, 07:38 PM
I wonder how many of the Dundee Rep ensemble are touring with the production, as they really make it for me :agree:

I was at the closing night at the Rep in Dundee, and although it was still a good night out, I wasn't as impressed as I had been recently. Boyds' voice wasn't as impressive as I was perhaps expecting having heard his contribution to the LOTR soundtrack.

Still, he played his part well, and the periods in between the musical, which relied more on his acting skills were impressive. They had to bring in someone pretty special to continue the success of the musical.

Was sold out every night/matinee in Dundee and I'm guessing it will do equally as well in Edinburgh.

Prawn Sandwich
12-10-2010, 08:38 PM
I have heard a wee whisper that Thursday is going to be a night to remember?

hibbie02
12-10-2010, 09:39 PM

I am sorry I really don't understand this bit.... You get upset because you decide to question someone about why they are opting to leave a show they are not enjoying and they tell you to **** off. You then get the hump and "report" him to an usherette!!!

FFS what's all this about reporting him??? Do we report people in this country when they upset you? Report him for what? Swearing? We would all be in trouble if that was an offence!!! And what sort of official is an usherette? What power do you think an usherette wields in this Stalinist state create by Glorious Leader Brown??? Jeezo! What sort of world are we living in when people are reported to anyone in a uniform, even if it is a pinny and a torch!!! :grr:

tony higgins
13-10-2010, 12:33 AM
I went to see it the last time it was in Edinburgh. Before the performance started the theatre chairman mingled with the people in the bar but he cleverly evaded any questions put to him.

I blame the theatre owner, maybe he did save the theatre from closing down in 1990 but he made a healthy profit from the surrounding land so why should be greatfull to him. Its about time he stood aside and let someone who is prepaired to inject some cash step in.

:top marks

Slightly worried certain people didn,t understand your effort.

Calvin
13-10-2010, 03:34 AM
:top marks

Slightly worried certain people didn,t understand your effort.

Some classic replies in this thread! :greengrin

hibeenicol
13-10-2010, 06:20 AM
I am sorry I really don't understand this bit.... You get upset because you decide to question someone about why they are opting to leave a show they are not enjoying and they tell you to **** off. You then get the hump and "report" him to an usherette!!!

FFS what's all this about reporting him??? Do we report people in this country when they upset you? Report him for what? Swearing? We would all be in trouble if that was an offence!!! And what sort of official is an usherette? What power do you think an usherette wields in this Stalinist state create by Glorious Leader Brown??? Jeezo! What sort of world are we living in when people are reported to anyone in a uniform, even if it is a pinny and a torch!!! :grr:

Whoosh :faf:

bighairyfaeleith
13-10-2010, 06:31 AM
Went to see this about two years ago at the Festival theatre and it was bloody brilliant. I'm not really into theatre and all that sort of stuff, but loved every minute of this show. Look out for the bit about Leith, the only place with a shop that repairs darts and tv's in the same shop:thumbsup:

Just brilliant:agree:

Sylar
13-10-2010, 07:26 AM

:greengrin :hide:

stanton_4
13-10-2010, 08:14 AM
I wonder how many of the Dundee Rep ensemble are touring with the production, as they really make it for me :agree:

I was at the closing night at the Rep in Dundee, and although it was still a good night out, I wasn't as impressed as I had been recently. Boyds' voice wasn't as impressive as I was perhaps expecting having heard his contribution to the LOTR soundtrack.

Still, he played his part well, and the periods in between the musical, which relied more on his acting skills were impressive. They had to bring in someone pretty special to continue the success of the musical.

Was sold out every night/matinee in Dundee and I'm guessing it will do equally as well in Edinburgh.

Went to see it last. I was the exact opposite cos I was impressed at what a good singer Boyd was. His voice was strong and has a lovely tone. Maybe he's raised his game who knows. The 2 actors that play his mum and dad were the stand out for me, even if the dads Dundee drawl did sift through from time to time lol. Certainly 100% effort from the entire cast and all in all a thoroughly entertaining night out.

hibbymac
13-10-2010, 08:24 AM

:doh:

Kojock
13-10-2010, 09:16 AM

You seem to underestimate the power of an usherette, maybe its just a pinny and a torch to you, but when you were caught talking during the main feature and that torch shone in your face you just knew what the consequences would be:lips seal:take that

Crazyhorse
13-10-2010, 09:40 AM
You seem to underestimate the power of an usherette, maybe its just a pinny and a torch to you, but when you were caught talking during the main feature and that torch shone in your face you just knew what the consequences would be:lips seal:take that

This thread sort of illustrates what happens on hibsnet too much. My original message was probably the least controversial thing anyone's ever posted but a bizarre fight has broken out...reminds me of home...

