PDA

View Full Version : New Hibs manager will inherit squad with 16 deals running out - clearout?

Spudster
05-10-2010, 03:20 PM
Who's contract runs out at the end of this season? Out of the current first team:
Riordan
Miller
Bamba?

Sir David Gray
05-10-2010, 04:32 PM
Riordan
Miller
Bamba
Zemmama
McBride
Galbraith
Smith
Stack
Dickoh
Duffy
Trakys
Thicot
Rankin
Nish
Hogg

Grounds is out of contract in January.

Spudster
05-10-2010, 04:56 PM
cheers

Cropley10
05-10-2010, 05:20 PM
Riordan
Miller
Bamba
Zemmama
McBride
Galbraith
Smith
Stack
Dickoh
Duffy
Trakys
Thicot
Rankin
Nish
Hogg

Scarey in one way....

But not a bad situation for the new boss - whoever it is...

Musselbound
05-10-2010, 05:24 PM
Riordan
Miller
Bamba
Zemmama
McBride
Galbraith
Smith
Stack
Dickoh
Duffy
Trakys
Thicot
Rankin
Nish
Hogg

Was just going to say that it would probably be easier to list who is still under contract and this proves that would be no exaggeration!

jonny
05-10-2010, 05:51 PM
Riordan
Miller
Bamba
Zemmama
McBride
Galbraith
Smith
Stack
Dickoh
Duffy
Trakys
Thicot
Rankin
Nish
Hogg

Out of that list I'd hope to hang onto

Riordan
Miller
Bamba
Zemmama
Galbraith
Dickoh

I think thats a pretty decent basis to start. 2 good CH's, 2 good wingers (albeit 1 is injury prone and the other is still learning his trade), a good footballer in the middle of the park and a fantastic goalscorer.

Id be happy for the rest to go.

Wilson
05-10-2010, 05:59 PM

Riordan
Miller
Bamba
Zemmama
Galbraith
Dickoh

I think thats a pretty decent basis to start. 2 good CH's, 2 good wingers (albeit 1 is injury prone and the other is still learning his trade), a good footballer in the middle of the park and a fantastic goalscorer.

Galbraith has to be tested. There is a contract to be earned but he hasn't been given the chance. I've lost patience with Zouma. I'd keep Riordan if the new manager wants to build a team that accommodates him. Not to fussed on any of the others.

I see it as a positive that the new manager could end up with a good bit of leeway to get his own guys in.

leithsansiro
05-10-2010, 09:00 PM
I'd keep Riordan and Galbraith (if he proves himself in a decent run of games). Apart from that, I wouldn't be that disappointed to see any of them leave, with the possible exception of Miller who, on his day, could be one of the best midfielders in the SPL.

jacomo
05-10-2010, 11:04 PM

Riordan
Miller
Bamba
Zemmama
Galbraith
Dickoh

How do you know any of them would stay? There's a bit of quality in that list... we could have quite a barren-looking squad next summer.

jonny
06-10-2010, 12:01 AM
How do you know any of them would stay? There's a bit of quality in that list... we could have quite a barren-looking squad next summer.

I said I'd hope to hang onto

Never mentioned that any of them would definitely stay.

If the players I mentioned all wanted away then your right, we may be in a wee bit of trouble. Unless of course the new manager, whoever that may be, can bring in some players who offer us more than what we have.
Only time will tell.

Booked4Being-Ugly
06-10-2010, 07:30 AM
I don't thinks it's coincidence that most of the team are out of contract and the recent poor performances we've seen.

Maybe i'm just being cynical but, these players wont want to risk injury on the remaining months of their contract.

Keith_M
06-10-2010, 07:35 AM

Riordan
Miller
Bamba
Zemmama
Galbraith
Dickoh

Genuine question here, so don't take offence, but do you think there's any point? If we had a fully fit Zemmama that played for the team on a consistent and long term basis, I'd agree, but that's definitely not how it's been so far.

I'd be interested in some stats as to how long he's been with Hibs and what percentage of that time he's been unable to play for the club (injuries, out of the country, etc). I'm not saying for a minute that I've got any complaints with the reasons he hasn't been in the team, just the cold hard facts that he's hardly played for Hibs during his time here.

M11BMO
06-10-2010, 09:27 AM
Surely he owes it to Hibs to stay here. IIRC he came out and said that he wants to get back to playing and repay us for when we allowed him to go out on loan when his wife wasn't allowed in the country. And obviously repay us for the time he's been out injured.

Spudster
06-10-2010, 10:14 AM
Scarey in one way....

But not a bad situation for the new boss - whoever it is...

Is slightly scary that as of NOW we won't be able to sell any players for money. Basically we're in Aberdeen's shoes :bitchy:

marinello59
06-10-2010, 10:37 AM
Is slightly scary that as of NOW we won't be able to sell any players for money. Basically we're in Aberdeen's shoes :bitchy:

Except we haven't got more debt than our ground is worth and are not being forced to move to a new home by the bank which they can't afford to do as there is no funding in place.

Cocaine&Caviar
06-10-2010, 10:47 AM
Riordan
Miller
Bamba
Zemmama
McBride
Galbraith
Smith
Stack
Dickoh
Duffy
Trakys
Thicot
Rankin
Nish
Hogg

Keep.

alex74
06-10-2010, 12:54 PM
Keep.
nish ur having a laugh :top marks

HibbyAndy
06-10-2010, 01:00 PM
Riordan and Bamba for me, The rest im not fussed.

patlowe
06-10-2010, 01:15 PM
A lot of the players listed will be allowed to leave. Given the operating losses Hibs have suffered recently and decreasing attendances, I can't see Petrie maintaining the player budget when it has risen for the past few years. It's not going to be as drastic as Williamson playing a team of kids but the squad definitely needs cut. For a start, we can't afford to carry three experienced keepers!

Stevie Reid
06-10-2010, 01:21 PM
This is all in our favour - all the players coming towards the end of their contracts should start to play out of their skins whether they are looking to stay or leave, and a new manager coming in can exploit that.

In fact, with Zemamma and Duffy coming back to fitness, and Trakys hopefully getting fitter, what a good time for a new manager to walk in the door.

silverhibee
06-10-2010, 03:15 PM

Not really, if any club wants one of our players in January they will still have to pay a fee for them.

jonny
06-10-2010, 06:01 PM
Genuine question here, so don't take offence, but do you think there's any point? If we had a fully fit Zemmama that played for the team on a consistent and long term basis, I'd agree, but that's definitely not how it's been so far.

I'd be interested in some stats as to how long he's been with Hibs and what percentage of that time he's been unable to play for the club (injuries, out of the country, etc). I'm not saying for a minute that I've got any complaints with the reasons he hasn't been in the team, just the cold hard facts that he's hardly played for Hibs during his time here.

It's a fair point TBH and I think that others will probably have the same opinion as you.
I still think that a fit Zouma would be the most valuable asset in our team as he is our only real playmaker. Getting him fit is definitely an issue but if we could get him on a years extension and assess him over that period it'd give him a chance to win a further extension and also not over commit Hibs to handing out a long contract to someone that can never play should it not work out.
This is me making the assumption that he wants to stay of course.

Moody D
06-10-2010, 09:37 PM
There are 23 players out of contract including the younger ones. From a previous thread there are only 7 players left in contract - now that is scary

Sir David Gray
06-10-2010, 09:49 PM

Zemmama has played 83 times for Hibs since he signed in August 2006. Hibs have played 186 competitive fixtures since Zemmama's debut so he has been absent in around 55% of Hibs' matches, since he signed, through injury and the loan spell to the UAE.

Ed De Gramo
06-10-2010, 09:57 PM
Riordan
Miller - KEEP
Bamba - GONE
Zemmama - KEEP
McBride - KEEP
Galbraith - KEEP
Smith - SELL
Stack - SELL
Dickoh - JURY'S OUT
Duffy - CANNOT COMMENT
Trakys - SEE ABOVE
Thicot - SELL
Rankin - SELL
Nish - KEEP
Hogg - KEEP

As for Deek....get him signed up until the end of his career :agree::agree::agree:

superfurryhibby
07-10-2010, 10:43 AM
Of the lot of them I would only be eager to see Riordan stay on. Bamba should be punted, if possible, in January. I would say the same of Miller but I doubt anyone else would be interested in paying money for him.

The suggestion from some that we should continue to employ Zemmamma is bizarre. Decent wages and never fit-no thanks.

Football isignings are a bit of a lottery. We move on journeymen players and mostly sign some more. I guess that the hope is that we unearth some gems from amongst the dross?

What worries me a lot is the rise in wages to turnover with little or no signs of improvement on the field.

Green_one
07-10-2010, 10:58 AM
What worries me a lot is the rise in wages to turnover with little or no signs of improvement on the field.

Good point. There must be a fair amount of savings could be made by moving on non performing or marginal players. I think we need a smaller but better squad. Easy to say but harder the achieve. I would also like to see the top youngster get some testing in the team.

I guess some players will move on even if we wanted to keep them. In those cases I think we would all want to see real replacements, not the slow decline in quality we have had. Unless young players come through then we are bound to have this decline.

The Sea-gull
07-10-2010, 11:04 AM
Riordan
Miller - offer new deal
Bamba - doesn't want to be with us so no point, not sure about him at CH but give a run in midfield while we still have him
Zemmama - probably going to go but if we could keep him fit would like to see what he can do on a regular basis. We have never had him fit for more than a couple of months at a time the whole 5 seasons he has been with us.
McBride - not fussed, can't help but feel there is better out there. Squad player maybe or as part of a revamped midfield but might have to go to free wages up
Galbraith - would like to see how he does if he gets a run in the team
Smith - :bye:
Stack - not fussed
Dickoh - don't know yet
Duffy - don't know yet
Trakys - don't know yet
Thicot - :bye:
Rankin - see McBride
Nish - :bye:
Hogg - :bye:

Grounds is out of contract in January - don't know yet.

Jones28
07-10-2010, 03:34 PM
Riordan
Miller
Bamba
Zemmama
McBride
Galbraith
Smith
Stack
Dickoh
Duffy
Trakys
Thicot
Rankin
Nish
Hogg

Ones in bold I would keep
the rest, time to go

Holmesdale Hibs
07-10-2010, 03:54 PM
The suggestion from some that we should continue to employ Zemmamma is bizarre. Decent wages and never fit-no thanks.

We should keep him on a pay-as-you-play basis for a year. If he can prove he is worth a contract (stay fit and play well) after that then give him something more permanent.

sunshine1875
08-10-2010, 11:27 AM
Do we all see this as a positive? Plenty of room to get a new breed of player in!

As things stand, only goalkeeper Mark Brown, Hughes' three summer signings Edwin de Graaf, Michael Hart and David Stephens, along with utility man Ian Murray and Scotland Under-21 stars Paul Hanlon and David Wotherspoon will be pulling on a green-and-white shirt at the start of next season.

http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/New-Hibs-manager-will-inherit.6571892.jp

Mikey
08-10-2010, 11:31 AM
Do we all see this as a positive? Plenty of room to get a new breed of player in!

As things stand, only goalkeeper Mark Brown, Hughes' three summer signings Edwin de Graaf, Michael Hart and David Stephens, along with utility man Ian Murray and Scotland Under-21 stars Paul Hanlon and David Wotherspoon will be pulling on a green-and-white shirt at the start of next season.

http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/New-Hibs-manager-will-inherit.6571892.jp

I think more than that will be kept on :wink:

hibeemad
08-10-2010, 11:35 AM
Dont think this is a bad thing, it will give the new manager lots of options. The one big bonus is Nish will be off the payroll.

We really need a clear out. There are so many not good enoughs and non triers throughout the squad.

Time will tell though, and the first and most important decision is get the right man for the job. The rest will take care of itself

Well thats the theory

Purehibee_MYB
08-10-2010, 11:40 AM
We need deeks!

Wilson
08-10-2010, 11:40 AM
John Hughes has taken the fall. He should have - the buck stops with him. There should be no hiding place for the players though. They have let down Yogi, and everyone who bought a season ticket, so far this season.

I think it is absolutely a good thing that so many contracts are up. Lets clear out the heartless and gutless and employ some winners.

Stevie Reid
08-10-2010, 11:43 AM
Can't be a bad thing - those looking to stay and those looking to leave need to impress regardless, and there is scope for wholesale changes if deemed necessary by the new man.

stubru59
08-10-2010, 11:46 AM
There's light at the end of the tunnel.

M11BMO
08-10-2010, 11:48 AM
We're doomed.

:rolleyes:

Gatecrasher
08-10-2010, 11:56 AM
It has its good and bad points

It means the new manager can shape the squad the way he wants with less finiancial impact than normally.

It also means hibs could lose out on re-signing a player if they are not quick enough off the mark

Stevie Reid
08-10-2010, 11:57 AM
A wage bill shorn of 16 players means the pack doesn't need to be shuffled.

Giant_Midget
08-10-2010, 12:04 PM
Can't be a bad thing - those looking to stay and those looking to leave need to impress regardless, and there is scope for wholesale changes if deemed necessary by the new man.Spot on, which is why I dont understand the lack of effort from some...they must know that if they dont have a good season they either wont be kept on or their options for new clubs will be very limited.

Albion Hibs
08-10-2010, 12:13 PM
Will be good news for the next manager, and rules out appointing anyone until the summer, again decent as will give some stability on that front.

I would offer new deals to the below at the moment;

Riordan
Miller
Zemmama
Galbraith
Stack

Subject to how these guys to between now and the end of the season I would give them some thought.

Dickoh
Duffy

I am sure Grounds is out of contract a Boro at the end of this year, albeit I dont think we could afford him, I would consider him, but as a CH, with IM at left back. Grounds looks reasonable on the ball, but lacks a bit moving forward, namely any form of pace. Saw him play with Norwich last year (league one factor acknowledged) in that position, and he was very good.

Just my views, a decent new gaffer with good contacts, and his own scout.

Albion Hibs
08-10-2010, 12:16 PM
It has its good and bad points

It means the new manager can shape the squad the way he wants with less finiancial impact than normally.

It also means hibs could lose out on re-signing a player if they are not quick enough off the mark

Very good shout, but in addition I think it also puts us on a weaker footing if the slimmy agent / other club knows we are short on a starting 11 and running out of transfer windows.

Pre contact work needs to begin sharp, hopefully any new manager will have an understanding of the type / names of players he is looking to bring in.

Andy74
08-10-2010, 12:18 PM
A lot of the players listed will be allowed to leave. Given the operating losses Hibs have suffered recently and decreasing attendances, I can't see Petrie maintaining the player budget when it has risen for the past few years. It's not going to be as drastic as Williamson playing a team of kids but the squad definitely needs cut. For a start, we can't afford to carry three experienced keepers!

The three keepers always gets mentioned yet we have had to play every one of them and for reasons of injuries to the others. This is the reason we got them all in as we didn't want to be playing Flynn just yet.

GloryGlory
08-10-2010, 12:45 PM
The scary thing is thinking about a scenario where a large number of players know their contracts are not being renewed and sign pre-contracts elsewhere in January. No motivation to do anything for Hibs for the rest of the season.

Mind you, not much different from just now for a lot of them, then.

Hibby Kay-Yay
08-10-2010, 01:19 PM
I would be happy with 16 quality players supplemented with youngsters. That should give us a good wage bucket to spread amongst the team.

HFC 0-7
08-10-2010, 01:36 PM
Dont think this is a good thing IMO. Hibs could be left with signing players that are worse than the ones we have just let go out of contract. On top of that come january we could have a lot of players on our books all signing pre contracts meaning they have no real incentive to bust a gut.

I hear a lot of people saying that we can get deadwood out, but that is only good if you can get better in. Hibs wont be able to pay much in the way of transfer fees so we will be limited to free's and very low transfers meaning we could be scraping the bottom.

Hibernia Na Eir
08-10-2010, 01:47 PM
this is great news for new boss and us fans.

Means a new team can be formed by the new man :greengrin Get rid of dead-weed :agree:

Cropley10
08-10-2010, 01:59 PM
Very good shout, but in addition I think it also puts us on a weaker footing if the slimmy agent / other club knows we are short on a starting 11 and running out of transfer windows.

Pre contact work needs to begin sharp, hopefully any new manager will have an understanding of the type / names of players he is looking to bring in.

You're still here!?

What is going on!

Cropley10
08-10-2010, 02:03 PM
Will be good news for the next manager, and rules out appointing anyone until the summer, again decent as will give some stability on that front.

I would offer new deals to the below at the moment;

Riordan
Miller
Zemmama
Galbraith
Stack

Subject to how these guys to between now and the end of the season I would give them some thought.

Dickoh
Duffy

I am sure Grounds is out of contract a Boro at the end of this year, albeit I dont think we could afford him, I would consider him, but as a CH, with IM at left back. Grounds looks reasonable on the ball, but lacks a bit moving forward, namely any form of pace. Saw him play with Norwich last year (league one factor acknowledged) in that position, and he was very good.

Just my views, a decent new gaffer with good contacts, and his own scout.

You've obviously not seen Miller play this season. The heart of a mouse.

Ditto Duffy - a guy who couldn't get a game in Div 1, hasnae kicked a ball and you'd think about offering him a longer deal!?

Stack's a sick note - nothing special and was one of Yogi's characters.

Phil MaGlass
08-10-2010, 02:07 PM
Dont think this is a bad thing, it will give the new manager lots of options. The one big bonus is Nish will be off the payroll.

We really need a clear out. There are so many not good enoughs and non triers throughout the squad.

Time will tell though, and the first and most important decision is get the right man for the job. The rest will take care of itself

Well thats the theory

Dont think Nish is a non trier myself, guy works hard even in the face of unbelievable abuse, he is the type of hard working player we need at the club.
Aye he may not be the most gifted but more like him would see us climbing the league

Phil MaGlass
08-10-2010, 02:09 PM
Dont think this is a good thing IMO. Hibs could be left with signing players that are worse than the ones we have just let go out of contract. On top of that come january we could have a lot of players on our books all signing pre contracts meaning they have no real incentive to bust a gut.

I hear a lot of people saying that we can get deadwood out, but that is only good if you can get better in. Hibs wont be able to pay much in the way of transfer fees so we will be limited to free's and very low transfers meaning we could be scraping the bottom.

Thing is they would have to bust a gut to earn a move to another club, its their last chance to put themselves in the shop window

Giant_Midget
08-10-2010, 02:12 PM
Dont think Nish is a non trier myself, guy works hard even in the face of unbelievable abuse, he is the type of hard working player we need at the club.
Aye he may not be the most gifted but more like him would see us climbing the leagueHave to say I agree with this, I know most dont rate him...but as said he tries his heart out whenever he pulls on the jersey. It doesnt always come off for the big guy, but at least he tries.

hibeemad
08-10-2010, 02:34 PM
Aye he may not be the most gifted but more like him would see us climbing the league

I never said he was a non trier. What i said was it would be a bonus to get him off the books.

offshorehibby
08-10-2010, 02:35 PM
Not sure if this is good or bad but Collins, Mixu & Hughes all seem to have had trouble with disruptive players. If they are still here this is the time to get rid. Garath Evans has been here since Collins so will have a good insight for any new manager.

RoslinInstHibby
08-10-2010, 02:50 PM
Riordan
Miller
Bamba
Zemmama
McBride
Galbraith
Smith
Stack
Dickoh
Duffy
Trakys
Thicot
Rankin
Nish
Hogg

keep, the rest :bye:

matty_f
08-10-2010, 02:52 PM
Whilst I can see the reasons behind the concerns, IMHO this is a good thing because we have a new manager coming in.

To have scope to bring in a similar amount of players - even on Bosman's - means that from very early on he will have his own team, and won't have the restrictions of not being able to move on players he wanted shot off (other than the ones not out of contract).

It's a great starting point to go from, provided that the new manager is capable of replacing the leaving players adequately.

Stevie Reid
08-10-2010, 02:57 PM
Ditto Duffy - a guy who couldn't get a game in Div 1, hasnae kicked a ball

I'm looking forward to seeing what Duffy's got to offer. He's certainly a different option to our current striking options and has a decent scoring record in the SPL.

Albion Hibs
08-10-2010, 05:29 PM
You've obviously not seen Miller play this season. The heart of a mouse.

Ditto Duffy - a guy who couldn't get a game in Div 1, hasnae kicked a ball and you'd think about offering him a longer deal!?

Stack's a sick note - nothing special and was one of Yogi's characters.

Yes I have seen Miller play this season, and watched him all of last season. He is our best midfielder by an absolute mile, the problem he has is the players round him have not been playing well or are not good enough. In my view that is a total fact. Do you think we have better players to take his place?

If you READ what I said about Duffy, you will note that I said we should see how he plays when he gets fit and into the tea.

Stack for me is our best keeper, I think off the field he needs to change his attitude, but commands the area as good as any keeper we have had for a long time.

Just my view though!!!

How I have missed our banter!

Capt Mainwaring
08-10-2010, 07:10 PM
Riordan
Miller
Bamba
Zemmama
McBride
Galbraith?
Smith
Stack
Dickoh
Duffy
Trakys
Thicot
Rankin
Nish
Hogg

So if Yogi signed these players and knew that the other had contracts expiring at the same time - is this good management to look to start with a clean slate at the start of next season - or is is rank bad planning with absolutely no recogition that continuity of a core squad is essential for sustained improvement?

Say we did qualify for Europe next season ( bear with me!) the team to play in Europe next season, and to sustain the good position in the league, would be constructed from almost scratch. We'd be starting again -where's the long term plan??

Another reason why Yogi had lost our confidence me thinks

Dashing Bob S
08-10-2010, 07:16 PM
Get rid of them all.

And the new guy, whoever he is.

Don't let them hurt Bobby again.

Brads Laing
08-10-2010, 08:22 PM
Riordan
Miller
Bamba
Zemmama
McBride
Galbraith
Smith
Stack
Dickoh
Duffy
Trakys
Thicot
Rankin
Nish
Hogg

Keep these players, move the rest on and find better

HFC 0-7
08-10-2010, 09:52 PM
Thing is they would have to bust a gut to earn a move to another club, its their last chance to put themselves in the shop window

Dont think they do to be honest. We bought Miller Riordan and Stokes off the back of what they have been capable of not what they had been doing at their previous club.

We could end up with half a team of players that have signed pre contracts with other clubs meaning any manager wont get the best out of the for half a season whilst trying to find replacements within budget that are as good or better than the ones moving on. 1 or 2 players would be fine but the amount of players hibs could end up needing to replace will be difficult on our budget.

alex74
08-10-2010, 10:21 PM
Keep these players, move the rest on and find betteri agree m8

Franck is God
09-10-2010, 01:24 PM
Riordan
Miller
Bamba
Zemmama
McBride
Galbraith
Smith
Stack
Dickoh
Duffy
Trakys
Thicot
Rankin
Nish
Hogg

Out of these players I'd be happy for them all to leave as the money from their wages could be used to better the squad.

However given the option to give out new contracts I would look to keep Hogg, Nish, Miller, McBride & Duffy. They have all proven to be effective at SPL level and none will really break the bank for new contracts. Zemmama & Galbraith have the potential to be match winners but no consistency of form or fitness.

I do think that having so many players out of contract could help the rest of our season, some are playing for their futures at Hibs so will want to impress the new manager and others will be looking for a better move. Thats a win win for Hibs as far as I can see.

Sumner
09-10-2010, 03:29 PM
keep : Riordan, Miller & Zemmama

PUNT the rest asap :agree:

McD
09-10-2010, 04:13 PM

I'm not so sure about the agent part, many sources suggesting next summer will see an unprecedented number of players out of contract, with virtually every club in Europe looking to trim squads/wage bills, so there will be decent players fighting for contracts, which will hopefully work in our favour, as the club can avoid being held to ransom by threatening (or doing) to walk away and look at other options rather than paying over the odds.

I do agree with the pre-contract work beginning now/as soon as the new man is in, to try and get the best available within our structure, rather than what could end up being 3rd, 4th, 5th choice. The opportunity to get some high quality players in at reasonably costs is on the way. Except at the highest level, its a clubs market rather than a players market. Its why the likes of Cademarteri, Stack, Weaver, etc are/were playing here, coz no english club would take them on in this financial climate. If, and it is a huge if, Hibs box clever over the next, 10 months or so, we could siginficantly upgrade the playing squad without a massive difference to the wage bill.

Overall, it will cause a lot of upheaval, but it should mean a squad who are (nearly) all grateful for a contract, willing to work to impress, will fit the manager's vision and plans.

Golden Bear
09-10-2010, 04:21 PM
keep : Riordan, Miller & Zemmama

PUNT the rest asap :agree:

I'd punt Miller asap. He's a good footballer with a very questionable attitude. Maybe a luxury we can't afford.

Albion Hibs
09-10-2010, 04:25 PM
I'd punt Miller asap. He's a good footballer with a very questionable attitude. Maybe a luxury we can't afford.

I think keep him and get some better players around him. Would like to see him spending less time tracking back and spend more time sitting on the right side of the half way line.

matty_f
09-10-2010, 04:28 PM
I think keep him and get some better players around him. Would like to see him spending less time tracking back and spend more time sitting on the right side of the half way line.
:agree:
Would certainly keep Miller and look to change the system so that he plays as a forward thinking midfielder.

Golden Bear
09-10-2010, 04:32 PM

He had good players around him at his previous clubs and he still failed to impress on a consistent basis.

Calvin
09-10-2010, 04:35 PM
Riordan - Obviously a great player and one I'd hate to see leave again
Miller - A great player in the right system
Zemmama - The only player we have with flair and creativity, worth seeing how he does when he comes back from his injury
Mark Brown - A good enough keeper for our squad for sure
Hogg - Player of the Season a few years ago, I refuse to believe that he has suddenly become a dire player. Think he is still good enough.
Galbraith - One more for the future

I'd be disappointed to lose any of the above. Sell Bamba for a token fee in January I think.

Albion Hibs
09-10-2010, 04:40 PM
He had good players around him at his previous clubs and he still failed to impress on a consistent basis.

I think the key bit is consistency. At times, and in my view, more often than not he has been very good for us. I think consistency for him may be affected by the fact we have consistantly changed players about in the midfield and up front. More often than not you can see him seeking a pass / someone moving for him, but there is very little on that from.

IMO more of a reflection on the players around him, rather than on him. Without doubt I would keep him.

alex74
09-10-2010, 05:55 PM
I think the key bit is consistency. At times, and in my view, more often than not he has been very good for us. I think consistency for him may be affected by the fact we have consistantly changed players about in the midfield and up front. More often than not you can see him seeking a pass / someone moving for him, but there is very little on that from.

IMO more of a reflection on the players around him, rather than on him. Without doubt I would keep him.agree miller is quality with the right player beside him,a think bamba beside him until he goes will make a difference in the middle of the park wher most games are won

JohnScott
09-10-2010, 06:02 PM
I don't thinks it's coincidence that most of the team are out of contract and the recent poor performances we've seen.

Maybe i'm just being cynical but, these players wont want to risk injury on the remaining months of their contract.

Good way to advertise themselves to potential new clubs :confused:

Albion Hibs
09-10-2010, 06:06 PM
agree miller is quality with the right player beside him,a think bamba beside him until he goes will make a difference in the middle of the park wher most games are won

Agreed, Bamba seems to be costing a few goals at the moment and it is clear he wants away - his head is perhaps a little all over the place. Dickho had a good debut but since then his performances have come back a bit, albeit would not bench him for that. Would be tempted to put Grounds in at CH, with Murray at LB.

Interesting times ahead, the core of the team is there, a few contract to secure it - Brown, Murray, Hanlon (for me deserves a decent run), Miller, Riordan. Around that those on contract can contribute and there is a window for a new manager to come in and really get the team he wants.

JohnScott
09-10-2010, 06:10 PM
Dont think they do to be honest. We bought Miller Riordan and Stokes off the back of what they have been capable of not what they had been doing at their previous club.

We could end up with half a team of players that have signed pre contracts with other clubs meaning any manager wont get the best out of the for half a season whilst trying to find replacements within budget that are as good or better than the ones moving on. 1 or 2 players would be fine but the amount of players hibs could end up needing to replace will be difficult on our budget.

So if you really think these players have such a feeling of contempt for the Hibs would you want to sign them? Your view of them is ludicrous!

Hibs On Tour
09-10-2010, 06:46 PM
Next season's squad I'd want to start with:

Riordan - 100%
Miller - 100%
Bamba - if he still wants to be here
Zemmama - if he gets fit again
McBride - 100%
Galbraith - depends if he shows enough between now and the end of the season
Smith - complete Frankie Howard for my money - get shot
Stack - 100% keep - need to get him fit though
Dickoh - jury out - see how he is for the rest of the season
Duffy - impossible to say given he's been injured since day 1
Trakys - see how he fares for rest of season
Thicot - I can still see a role as a squad player for ST
Rankin - not cutting it for me
Nish - squad player at best - if we can replace with better, do so - if not, squad
Hogg - been rank this season - barring a complete turn-around get shot
De Graff - think he'll come good
Murray - keep
Spoony - 100% keep
Hanlon - 100% keep
Brown - poss keep as backup to Stack
Hart - keep - think he's been OK since arriving
Stephens - need to see him playing more before we can tell really - looked OK so far though

Plus the young lads out on loan at present - they need to be pressing for game-time sometime soon too...

easterhib
09-10-2010, 08:09 PM
Who's contract runs out at the end of this season? Out of the current first team:
Riordan
Miller
Bamba?
good news for the next manager.

DH1875
09-10-2010, 08:41 PM
Other than the obvious it's no bad thing really. Gives the new manager a chance to clear the decks.

proud_and_green
10-10-2010, 05:36 AM
I never said he was a non trier. What i said was it would be a bonus to get him off the books.

If every player in a HIbs shirt tried half as hard as Nishy then we would not be in the position we are.

The manager got the bullet for the results, but the players are responsible in my opinion.

Good article by Moira Gordon in the Scotsman.

The players at ER have had it too easy for too long, i look forward to seeing the non-triers being booted out and us getting in players who understand the privelege they have not only in playing for our club but in being able to play football for a living.

The day of reckoning is coming for the lazy ones and and not a day too soon!!!

PapillonVert
10-10-2010, 08:44 AM
If every player in a HIbs shirt tried half as hard as Nishy then we would not be in the position we are.

The manager got the bullet for the results, but the players are responsible in my opinion.

Good article by Moira Gordon in the Scotsman.

The players at ER have had it too easy for too long, i look forward to seeing the non-triers being booted out and us getting in players who understand the privelege they have not only in playing for our club but in being able to play football for a living.

The day of reckoning is coming for the lazy ones and and not a day too soon!!!

Yup, far too many treat their work as a hobby for which they expect a large weekly charitable donation from Hibs to fund their party lifestyles.

Time to turf the lazy, the shirkers and the downright deluded out the door and start again. Otherwise, in about 12 - 15 months yet another manager will joining the dole queue. It's time to cure the cause of the disease and not tinker around trying to fix the symptoms.

Hibs7
10-10-2010, 10:39 AM
Interesting story in the Scotsman, if true then there should be a major clearout next summer,

http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/With-18-contracts-ending-soon.6573566.jp

Manxhibs
10-10-2010, 11:47 AM
Riordan - Absolute must keep
Miller - On his game he is a great player, not seen that ability for a while
Bamba - If he wants to stay he is obviously a must keep but I think his heads in the clouds.
Zemmama - My favourite current hibs player, when hes fit hes a joy to watch
McBride - a squad player
Galbraith - Needs game time, will be a top player
Smith - Get rid
Stack - good back up
Dickoh - Not seen enough yet
Duffy - New manager might have different ideas regarding strikers
Trakys - Cant judge him
Thicot - I like him but he is just a squad player
Rankin - gives his all but his ability is questionable, id say get rid
Nish - same as rankin, gives his all but at the end of the day, he just isnt good enough
Hogg - short on confidence, maybe the new manager will galvanise him.

BEEJ
10-10-2010, 12:07 PM
Yup, far too many treat their work as a hobby for which they expect a large weekly charitable donation from Hibs to fund their party lifestyles.

Time to turf the lazy, the shirkers and the downright deluded out the door and start again. Otherwise, in about 12 - 15 months yet another manager will joining the dole queue. It's time to cure the cause of the disease and not tinker around trying to fix the symptoms.
Undoubtedly there's a problem with some players at the club not acting professionally and failing to give their all. However, I repeat what I've written before on this Board.

Only four players in today's squad survive from John Collins time as Manager. Just four out of a squad that numbers up to 33 players if you include the players out on loan. The four are Hogg, Stevenson, McCann and Zemmama - not the individuals whom you would immediately suspect as insurrectionists and trouble-makers in the dressing-room.

So the Managers themselves (Mixu and Yogi) have to take some responsibility for signing new players who subsequently appear to have turned on their boss and the club by exhibiting the behaviour of which we're now hearing.

How often do we repeat the mantra on here - "wait until he has his own squad, until he's brought in his own players". Doesn't appear to have counted for much in the case of either Mixu or Yogi. :rolleyes:

GloryGlory
10-10-2010, 12:12 PM
TBH, the likes of Rankin, Hogg, McBride, Smith, Nish and a good few others are no better than journeymen footballers. They are unlikely to get deals from a bigger club than Hibs and their next moves will be down the football ladder, not up. I'd take the risk of having a slightly smaller squad to pay bigger wages to get in better quality players. Players with technique, skill and pace, allied to a professional attitude and work ethic, would do for starters.

The club has to lose its role as a rest home and pensions supplement for the terminally lazy. If it is true that players are walking out of training sessions before the end and refusing to sit on the bench, as well as the off-field bad behaviour that we hear so much about, then they should be being fined heavily and disciplined by the club, up to and including having their contracts terminated, without compensation, for gross misconduct.

blackpoolhibs
10-10-2010, 01:12 PM
IMHO only Riordan Miller Bamba and Zemamma are players i'd say were must keeps. Although with all 4 out of contract i'd imagine we might lose all 4 for nothing. I'm resigned to losing Zemamma and Bamba anyway, the new manager has a hard job, but a virtual blank canvas to mold his new side.

matty_f
10-10-2010, 01:14 PM
IMHO only Riordan Miller Bamba and Zemamma are players i'd say were must keeps. Although with all 4 out of contract i'd imagine we might lose all 4 for nothing. I'm resigned to losing Zemamma and Bamba anyway, the new manager has a hard job, but a virtual blank canvas to mold his new side.

There is a possibility that a new manager coming in, if he's a good enough eye for a player and knows where to look (or who to ask), that all of the players listed could be replaced with better ones.

IMHO, given the performances over the last two seasons, no player at Easter Road is someone I'd consider a 'keep at all costs'. Riordan is the closest.

McD
10-10-2010, 01:41 PM
I hope that Currie and Welsh don't get lost in the shuffle during the upheaval, both contracts run out in December I believe.

Welsh in particular is very highly rated, but has been unlucky with injuries (currently rehabbing), would be very disappointed if these lads were to be let go in the kerfuffle of deciding which of the bigger names should be offered new deals.

Eganov
10-10-2010, 09:01 PM
Ok here's a massive inference...

Rod will obviously have known about the situation approaching re the player contracts. Is it a coincidence that the ground's finished, the training ground's finished and now the majority of our players are out of contract at the same time.

Are we now at a point which has been pre-planned by the Tache to make the step-up and clear out the players we have and then go on a bit of a spending spree ala McLeish?

For me, this manager appointment is the most crucial this decade as they may see us through this change (if true). A high end manager is needed to bring in high quality players and getting them playing well, get us into Europe regularly and a cup win or two? I'm not talking about challenging the Uglies so much but just reaching the level where we probably should be.

proud_and_green
11-10-2010, 03:26 AM
Ok here's a massive inference...

Rod will obviously have known about the situation approaching re the player contracts. Is it a coincidence that the ground's finished, the training ground's finished and now the majority of our players are out of contract at the same time.

Are we now at a point which has been pre-planned by the Tache to make the step-up and clear out the players we have and then go on a bit of a spending spree ala McLeish?

For me, this manager appointment is the most crucial this decade as they may see us through this change (if true). A high end manager is needed to bring in high quality players and getting them playing well, get us into Europe regularly and a cup win or two? I'm not talking about challenging the Uglies so much but just reaching the level where we probably should be.

It could be that, but i doubt that Rod would sanction any action which could take us back to the position we were in post McLeish and particularly when we are only just scraping a profit.

I think it is more likely to be that the team hasn't performed therefore none of them have done sufficient to merit a new contract

Beefster
11-10-2010, 07:04 AM
I don't think that there is a single must-keep in that list. Depending on what exactly the new manager is looking for, he could quite easily get rid of the lot of them.

Mr Jolly
11-10-2010, 07:23 AM
I'd keep Riordan and Galbraith (if he proves himself in a decent run of games). Apart from that, I wouldn't be that disappointed to see any of them leave, with the possible exception of Miller who, on his day, could be one of the best midfielders in the SPL.

Miller would be the first on my list to go. He is living on a perutation he cant live up to. Bamba would be second. Loved on .net and frankly, I cant for the life of me see why.

Diclonius
11-10-2010, 07:46 AM
Riordan
Miller
Bamba
Zemmama
McBride
Galbraith
Smith
Stack
Dickoh
Trakys
Thicot
Rankin
Nish
Hogg

I'd keep them. Bamba's away regardless, and Duffy is a loan signing so it isn't really accurate to have him in the list at all.