PDA

View Full Version : Scotland team v Czech Republic (no Kenny Miller)

Diclonius
07-10-2010, 04:28 PM
Levein considering dropping him for the Scotland game in place of Jamie Mackie.

Is this guy ****ing serious?! The first time in recent years I would see Miller as a dead cert to start, seeing as he is quite possibly in the form of his life, and that on top of scoring an absolute belter in his last Scotland game. But no, the master tactitian is thinking of dropping him in place of a no-mark with a Scottish granny/grandad or some such.

Unbelievable.

HFC 0-7
07-10-2010, 04:32 PM
Levein considering dropping him for the Scotland game in place of Jamie Mackie.

Is this guy ****ing serious?! The first time in recent years I would see Miller as a dead cert to start, seeing as he is quite possibly in the form of his life, and that on top of scoring an absolute belter in his last Scotland game. But no, the master tactitian is thinking of dropping him in place of a no-mark with a Scottish granny/grandad or some such.

Unbelievable.

He is on fire but he is prone to missing chances when they come his way for Scotland. In saying that he misses a lot wherever he has been, thats why I think it didnt work out for him down south. Sometimes he needs 5 chances before he scores 1, in international football you cant have that.

Not saying I would drop him if i was manager, but I see why he might do it. Someone downsouth at a club in a harder league may have a worse scoring record but may get 1 chance and take that chance.

ScottB
07-10-2010, 04:47 PM
When was the last time Miller did the business for Scotland? Or dare i ask on a consistent basis?

Big deal, he's scoring goals in the SPL. Boyd scored a whole heap more than Miller and he's scored jack in the Championship. This Mackie lad is on fire against a much better standard of opposition than Miller, so lets give him a shot.

If you want to get angry about it, I'd question Levein's desire to go off hunting out English pseudo Scots instead of playing Scottish players who never get near the squad, such as Riordan, but in my opinion Miller's time with Scotland should be over, we will be 4-5-1 in the next two games anyway and he's utterly useless in that role.

CB_NO3
07-10-2010, 04:59 PM
When was the last time Miller did the business for Scotland? Or dare i ask on a consistent basis?

Big deal, he's scoring goals in the SPL. Boyd scored a whole heap more than Miller and he's scored jack in the Championship. This Mackie lad is on fire against a much better standard of opposition than Miller, so lets give him a shot.

If you want to get angry about it, I'd question Levein's desire to go off hunting out English pseudo Scots instead of playing Scottish players who never get near the squad, such as Riordan, but in my opinion Miller's time with Scotland should be over, we will be 4-5-1 in the next two games anyway and he's utterly useless in that role.
I would disagree, Miller is on fire just now, at the moment he is the best striker in the SPL, banging goals in for fun and ripping the league apart. Miller's movement is class. The last few games at Easter Road his movement has ripped Hibs apart. He has played 4-5-1 for Rangers in the Champions League this season being quite successful. Dont get me wrong he is still a Hun get though.

ScottB
07-10-2010, 05:03 PM
I would disagree, Miller is on fire just now, at the moment he is the best striker in the SPL, banging goals in for fun and ripping the league apart. Miller's movement is class. The last few games at Easter Road his movement has ripped Hibs apart. He has played 4-5-1 for Rangers in the Champions League this season being quite successful. Dont get me wrong he is still a Hun get though.

The SPL is garbage though! We face the Czechs, then the best team in the world! How did Miller perform in the last matches (immediately after he admittedly tore us too pieces) when we were up against the might of Lithuania and Lichtenstein? He's not good enough for Scotland for me, certainly not as a loan striker.

Mackie was just voted player of the month in the Championship, he is worth a go over Miller. I'd be choosing between him and Fletcher simply due to the quality of opposition they play against.

CB_NO3
07-10-2010, 05:08 PM
The SPL is garbage though! We face the Czechs, then the best team in the world! How did Miller perform in the last matches (immediately after he admittedly tore us too pieces) when we were up against the might of Lithuania and Lichtenstein? He's not good enough for Scotland for me, certainly not as a loan striker.

Mackie was just voted player of the month in the Championship, he is worth a go over Miller. I'd be choosing between him and Fletcher simply due to the quality of opposition they play against.
You say the SPL is garbage (which it is, I agree with you) but your moaning about Levien not looking at Riordan who plays in the SPL, bit double standards there. I had never heard of this Mackie boy till a few weeks ago. Dont get me wrong, am no Miller fan but he is Scotlands best striker and has scored some very important goals against big teams, Italy and Germany to name a few.