Anyway as to the show I thought the whole cast were very good and the central family was excellent - both singing and acting. Some truly emotional moments. One for me was when the Billy Boyd character gives his sister his hibs scarf to put in her case as she is leaving for her new job in Americay....touched my heart anyway.

Kaiser_Sauzee
13-10-2010, 09:49 AM
:greengrin

He got you good. :grr:

Pretty Boy
13-10-2010, 10:15 AM

:faf: It made me laugh.

Even if one or two others appear to have had a sense of humour failure.

Keith_M
13-10-2010, 10:45 AM
Sense of humour bypass evident on this thread.

:greengrin

Littlest Hobo
13-10-2010, 10:54 AM

:faf::greengrin:top marks Had to read it a couple of times I admit but got there in the end.

Phil MaGlass
13-10-2010, 11:49 AM
Nice one:greengrin

flash
13-10-2010, 11:55 AM
Friday night for myself and my good lady. I have seen it before but not with the new cast and can't wait as it was great fun last time.

MSK
13-10-2010, 02:54 PM

I blame the theatre owner, maybe he did save the theatre from closing down in 1990 but he made a healthy profit from the surrounding land so why should be greatfull to him. Its about time he stood aside and let someone who is prepaired to inject some cash step in.:thumbsup:

Dashing Bob S
13-10-2010, 03:39 PM

Oh you beauty...surely an ironic reverse wind-up here? Surely?

lyonhibs
13-10-2010, 06:46 PM
Oh you beauty...surely an ironic reverse wind-up here? Surely?

Who do you think you are??? Some sort of "Uber-theatre go-er" just because you've not missed a Saturday matinee at The Playhouse for 25 years??

Some people can't afford to go to the theatre that often, so I'm not surprised the gent in question was riled by some luminous-clad jobsworth and the uncouth nature of his fellow patrons!!

:grr::grr:

lucky
13-10-2010, 07:00 PM
Surely there are some undercover yams on this thread. Are Hibbies really that thick. Well done hot shot made me laugh

JoeTortolanoFanClub
15-10-2010, 01:46 PM
Saw it last night at the Festival Theatre. Really enjoyed it. Seats (I was in the stalls) were pretty uncomfortable though.

Mibbes Aye
15-10-2010, 03:06 PM
Who do you think you are??? Some sort of "Uber-theatre go-er" just because you've not missed a Saturday matinee at The Playhouse for 25 years??

Some people can't afford to go to the theatre that often, so I'm not surprised the gent in question was riled by some luminous-clad jobsworth and the uncouth nature of his fellow patrons!!

:grr::grr:

:agree:

Especially when you can stay in and watch the RSC from down South on BBC4 - much better quality.

We've spent so much on erecting the third-best backdrops and lighting rigs in Scotland, and that's fair enough, but the box office receipts must go on actors from now on.

Brizo
15-10-2010, 03:30 PM

:top marks :faf::faf:

hibeenicol
15-10-2010, 10:08 PM
had a brilliant night. The show was brilliant best i've seen. Also met yogi there top man. Wished him all the best for the future.
So if you get a chance to go and see sunshine on leith do it.

alex74
15-10-2010, 10:15 PM
had a brilliant night. The show was brilliant best i've seen. Also met yogi there top man. Wished him all the best for the future.
So if you get a chance to go and see sunshine on leith do it.How long is it on for m8 did you ask yogi why he played Colin NISH:agree:

hibeenicol
15-10-2010, 10:18 PM
last night tomorrow i think. Never asked why he played nish as that would of been disrespectful the nish and the man john hughes.

alex74
15-10-2010, 10:31 PM
last night tomorrow i think. Never asked why he played nish as that would of been disrespectful the nish and the man john hughes.hOW its what we all want to know

matty_f
16-10-2010, 06:36 AM
So if you get a chance to go and see sunshine on leith do it.

Mrs F went last night and said it was fantastic.:thumbsup:

Mary Hinge
16-10-2010, 10:50 AM
Me and the missus were also there last night and the show was first class :thumbsup:

Carheenlea
16-10-2010, 11:14 AM
Was there last night as well, and thoroughly enjoyed it, first time I'd seen it and was a lot better and different to what I was expecting. Would definately recommend it.

Alfred E Newman
16-10-2010, 12:04 PM
Great show.
Having paid my money and having the right to do what I want , I left with 5 mins to go to beat the traffic, how did it end? :greengrin