PDA

View Full Version : X Factor

AFKA5814_Hibs
09-10-2010, 09:50 PM
I'm sure most people won't really care. :greengrin But who do you reckon should be booted out 1st week?

Wagner and Belle Amie for me.

HibeeMG
09-10-2010, 10:00 PM
I'm sure most people won't really care. :greengrin But who do you reckon should be booted out 1st week?

Yep, they were the two for me.

Mary and Aiden were the best out of what was a pretty ordinary and weird first show.

Pete
09-10-2010, 10:06 PM
I was expecting a short bus journey but I went through a long-haul flight!

I don't know who should go but if that shy painter and decorator doesn't win there's something wrong.

I'm a straight man but I could listen to that guy sing all night. I almost want him to start getting into all that falseto stuff.

Forget everyone else...he is what this show should be all about. A real talent that is too shy to make it normally, takes a punt and get recognised.

SteveHFC
09-10-2010, 10:11 PM
Wagner and 1 Direction.

Woody1985
09-10-2010, 10:11 PM
One of the guys, think he had shades on. He was murder. The best was Mary, I hope she wins but it's unlikely. She needs more songs like that to stay in but might struggle singing boyband pish later in the show.

Pete
09-10-2010, 10:31 PM
One of the guys, think he had shades on. He was murder. The best was Mary, I hope she wins but it's unlikely. She needs more songs like that to stay in but might struggle singing boyband pish later in the show.

That Mary was good but I couldn't get away from the original song.

To be honest it's embarrassing when the real performing artists come in during the final and show a lot of them up for what they are...karaoke performers. I've yet to see one act outperform their professional helper.

I think this Cardle boy might be the exception though. I think if he gets going he will compliment anyone who is with him.

HibeeMG
09-10-2010, 10:32 PM
I was expecting a short bus journey but I went through a long-haul flight!

I don't know who should go but if that shy painter and decorator doesn't win there's something wrong.

I'm a straight man but I could listen to that guy sing all night. I almost want him to start getting into all that falseto stuff.

Forget everyone else...he is what this show should be all about. A real talent that is too shy to make it normally, takes a punt and get recognised.

That guy, Matt, wasn't brilliant tonight but his version of The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face in the boot camp was probably the best vocal I've heard on this show.

He should win given the right songs. I didn't think that was for him tonight though.

Removed
09-10-2010, 10:49 PM
The whole thing is past it's sell by date for me - that's why they have resorted to adding the twists. The freaks in the auditions are funny but that tonight was a bit embarrasing imo.

We got better entertainment last night from Prague.

Hibbie_Cameron
10-10-2010, 12:40 AM
Agree with 65bd in that its past its sell by date.

The best singer in the whole competition is the lassie Gamu and she never even got to the live shows, thats how much trash its become.

The whole show is about the judges getting one over each other.

Dont even get me started on that dancing show:grr:

Phil D. Rolls
10-10-2010, 12:51 PM
I'd empty that talentless wannabe who is copying Lady GaGa - Katie Something. "There's no one like me, I'm unique", actually she's wrong.

All mouth, got a helping hand through the audtions because Cheryl "Ah Really Feel That" Cole, made the mistake of trying to be clever.

Cole is starting to be shown up as somebody with nothing to offer in this series. All it took was for Cowell to stop telling her what to say and she is flapping about.

I don't like Cheryl, because she typifies the presentation over content approach. Millions of wee schemettes see her as a role model, when she has no artistic ability, and struggles to speak English that other people can understand.

What better representative for a generation who expect instant gratification, and to be rewarded regardless of their abilities. If people can get a house without working, then why shouldn't they be stars when they can't sing/dance/make people laugh?

When she is confronted by real talent, like wee Gamu, she turns her nose up because they don't look cool enough. Cheryl Cole is the leading light of the DFS generation.

Hibbie_Cameron
10-10-2010, 12:54 PM
I'd empty that talentless wannabe who is copying Lady GaGa - Katie Something. "There's no one like me, I'm unique", actually she's wrong.

All mouth, got a helping hand through the audtions because Cheryl "Ah Really Feel That" Cole, made the mistake of trying to be clever.

Cole is starting to be shown up as somebody with nothing to offer in this series. All it took was for Cowell to stop telling her what to say and she is flapping about.

I don't like Cheryl, because she typifies the presentation over content approach. Millions of wee schemettes see her as a role model, when she has no artistic ability, and struggles to speak English that other people can understand.

When she is confronted by real talent, like wee Gamu, she turns her nose up because they don't look cool enough. Cheryl Cole is the leading light of the DFS generation.

:agree::agree::top marks

OtterHibee
10-10-2010, 03:09 PM

You could reel them off - Wagner, Belle Amie, Nicolo, Katie, 1 Direction, those two creepy camp chaps that Cowell put through for some reason, ... To pick two, probably Wagner and either Nicolo or Katie, simply for being cocky, mouthy sods with very little talent to show for it. She's not going to go, but I can't stand that lass Cher either :bitchy:

I've thankfully managed to avoid it for the last few years, and had planned to do likewise this year, before I came across Aiden Grimshaw and Matt Cardle. Can't get enough of their voices at the minute. I also agree that Mary's vocals were pretty good last night, though I'm no great fan of hers.

Woody1985
10-10-2010, 07:46 PM
Aiden looks like he's having a fit when he sings. Freaky

Riordans Boots
10-10-2010, 10:05 PM
Wagner and Diva Fever through :grr: :bitchy: :wtf:

Pretty Boy
11-10-2010, 08:13 AM

What better representative for a generation who expect instant gratification, and to be rewarded regardless of their abilities. If people can get a house without working, then why shouldn't they be stars when they can't sing/dance/make people laugh?

:top marks

Possibly the best post i have ever read on here.

Phil D. Rolls
11-10-2010, 09:09 AM
Wagner and Diva Fever through :grr: :bitchy: :wtf:

Wagner is filling the car crash TV slot vacated by Jedward (who incidentally have done a lot better than that bore who won it last year).

Possibly the best post i have ever read on here.

Thanks, that's very kind. :thumbsup:

Future17
11-10-2010, 09:29 PM

X Factor is not simply a competition to find the best singer, it's a competition to find "a pop star" or, to be more accurate, someone who will sell a lot of records.

In that regard, Cheryl Cole is employed to reject someone who she doesn't believe is "cool enough". So basically, by your statement above, you're actually agreeing that Cheryl has made the right choice.

LALthehibeeGAL
11-10-2010, 09:42 PM

couldnae put it better myself -:top marks:agree::thumbsup:

total pants this year it is and always has been about the judges and Simon v. Louis etc... well past its sell by date.

Lal:wink:

Hibs90
11-10-2010, 10:06 PM
Katie FTW. :agree:

Riordans Boots
11-10-2010, 10:09 PM
Rebecca or Cher to win :agree:

blackpoolhibs
11-10-2010, 10:17 PM
There's nobody in this years show with the x factor imho. This lot are very poor, with a couple of average singers.

Phil D. Rolls
12-10-2010, 01:33 PM
X Factor is not simply a competition to find the best singer, it's a competition to find "a pop star" or, to be more accurate, someone who will sell a lot of records.

In that regard, Cheryl Cole is employed to reject someone who she doesn't believe is "cool enough". So basically, by your statement above, you're actually agreeing that Cheryl has made the right choice.

Not really, they are looking for someone who has the "X Factor", Cheryl has a very limited understanding of what that is. She is formulaic, and doesn't seem to be able to empathise with the fact that quirkiness is more likely to win through than chain store cool.

On a serious note, Cheryl looked pretty unwell on Sunday's programme. I get the impression she's far from over her bout of malaria.

easty
13-10-2010, 02:52 PM

While I dont doubt that Gamu is a better singer than Cher or Katie, I cant help but think that her 'talent' has been blown way out of proportion due to the tabloids. The fat lad, Paige (I think thats his name) wasnt picked for the live shows, before the 'wildcard' thing, but he is a very good singer as well. No tabloid/public backlash against the decision not to take him though.

Phil D. Rolls
13-10-2010, 05:07 PM
While I dont doubt that Gamu is a better singer than Cher or Katie, I cant help but think that her 'talent' has been blown way out of proportion due to the tabloids. The fat lad, Paige (I think thats his name) wasnt picked for the live shows, before the 'wildcard' thing, but he is a very good singer as well. No tabloid/public backlash against the decision not to take him though.

I think people could see that the group he was in was much more competitive though. Cheryl put through two performers that fluffed their auditions in front of a very good singer. In the case of one Katie, she fluffed her first audition as well.

Future17
13-10-2010, 05:21 PM
Not really, they are looking for someone who has the "X Factor", Cheryl has a very limited understanding of what that is. She is formulaic, and doesn't seem to be able to empathise with the fact that quirkiness is more likely to win through than chain store cool.

What are you basing this on? Unless you have more experience of the financial upper echelons of the music/celebrity industry than Cheryl Cole, surely she has a better understanding of the type of person "The X Factor" is looking for than you do?

If you look at past winners of the show and their careers after emerging victorious, the only ones who have achieved any degree of success are those who have released true "pop" tracks in the market. With that in mind, can you picture Gamu as a "pop" artist?

FWIW, I think Katie's audition failures should have removed her from the competition as well, however it is still easier to picture her becoming a successful X Factor winner than Gamu.

