PDA

View Full Version : John Lennon

Betty Boop
09-10-2010, 08:45 PM
John Lennon would have been 70 today. Still sadly missed. :boo hoo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_4nK14LUAs&feature=player_embedded

Pete
09-10-2010, 09:56 PM
I think John was insecure about his voice and he took it to the grave. Maybe it was because he was with Paul who has a fantastic voice...but he should have held his head higher in that respect.
A lot of people consider Paul to be the "better singer" out of the two but I'd disagree...they were both brilliant in their own way and totally equal when it comes to plaudits.

this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeWIMYVKbLE) recording stands out for me.
To take such a song by such an artist and make it your own takes self-belief and soul...genuine soul...which he displayed. I don't hear a cover when I listen to that, I hear Lennon singing from the bottom of his being and It could be his song for all I know.

He had everything...and soul to boot!

PeeJay
10-10-2010, 11:11 AM
I think John was insecure about his voice and he took it to the grave. Maybe it was because he was with Paul who has a fantastic voice...but he should have held his head higher in that respect.
A lot of people consider Paul to be the "better singer" out of the two but I'd disagree...they were both brilliant in their own way and totally equal when it comes to plaudits.

this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeWIMYVKbLE) recording stands out for me.
To take such a song by such an artist and make it your own takes self-belief and soul...genuine soul...which he displayed. I don't hear a cover when I listen to that, I hear Lennon singing from the bottom of his being and It could be his song for all I know.

He had everything...and soul to boot!

Not sure about that - Lennon wasn't insecure about his voice - he knew he had a great voice. Yoko Ono has now apparently remastered Lennon's voice on all his solo LPs, e.g. taking away Lennon's/Spector's beloved echo and stripping it down, piushing it to the front of the mix (I never had any problems hearing him before!) - anyway, will be interesting to see if she's actually made any improvements - can't quite see it myself, people shouldn't tinker with the great man's work IMO.

Leicester Fan
10-10-2010, 02:20 PM
It was one of those 'you never forget where you where' moments when he died. I woke up earlier than usual that day and got out of bed (unusual for a school day) I switched the radio on and heard the news. I was so shocked that I went and woke my parents up.
When I got to school half the kids were shocked too and half were saying 'who's John Lennon?'

Betty Boop
10-10-2010, 07:14 PM
Give Peace a Chance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYHCeUfoAnw

H18SScottW
10-10-2010, 10:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx2gQeXurKc&feature=channel

"May all of us heal ourselves and learn to love each other in peace"

Imagine ...

Phil D. Rolls
11-10-2010, 09:10 AM
Lennon died when he joined the Army.

Phil D. Rolls
11-10-2010, 09:16 AM
Not sure about that - Lennon wasn't insecure about his voice - he knew he had a great voice. Yoko Ono has now apparently remastered Lennon's voice on all his solo LPs, e.g. taking away Lennon's/Spector's beloved echo and stripping it down, piushing it to the front of the mix (I never had any problems hearing him before!) - anyway, will be interesting to see if she's actually made any improvements - can't quite see it myself, people shouldn't tinker with the great man's work IMO.

I saw a program recently when they let you hear the "raw" vocal for "My Mummy's Dead". Lennon was going through primal scream "therapy" at the time, and I actually found it quite distrubing to hear. I felt like I was intruding on a very personal and private moment.

Greentinted
11-10-2010, 05:24 PM
Recently while watching telly with my ex, a film was broadcast on BBC4.
When the lead actor made his opening appearance I happened to remark 'tell you what, he's really nailed him eh? Voice an everything?'
She says 'who's that like?'
I says 'Chris Eccleston, was in Our Friends in the North, Cracker, Dr Who, loads of stuff'
She says 'nah, never heard of him...who's he meat to be like?'
'Your at it' I says
'No' she says, 'I dont know'
Incredulously (and I suppose a but condescendingly) I says 'John effing Lennon (yes I know its Winston)
She shakes her head in perplexity 'whos that like?'
At the end of the film she says knowingly 'Ah, he died in 1980 and thats when I was born; see thats how I dunno him'
I says ' I was born on the last day of 1968 but I've heard of Martin Luther King'
'Who's that?' she says.............................................. .

Betty Boop
11-10-2010, 06:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx2gQeXurKc&feature=channel

"May all of us heal ourselves and learn to love each other in peace"

Imagine ...

Amen ! :agree:

erin-go-bragh87
11-10-2010, 06:08 PM
Lennon died when he joined the Army.

I dont get it.

Leicester Fan
11-10-2010, 06:38 PM
I dont get it.

I'm not sure but didn't Lennon once say that Elvis died the day he joined the army?

Betty Boop
11-10-2010, 06:56 PM
I'm not sure but didn't Lennon once say that Elvis died the day he joined the army?

I'm not sure either, but FR may be referring to John Lennon's appearance in the film, 'How I Won The War'. Is there a prize ? :greengrin

PeeJay
11-10-2010, 07:32 PM

Think you nailed it here LF! I think Lennon was probably right as well!

Phil D. Rolls
12-10-2010, 01:36 PM
I dont get it.

I'm not sure either, but FR may be referring to John Lennon's appearance in the film, 'How I Won The War'. Is there a prize ? :greengrin

The prize goes to LF. When they phoned up Lennon in 1977 to tell him the King was dead, his first response was "Elvis died when he joined the army".

LF enters the draw for the Filed Rollover Millions, and should hear his prize within the next 6 - 10 years.

lyonhibs
12-10-2010, 03:20 PM
A great songwriter, but his absent father act to his 1st son and the comic hypocrisy of writing the line:

"Imagine there's no possessions"

mean that he's not my favourite Beatle.

erin-go-bragh87
12-10-2010, 03:37 PM
The prize goes to LF. When they phoned up Lennon in 1977 to tell him the King was dead, his first response was "Elvis died when he joined the army".

LF enters the draw for the Filed Rollover Millions, and should hear his prize within the next 6 - 10 years.

Thanks!!!

Phil D. Rolls
12-10-2010, 04:49 PM
A great songwriter, but his absent father act to his 1st son and the comic hypocrisy of writing the line:

"Imagine there's no possessions"

mean that he's not my favourite Beatle.

The thing that saved his image was going into recluse for about 6 years, and getting shot after releasing Double Fantasy. Any more albums like that and the whole Beatle legend could have died.

Conversley Paul (whom I don't like personally) gets very little credit for the excellent stuff he did with Wings. I think if you were to objectively award points for their solo stuff between 1970 and 1980, Lennon would be the loser.

And then Paul released The Frog Chorus. :grr: