drink in the coopers before or after games,
that the pub is closed and will be for
a good while.
christine is maybe giving the place up
its all up in the air at the moment.:confused:

IWasThere2016
08-10-2010, 02:32 PM
(Sad) sign of the times ...

I got involved in the golf club's books/committee and I don't know how pubs survive. We have a small but loyal membership, and if there's no custom we close to reduce costs but the hours and expense must make the pub game a tough tough shift :agree:

DaveF
08-10-2010, 02:32 PM
Not good news.

Although only present at matchdays, I liked the pub and it was good with kids in tow as well.

Shame if it's closed for good, but a (sad) sign of the times I guess.

HibbyAndy
08-10-2010, 02:57 PM
Thats really sad..Always got the feeling in recent months Christine wasnt happy..Remember her telling me the pub just didnt make enough money..

Oh well, Where now Jamie?:greengrin

Antifa Hibs
08-10-2010, 03:00 PM
Albion gone. Coopers gone. Royal Nip changed name/clientle, WTF is up with the pub game? Why's no-one goin for a pint..? Went along Rose Street for the first time in about 5 years today, couldn't believe how little pubs there is compared to 5-10 years ago.

luxjock
08-10-2010, 03:09 PM
It's not all doom and gloom, City Limits is on the up.

HibbyAndy
08-10-2010, 03:10 PM
It's not all doom and gloom, City Limits is on the up.

:cool2:

emmjayfox
08-10-2010, 03:12 PM
Its simple really, it costs a fair bit to keep a pub open and if its not coming back in the door theres only one way its gonna go. Shame really as its a good boozer before and after the games.

KeithTheHibby
08-10-2010, 03:38 PM
Albion gone. Coopers gone. Royal Nip changed name/clientle, WTF is up with the pub game? Why's no-one goin for a pint..? Went along Rose Street for the first time in about 5 years today, couldn't believe how little pubs there is compared to 5-10 years ago.

I didn't notice much difference with the Nip, seemed to be same punters in before the game. It has had a serious makeover though!

Godsahibby
08-10-2010, 03:40 PM
Sad times indeed, being going in there for 20 odd years before and after the games. Part of the matchday for me!

I have noticed how quiet it has been lately especially after the games, think how we play as an effect on who goes for pints.

blackpoolhibs
08-10-2010, 03:41 PM
I didn't notice much difference with the Nip, seemed to be same punters in before the game. It has had a serious makeover though!

I thought it was awful. It had no character, the music was too loud with no football on? Not for me I'm afraid.:boo hoo:

Bishop Hibee
08-10-2010, 04:12 PM

20 bottles of beer for a tenner in the big supermarkets. Traditional pubs can't compete.

I drink in Robbies and it does fairly well with real ale, well kept other beers and lagers, good staff, sport on the tv and a loyal clientele, many of whom are part of the Hibs 'family'.

Other Hibby pubs are changing as Leith changes though. The Golf in Duke Street is now The Parlour complete with Facebook page which describes itself as "Leith's newest cafe/bar, serving loose leaf Suki teas, specially roasted coffee, lovely wines and other boozy goodness! We serve yummy home-made soups, salads, nachos, paninis and scones until 10pm." Not exactly a Hibs pub anymore :boo hoo: My wife and her mates love it, I wouldn't be seen dead in it.

Maybe a sticky of proper Hibs boozers is needed.

degenerated
08-10-2010, 04:42 PM
20 bottles of beer for a tenner in the big supermarkets. Traditional pubs can't compete.

I drink in Robbies and it does fairly well with real ale, well kept other beers and lagers, good staff, sport on the tv and a loyal clientele, many of whom are part of the Hibs 'family'.

Other Hibby pubs are changing as Leith changes though. The Golf in Duke Street is now The Parlour complete with Facebook page which describes itself as "Leith's newest cafe/bar, serving loose leaf Suki teas, specially roasted coffee, lovely wines and other boozy goodness! We serve yummy home-made soups, salads, nachos, paninis and scones until 10pm." Not exactly a Hibs pub anymore :boo hoo: My wife and her mates love it, I wouldn't be seen dead in it.

Maybe a sticky of proper Hibs boozers is needed.

Robbies for me as well, cracking pint and a good atmosphere :agree:

hibeemad
08-10-2010, 05:00 PM

Robbies for me too. Always felt at ease and very welcome. Good staff too

hibs0666
08-10-2010, 06:03 PM
Yup, Robbies is a good wee shop

matty_f
08-10-2010, 06:06 PM
When I stayed in Leith, Robbies was practically a nightly stop for me. Love the place.:agree:

Iggy Pope
08-10-2010, 06:15 PM

Kano, apparently taking up the mantle there? Just what I've heard.

Dreadful news about the Coopers though. Been a landmark for me for 30 years and a lot longer for a lot of others

Hibby Bairn
08-10-2010, 07:15 PM
For those in the know...why do pubs need to charge £3 odd a pint? Surely the basic cost is much much less if supermarkets can sell so cheaply?

Barney McGrew
08-10-2010, 07:34 PM
For those in the know...why do pubs need to charge £3 odd a pint? Surely the basic cost is much much less if supermarkets can sell so cheaply?

Supermarkets sell a lot of alcohol on or just above cost price knowing that it's a way of attracting in shoppers who they profit from buying other items. Pubs don't have that luxury.

Pubs cost base has rocketed over the last few years, with electricity and gas costs now huge, rates having as much as doubled for a lot of them this year as well as costs like Sky TV being massive as well. The average pub now pays about £1200 a month for Sky for example :grr:

Although it's good income for the club, Behind the Goals has had a big impact on the local boozers. That's about 5-600 people every home game not spending money in the boozer, and that extra income from home games used to be what kept a lot of places afloat.

The Silver Fox
08-10-2010, 08:11 PM
Sad to hear about the Coopers Rest. This was my Gran and Grandads local for the last years of there lives. Christine was very good to them and went out of her way to make them feel welcome, both their wakes were held there and Christine and her staff could not have been more decent to my family. For anyone who knows Chistine personally please tell them Isobel and Davie Crawford's grandson wishes her all the best.

Strangely enough they lived at 333 Easter Road for more than 50 years and my Grandad never attended a football match at Easter Road. Before you ask he never attended at Gorgie either, just not into football.

RIP
08-10-2010, 08:27 PM
I lived at 325 Easter Road for years - leaving in 2004. There were twenty pubs within a ten minute walk of my flat. For a population of less than 2500 people!!

I was in the Coopers a few months back. It was the first time I'd been there - ever. No disrespect to the owner but apart from a matchday pint - why would you?

Since they banned the fags the writing's been on the wall

AFKA5814_Hibs
08-10-2010, 08:31 PM
Had been drinking there this season before and sometimes after the games, good place to go if bringing the kids to the game.

Disappointing to see another Hibby pub in the area go down the tubes if that's the case.

Peevemor
08-10-2010, 10:38 PM
When I stayed in Leith, Robbies was practically a nightly stop for me. Love the place.:agree:

For 13 years I had a flat on Albert Street between the Nip and the Clan/Cabbage, but it was always the Windsor for me before and after the match (though it changed hands and became a bit crappy). Other than that, dinking locally was split between Middletons, the Iona (big Jimmy was a star - is he still there?) and Robbies.

NOLA
09-10-2010, 12:30 AM
might turn out to be good news for Tamsons + the iona. i think its the nationality of the locals that are in some way to blame for some of the pub closures, different drinking culture and attitude, add in the supermarket prices and the fact you cant enjoy a ciggie with your pint in alot of locations, then its game set. though to be fair edinburgh does have too many pubs IMO

NthCarolinaHibs
09-10-2010, 12:55 AM
Aye, Jimmy is still in the Iona:agree:

archiebald
09-10-2010, 11:24 AM
Whats shut in last 5yrs-dont know of any in Rose Street ?

Saorsa
09-10-2010, 11:29 AM
just a wee post to let any.netters that
drink in the coopers before or after games,
that the pub is closed and will be for
a good while.
christine is maybe giving the place up
its all up in the air at the moment.:confused:
:boo hoo::boo hoo:

Thats really sad..Always got the feeling in recent months Christine wasnt happy..Remember her telling me the pub just didnt make enough money..

Oh well, Where now Jamie?:greengrinI'll need tae drink mair :greengrin

Back tae the Loch Inn then

plhibs
09-10-2010, 11:44 AM

I usually do a fair bit of bars when i am in Edinburgh but cant remember this one, where is it.

emmjayfox
09-10-2010, 11:46 AM
Whats shut in last 5yrs-dont know of any in Rose Street ?

i will start with Olivers.

Rossco1875
09-10-2010, 11:51 AM
[QUOTE=Desperate Dan;2602052]:boo hoo::boo hoo:

I'll need tae drink mair :greengrin

all have one if your going to the bar :greengrin

Saorsa
09-10-2010, 11:55 AM
all have one if your going to the bar :greengrin:wink: :cheers:

MontrealHibs
09-10-2010, 12:52 PM
Aye were struggling for decent Hibby pubs for before/after the game. Middeltons is pretty quiet as well these days - five in last night between 9.45pm and closing time.

7Hero
09-10-2010, 02:07 PM
By letting the supermarkets sell drink at less than cost the government has been the most responsible for killing pubs. Add to that the smoking ban and recent licensing law changes which made it harder for pubs to allow families on to the premises it is obvious who has killed pubs. Not just pubs though all licensed premises struggling.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

CropleyWasGod
09-10-2010, 02:21 PM
By letting the supermarkets sell drink at less than cost the government has been the most responsible for killing pubs. Add to that the smoking ban and recent licensing law changes which made it harder for pubs to allow families on to the premises it is obvious who has killed pubs. Not just pubs though all licensed premises struggling.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

On the contrary, the Government has been trying to introduce minimum pricing for alcohol. It's the Opposition that has stopped that.

HIBERNIAN-0762
09-10-2010, 04:41 PM
Aye were struggling for decent Hibby pubs for before/after the game. Middeltons is pretty quiet as well these days - five in last night between 9.45pm and closing time.

Years since ive been in there, last time I was it was full of photos of the pink fannies
and after walking in I then walked straight back out after seeing them, the barman was pretty pissed as I had ordered a pint :greengrin

Newhaven
09-10-2010, 04:54 PM
might turn out to be good news for Tamsons + the iona. i think its the nationality of the locals that are in some way to blame for some of the pub closures, different drinking culture and attitude, add in the supermarket prices and the fact you cant enjoy a ciggie with your pint in alot of locations, then its game set. though to be fair edinburgh does have too many pubs IMO

I think it could go next

mim
09-10-2010, 06:39 PM
When I was a bairn and lived in Sloan Street, the pub was owned by Sandy Binnie, the dad of one of my schoolmates. They lived directly across Easter Road from the pub.

It was called Sandy's Bar in those days, before it became the Quaich and later Coopers Rest.

I used to play in the cellar with my school chum, Alec, when the pub was closed.

A great pub for many years, but latterly I've come to prefer Tamsons - probably because it is a bit of a throw back to my early drinking days.

There have been some good posts on this thread giving the reasons for the demise of pubs. May I add another one: the quality of the beer being served is nowhere near as good as 40 or so years ago. Proper William Youngers IPA from the barrel would still attract the punters into pubs. The problem was the brewers went for the cheap option and invented crap keg beers.

cabbageandribs1875
09-10-2010, 08:58 PM
is the clan/cabbage&ribs open/closed/open nowadays ?

ronaldo7
09-10-2010, 09:08 PM
is the clan/cabbage&ribs open/closed/open nowadays ?

Shut.

cabbageandribs1875
09-10-2010, 09:11 PM
Shut.

awww ok ta :boo hoo:

tamsonsbairn
09-10-2010, 09:14 PM

Aye, good old Ollies,drank there for a while when Davie Clunie was the manager but it fell away after that only to be revived again when Youngie and Kenny(stringfelly) Taylor had it. It is in the middle of a rip out and being turned into a dentist surgery I believe.

archiebald
09-10-2010, 09:16 PM
Empty as in shell-looks like getting done up ?

tamsonsbairn
09-10-2010, 09:22 PM
I think it could go next

What makes you think that. I think Stewart is doing the best job he can. It's hard to attract new punter's these days and even harder to keep them. Tamsons has a good regular crowd these days but it's hard when you see the price of drink in the supermarkets, even off licences have been toiling to sell drink,just look at those that have closed down since in the last couple of years, sad.

cabbageandribs1875
09-10-2010, 09:33 PM
Aye, good old Ollies,drank there for a while when Davie Clunie was the manager but it fell away after that only to be revived again when Youngie and Kenny(stringfelly) Taylor had it. It is in the middle of a rip out and being turned into a dentist surgery I believe.

i can vaguely remember a david clunie playing for the jamboids in the 70's, is it the same bloke ?

Newhaven
09-10-2010, 09:49 PM
What makes you think that. I think Stewart is doing the best job he can. It's hard to attract new punter's these days and even harder to keep them. Tamsons has a good regular crowd these days but it's hard when you see the price of drink in the supermarkets, even off licences have been toiling to sell drink,just look at those that have closed down since in the last couple of years, sad.

A few things. Place is dead (even on matchdays), a pint is quite pricey (got charged £3.10 for a stella)few weeks ago :bitchy: and the gents shunkie puts the one in trainspotting to shame.

I've no doubt S is doing a great job but the place needs a severe gut out IMO

monktonharp
09-10-2010, 10:54 PM
:boo hoo::boo hoo:

I'll need tae drink mair :greengrin

Back tae the Loch Inn then no chance of meeting me in there Jamie,it's like a dentist's surgery in there noo. all white and nice,not a Hibernian colour,jersey or scarf in sight. everything relating to Hibs seems to have gone,nae Hibs songs or Proclaimers or Rebel:wink:, just not the same,and they've removed the badge from above the door tae:boo hoo:

houston1875
09-10-2010, 11:19 PM

Expensive pints cheap booze at supermarkets nae smoking in pubs..you want me to go on..sad days indeed
Folk just staying at home drinking cheapo lager and smoking duty free fags?

MrHibs1982
10-10-2010, 11:41 AM
Has the cabbage not reopened???
About 7 months ago (March-April) is was all getting gutted out and redecorated, does anyone know if it was getting reopened as a bar or something else - thought it would be finished by now!!

Ed De Gramo
10-10-2010, 01:19 PM
:boo hoo::boo hoo::boo hoo::boo hoo:

I was in the Dalmeny on friday night and the barmaid was telling me that Christine is hopeful of having it open for the Killie game (that may just be the official line to reassure regular punters)...

HibbyAndy
10-10-2010, 01:25 PM

I was in the Dalmeny on friday night and the barmaid was telling me that Christine is hopeful of having it open for the Killie game (that may just be the official line to reassure regular punters)...

Aye so she was..Mare like you overheard her, Barmaids dinnae talk to folk like you Gramo :greengrin

:wink:

HIBERNIAN-0762
10-10-2010, 01:35 PM
no chance of meeting me in there Jamie,it's like a dentist's surgery in there noo. all white and nice,not a Hibernian colour,jersey or scarf in sight. everything relating to Hibs seems to have gone,nae Hibs songs or Proclaimers or Rebel:wink:, just not the same,and they've removed the badge from above the door tae:boo hoo:

Must be some yam fud that owns it then, a true Hibernian pub it was

Ed De Gramo
10-10-2010, 01:42 PM
Aye so she was..Mare like you overheard her, Barmaids dinnae talk to folk like you Gramo :greengrin

I asked cause I was completly jaked :greengrin

Coopers can't shut down without you buying a round....that would be so unfair :cool2:

HibbyAndy
10-10-2010, 01:49 PM
I asked cause I was completly jaked :greengrin

Coopers can't shut down without you buying a round....that would be so unfair :cool2:

Am gonna ask for the CCTV Video to prove once and for all i buy mare pints than you and Jamie put together!! :hmmm:

:greengrin

Ed De Gramo
10-10-2010, 01:57 PM
Am gonna ask for the CCTV Video to prove once and for all i buy mare pints than you and Jamie put together!! :hmmm:

:greengrin

http://www.matchless-gifts.com/store/product_images/b/clicker_01__74081.jpg

We'll get you this for your xmas...that'll sort it once and for all :wink:

HibbyAndy
10-10-2010, 02:04 PM

We'll get you this for your xmas...that'll sort it once and for all :wink:

:hilarious

:aok:

Cheers bud :greengrin

Saorsa
10-10-2010, 02:08 PM

We'll get you this for your xmas...that'll sort it once and for all :wink:just get him a broken one, it'll be cheaper for you :agree:

the numbers will never move anyway :greengrin

HibbyAndy
10-10-2010, 02:11 PM
just get him a broken one, it'll be cheaper for you :agree:

the numbers will never move anyway :greengrin

:hilarious

You boys are to kind to me :boo hoo::boo hoo:

emmjayfox
10-10-2010, 02:13 PM

Nae chance mate.

bobo_currie
10-10-2010, 02:57 PM
the coopers will come back to life,
somehow either it will get all sorted
or the brewery will sort it and bring someone
else in. i live just down the road from it
and been drinking there for years.
during the week and match days,
the place has not been the same as a few seasons ago
but the good times will be back belive me!

Ed De Gramo
10-10-2010, 03:01 PM
the coopers will come back to life,
somehow either it will get all sorted
or the brewery will sort it and bring someone
else in. i live just down the road from it
and been drinking there for years.
during the week and match days,
the place has not been the same as a few seasons ago
but the good times will be back belive me!

I love your poetic style of text centring :greengrin

invisible man
10-10-2010, 03:03 PM
Nae chance mate.

There's a sign in the window saying closed due to flooding :dunno:

tamsonsbairn
10-10-2010, 07:47 PM
i can vaguely remember a david clunie playing for the jamboids in the 70's, is it the same bloke ?

Aye that's the one,

Ed De Gramo
10-10-2010, 09:45 PM
Wish I had the dosh to get it reopened :boo hoo: