PDA

View Full Version : Dons duo sorry for Protestant slurs

YehButNoBut
08-10-2010, 03:00 PM
You have to be very careful what you say (and do) over the internet as Zander Diamond & Michael Paton have had to apologise for comments made about protestants on an internet site.

Makes you wonder if footballers should be allowed computers. :wink:

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/07102010/63/dons-duo-sorry-protestant-slurs.html

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/1954438?UserKey=

Antifa Hibs
08-10-2010, 03:03 PM
Professional football players having facebook accounts. ****s need to get a grip/life.

Wonder if Xavi and Messi and other model professiomal footballers have one and post about 'prods'/catholics? :hmmm:

Raymond
08-10-2010, 03:44 PM
You have to be very careful what you say (and do) over the internet as Zander Diamond & Michael Paton have had to apologise for comments made about protestants on an internet site.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/07102010/63/dons-duo-sorry-protestant-slurs.html

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/1954438?UserKey=

Just a bit of banter,its not as though they were taking pictures of their tadgers and sending them to school girls:shocked:

johnrebus
08-10-2010, 03:49 PM
Always thought that Diamond had the brains of a rocking horse.

Mind you, all this fuss about one thick cheucter, whilst thousands get way with it every other week at an SPL ground near you...........,

:confused:

fatbloke
08-10-2010, 04:05 PM
[QUOTE=YehButNo But;2601335]You have to be very careful what you say (and do) over the internet as Zander Diamond & Michael Paton have had to apologise for comments made about protestants on an internet site.

Zander Diamond a footballer. Maybe in the totally loosest sense of the word. IMHO he is a bigger liability and no more a fottballer than a 1 legged Shelton Martis (apologies to Shelton but his was the first name that came into my head) would be.

sambajustice
08-10-2010, 04:06 PM
About time we had some anti protestant banter!

Bishop Hibee
08-10-2010, 04:16 PM

:tsk tsk: :tee hee:

Mr Jolly
08-10-2010, 04:20 PM
Its the Celtic way though. They obviously have been elected in to the cult that is Celtic supporters. A couple of moronic half wits.

ancienthibby
08-10-2010, 04:30 PM
Always thought that Diamond had the brains of a rocking horse.

Mind you, all this fuss about one thick cheucter, whilst thousands get way with it every other week at an SPL ground near you...........,

:confused:

So, the spelling classes did not work!! :grr::grr::grr:

Phil D. Rolls
08-10-2010, 04:40 PM

I wasn't expecting that.

http://onemansblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/Monty_Python_Spanish_Inquisition.jpg

Steve-O
08-10-2010, 05:50 PM
Can't really see too much of an issue really...

Sad that they think that way but it was never really meant to be made public (in the wider sense)...the dafties probably don't know how to set up their Facebook or have some randoms as friends.

down-the-slope
08-10-2010, 06:00 PM
Messi etc have their own websites - rather than slum with the lower classes on public social network sites - which are operated by agents / flunkies on their behalf.....

And no a lot of footballers should have PC banning orders...just think of some of the players of yester year if they had access to PC / net etc

Phil D. Rolls
08-10-2010, 06:03 PM
Messi etc have their own websites - rather than slum with the lower classes on public social network sites - which are operated by agents / flunkies on their behalf.....

And no a lot of footballers should have PC banning orders...just think of some of the players of yester year if they had access to PC / net etc

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/945000/images/_948673_mcavenniewatson150.jpg

Wherrz ra burdz?

Steve-O
08-10-2010, 06:04 PM

But how many hits would www.zanderdiamond.co.uk get? :greengrin

Betty Boop
08-10-2010, 07:14 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/945000/images/_948673_mcavenniewatson150.jpg

Wherrz ra burdz?

:greengrin

New Corrie
08-10-2010, 10:18 PM
Can you begin to imagine the outrage if it was Protestant SPL players talking about running down Catholics? You would never hear the end of it. Anti Protestant bigotry still alive and well within Scottish Football.

IWasThere2016
08-10-2010, 10:26 PM
Corrie - are you for real? 'Anti-Protestant bigotry .. 'in Scottish Football'?

Bishop Hibee
08-10-2010, 10:27 PM
You took your time :wink:

Agree 100%. No room for anti catholic or anti protestant bigotry in Scottish football. Embarrassing.

New Corrie
08-10-2010, 10:30 PM
Corrie - are you for real? 'Anti-Protestant bigotry .. 'in Scottish Football'?

Yes I am for real, did you not read the article? Is that not anti Protestant bigotry?:confused:

AFKA5814_Hibs
08-10-2010, 10:32 PM
Proddies/cafflicks who cares? Both are as bad as each other.

sambajustice
08-10-2010, 10:51 PM
No such thing as anti protestant bigotry! Bigots are all protestant...

Steve-O
08-10-2010, 11:00 PM
I think the lot of them should be run over by the Dawkinsmobile :agree:

New Corrie
08-10-2010, 11:11 PM

Is that so? You Celtic fans crack me up, you really do, amazing wit.

Pete
08-10-2010, 11:14 PM

Not the best comment you'll ever make.

Pretty insulting to a lot of people.

Elephant Stone
08-10-2010, 11:19 PM
Can you begin to imagine the outrage if it was Protestant SPL players talking about running down Catholics? You would never hear the end of it. Anti Protestant bigotry still alive and well within Scottish Football.

I, too, worry about whether the followers of the Protestant faith will survive amidst the oppressive internet ramblings of Zander Diamond. :rolleyes:

givescotlandfreedom
08-10-2010, 11:22 PM
Hope sambajustice is on the wind up as past polls on here found the largest denomination of Hibs fans to be protestant.

Removed
08-10-2010, 11:22 PM

Really :confused: What evidence do you have to justify that statement?

Craig_HFC
08-10-2010, 11:23 PM
It's hardly the crime of the century is it?

Pete
08-10-2010, 11:26 PM
[/B]

I, too, worry about whether the followers of the Protestant faith will survive amidst the oppressive internet ramblings of Zander Diamond. :rolleyes:

Anti-catholic sentiments are more frequent than anti-protestant ones in Scottish football in my experience. It's to do with the numbers game.

However, it does exist, the guy has a valid point and any sort of bigoted crap isn't right.

If anyone is into that sort of thing there are two institutions in Glasgow who will accomodate you. The sad thing is you certainly won't be alone.

sambajustice
08-10-2010, 11:27 PM
Not the best comment you'll ever make.

Pretty insulting to a lot of people.

So surely this (http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?188242-Pope-visit-controversy) is insulting to a lot of people as well then...?

Besides, I didnt say all proddies are bigots. I said that the Bigots only come from the protestant team. I mean, how many songs have you heard recently about "being up to your knees in proddies blood"????? Probably not many. Fenians on the otherhand...

I also think we should be signing a few more Tims because of our clubs roots. Get back to basics. Maybe put in a wee bit for Zander Diamond in January. Dons are desperate for the cash and we could do with a decent centre half. He's got to be better than Dickoh surely...?

Pete
08-10-2010, 11:44 PM
So surely this (http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?188242-Pope-visit-controversy) is insulting to a lot of people as well then...?

Besides, I didnt say all proddies are bigots. I said that the Bigots only come from the protestant team. I mean, how many songs have you heard recently about "being up to your knees in proddies blood"????? Probably not many. Fenians on the otherhand...

I understand you now. It sounded like you were talking in general terms rather than in a purely football context.

As for bigots coming from one side I disagree. It might be a lot more one-sided but anti-protestant sentiments do exist...and the evidence isn't purely in the songs...even though it does indicate the ratio considering there are practically no anti-protestant chants.

It's to do with conversations and attitudes in pubs, random shouts at games and anti-protestant symbolism(which one team is particularly guilty of).

As for signing him I'd agree strongly....but will he **** off to Celtic the minute he shows a bit of form?:rolleyes:

RickyS
08-10-2010, 11:53 PM
Hope sambajustice is on the wind up as past polls on here found the largest denomination of Hibs fans to be protestant.

really? when was that? just interested to see what the split was

Hakim Sar
09-10-2010, 12:17 AM
In all my time looking at hibs.net this thread has got to include some of the most moronic comments I have ever seen. I'm amazed that some of the posts have not been removed as frankly, they are insulting.