Phil D. Rolls
13-10-2010, 05:44 PM
What are you basing this on? Unless you have more experience of the financial upper echelons of the music/celebrity industry than Cheryl Cole, surely she has a better understanding of the type of person "The X Factor" is looking for than you do?

If you look at past winners of the show and their careers after emerging victorious, the only ones who have achieved any degree of success are those who have released true "pop" tracks in the market. With that in mind, can you picture Gamu as a "pop" artist?

FWIW, I think Katie's audition failures should have removed her from the competition as well, however it is still easier to picture her becoming a successful X Factor winner than Gamu.

Cheryl has experience of one very small sector of the music market. Let's be honest "Girls Aloud" were hardly that succesful. My argument is that she is entrenched in one way of thinking, and "the kids" are always looking for something new.

I'm sure Cheryl is absolutely perplexed by the success of GaGa or Amy Winehouse. Gamu may or may not have been a pop star but justice says she should have been given a chance.

She was more unique than the people who were chosen. Maybe the case that, with the right producer, she wouldn't be out of place on Jools Holland as opposed to Cheryl's Christmas Special, means that she is not an X Factor winner.

Cheryl is like Cilla Black, regional, working class, and a rubbish singer. But Cilla had wit and a bit of charm. Cheryl is just boring.

seanraff07
13-10-2010, 06:12 PM
Rebecca or Cher to win :agree:

Agreed :agree:

Allant1981
14-10-2010, 03:34 AM
Cheryl has experience of one very small sector of the music market. Let's be honest "Girls Aloud" were hardly that succesful. My argument is that she is entrenched in one way of thinking, and "the kids" are always looking for something new.

I'm sure Cheryl is absolutely perplexed by the success of GaGa or Amy Winehouse. Gamu may or may not have been a pop star but justice says she should have been given a chance.

She was more unique than the people who were chosen. Maybe the case that, with the right producer, she wouldn't be out of place on Jools Holland as opposed to Cheryl's Christmas Special, means that she is not an X Factor winner.

Cheryl is like Cilla Black, regional, working class, and a rubbish singer. But Cilla had wit and a bit of charm. Cheryl is just boring.

I dont really like girls aloud but they have had 20 consecutive top ten singles including 4 number 1's, 2 number 1 albums both platinum and got the best single in 2009. Not bad going for a band who really havent done anything!

easty
14-10-2010, 08:24 AM

How was she more unique? What makes her different/better/special? I don't think seeing someone a few times singing other peoples songs makes someone seem unique. She really wasnt that great a singer....she was good, but being better singer than Cher/Katie doesn't mean much.

Phil D. Rolls
14-10-2010, 09:12 AM
I dont really like girls aloud but they have had 20 consecutive top ten singles including 4 number 1's, 2 number 1 albums both platinum and got the best single in 2009. Not bad going for a band who really havent done anything!

When I talk about making a significant impact on the charts I'm comparing sales to the peak period of the 1970s. The fact that you can get a number One these days with 30,000 copies sold, a top ten hit with 13,000 and a top forty place with 2,500 sales, means that the likes of Girls aloud cannot be seriously compared to the likes of the Beatles, Abba, or even the Spice Girls.

So, no I don't think they've made much of an impact.

How was she more unique? What makes her different/better/special? I don't think seeing someone a few times singing other peoples songs makes someone seem unique. She really wasnt that great a singer....she was good, but being better singer than Cher/Katie doesn't mean much.

My opinion that's all.

steve75
14-10-2010, 10:28 PM
Matt Cardle's band, for anyone who hasn't seen this.

The album was only released in January, it's pretty good. I'm surprised he went for X-Factor. Then again, I probably wouldn't have heard of it without X-Factor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3K15_PCfn8

Allant1981
15-10-2010, 12:49 AM
When I talk about making a significant impact on the charts I'm comparing sales to the peak period of the 1970s. The fact that you can get a number One these days with 30,000 copies sold, a top ten hit with 13,000 and a top forty place with 2,500 sales, means that the likes of Girls aloud cannot be seriously compared to the likes of the Beatles, Abba, or even the Spice Girls.

So, no I don't think they've made much of an impact.

My opinion that's all.

dont really see how you can compare todays music sales/scene to something that happened 30 odd years ago when the only way you could listen to music was either buy a single/record or the radio. There are so many more ways now to listen to the band of your choice. Im sure if you ask any teenage girl/boy if they think girls aloud are a big group then the answer will be yes

Betty Boop
15-10-2010, 08:17 AM

The album was only released in January, it's pretty good. I'm surprised he went for X-Factor. Then again, I probably wouldn't have heard of it without X-Factor

I love this guy ! When I heard him singing 'The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face', I cried. He has a great voice ! :greengrin

Pretty Boy
15-10-2010, 08:35 AM

This is a guy who is genuinely talented. If there was any justice and the show was really about uncovering true talent he would win hands down. He has an absolutely brilliant voice thats is very, very different from a lot of whats out there.

He also has a self depricating quality about him and a lack of confidence that i find quite appealing. He's certainly a lot more unique and would be a far more worthy winner than exceptionally annoying, wannabe black but so, so white, 'unique' Cher.

Phil D. Rolls
15-10-2010, 02:41 PM
dont really see how you can compare todays music sales/scene to something that happened 30 odd years ago when the only way you could listen to music was either buy a single/record or the radio. There are so many more ways now to listen to the band of your choice. Im sure if you ask any teenage girl/boy if they think girls aloud are a big group then the answer will be yes

At my age, I don't see how I can do anything else!

My point is though, that in the past everyone - whatever their age could name a Beatles song, or an Abba song. I'm not sure that is the case with Girls Aloud.

HUTCHYHIBBY
15-10-2010, 06:16 PM
Re Pretty Boys comment about oh so white people wanting to be black - I found myself in The Sports Cafe @ Haymarket in London a couple of weeks ago, it was student night and I was uncomfortably the oldest person there, I was amazed by the number of people in the place acting and talking like gangstas - maybe it aint ma ting tho bruv innit!

Phil D. Rolls
15-10-2010, 07:35 PM
Re Pretty Boys comment about oh so white people wanting to be black - I found myself in The Sports Cafe @ Haymarket in London a couple of weeks ago, it was student night and I was uncomfortably the oldest person there, I was amazed by the number of people in the place acting and talking like gangstas - maybe it aint ma ting tho bruv innit!

It's even worse when you hear a plooky ginger headed Scottish kid do it though.

Hibbie_Cameron
16-10-2010, 09:55 PM
Only saw one performance tonight and it was by Aiden Grimshaw. It was quite simply one of the worst efforts i have ever seen.

He destroyed Jealous Guy by John Lennon and Loius Walsh thought it was superb

OtterHibee
16-10-2010, 11:14 PM
I like Aiden but that was dreadful tonight. Still, Diva Fever and Wagner have to go tomorrow night.

On the plus side, Matt Cardle was again excellent. Stunning voice!

Phil D. Rolls
17-10-2010, 08:22 AM
I didn't see it all, but I think if they work on Matt's image any more, their going to have him looking like Bon Jovi. An amazing singer, he really deserves better than this glorified Karaoke competition.

Mary was good as well, Wagner is just car crash TV, Aiden was brutal but it was the wrong song. Katy is just a Waissel space.

Riordans Boots
17-10-2010, 03:04 PM
I like Aiden but that was dreadful tonight. Still, Diva Fever and Wagner have to go tomorrow night.

They must go - Wagner "Jaast heelp yawr silf to my leeps" :faf::faf:

Dibben
17-10-2010, 05:27 PM

:agree:

I think there are some good singers in this season, but he is easily the best!!!

AFKA5814_Hibs
17-10-2010, 07:52 PM
Curse of the 1st act or was Storm just crap?

Woody1985
17-10-2010, 08:17 PM
I never seen it but he's crap.

OtterHibee
17-10-2010, 09:41 PM
Curse of the 1st act or was Storm just crap?

He wasn't great by any means, but not the worst singer of the lot.

Wagner should not have got anywhere near the judges' houses stage, let alone week 3 of the live finals. At least Diva Fever have gone though.

Hibbie_Cameron
17-10-2010, 10:37 PM
Wagner:thumbsup:

Storm is clearly one of those guys who thinks he is amazing whilst everyone else knows he is average at best

blackpoolhibs
23-10-2010, 08:44 PM
Wagner to win, and show this pile of ***** up for what it is.:yawn:

bighairyfaeleith
23-10-2010, 08:50 PM

Wagner is truly terrible, I sincerely hope he wins:thumbsup:

blackpoolhibs
23-10-2010, 10:12 PM

:agree::greengrin

Leicester Fan
24-10-2010, 02:44 PM

You don't seriously think Simon Cowell is going to let that happen do you?

Hibbie_Cameron
24-10-2010, 03:13 PM

Even at this early stage Matt Cardle should win but hopefully Wagner will upset the odds and end this show once and for all.

Phil D. Rolls
24-10-2010, 05:12 PM

But I thought it was the public who decided. :confused:

Removed
24-10-2010, 05:15 PM

What, you mean my vote might not actually count?

Betty Boop
24-10-2010, 06:04 PM
Even at this early stage Matt Cardle should win but hopefully Wagner will upset the odds and end this show once and for all.

That's not going to happen. Simon Cowell has just signed up for another three years, and promptly trousered 20 million. The whole deal is estimated to be 100 million for the X Factor and Britain's Got Talent. Nice work if you can get it! :rolleyes:

Removed
24-10-2010, 07:38 PM
Wagner Faf

SteveHFC
24-10-2010, 07:38 PM
Wagner Through

Riordans Boots
24-10-2010, 07:42 PM
Wagner Through

:bitchy::grr::bitchy::grr:

Calvin
24-10-2010, 07:46 PM

He's more enjoyable to watch than either of the bottom two, so merits his place I think!

OtterHibee
24-10-2010, 07:48 PM

That about sums it up :greengrin

Wotherspiniesta
24-10-2010, 08:03 PM
Wagner owned a Lion.

Deserves to win for that alone IMO.

Hibbie_Cameron
24-10-2010, 10:38 PM
Wagner Through

:thumbsup:

I cant stand Cher. Hopefully she will be off next week

SteveHFC
24-10-2010, 11:32 PM

Wagner or Matt or Cher to win.

OtterHibee
25-10-2010, 10:01 AM

I can't stand Cher. Hopefully she will be off next week

:agree: Or Katie for that matter. Not too fussed which one goes first.

Pretty Boy
25-10-2010, 08:03 PM

She's absolutely brutal.

X Factor doesn't hold that much interest for me but i have an intense dislike of that girl. A pretty bad singer and an even worse rapper but she's got this mythical 'attitude' Cowell and Co seem obsessed with. So arrogant and takes credit for other peoples work which is just shockingly poor form really.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS1DIBd_Oyc

Hibbie_Cameron
25-10-2010, 10:04 PM
Interesting to see that Cheryl Cole not only mimed her truely horrific new single on sunday but it was also pre-recorded before the live show began.

How can she sit there and rip others for the performances when her own are pathetic?

Phil D. Rolls
26-10-2010, 04:08 PM
Interesting to see that Cheryl Cole not only mimed her truely horrific new single on sunday but it was also pre-recorded before the live show began.

How can she sit there and rip others for the performances when her own are pathetic?

Perhaps the only time the words "interesting" and "Cheryl Cole" will appear in the same sentence. Or perhaps not. :blushie:

It's the irony of modern life, it's not what you are, it's what you're marketed as.

seanraff07
27-10-2010, 06:24 PM
That lass with the red hair in Belle Amie.. :top marks

Anyway i think Rebecca should win, i'm a bit fed up with Cher, i thought her first audition was great but since then i haven't really understood what all the hype has been about?

And how is Wagner still in? It's not even funny!

Riordans Boots
31-10-2010, 07:32 PM
Aiden better be out tonight. Even Wagner was better this week :greengrin

Removed
31-10-2010, 07:38 PM
Wagner :thumbsup:

SteveHFC
31-10-2010, 07:42 PM

OtterHibee
31-10-2010, 07:42 PM
Aiden better be out tonight.

Nope :thumbsup:

Belle Amie will go. The judges won't vote against Katie, unfortunately.

AFKA5814_Hibs
31-10-2010, 07:44 PM
Best thing about tonight was the reaction of Cheryl and Danni to Jay Kay.

degenerated
31-10-2010, 07:49 PM
Best thing about tonight was the reaction of Cheryl and Danni to Jay Kay.

He has a point to be fair :greengrin

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/x_factor/3203888/Jay-Kays-X-cert-rant-at-judges.html

Removed
31-10-2010, 07:58 PM

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/x_factor/3203888/Jay-Kays-X-cert-rant-at-judges.html

:agree:

I'd like to **** you but what the **** can you tell me about music

:faf:

Riordans Boots
31-10-2010, 11:16 PM

That's funny :faf:

Hibbie_Cameron
31-10-2010, 11:24 PM

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hibs90
01-11-2010, 03:06 AM
How that wee rat faced bint Cher is still there, and also Wagner is quite truly remarkable.

Pretty Boy
01-11-2010, 08:28 AM

He's pretty much the only reason i bother flicking onto X factor now and then. Give me a leering Brazilian weirdo with a shocking inability to dance over 'hip and grimey' Cher, 'cute' One Direction, 'strong' Rebecca or 'unique' Katie any day of the week.

Phil D. Rolls
01-11-2010, 10:31 AM
Nope :thumbsup:

Belle Amie will go. The judges won't vote against Katie, unfortunately.

It appears to be the case that Katie is allowed as many mistakes as she wants. How Danii could say that she sang better than Bel Amie in the sing off is beyond me.

As for Katies behaviour, during and after her song, it is clear that she is high maintenance for very little return. Doesn't come across as a very nice person at all, from what I can see her only concern is for herself.

easty
01-11-2010, 10:56 AM
It appears to be the case that Katie is allowed as many mistakes as she wants. How Danii could say that she sang better than Bel Amie in the sing off is beyond me.

As for Katies behaviour, during and after her song, it is clear that she is high maintenance for very little return. Doesn't come across as a very nice person at all, from what I can see her only concern is for herself.

I didn't see it but have seen the last couple of weeks, Bel Amie are awful. Individually and as a group they are very poor.

AllyF
01-11-2010, 03:24 PM
WAGNER TO WIN

In all seriousness, put your money on One Direction now. They are almost a dead cert.

Phil D. Rolls
01-11-2010, 03:34 PM
I didn't see it but have seen the last couple of weeks, Bel Amie are awful. Individually and as a group they are very poor.

Imo Katie was worse in the sing off. She totally lost the place and was in tears at the end. She won't last much longer.

OtterHibee
06-11-2010, 08:07 PM
Matt: wow! Just, wow!!!

The first time he performed that song (at bootcamp) was stunning, but that just there was utterly exceptional :not worth

He has to win this.

Removed
06-11-2010, 08:11 PM
Did you not see Wagner? He was streets ahead for me.

OtterHibee
06-11-2010, 08:22 PM
Did you not see Wagner? He was streets ahead for me.

Oh yes, though I suspect it will be the subject of my nightmares tonight. Wagner doing Elvis is just plain wrong :greengrin

Pretty Boy
07-11-2010, 01:19 AM
Can someone explain to me exactly which of those songs was an American anthem? What's the point in having a theme if theres no intention of sticking to it?

Almost as bad as having a Led Zeppelin song in the 'guilty pleasures' week.

Removed
07-11-2010, 08:29 AM
I was shouting at the telly "nothing compares to you" "kids in America"

What a joke. Shouldn't be surprised, the whole charade is a farce.

Phil D. Rolls
07-11-2010, 08:57 AM
Can someone explain to me exactly which of those songs was an American anthem? What's the point in having a theme if theres no intention of sticking to it?

Almost as bad as having a Led Zeppelin song in the 'guilty pleasures' week.

I was shouting at the telly "nothing compares to you" "kids in America"

What a joke. Shouldn't be surprised, the whole charade is a farce.

We also heard "first time ever I saw..." by Ewen MacColl who wasn't American the last time I looked.

SteveHFC
07-11-2010, 07:39 PM
Wagner Through :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Removed
07-11-2010, 07:55 PM

First time I smiled since 2:15

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Betty Boop
07-11-2010, 07:57 PM
What a fix ! I won't be watching again, Katie Waissel a complete joke !!!

Hibbie_Cameron
07-11-2010, 08:02 PM

Wagner and Andy Carroll are the only speks of light on a truely awful day.

Take That including the return of the worlds 2nd* most famous backing singer/dancer are on next week. Women UK wide will be getting their knickers in a twist already

* This notes that Robbie Williams is less talented than Bez from the Happy Mondays. Bez can play the tamberine and is largely noticed on the stage whilst perfroming

Hibbie_Cameron
07-11-2010, 08:06 PM
What a fix ! I won't be watching again, Katie Waissel a complete joke !!!

Who was in the sing off and who got punted? Cant stand Katie either tbh

Betty Boop
07-11-2010, 09:01 PM
Who was in the sing off and who got punted? Cant stand Katie either tbh

Tracy and Katie were in the sing off. Cheryl Cole refused to vote, and Simon Cowell and Louis Walsh voted for Katie, even though she fluffed the words of the song and sat down on the stage. Farce ! :greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
08-11-2010, 07:46 AM
Tracy and Katie were in the sing off. Cheryl Cole refused to vote, and Simon Cowell and Louis Walsh voted for Katie, even though she fluffed the words of the song and sat down on the stage. Farce ! :greengrin

A disgrace, this weasel can do no wrong for some people.

SteveHFC
14-11-2010, 06:51 PM
Hope Wagner gets through tonight.

Westie1875
14-11-2010, 07:18 PM
Take That (with Robbie) up next ! :greengrin

SteveHFC
14-11-2010, 07:37 PM
Wagner through :thumbsup::thumbsup:

OtterHibee
14-11-2010, 07:47 PM
Finally Katie has to go.

That she has been in the bottom 2 on 4 occasions 'should' be sending a message to the judges that she does not have the public support to justify taking her any further. Mind you they've been completely ignorant of that too many times before :rolleyes:

That and the unquestionable fact that Aiden is by far the better singer/performer.

.Sean.
14-11-2010, 07:51 PM
Well, Take That were truly ****ing immense!! :greengrin

And 'mon Katie ya wee darling.

SteveHFC
14-11-2010, 07:54 PM
Aiden is out

f****** fix

OtterHibee
14-11-2010, 07:56 PM
That is an absolute farce!

Simon Cowell completely bottled it again.

Ridiculous. :bitchy: :bitchy: :bitchy:

Removed
14-11-2010, 08:00 PM
That is an absolute farce!

Simon Cowell completely bottled it again.

Ridiculous. :bitchy: :bitchy: :bitchy:

Cowell has just :fishin: you in.

Just do what I do - don't watch that *****.

But you are right it's a farce. Total joke of programme.

OtterHibee
14-11-2010, 08:09 PM
Cowell has just :fishin: you in.

Just do what I do - don't watch that *****.

But you are right it's a farce. Total joke of programme.

I won't be watching it again. God knows why I started watching it this year in the first place after having avoided it in previous years.

I'll be catching up on Matt's performances on YouTube from now on.

Riordans Boots
14-11-2010, 08:58 PM
Wagner -"Am steeeeeeeeeeeeel staaaaaaaaaaaandeeeeeeen" should have been out tonight :grr:

Hibbie_Cameron
14-11-2010, 10:42 PM
Well, Take That were truly ****ing immense!! :greengrin

And 'mon Katie ya wee darling.

Did they sound any different with the backing dancer?:wink:

Hibbie_Cameron
14-11-2010, 10:51 PM
I hardly saw any x-factor this weekend, i only managed to catch the sing off, which is a disgrace seeing as its on for about 18 hours each weekend.

Although im a big darts fan, i just could not enjoy tonights grand slam matches having not heard Wagner's performance. Turning it over to find Katie and Aiden was a great relief and Wagner is now a step closer to the final.

FWIW Aiden totally murdered that song in the sing off. Why does he put on that bloody voice when he sings. Although Katie was rubbish she was better than Aiden and she will go next week

Judas Iscariot
15-11-2010, 11:52 AM
Wagner -"Am steeeeeeeeeeeeel staaaaaaaaaaaandeeeeeeen" should have been out tonight :grr:

Balls..

Guy is a legend :agree:

Phil D. Rolls
15-11-2010, 04:06 PM
Aiden is out

f****** fix

If there was ever any doubt the show is a fix, then the weasel surviving the drop the last two weeks, has removed it.

I'll be watching again next week in angry anticipation.

steakbake
15-11-2010, 09:03 PM
Aiden or Katie. Both are as irritating as each other. But even the most tedious panto like the xfactor needs a villain and Weasel is definitely it.

Sadly for Grimshaw (oddball, 22) , he's got the charisma and charm of the backend of a pantomime horse.

Judas Iscariot
15-11-2010, 10:12 PM
In reference to take that..

Robbie Williams was phenomenal..

The other 4 looked like half arsed backin folk compared to him..

I really, really liked Robbie until the last fee albums and the rejoin of Take That..

He's a class above those 4 joeys but money/accolade must be his king..

Teo10
16-11-2010, 02:39 PM
I really like VAAAAAGNAAAR down to the fact everyone at work gets really frustrated about him still being there and I take great pleasure in telling them I vote for him every Saturday night :agree:

Phil D. Rolls
16-11-2010, 04:46 PM
Aiden or Katie. Both are as irritating as each other. But even the most tedious panto like the xfactor needs a villain and Weasel is definitely it.

Sadly for Grimshaw (oddball, 22) , he's got the charisma and charm of the backend of a pantomime horse.

Oh no he hasn't!

I really like VAAAAAGNAAAR down to the fact everyone at work gets really frustrated about him still being there and I take great pleasure in telling them I vote for him every Saturday night :agree:

If you really want to annoy people, eat a pizza - heavy on the garlic - and breath on your colleagues. Beats voting for Wagner, and everybody wins. (Except your colleagues, but at least they are no worse off).

Allant1981
17-11-2010, 02:28 AM
In reference to take that..

Robbie Williams was phenomenal..

The other 4 looked like half arsed backin folk compared to him..

I really, really liked Robbie until the last fee albums and the rejoin of Take That..

He's a class above those 4 joeys but money/accolade must be his king..

do you really think he was phenomenal? i like RW and have been to a couple of his concerts but i didnt think he was that great on sunday and lets face it he isnt the greatest singer in the world and it showed. Gary Barlow is by far a better singer

SteveHFC
21-11-2010, 07:39 PM
Wagner Through :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Removed
21-11-2010, 07:40 PM
Wagner Through :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Get in :thumbsup: :greengrin

seanraff07
21-11-2010, 07:56 PM
I don't watch it anymore but i thought Wagner was chucked out for reasons other than his awful singing?

Betty Boop
21-11-2010, 08:00 PM
Live performance of the official X Factor single 'Heroes', all the finalists minus Wagner. Says it all really ! :faf:

Hibbie_Cameron
21-11-2010, 10:41 PM
Was worried when Wagner was in the final 3 but he lives to fight another week.

Felt sorry for Paije, he was not the best singer in the "sing off" but atleast he abided to the rules and sang a Beatles song last night, unlike Cher who sang a John Lennon song.

I cant stand Cher or Cheryl Cole:grr:

Phil D. Rolls
22-11-2010, 06:29 PM
Cher to win now. She was fitted up this weekend to give her a good kick up the jacksie. People don't like a big head, but now Cheryl "Ah'm joost a schemie at hawrt" Cole, will play the full hard working graduate from the school of life card.

Wait for shots of Cher enjoying tea with her mam, and taking her little cousins out for a walk. She is a good singer though.

As for Katie, can't decide if she was doing a Belsen survivor impression or Diana Queen of Hearts impression this week.

HUTCHYHIBBY
22-11-2010, 07:42 PM
Dinnae watch the show, but, the stories about Katies £250 a time hoor of an 82 year old granny are quite funny, maybe not too pleasant a thought at meal times though!

SteveHFC
28-11-2010, 07:38 PM
Katie is out

Wagner in Bottom 2

Removed
28-11-2010, 07:43 PM
Katie is out

Wagner in Bottom 2

And Simon's boys squeezed through :hmmm: fix me thinks or just clever telly :dunno:

Barney McGrew
28-11-2010, 07:44 PM
Wagner in Bottom 2

He'll be out too.

Cowell and Co are desperate to get rid of him, despite the fact they were the ones that put him in it in the first place :cool2:

SteveHFC
28-11-2010, 07:47 PM
Wagner to go through hopefully

Leicester Fan
28-11-2010, 07:48 PM
He'll be out too.

Cowell and Co are desperate to get rid of him, despite the fact they were the ones that put him in it in the first place :cool2:

Tbh Cowell might want to keep him in a bit longer, he's good publicity for the show. Can't see Cheryl or Danni voting for him though.

Danderhall Hibs
28-11-2010, 07:49 PM
Wagner to go through hopefully

The judges get to choose don't they? If they do there's no chance - the old Irish dear will get through, even though she's pish as well.

Removed
28-11-2010, 07:51 PM
Pass the hankies to Louis :boo hoo:

Watch him slavering next :faf:

Removed
28-11-2010, 07:54 PM
Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

SteveHFC
28-11-2010, 07:56 PM
:boo hoo:Wagner out

Woody1985
28-11-2010, 08:15 PM
Wagner. Nooooooo!

Judas Iscariot
28-11-2010, 09:34 PM
PlSH!!

Right..

What song this year will be used to get to Xmas number 1 against the xfactor winner :confused:

Some ***** like last years campaign will do for me :agree:

Hibbie_Cameron
28-11-2010, 10:49 PM
I think it was a fix. All week it has been reported that he was running away with it in the weekly votes and that Cowell was seriously worried he was going to win. A few days later and he is out.

The guy is a class act and is just as good a singer as Cheryl and Danii imo:agree:

Phil D. Rolls
29-11-2010, 09:47 AM
I think it was a fix. All week it has been reported that he was running away with it in the weekly votes and that Cowell was seriously worried he was going to win. A few days later and he is out.

The guy is a class act and is just as good a singer as Cheryl and Danii imo:agree:

Can't argue with that. :agree:

derekHFC
29-11-2010, 09:59 AM

Can i suggest that you book yourself in for a hearing test asap? :greengrin

Lets be honest, its between three of them to win it - Matt, Rebecca and One Direction. The rest are just there to make up the numbers and to get some cash from the people who vote.

Pretty Boy
29-11-2010, 01:03 PM
Now that Wagner has gone i won't be watching anymore. The guy was by far and away the most entertaining thing about the show (well apart from trying to guess what the hell is going on with the colour of Louis Walshs' hair). The rest are semi talented nobodies singing glorified karaoke. No doubt a couple of them will have decent careers thanks to the Cowell PR and marketing machine and good luck to them but the show no longer has any interest for me now.

Removed
29-11-2010, 01:11 PM
Now that Wagner has gone i won't be watching anymore. The guy was by far and away the most entertaining thing about the show (well apart from trying to guess what the hell is going on with the colour of Louis Walshs' hair). The rest are semi talented nobodies singing glorified karaoke. No doubt a couple of them will have decent careers thanks to the Cowell PR and marketing machine and good luck to them but the show no longer has any interest for me now.

:agree: no fun any more

Hibbie_Cameron
29-11-2010, 03:13 PM

:greengrin

Atleast he has the guts to sing live every week on national tv unlike Cheryl Cole, who demanded her mime act was recorded before the show even started.

I remember reading an interview with Robbie Williams years ago where he admitted he was not the greatest singer but all round you would have to admit that he is a great all round entertainer on stage.

If thats the case would Robbie Williams win the x-factor even if he is not the greatest singer?

Danderhall Hibs
29-11-2010, 03:33 PM

Atleast he has the guts to sing live every week on national tv unlike Cheryl Cole, who demanded her mime act was recorded before the show even started.

Cheryl Cole must've sung live on stage every week or she wouldn't have been able to win her competition?

Hibbie_Cameron
29-11-2010, 03:38 PM
Cheryl Cole must've sung live on stage every week or she wouldn't have been able to win her competition?

I forgot about that:faf:

SteveHFC
29-11-2010, 03:39 PM

Lets be honest, its between three of them to win it - Matt, Rebecca and One Direction. The rest are just there to make up the numbers and to get some cash from the people who vote.

He Should Win. :agree:

Removed
29-11-2010, 03:41 PM

Typical woman. Once she's got what she wants she fakes it :grr:

Danderhall Hibs
29-11-2010, 03:43 PM
Typical woman. Once she's got what she wants she fakes it :grr:

As soon as she got married she stopped doing it.:agree:

Phil D. Rolls
30-11-2010, 01:37 PM

Was she not carried by the rest of her "band". The woman's only talent is the ability to fool wee (and not so wee) schemettes that she is as unremarkable as them.

Danderhall Hibs
02-12-2010, 01:06 PM
Was she not carried by the rest of her "band". The woman's only talent is the ability to fool wee (and not so wee) schemettes that she is as unremarkable as them.

Don't know but, I thought they all sang solo then the best 5 went into the band. And it must've been the best singers - they even picked an ugly lassie. :agree:

SteveHFC
05-12-2010, 07:40 PM
Mary and Cher in bottom 2

Pretty Boy
05-12-2010, 07:43 PM
'Mon Mary.:agree:

Danderhall Hibs
05-12-2010, 07:48 PM
'Mon Mary.:agree:

I agree but she's pish as well. A good pub singer.

Pretty Boy
05-12-2010, 07:50 PM
I agree but she's pish as well. A good pub singer.

Aye she's a bit of a belter, still prefer her to the arrogant wee rat though.

Danderhall Hibs
05-12-2010, 07:52 PM
Aye she's a bit of a belter, still prefer her to the arrogant wee rat though.

Definitely. Funny she was doing a ballad tonight after saying last night "ballad's have been done". I barely made a word out of it with all the wailing she was doing.

SteveHFC
05-12-2010, 07:55 PM
Mary is out

Danderhall Hibs
05-12-2010, 07:59 PM
They should've just binned both of them - they're both well out of their depth compared to the other 3 in the final.

SteveHFC
05-12-2010, 08:00 PM
I can see One Direction or Matt winning it.

Removed
05-12-2010, 08:01 PM
They should've just binned both of them - they're both well out of their depth compared to the other 3 in the final.

:faf: canny believe you are watching that pish never mind analysing it

Danderhall Hibs
05-12-2010, 08:03 PM
:faf: canny believe you are watching that pish never mind analysing it

Just started in the last 2 weeks, due to reasons outwith my control.

How come you're reading and posting on a thread about it?:greengrin

Removed
05-12-2010, 08:06 PM
Just started in the last 2 weeks, due to reasons outwith my control.

How come you're reading and posting on a thread about it?:greengrin

:greengrin cos when I look at 'new posts' they all show up and you posting on the x factor was too hard to ignore

Jay
05-12-2010, 09:41 PM
Did anybody else notice the big change in Cher?

Normally she has Amy Winehouse hair, harsh make up and a permanant snarl aboot her chops. They know the public dont like her cocky,smug diva attitude so she had soft natural make up, hair exactly the same as cheryl and was softly spoken and very pleasant, even at the end of her performance it was all nicey nicey!

EH6 Hibby
05-12-2010, 10:08 PM

Normally she has Amy Winehouse hair, harsh make up and a permanant snarl aboot her chops. They know the public dont like her cocky,smug diva attitude so she had soft natural make up, hair exactly the same as cheryl and was softly spoken and very pleasant, even at the end of her performance it was all nicey nicey!

I never noticed that, but I'll be watching it again with my son tomorrow so I'll look out for it, what I did notice was last week was when she said "The only way you're going to see me here next week is if you pick up the phone and vote for me" I'm not sure why but that really riled me, I felt like putting my foot through the telly. It just seemed like she assumed that she has millions of fans, but that they just weren't voting for her. Oooh she really gets on my nerves.:greengrin

Hibbie_Cameron
05-12-2010, 10:34 PM
Definitely. Funny she was doing a ballad tonight after saying last night "ballad's have been done". I barely made a word out of it with all the wailing she was doing.

Same here, could hardly make out what she was singing.

I cant bloody stand her though. She is rubbish and the most annyoing thing is when they show Cheryl Cole during the performance nodding and looking mesmerised with what she is seeing and hearing.

Even Cowell thinks she is great

Phil D. Rolls
06-12-2010, 08:47 AM

That is one obnoxious young lady, who I fear may end up as the next Amy Winehouse or Kerry Katona, with a residency at The Priory. I cant believe that Cowell Inc. are prepared to take on the management of such a highly strung - yet untalented - performer.

I'm finding the whole mini-me thing nauseating, quite disturbing in fact. I heard that on Saturday's Xtra Factor Simon admitted there is a deal for Cher and Cheryl to do a duet. If it's "The Two of Us" I just pray they do an Austin Powers spoof.

Same here, could hardly make out what she was singing.

I cant bloody stand her though. She is rubbish and the most annyoing thing is when they show Cheryl Cole during the performance nodding and looking mesmerised with what she is seeing and hearing.

Even Cowell thinks she is great

Cheryl hasn't got a clue what is going on, she owes everything to sooking up to Simon. She is bland, boring and untalented. For someone in the music business to admit to not knowing some of Eton John's best songs, is criminal.

I think Cheryl is about to suffer a backlash. Many people are starting to question who, and what she is. To call her a national treasure is really taking it too far, and there is nothing the British like more than destroying their idols.

Jay
06-12-2010, 09:34 AM
I never noticed that, but I'll be watching it again with my son tomorrow so I'll look out for it, what I did notice was last week was when she said "The only way you're going to see me here next week is if you pick up the phone and vote for me" I'm not sure why but that really riled me, I felt like putting my foot through the telly. It just seemed like she assumed that she has millions of fans, but that they just weren't voting for her. Oooh she really gets on my nerves.:greengrin

I got annoyed when she picked up the help for heroes Cd in the shop and said the next time she was in she wanted to be picking up one with her face on it and it was the winners single! Everybody else went on about the charity and how proud they were but she just couldnt see past herself.

Twiglet
09-12-2010, 06:52 PM
Just watched the cast of Glee on last weeks X Factor. Did they sing live? I thought no-one sang live on a Sunday night, but that sounded a wee bit like they were.
I've not been watching X Factor live this series, because I'm fed up of Simon and Cheryl, hence me only watching Glee on ITV player now. Gave up when I saw who Cheryl had put into the finals.

Barney McGrew
09-12-2010, 07:24 PM
The duets have been announced for the final:

One Direction - Boaby Williams
Matt Cardle - Rihanna
Rebecca Ferguson - Christina Aguilera
The wee skank - Will.i.am from the Black Eyed Peas

Wotherspiniesta
09-12-2010, 08:07 PM
The duets have been announced for the final:

One Direction - Boaby Williams
Matt Cardle - Rihanna
Rebecca Ferguson - Christina Aguilera
The wee skank - Will.i.am from the Black Eyed Peas

I can almost hear the simultaneous flicking of channels throughout the nation for this moment.:jamboak:

EH6 Hibby
09-12-2010, 08:28 PM
Thought Simon would have got someone better than Robbie Williams, he's done it before at least once. Seems a bit disappointing when you look at who the other acts have.

Phil D. Rolls
10-12-2010, 06:03 PM
I can almost hear the simultaneous flicking of channels throughout the nation for this moment.:jamboak:

:agree: End of the line for Mini-me.

AllyF
11-12-2010, 12:10 PM
I've written a preview of tonight's final for HolyMoly here (http://www.holymoly.com/). Including the full song list and my predictions.

I'd like OD to win, but my money's on Rebecca.

Brando7
11-12-2010, 04:50 PM
Thank **** it finishing this weekend :greengrin

lyonhibs
11-12-2010, 07:37 PM
I've written a preview of tonight's final for HolyMoly here (http://www.holymoly.com/). Including the full song list and my predictions.

I'd like OD to win, but my money's on Rebecca.

Don't know if I'd be admitting to that with a straight face in the public domain TBH :greengrin

Utter tripe for the brain-dead masses. I can't stand it, (and therefore know literally nothing about it, except that the girls at work were waffling on about One Direction at the Xmas Party) or any of the "Oh look at me" reality tv programs for wannabe talent-free skanks, ******s or - possibly even worse - Z-list, ****ged out, never-were-much-good-but-are-now-just-embarrassing "celebrities"

Thankfully, I don't have a TV, and anything half decent can be watched online, so I've missed all of this series, and all of "I'm a celbrity blablabla", but the volume of press coverage and emotion/effort that folk put into these freakshows is a tad worrying, if I'm being honest.

SteveHFC
11-12-2010, 07:55 PM
Cher is out

Sir David Gray
11-12-2010, 09:33 PM
I'm going to go against the grain here and say that I actually thought Cher was the best act tonight and I enjoyed her performances last week as well.

I think the biggest thing going for her is that she is so different to any other act that has been produced by the X Factor and she is actually quite good, in my opinion, at what she does (hip hop/R&B).

I think she has quite a big future ahead of her in the music industry and I can see someone like her possibly making an impression in the US, particularly since she has come to the attention of Will.i.am, who is one of the biggest names in US music right now.

OK so she might have a bit of an annoying personality and her desperation to look like Cheryl Cole is a bit disturbing but for someone who is only 17 years old, I think she has done pretty well on the X Factor.

I thought Matt did well tonight as well but the fact that he had Rihanna on stage with him might have had something to do with that. :greengrin

Hibby70
12-12-2010, 11:48 AM
Don't know if I'd be admitting to that with a straight face in the public domain TBH :greengrin

Utter tripe for the brain-dead masses. I can't stand it, (and therefore know literally nothing about it, except that the girls at work were waffling on about One Direction at the Xmas Party) or any of the "Oh look at me" reality tv programs for wannabe talent-free skanks, ******s or - possibly even worse - Z-list, ****ged out, never-were-much-good-but-are-now-just-embarrassing "celebrities"

Thankfully, I don't have a TV, and anything half decent can be watched online, so I've missed all of this series, and all of "I'm a celbrity blablabla", but the volume of press coverage and emotion/effort that folk put into these freakshows is a tad worrying, if I'm being honest.

I watch it because it is a freakshow. This years show has almost surpassed Peter Kay's version (although I'm still waiting on an act to beat "2 Up 2 Down"). "I'm a celebrity" is even funnier.

Quite why people would aspire to be a "celebrity" I'll never know, but to watch the washed up ones humiliate themselves is good entertainment after a hard days work.

Are shows like these dumbing down our telly? no doubt - but if you want to watch something more high brow then the internet and 1000 tv channels will cater for you. I've often found myself watching Humf, I'm a celeb, QI and QT in the same evening. Wouldnt say I was completely brain dead.

.Sean.
12-12-2010, 12:41 PM

Such rampant snobbery :rolleyes:

I agree with FalkirkHibee - Although not a fan of Hip/Hop or R'n'B, Cher is at least something different,. X Factor seem to produce the same kind of winner each year.

On the subject of X Factor, Olly Murs' new song is a tune! :greengrin

Hibs90
12-12-2010, 03:59 PM
Rihanna looked amaaaaaaaaaaaaaazzzzzzzzzzinggggggg :cool2:

Hibs Class
12-12-2010, 06:30 PM
Rihanna looked amaaaaaaaaaaaaaazzzzzzzzzzinggggggg :cool2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bapihus_5oc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH-bJ4rLU4A

SteveHFC
12-12-2010, 07:31 PM
One Direction are Out. :thumbsup:

Hiber-nation
12-12-2010, 07:47 PM
Never heard such a pishy watered down version of a classic rock song in my life.

:grr:

SteveHFC
12-12-2010, 08:23 PM
Matt is the Winner.

OtterHibee
12-12-2010, 08:28 PM
Matt is the Winner.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Twa Cairpets
12-12-2010, 08:35 PM
I watch it because it is a freakshow. This years show has almost surpassed Peter Kay's version (although I'm still waiting on an act to beat "2 Up 2 Down"). "I'm a celebrity" is even funnier.

Quite why people would aspire to be a "celebrity" I'll never know, but to watch the washed up ones humiliate themselves is good entertainment after a hard days work.

Are shows like these dumbing down our telly? no doubt - but if you want to watch something more high brow then the internet and 1000 tv channels will cater for you. I've often found myself watching Humf, I'm a celeb, QI and QT in the same evening. Wouldnt say I was completely brain dead.

Lots of it is, particularly early on, but the two finalists without any doubt are excellent singers.

SteveHFC
12-12-2010, 09:13 PM
Did anyone see Shaun Ryder on the Xtra Factor about two mins ago :faf::faf:

Cropley10
12-12-2010, 09:41 PM
Matt is the Winner.

Looks like the pro-Wagner crowd got the vote out...

He can barely hold a tune and was flat half a dozen times tonight.

He'll sell nothing - Rebecca, Cher and OD will though. IMHO

Calvin
12-12-2010, 10:22 PM
It's a strange topic of song to be a Christmas number one.

Riordans Boots
12-12-2010, 11:31 PM
Lots of it is, particularly early on, but the two finalists without any doubt are excellent singers.

The 2 finalists were deffo contenders and both were well deserved to be in the final - I loved them both throughout the show and their performances were literally something else ... :thumbsup:

Was a case of voting .... did anyone ???

We did :agree: at the very end ...

Voted for Rebecca - but Matt was superb as well and won - so am happy either way :agree:

Simon has a deal in the bag for One Direction anyway :wink:

Roll oan Christmas :cool2:

iwasthere1972
13-12-2010, 12:29 AM
Matt was below average during the weekend while Rebecca has been superb over the last 10 weeks or so.

Can't wait for Becky to release her first album. She's like Hibs. Full of class.

Sylar
13-12-2010, 08:20 AM
Sincerely hope a last minute campaign appears for Biffy Clyro's version to be number 1.

He absolutely destroyed it :bitchy:

Really can't wait until they cancel this pollution of the airwaves - the amount of sub-standard "music artists" it produces, and the songs they butcher en route to becoming a "star" is perplexing at best...

Houchy
13-12-2010, 08:52 AM
Sincerely hope a last minute campaign appears for Biffy Clyro's version to be number 1.

Really can't wait until they cancel this pollution of the airwaves - the amount of sub-standard "music artists" it produces, and the songs they butcher en route to becoming a "star" is perplexing at best...

To be fair Scott, while they get 20m Viewers, it's not going to happen mate so the only option is to watch/do something else if you feel that strongly. The fact you know that they "butcher songs on the way" suggests that you have watched a fair few episodes:wink:

I'd also argue that despite the "Sub-standard music artists", there have been some successes that have come from the show ie Leona Lewis and Alexandra Burke (Who have both done well, I believe, in America also) ito name 2.

Not having a go at you personally mate:agree:

Sylar
13-12-2010, 09:21 AM
To be fair Scott, while they get 20m Viewers, it's not going to happen mate so the only option is to watch/do something else if you feel that strongly. The fact you know that they "butcher songs on the way" suggests that you have watched a fair few episodes:wink:

I'd also argue that despite the "Sub-standard music artists", there have been some successes that have come from the show ie Leona Lewis and Alexandra Burke (Who have both done well, I believe, in America also) ito name 2.

Not having a go at you personally mate:agree:

I tend to avoid it like the plague mate - thankfully, so does the other half, so I've never been subjected to watching any more and 3 minutes at a time.

I hear these butchered efforts when they make their way into the mainstream radio stations etc, and folk have it on at work. In the past x amount of years, I've heard these people destroy songs by REM, Snow Patrol, Leonard Cohen and now Biffy Clyro. It says to me that Simon Cowell must actually either a) have a decent taste in music or b) must really enjoy torturing those of us who do.

But you're right - having a life which gets me away from the TV makes it easy enough to ignore :greengrin

easty
13-12-2010, 09:36 AM
It's a strange topic of song to be a Christmas number one.

Would I be right (probably not) in thinking it's about gay sex? I heard that a while back and it sort of fits the lyrics, can't remember where I heard it though...

Simon has a deal in the bag for One Direction anyway :wink:

I'd be very surprised if One Direction weren't the success story from this years X-Factor. Long term anyway, and Cowell will know it.

Theres always been crap music that people buy in the bucketload, it's certainly not an X-Factor problem. We had Mr Blobby at Xmas number one before X-Factor was about, and 30 years ago it was "There's No One Quite Like Grandma"! Cowells only selling the public what they want, and he'll do it till he gets bored of making money probably.

Sylar
13-12-2010, 09:59 AM
Theres always been crap music that people buy in the bucketload, it's certainly not an X-Factor problem. We had Mr Blobby at Xmas number one before X-Factor was about, and 30 years ago it was "There's No One Quite Like Grandma"! Cowells only selling the public what they want, and he'll do it till he gets bored of making money probably.

Aye, but the difference being is that those artists, despite the songs being utterly dross (you can add the South Park Christmas number 1 to the list), they were written uniquely by said artists.

These drones are mutilating good songs with the vocal prowess of a glorified karaoke champion down the local. I accept there are one or two vocally impressive acts to have been discovered (as Houch notes above, in Lewis and Burke), but they're the exception rather than the rule.

easty
13-12-2010, 11:19 AM
Aye, but the difference being is that those artists, despite the songs being utterly dross (you can add the South Park Christmas number 1 to the list), they were written uniquely by said artists.

These drones are mutilating good songs with the vocal prowess of a glorified karaoke champion down the local. I accept there are one or two vocally impressive acts to have been discovered (as Houch notes above, in Lewis and Burke), but they're the exception rather than the rule.

I've got my pedant hat on I'm afraid......I don't think Mr Blobby wrote the Mr Blobby song. I'm not even convinced his hands were capable of holding a pen.:wink:

Sylar
13-12-2010, 11:26 AM
I've got my pedant hat on I'm afraid......I don't think Mr Blobby wrote the Mr Blobby song. I'm not even convinced his hands were capable of holding a pen.:wink:

.Sean.
13-12-2010, 11:28 AM
Anybody else think the 'winners' song' is absolutely brutal?

Pretty Boy
13-12-2010, 11:30 AM
I tried to watch X Factor this series just to see what all the fuss was about. Wagner kept me tuning in far longer than i thought i would last but after he went, my viewing stopped.

I actually quite liked Matt at first but as the weeks went on his voice seemed to get much worse as opposed to better. The 'humble' act also started to get on my nerves as it became clear that underneath the quiet, self depricating exterior there was actually quite an arrogant guy who struck me as being a bit of a d*** to be honest.

The constant over the top praise of mediocre performances also started to do my head in. Cher got to the live shows through a combination of a pretty good first audition, a lot of wailing, bog standard rapping in a mockney accent and stealing lyrics from other people and claiming them as her own. Yet every week she was hailed as some kind of musical saviour. I'm sure she will do well because she will appeal to a market who don't want real urban music but want to think they are listening to something 'different'.

Overall i just found the show dull, the 'anomosity' between the judges was tiresome, the performance were generally average, the performers were generally hidden in amongst an over the top stage show with little substance ( perhaps to hide the fact that actual talent was at a premium). I can understand why people like the show but it's not for me and i think my brief flirtation with X factor is well and truly over.

JimBHibees
13-12-2010, 11:43 AM
I tried to watch X Factor this series just to see what all the fuss was about. Wagner kept me tuning in far longer than i thought i would last but after he went, my viewing stopped.

I actually quite liked Matt at first but as the weeks went on his voice seemed to get much worse as opposed to better. The 'humble' act also started to get on my nerves as it became clear that underneath the quiet, self depricating exterior there was actually quite an arrogant guy who struck me as being a bit of a d*** to be honest.

The constant over the top praise of mediocre performances also started to do my head in. Cher got to the live shows through a combination of a pretty good first audition, a lot of wailing, bog standard rapping in a mockney accent and stealing lyrics from other people and claiming them as her own. Yet every week she was hailed as some kind of musical saviour. I'm sure she will do well because she will appeal to a market who don't want real urban music but want to think they are listening to something 'different'.

Overall i just found the show dull, the 'anomosity' between the judges was tiresome, the performance were generally average, the performers were generally hidden in amongst an over the top stage show with little substance ( perhaps to hide the fact that actual talent was at a premium). I can understand why people like the show but it's not for me and i think my brief flirtation with X factor is well and truly over.

An amazingly accurate review of the show. Matt was absolutely murder but he was a really nice guy so he deserves to be a star. The bias of the judges and the blatant cheating to get both Cher and Katie onto the live shows and then the blatant cheating in getting Katie through without Cole being forced to vote were laughable. Cringeworthy.

Hiber-nation
13-12-2010, 12:14 PM
I tend to avoid it like the plague mate - thankfully, so does the other half, so I've never been subjected to watching any more and 3 minutes at a time.

I hear these butchered efforts when they make their way into the mainstream radio stations etc, and folk have it on at work. In the past x amount of years, I've heard these people destroy songs by REM, Snow Patrol, Leonard Cohen and now Biffy Clyro. It says to me that Simon Cowell must actually either a) have a decent taste in music or b) must really enjoy torturing those of us who do.

But you're right - having a life which gets me away from the TV makes it easy enough to ignore :greengrin

Compared to this brutal version of Many Of Horror, the previous year's cover versions have actually sounded ok. This has got to be the worst ever. To add a choir and turn a song like this into some happy smiley Christmas no. 1 is just criminal.

Twa Cairpets
13-12-2010, 02:07 PM

This happens every year - "X-factor killing music" "drones" "talentless conveyor belt" ".

Why does an artist have to write his own songes to be considered worthy?

Why is getting your talent recognised via a massive audition process - because that is basically what it is - any less valid than sending in a demo tape and getting discovered that way?

Why do people sneer at talented people getting a break? Matt Cardle is a very good singer, so is Rebecca, and so were a good few of the others. Did you hear Will.I.Am? Its not like he can hold a note really is it, but he's musically acceptable somehow?

And frankly, who cares if it is manipulated. It's a TV show, and ultimately, every year, the finalists have been people who can sing. I dont begrudge them a minute of that.

If you dont like the version of the Biffy Clyro song, fine. I thought it was ok myself, but you dont have to buy it, remember.

AllyF
13-12-2010, 02:21 PM

I watch X Factor for the entertainment. And because I admire Simon Cowell for being such an evil genius and manipulating the masses.

Sylar
13-12-2010, 04:02 PM
This happens every year - "X-factor killing music" "drones" "talentless conveyor belt" ".

Why does an artist have to write his own songes to be considered worthy?

Why is getting your talent recognised via a massive audition process - because that is basically what it is - any less valid than sending in a demo tape and getting discovered that way?

Why do people sneer at talented people getting a break? Matt Cardle is a very good singer, so is Rebecca, and so were a good few of the others. Did you hear Will.I.Am? Its not like he can hold a note really is it, but he's musically acceptable somehow?

And frankly, who cares if it is manipulated. It's a TV show, and ultimately, every year, the finalists have been people who can sing. I dont begrudge them a minute of that.

If you dont like the version of the Biffy Clyro song, fine. I thought it was ok myself, but you dont have to buy it, remember.

Because singing someone elses' songs is easy - where is the creativity in it? Music is an artform, which is a manner of expression - it's hardly expressive if they're busy performing everyone elses material now, is it?

It's not about "being discovered via an audition process" - if were a panel of musicians/producers/label artists or anyone who has experience in the music industry, I'd be inclined to agree with your point, but people (a home based audience) decide who is successful and who is not. By all accounts, the best act (the band who were knocked out last week?) didn't even make the final.

Will.I.Am is musically acceptable as a producer and a writer (I'm not personally a fan), having worked with some of the biggest names in the industry. He doesn't have a great voice, but he can write and perform music, edit music, arrange music and produce successful albums.

This guy will release one album and disappear of the face of the Earth no doubt, just in time for another one to come along next Christmas.

Whatever became of the lad who got pummeled by the Rage campaign last year?

CropleyWasGod
13-12-2010, 04:04 PM
Because singing someone elses' songs is easy - where is the creativity in it? Music is an artform, which is a manner of expression - it's hardly expressive if they're busy performing everyone elses material now, is it?

... like the Beatles, Stones, Elvis and the Motown folk when they all started out, you mean?

Sylar
13-12-2010, 04:36 PM
... like the Beatles, Stones, Elvis and the Motown folk when they all started out, you mean?

Considering how different the music industry is nowadays, you're comparing oranges and apples.

CropleyWasGod
13-12-2010, 05:58 PM
Considering how different the music industry is nowadays, you're comparing oranges and sh#te.

Fixed that. :greengrin

I agree with that, up to a point. I was playing devil's advocate.... slightly. However, I was also responding to the point made that those who write their own music are more worthy than those who don't. Everyone (including those I mentioned) has to start somewhere, and that usually means doing other people's songs.

Steve van Zandt, Springsteen's guitarist and one of my musical heroes, reckons that all bands need to get out there and play....and play other's stuff, to start with, to enable them to find their own voice. That's not, of course, what the X factor types do, but they still should be given respect and time to find their own way.

And then practice "do you want fries with that, sir?" :greengrin

Twa Cairpets
13-12-2010, 10:17 PM

TSSF, this is utter nonsense. A singer (note what they are called) is somehow less valid artistically because they dont perform their own creation? Seriously? So if you're gifted with a good voice (a physical trait) it somewhow doesnt count if you don't also have the ability to be a composer (a mental ability)? Do novellists have to be good orators for their books to be considered to be artistically meritorious?

Lots of songwriters and composers cant sing a note. If they write a song for someone else, who is deviating from the artistic purity you demand?

It's not about "being discovered via an audition process" - if were a panel of musicians/producers/label artists or anyone who has experience in the music industry, I'd be inclined to agree with your point, but people (a home based audience) decide who is successful and who is not. By all accounts, the best act (the band who were knocked out last week?) didn't even make the final.

Erm, it is a panel of all the above who choose the final acts. the public whittle it down for sure, but the ones who tend to be left at the business end are good vocalists, and get to that position because they are.

Will.I.Am is musically acceptable as a producer and a writer (I'm not personally a fan), having worked with some of the biggest names in the industry. He doesn't have a great voice, but he can write and perform music, edit music, arrange music and produce successful albums.

I quite like the Black Eyed Peas too, but the boy can't sing and they are mostly a triumph of image over ability. I fail absolutely to see how their/hos route to success is different to what Cowell is doing.

This guy will release one album and disappear of the face of the Earth no doubt, just in time for another one to come along next Christmas.

So what? If he does well out of it, great. I personally think he has a great voice.
By all accounts he's paid his dues (as I suspect you would term it) by gigging in pubs and clubs, but that doesnt matter really. Good luck to him.

woodythehibee
13-12-2010, 10:25 PM
TSSF, this is utter nonsense. A singer (note what they are called) is somehow less valid artistically because they dont perform their own creation? Seriously? So if you're gifted with a good voice (a physical trait) it somewhow doesnt count if you don't also have the ability to be a composer (a mental ability)? Do novellists have to be good orators for their books to be considered to be artistically meritorious?

Lots of songwriters and composers cant sing a note. If they write a song for someone else, who is deviating from the artistic purity you demand?

Erm, it is a panel of all the above who choose the final acts. the public whittle it down for sure, but the ones who tend to be left at the business end are good vocalists, and get to that position because they are.

I quite like the Black Eyed Peas too, but the boy can't sing and they are mostly a triumph of image over ability. I fail absolutely to see how their/hos route to success is different to what Cowell is doing.

So what? If he does well out of it, great. I personally think he has a great voice.
By all accounts he's paid his dues (as I suspect you would term it) by gigging in pubs and clubs, but that doesnt matter really. Good luck to him.

:top marks:top marks

Sylar
13-12-2010, 11:09 PM

OK, so you don't see it the same way. Let's take a case example (purely hypothetical) - a young singer/songwriter spends years trying to compose his own music - he goes through trial and error with lyrics and music to accompany it. Eventually he gets a handful of songs he deems good enough, after years of practice to get there. He doesn't have the best voice, but takes an artistic pride in what he's created, gets in front of people and plays/sings something he has put a lot of work to. Compare this to the guy who has a naturally fantastic voice, but no creative license - he employs (or is fortunate enough to be in a position to acquire) the expertise of someone who has gone to the effort of writing/performing, to have someone else make a shed-load of money from just applying his naturally "gifted" ability. You're seriously trying to suggest there's no difference in how artistically these 2 people are?

I don't watch the show one bit, but my understanding (please feel free to address this if wrong) is that it works in a fashion whereby the judges vote based on the artists' performance, and then that vote is compiled with an audience vote, which is actually worth more than the input vote of the judge, so it is deemed to be a "public decision"? I know a few people who do watch this and they were constantly complaining about the quality of some of the acts who were continuing to progress (Wagner?) and those who were booted off, but weren't all that bad (One Direction is it?). When there are so many "upsets" throughout the show, you cannot possibly justify saying that it is purely judged on quality of the contestants, surely?

I can't stand them in all honesty, but that's by the way - triumph over ability is a pretty harsh criticism though - they do a lot musically, in terms of creation, remixes and composition for other artists - they're different to Cowell's machine, as they rose to prominence off of their own hard work - not someone elses.

I've absolutely nothing against him - merely the machine which makes him - he's not responsible for chosing these songs which are covered/released - ironically, it's when the X Factor/Fame Academy/Britain's Got Talent (delete as appropriate) winners start making their own decisions, is usually when it starts to go belly up for them.

Twa Cairpets
14-12-2010, 03:58 PM
OK, so you don't see it the same way. Let's take a case example (purely hypothetical) - a young singer/songwriter spends years trying to compose his own music - he goes through trial and error with lyrics and music to accompany it. Eventually he gets a handful of songs he deems good enough, after years of practice to get there. He doesn't have the best voice, but takes an artistic pride in what he's created, gets in front of people and plays/sings something he has put a lot of work to. Compare this to the guy who has a naturally fantastic voice, but no creative license - he employs (or is fortunate enough to be in a position to acquire) the expertise of someone who has gone to the effort of writing/performing, to have someone else make a shed-load of money from just applying his naturally "gifted" ability. You're seriously trying to suggest there's no difference in how artistically these 2 people are?

They're different, yes, but to suggest one is "better" than the other is absurd. A songwriters songs are nothing if they're not sung well.

I don't watch the show one bit, but my understanding (please feel free to address this if wrong) is that it works in a fashion whereby the judges vote based on the artists' performance, and then that vote is compiled with an audience vote, which is actually worth more than the input vote of the judge, so it is deemed to be a "public decision"? I know a few people who do watch this and they were constantly complaining about the quality of some of the acts who were continuing to progress (Wagner?) and those who were booted off, but weren't all that bad (One Direction is it?). When there are so many "upsets" throughout the show, you cannot possibly justify saying that it is purely judged on quality of the contestants, surely?
You don't watch it one bit but feel entirely justified in slating the perfomers and their output? That's a tad arrogant isn't it?

I didn't say it is purely judged on the quality of the contestants, but at the end of the show, the singers with the good voices tend to be the ones who get voted for, and the Wagners of this world (who I agree are of minimal talent) sink back to where they come from having had their 15 minutes.

I can't stand them in all honesty, but that's by the way - triumph over ability is a pretty harsh criticism though - they do a lot musically, in terms of creation, remixes and composition for other artists - they're different to Cowell's machine, as they rose to prominence off of their own hard work - not someone elses.

Your'e having a giraffe. Everyone who isn't Cowellesque has risen by their own graft and talent? Bollox. Manipulation by everyone involved to make money, with very few exceptions is a charge applicable to virtually every recording artist on the planet.

Sylar
14-12-2010, 07:28 PM
They're different, yes, but to suggest one is "better" than the other is absurd. A songwriters songs are nothing if they're not sung well.

But where is the artistic creation in just singing it? By your own wording, a good singer has a "physically gifted trait" - it's a natural ability and it's therefore easier to adapt that to something someone has created. Where is the artistic element of simply singing someone elses song?

You don't watch it one bit but feel entirely justified in slating the perfomers and their output? That's a tad arrogant isn't it?

I didn't say it is purely judged on the quality of the contestants, but at the end of the show, the singers with the good voices tend to be the ones who get voted for, and the Wagners of this world (who I agree are of minimal talent) sink back to where they come from having had their 15 minutes.

How do you come to arrogant? So I don't watch the show - these people reach well beyond X Factor once they start working with other people and releasing material at the end of the show. It SHOULD be based on the quality of the contestants, as that's what the show aims to achieve - unearthing the most talented vocalist/singer amongst a bad lot. I've heard his (Matt's) "version" of Many of Horror a couple of times - are you really telling me he was the best person to come through that show? He's not as bad as SOME who have won it in the past, but his version of that song was flat and his voice cracked in places. He missed the tone more than once and didn't sound any better than some amateur singers I know.

Your'e having a giraffe. Everyone who isn't Cowellesque has risen by their own graft and talent? Bollox. Manipulation by everyone involved to make money, with very few exceptions is a charge applicable to virtually every recording artist on the planet.

I'd appreciate you don't quote me out of context - you presented the specific example of the Black Eyed Peas, and I responded - I'm not so naive to believe that everyone not affiliated with the X Factor type rise has done so off their own graft, but I certainly have much more respect for those artists/bands who have.

Twa Cairpets
15-12-2010, 08:23 AM
But where is the artistic creation in just singing it? By your own wording, a good singer has a "physically gifted trait" - it's a natural ability and it's therefore easier to adapt that to something someone has created. Where is the artistic element of simply singing someone elses song?

The words of a song, to have maximum impact and resonance, need to have a talented vocalist. Having the physical ability to sing is the base requirement - the emotion and interpretation and delivery is what makes the artist. I'm not belittling the ability of people to construct a tune or put words to it, but I do not see why it has to put on some mythical pedestal of heightened artistic merit?

How do you come to arrogant? So I don't watch the show - these people reach well beyond X Factor once they start working with other people and releasing material at the end of the show. It SHOULD be based on the quality of the contestants, as that's what the show aims to achieve - unearthing the most talented vocalist/singer amongst a bad lot. I've heard his (Matt's) "version" of Many of Horror a couple of times - are you really telling me he was the best person to come through that show? He's not as bad as SOME who have won it in the past, but his version of that song was flat and his voice cracked in places. He missed the tone more than once and didn't sound any better than some amateur singers I know.

I come to arrogant on the basis that your criticism is based on one song and not watching a show you're slating. Lots of it is undeniably pap - the glorification of genuine mediocrity such as Wagner and Jedward, as well as being something of a freak show in the audition stages, the attendant "Heat" and "Celebrity News" that surrounds it - but at the end of the process you did this year, as most years, have singers who can sing.

You're criticism of Matt Cardle is based on one song which you don't like. Do a google of some of his other performances, and you will see that the lad can really deliver a tune. You might not like what he sings, but he can sing, and to a very very high standard.

I'd appreciate you don't quote me out of context - you presented the specific example of the Black Eyed Peas, and I responded - I'm not so naive to believe that everyone not affiliated with the X Factor type rise has done so off their own graft, but I certainly have much more respect for those artists/bands who have.
Fair do's - I was extrapolating unfairly. I do think it is still a valid point though - pretty much every commercially successful artist is so because of the apparatus of the music industry making them so. There are very few I can think of who have risen to their point of success on nothing but a wave of pure (in every sense of the word) talent.

Betty Boop
15-12-2010, 08:38 AM
The words of a song, to have maximum impact and resonance, need to have a talented vocalist. Having the physical ability to sing is the base requirement - the emotion and interpretation and delivery is what makes the artist. I'm not belittling the ability of people to construct a tune or put words to it, but I do not see why it has to put on some mythical pedestal of heightened artistic merit?

I come to arrogant on the basis that your criticism is based on one song and not watching a show you're slating. Lots of it is undeniably pap - the glorification of genuine mediocrity such as Wagner and Jedward, as well as being something of a freak show in the audition stages, the attendant "Heat" and "Celebrity News" that surrounds it - but at the end of the process you did this year, as most years, have singers who can sing.

You're criticism of Matt Cardle is based on one song which you don't like. Do a google of some of his other performances, and you will see that the lad can really deliver a tune. You might not like what he sings, but he can sing, and to a very very high standard.

Fair do's - I was extrapolating unfairly. I do think it is still a valid point though - pretty much every commercially successful artist is so because of the apparatus of the music industry making them so. There are very few I can think of who have risen to their point of success on nothing but a wave of pure (in every sense of the word) talent.

His version of 'The First Time (ever I saw your face) was outstanding.