I understand why the op would bring this up so not having a go at that... It's newsworthy but that's all

joe breezy
09-10-2010, 12:58 AM
Not sure if I've stumbled on the archives here, Protestant / Catholic stuff, was this thread started in the 17th century?

NoTottiNoParty
09-10-2010, 01:13 AM
You love this debate!!!!! Haha

NoTottiNoParty
09-10-2010, 01:14 AM
Previous post FAO Hakim Sar

brightons hibby
09-10-2010, 01:20 AM
not all Hibbys are catholic. keep your comments to your self :confused:

Mr Jolly
09-10-2010, 01:46 AM

I am a very proud protestant and christian and find your comment as bigoted as any !!!! I for one, did not want the papal visit anywhere near Scotland.
Diamond could do with a month on the front line in Afghanastan......reality check.

NaeTechnoHibby
09-10-2010, 02:08 AM
I am a very proud protestant and christian and find your comment as bigoted as any !!!! I for one, did not want the papal visit anywhere near Scotland. Diamond could do with a month on the front line in Afghanastan......reality check.

Why ??

An atheist asking :greengrin

Hibernia Na Eir
09-10-2010, 08:43 AM
this is an hilarious story!

good on the Dons duo:greengrin

lyonhibs
09-10-2010, 08:50 AM

I also think we should be signing a few more Tims because of our clubs roots. Get back to basics. Maybe put in a wee bit for Zander Diamond in January. Dons are desperate for the cash and we could do with a decent centre half. He's got to be better than Dickoh surely...?

the last paragraph is either a screamingly funny wind-up or shows a scary inability to judge a player.
To quote a Dons mate, Diamond has been ****ing hopeless for 2 years now. Oh, and he's FAR too ugly for Hibs

johnrebus
09-10-2010, 08:51 AM
So, the spelling classes did not work!! :grr::grr::grr:

But your Arrant Pedantry ones did!!!!!

:greengrin

nonshinyfinish
09-10-2010, 09:14 AM
I also think we should be signing a few more Tims because of our clubs roots.

Jesus wept.

Here's an idea: why don't we sign players that have the required footballing attributes? You know, because of our club's roots as a football club?

As for the rest of the thread, I think that as usual this has been blown out of proportion, but it remains an offensive and spectacularly stupid thing to say in a public setting, even as a joke.

To claim that anti-protestant bigotry doesn't exist is delusional IMO.

BEEJ
09-10-2010, 09:45 AM
That's got to be a wind-up. :greengrin

Hibs to impose positive discrimination policy on their recruitment of players? Club set to become the opposite of what the Huns were up until the 1990s?

One of the funniest suggestions on this Board, ever. Congratulations! :thumbsup:

Hakim Sar
09-10-2010, 09:51 AM
Surely this debate merely reinforces the necessity for goal line technology?

Elephant Stone
09-10-2010, 10:00 AM
I am a very proud protestant and christian and find your comment as bigoted as any !!!! I for one, did not want the papal visit anywhere near Scotland.
Diamond could do with a month on the front line in Afghanastan......reality check.

How about as bigoted as the one underlined? I'm not sure.

lEXO
09-10-2010, 10:30 AM
Is this a Old Firm message board now.It looks like it,s been infiltrated by some ignorant bawbags."All bigots are proddies" "lets sign more tims" etc.How to take a stupid story and add to the stupidity, well done.You must be so proud of your ignorance.

Phil D. Rolls
09-10-2010, 11:31 AM
Surely this debate merely reinforces the necessity for goal line technology?

:faf:

Phil D. Rolls
09-10-2010, 11:41 AM

Oh dear, you are actually serious aren't you? I think you'll find that the bulk of the posts on there are merely criticisms of the actions of the catholic church in recent years.

StevieC
09-10-2010, 01:16 PM
How about as bigoted as the one underlined? I'm not sure.

Why do you say it's bigoted? Nothing in the statement, as far as I can see, to confirm bigotry as an underlying factor.
If someone said the same about a Barack Obama visit would that make them racist??
Lots and lots of reasons why someone might object to such visits without bigotry or racism being an issue.

:dunno:

Elephant Stone
09-10-2010, 01:26 PM
Why do you say it's bigoted? Nothing in the statement, as far as I can see, to confirm bigotry as an underlying factor.
If someone said the same about a Barack Obama visit would that make them racist??
Lots and lots of reasons why someone might object to such visits without bigotry or racism being an issue.

No. Barack Obama is the President of America, not the head of the black race.

The Pope, on the other hand, is the head of the Catholic Church. Opposing his visit on grounds of disagreeing with the Catholic doctrine (rightful or wrongful disagreement) is pretty much the epitome of bigotry.

Phil D. Rolls
09-10-2010, 01:36 PM

Unless you've been raised to believe there is "one true path" and that anyone who deviates from it is a heretic? Then, I suppose, any criticism could be construed as illogical, unfair and bigoted.

hibiedude
09-10-2010, 01:46 PM
Compaired to what the old/firm get away with this is a nothing story

StevieC
09-10-2010, 03:29 PM

Who said anything about it being because he was black? Does that make you a racist?

The Pope, on the other hand, is the head of the Catholic Church. Opposing his visit on grounds of disagreeing with the Catholic doctrine (rightful or wrongful disagreement) is pretty much the epitome of bigotry.

Where did he say that though? That's my point.

Maybe he was against it because tax payers money would be used to help fund the visit? Maybe he was against it because of the traffic issues caused? Maybe he was against it because he doesn't like Susan Boyle? You are speculating to suit your own perspective of the post, without actually having any hard evidence to back it up.

CropleyWasGod
09-10-2010, 03:33 PM

No it's not. If you disagree with the doctrine, you disagree with it. That's opinion, conscience, morals.

If you then go on and dismiss everybody who adheres to that doctrine as somebody to be despised or abused, THAT's bigotry.

Elephant Stone
09-10-2010, 03:43 PM

Who said anything about it being because he was black? Does that make you a racist?

Maybe he was against it because tax payers money would be used to help fund the visit? Maybe he was against it because of the traffic issues caused? Maybe he was against it because he doesn't like Susan Boyle? You are speculating to suit your own perspective of the post, without actually having any hard evidence to back it up.

Jesus Christ. You asked me if disagreeing with a visit from Barack Obama would make someone a racist. I said no because he represents so much more than black people in general. If he was, as I hypothetically said, head of the black race, opposing his visit may suggest such a thing. Comparing this to the visit of the pope is stupid because the pope is here exclusively to represent the Catholic Church.

As for speculating on why the previous poster was opposed to the pope's visit: he very well may have been opposed to it because of the aforementioned traffic grievances, why though would he choose to bring up his opposition to the visit in this thread about a Protestant insult and not say, mention it in a traffic related thread if that's where his problem lies?

Elephant Stone
09-10-2010, 03:48 PM
No it's not. If you disagree with the doctrine, you disagree with it. That's opinion, conscience, morals.

If you then go on and dismiss everybody who adheres to that doctrine as somebody to be despised or abused, THAT's bigotry.

So wishing to deny the followers of the religion a chance to see the leader of that religion is alright?

CropleyWasGod
09-10-2010, 03:52 PM
So wishing to deny the followers of the religion a chance to see the leader of that religion is alright?

No, I don't think it is.

But it's not necessarily bigoted either. If it's based on a moral view that is thought out and honestly held, it's not bigoted. If it's based on the aforementioned traffic issues, it's not bigoted.

If, however, it's based on the belief that "all catholics are bad", then it is bigoted.

heretoday
09-10-2010, 05:37 PM
Is Zander a Catholic sort of name? I assume it's short for Alexander.

Old Jambo carthorse Sandy Clark would have sounded quite odd as Zander Clark.

Can anyone think of other Sandys in football? My mind's gone blank.

Removed
09-10-2010, 05:48 PM

Jardine & Robertson

My money is on them defo both being protestant :agree:

Betty Boop
09-10-2010, 06:05 PM

What is a Catholic sort of name ? There is a Saint Alexander and Pope Alexander the first. :greengrin

IWasThere2016
09-10-2010, 08:58 PM
Corrie - can you tell me of other anti-protestant bigotry in Scottish Football. I'm toiling to think of one - other than Cellic fans songs and there's no difference to those sung by the Huns either. And FTR I'm Church of Scotland btw.

monktonharp
09-10-2010, 11:30 PM
Diamond could do with a month on the front line in Afghanastan......reality check.off to bed,:tsk tsk:you've got church in the morning:rolleyes:

lEXO
10-10-2010, 02:06 AM
Jardine & Robertson

My money is on them defo both being protestant :agree:

I,m Alexander and i,m a humanist. Your point is?:confused:

Hibbyradge
10-10-2010, 06:20 AM

I think he was being funny.

Both Jardine and Robertson played for Rangers in the days before Catholics were allowed to get a game for them as long as they were smuggled into Ibrox under blankets.

Nothing to do with their, er, Christian name.

Phil D. Rolls
10-10-2010, 10:48 AM
Zander is a Scottish form of Alexander. Only in this petty little country could first names be used as a way of assessing people's religion. Just ask Daniel Fergus McGrain.

Brizo
10-10-2010, 11:02 AM
The mentality of the professional fiba player never ceases to amaze me. Those two cant even make the defence that their brains are in their feet.

hibsfootsoldier
10-10-2010, 11:16 AM
bigots are proud protestants. fact! end of!
if protestants didnt subject catholics to so much torment over the years they(the dons duo) wouldnt have said anything
it will never go away as theres no chance all the manky rangers n hertz fans who are like that will die/stop. so to me you have to take a side.
im non denominational and i believe religion has no place in football today,
but as a lifelong hibs fan with irish roots myself i tend to sway towards the catholics
every hibs fan must recognise the significance of hibs irish roots
but its only immature dafties who go on about it
ive went to hibs games for years and never heard anything bigoted in that way at easter road from hibs fans, only the occassional oh edinburgh, which is awful
lets keep it that way eh

mind you it was funny what they said lol:faf:

Phil D. Rolls
10-10-2010, 11:31 AM
if protestants didnt subject catholics to so much torment over the years they(the dons duo) wouldnt have said anything
it will never go away as theres no chance all the manky rangers n hertz fans who are like that will die/stop. so to me you have to take a side.
but as a lifelong hibs fan with irish roots myself i tend to sway towards the catholics
ive went to hibs games for years and never heard anything bigoted in that way at easter road from hibs fans, only the occassional oh edinburgh, which is awful
lets keep it that way eh

Well that's 600 years of history summed up in a few paragraphs. What are your views on the Middle East? If we continue to progress at this rate we'll have cured cancer and ended poverty by tea time.

Removed
10-10-2010, 11:48 AM

Hibbyradge was right in his post and I think most folk would have known where I was coming from. I'd never have equated 'Sandy' with a religious denomination but given the era the two I suggested played then my bet was probably safe but I don't know and don't really care.

For those that know my real name then I'm sure you'll understand that those in the west of Scotland and northern Ireland who make assumptions about peoples religion by their name face a dilemma when they meet me :greengrin

nonshinyfinish
10-10-2010, 12:17 PM
Hibbyradge was right in his post and I think most folk would have known where I was coming from. I'd never have equated 'Sandy' with a religious denomination but given the era the two I suggested played then my bet was probably safe but I don't know and don't really care.

For those that know my real name then I'm sure you'll understand that those in the west of Scotland and northern Ireland who make assumptions about peoples religion by their name face a dilemma when they meet me :greengrin

If one more OF bigot assumes that I'm a Jedi purely because my given name is Obi-Wan, I swear I'll do time! :grr:

Phil D. Rolls
10-10-2010, 12:20 PM
If one more OF bigot assumes that I'm a Jedi purely because my given name is Obi-Wan, I swear I'll do time! :grr:

Aye,but are you a Protestant Jedi, or a Catholic Jedi? What school did you go to anyway?

nonshinyfinish
10-10-2010, 12:44 PM
Aye,but are you a Protestant Jedi, or a Catholic Jedi? What school did you go to anyway?

St. Dagobah of the Cross.

Phil D. Rolls
10-10-2010, 12:57 PM
St. Dagobah of the Cross.

http://www.bluelemur.org.uk/images/wiblog/20070411fatherjackshirt.jpg

nonshinyfinish
10-10-2010, 01:00 PM
http://www.bluelemur.org.uk/images/wiblog/20070411fatherjackshirt.jpg

:hilarious

basehibby
10-10-2010, 01:19 PM
lets keep it that way eh

Re the first highlighted bit - a load of utter tripe which could be viewed as a bigoted statement in itself:

Bigot - One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.

It's perfectly possible to be a bigoted catholic (in the religous sense anyway - the other meaning of the word "catholic" being "open minded") and it's even possible to be a bigoted atheist.

There is no intellectual argument to excuse the comments of the dons duo and I think your sense of humour must be pretty puerile too if you find them amusing - the fact is they have exposed themselves as a couple of imature erseholes who are a danger to themselves and the reputation of Aberdeen FC while in charge of a keyboard.
If I was their boss I'd be tempted confiscate their computers and confine them to their rooms with no television or sweety money for two weeks - if they want to act like a couple of pathetic wee boys then let the punishment fit the crime.

Phil D. Rolls
10-10-2010, 01:24 PM
If I was their boss I'd be tempted confiscate their computers and confine them to their rooms with no television or sweety money for two weeks - if they want to act like a couple of pathetic wee boys then let the punishment fit the crime.

It would happen in any other job. You bring your employer into disrepute you can be dismissed. That said, this reflects more badly on the players than the club.

Kevvy1875
10-10-2010, 01:30 PM
People make assumptions on things like your name, I have an Irish name(Fore and Surname) and the surname is very Irish in its heritage. I endure comments like my being a Micky, bead rattler, I have to have fish on fridays and all that usual stuff. Thing is....I am 3rd generation half-irish which makes me about as Irish as Hibs as we all know means history and nothing else. Irish and Catholicism usually go hand in hand and people then assume you are a Catholic. Most of it does not bother me but some stuff that although I am not directly affected by the issue does offend me, because it is assumed that it will offend me if you follow my logic. Why would someone want to pigeon hole another because of his religion.

What I am saying that although I am Christian in morals but not inclined to either church, I have first hand experience of what Catholics have to put up with every day of their lives in this country. Although it dosn't offend me(much), I reckon Catholics would likely be very offended. The people that make these comments dismiss it as 'banter' and this is their way of saying its ok.

Can't say I have ever heard any protestants being mocked for their religion. Have heard the Orangemen jibes and Masonic jibes etc, these although often asscoiated with protestants are not actual Religions.

Some people need to educate themselves and see whats going on round about them to realise this religous hatred is some throwback to century's ago and has no place in our modern tolerant society.

basehibby
10-10-2010, 01:37 PM
Zander is a Scottish form of Alexander. Only in this petty little country could first names be used as a way of assessing people's religion. Just ask Daniel Fergus McGrain.

Alexander is a Greek name originally (popularised internationally by Alexander the Great 356-323BC) so, given that it's widespread popularity predated christianity by about 4 centuries, if you wanted to get all sectarian about it you'd have to presume the bearer of the name to be a follower of Zeus or something.

On the other hand, Alexander was also the name of a number of early Scottish kings and has therefore probably been popular amongst patriotic Scots irrespective of religeon for the best part of 1000 years.

Phil D. Rolls
10-10-2010, 02:12 PM
People make assumptions on things like your name, I have an Irish name(Fore and Surname) and the surname is very Irish in its heritage. I endure comments like my being a Micky, bead rattler, I have to have fish on fridays and all that usual stuff. Thing is....I am 3rd generation half-irish which makes me about as Irish as Hibs as we all know means history and nothing else. Irish and Catholicism usually go hand in hand and people then assume you are a Catholic. Most of it does not bother me but some stuff that although I am not directly affected by the issue does offend me, because it is assumed that it will offend me if you follow my logic. Why would someone want to pigeon hole another because of his religion.

What I am saying that although I am Christian in morals but not inclined to either church, I have first hand experience of what Catholics have to put up with every day of their lives in this country. Although it dosn't offend me(much), I reckon Catholics would likely be very offended. The people that make these comments dismiss it as 'banter' and this is their way of saying its ok.

Can't say I have ever heard any protestants being mocked for their religion. Have heard the Orangemen jibes and Masonic jibes etc, these although often asscoiated with protestants are not actual Religions.

Some people need to educate themselves and see whats going on round about them to realise this religous hatred is some throwback to century's ago and has no place in our modern tolerant society.

Billy Connolly, makes some very funny jibes at Calvinism.

Joe Baker II
11-10-2010, 10:37 AM
Anti-catholic sentiments are more frequent than anti-protestant ones in Scottish football in my experience. It's to do with the numbers game.

However, it does exist, the guy has a valid point and any sort of bigoted crap isn't right.

If anyone is into that sort of thing there are two institutions in Glasgow who will accomodate you. The sad thing is you certainly won't be alone.

Many Aberdeen fans seem of the opinion that Protestant/Catholic divide is a West Coast issue only - should not read too much in to internet ramblings but if it makes some of the more sanctionmonious of them (they are as bad as many Hibs fans) realise that Aberdeen FC employees are not separate from this, probably the leak a good thing.

Pretty Boy
11-10-2010, 10:51 AM

100% correct. Not just in Scottish football but rather in scottish society.

I was raised a catholic and went to a Catholic school. I think the term for me now is a 'lapsed Catholic' as i haven't been to Church in a number of years. However on my CV i still include the name of my Catholic School obviously. On 3 seperate occasions i have had a prospective employer pass comment about my religous background at an interview, not only is this wholly unprofessional, it's also potentially illegal. I wonder if this kind of incident happens to protestants applying for jobs?(with the exception of catholic school teaching posts, a situation i find wrong).

Anyone who truly believes that Protestants are subject to anything like the same level of bigotry as Catholics in Scotland is either deluded, in denial or just plain ignorant. We had protests about the Pope visitng Scotland, that turned into a great excuse for a few good old anti-Catholic tirades, but it was ok because these were people concerned about the 'cost to the taxpayers' or 'the Catholic Churches view on this, that or the other'. Where are all these concerned citizens when millions have been spent policing the bigoted and inflammatory marches that the Orange Order subject us to year in, year out.

I've totally gone off the thread here and for that i apologise, what Diamond and Paton did was stupid and wrong but some of the comments on here regarding so called 'anti-Protestant bigotry' are just too much.

sven nil
12-10-2010, 03:15 AM

Maybe he was against it because tax payers money would be used to help fund the visit? Maybe he was against it because of the traffic issues caused? Maybe he was against it because he doesn't like Susan Boyle? You are speculating to suit your own perspective of the post, without actually having any hard evidence to back it up.[/QUOTE]

OR MAYBE ITS BECAUSE HES A NAZZI ?

clerriehibs
12-10-2010, 10:32 AM

and you're just thick.

Part/Time Supporter
12-10-2010, 10:35 AM
Many Aberdeen fans seem of the opinion that Protestant/Catholic divide is a West Coast issue only - should not read too much in to internet ramblings but if it makes some of the more sanctionmonious of them (they are as bad as many Hibs fans) realise that Aberdeen FC employees are not separate from this, probably the leak a good thing.

There's a slight difference between two brainless players posting nonsense on the internet and institutions deriving their business model from religious division.

clerriehibs
12-10-2010, 10:41 AM
Corrie - can you tell me of other anti-protestant bigotry in Scottish Football. I'm toiling to think of one - other than Cellic fans songs and there's no difference to those sung by the Huns either. And FTR I'm Church of Scotland btw.

If you want to remove the Celtic-biased bigotry, you'll have to remove the Rangers-biased bigotry, and then we're left with, errr, not a lot.

But bigotry is little different from racism. And we've got more than enough of that at Easter Road. So can we get our own house in order first, instead of carping on about how bad Celtic & Rangers are?

therealgavmac
12-10-2010, 11:39 AM

:hilarious

Phil D. Rolls
12-10-2010, 01:41 PM

OR MAYBE ITS BECAUSE HES A NAZZI ?[/QUOTE]

What's a Nazzi?

Vini1875
12-10-2010, 02:03 PM
Its funny that people are always saying that we will never get rid of sectarian bigotry, yet in my life time the singing of rebel songs and sectarian chanting/songs has disappeared. Ok maybe it was not as ingrained as the OF, but even there it has been eroded and could quite easily disappear if there was a concerted effort to do so. The same as in England which had a lot of racist chanting from certain clubs, but which has all but disappeared.

Some people will keep there views as they no doubt do at ER, but it is no longer OK to sing rebel songs. In England I'm sure there are racists who don't chant in grounds and it could easily happen at the OF

Greentinted
12-10-2010, 03:11 PM
Billy Connolly, makes some very funny jibes at Calvinism.

As does James Hogg 150 years BC (before Connolly :greengrin).

Particularly salient here is his assertion: but against the cant of the hypocrite or the bigot, no reason may aught avail

Phil D. Rolls
12-10-2010, 04:43 PM
Its funny that people are always saying that we will never get rid of sectarian bigotry, yet in my life time the singing of rebel songs and sectarian chanting/songs has disappeared. Ok maybe it was not as ingrained as the OF, but even there it has been eroded and could quite easily disappear if there was a concerted effort to do so. The same as in England which had a lot of racist chanting from certain clubs, but which has all but disappeared.

Some people will keep there views as they no doubt do at ER, but it is no longer OK to sing rebel songs. In England I'm sure there are racists who don't chant in grounds and it could easily happen at the OF

I was in Praia da Rocha the other week, and felt very uncomfortable with some of the songs played in pubs. There are a lot of Irish bars, and they are perfectly within their rights to sing these excellent folk songs.

I think my discomfort was a reflection of how tense and balanced things are here. As a rule, in Edinburgh, you don't ask people their religion, and you don't expect party songs in a public gathering.

As does James Hogg 150 years BC (before Connolly :greengrin).

Particularly salient here is his assertion: but against the cant of the hypocrite or the bigot, no reason may aught avail

All the time I was growing up it was fashionable to knock the Kirk, and the repressive nature of some of its doctrines. I just find it hilarious that people suggest Protestants can't take criticism.

Look at things like Robbie Coltrane as Mason Boyne. I never thought for a minute that it was a slight on all Protestants. Did Catholics think that Dave Allen was an Orangeman because he took a pop at some of the ludricrous aspects of their faith?

And then there's that well known Hun, Nazi, Lutheran, Father Ted Crilly. Bejaysus the protestant plot knows no bounds!

Greentinted
12-10-2010, 05:04 PM
I think my discomfort was a reflection of how tense and balanced things are here. As a rule, in Edinburgh, you don't ask people their religion, and you don't expect party songs in a public gathering.

All the time I was growing up it was fashionable to knock the Kirk, and the repressive nature of some of its doctrines. I just find it hilarious that people suggest Protestants can't take criticism.

Look at things like Robbie Coltrane as Mason Boyne. I never thought for a minute that it was a slight on all Protestants. Did Catholics think that Dave Allen was an Orangeman because he took a pop at some of the ludricrous aspects of their faith?

And then there's that well known Hun, Nazi, Lutheran, Father Ted Crilly. Bejaysus the protestant plot knows no bounds!

Speaking as a person who was raised in a Catholic environment and educated accordingly (the choice being the mothers) I have genuinely never encountered serious discrimination. I was a regular (and enthusiastic) member of the Boys Brigade based at the Kirk O'Field parish in the Southside. Mum was, and remains, a devout Christian who has become rather disaffected with the Catholic Church (although she still considers herself nominally RC) as an organisation as she has encountered many hypocrites and bigots on her spiritual journey.
Sometimes it comes down to the faux-indignation expressed by professional offendees and while I agree Diamond and his mate were ignorant, immature and extremely ill advised, the overall tone on this thread suggests that most of us in this increasingly secular epoch are, thankfully, better informed and well adjusted when it comes to tolerance and respect.
At the end of the day, bigots tend to be dewey-eyed dullards who have an empty space in their souls and allow delusion to be embraced as fact. Frankly not worth bothering about.
And its surely high time on a more pan-societal level that the lip service payed to the antics of those prehistoric cretins who perpetuate this practice becomes action. Hopefully then, some people can be prosecuted for pursuing the follies of the past.
Intolerance of this nature should not be tolerated and never accepted.

Apols for the mini-rant.