NOLA
07-10-2010, 05:08 PM
What times kick off?

Wotherspiniesta
07-10-2010, 05:11 PM
Hallelujah!

It's about time he was dropped. 1 goal against Lichtenstein won't fool me. Over 1000 minutes before that goal since he last scored a competitive goal for our country despite starting in nearly every single game.

1 good performance against a bunch ofpart timers doesn't hide the fact that Miller is pish at International level and 99 times out of 100 bottles his opportunities in a Scotland top.

Its about time someone else was given a chance.

CB_NO3
07-10-2010, 05:12 PM
What times kick off?

LamontHFC©
07-10-2010, 05:12 PM
You say the SPL is garbage (which it is, I agree with you) but your moaning about Levien not looking at Riordan who plays in the SPL, bit double standards there. I had never heard of this Mackie boy till a few weeks ago. Dont get me wrong, am no Miller fan but he is Scotlands best striker and has scored some very important goals against big teams, Italy and Germany to name a few.

But how many huge chances has he missed? Much more than he has scored.

Holland at home last year with the score 0-0, and an open goal come to mind?

CB_NO3
07-10-2010, 05:16 PM
But how many huge chances has he missed? Much more than he has scored.

Holland at home last year with the score 0-0, and an open goal come to mind?

Am not disagreeing with that, all I am saying is that all the chances he has had to be dropped, they do it when he is in the best form of his life and replace him with a boy that has had 10 good games in his career, thats the bit I dont get.

Kaiser1962
07-10-2010, 05:36 PM
This is Potter displaying his "tactical nous" by surprising the opposition. I think he is trying for a 0-0 from the start.

ScottB
07-10-2010, 05:52 PM

That was more that the OP was complaining he was replacing Miller with a pseudo Scot, even though he is potentially a better player. I do object to Levein seeming to spend all his time chasing English players though while ignoring Riordan and others point blank. I would also suggest Riordan would be worth a shot over Miller at some point anyway. Miller isn't a game changer, he misses most of his chances at international level etc. Riordan can pop up from nowhere and score, hit a cracking free kick etc.

But since he seems determined to play a load of English players, we may as well chuck Mackie in and see what happens.

ScottB
07-10-2010, 05:53 PM
Hallelujah!

It's about time he was dropped. 1 goal against Lichtenstein won't fool me. Over 1000 minutes before that goal since he last scored a competitive goal for our country despite starting in nearly every single game.

1 good performance against a bunch ofpart timers doesn't hide the fact that Miller is pish at International level and 99 times out of 100 bottles his opportunities in a Scotland top.

Its about time someone else was given a chance.

Exactly this for me.

ronaldo7
07-10-2010, 07:20 PM
Under 21's winning in Iceland...Murphy the scorer:thumbsup:

Craig_in_Prague
07-10-2010, 08:08 PM
Team confirmed.
Mackie and Naismith, No Miller........

Caldwell in midfield :grr:

Full team: Mcgregor, Hutton, Weir, McManus, Whittaker, Dorrans, Caldwell, Fletcher, Morrison, Mackie and Naismith

I wonder how good this Mackie is?
Miller, Boyd, Riordan, S. Fletcher all overlooked, so I hope he's good!!

ballengeich
07-10-2010, 08:21 PM
Team confirmed.

Surprised about Mackie in ahead of Miller. I don't think the championship's significantly better than the SPL and Miller has international and European club experience way ahead of Mackie's. But what do I know. Caldwell's a risk because he hasn't played this season - usually he'd be in the first choice 11.

blackpoolhibs
07-10-2010, 08:26 PM
I wonder how long it will be before Miller decides he wont play for potter?

Arch Stanton
07-10-2010, 08:34 PM

If he is picked on Friday then he will be on his own up front - a thankless task which he works incredibly hard at but no one can claim he is very able at it.

I personally think Miller is more of a team guy than you give him credit for.

ScottB
07-10-2010, 08:37 PM
Starting Caldwell is utter madness.

Musselbound
07-10-2010, 09:50 PM
Surprised about Mackie in ahead of Miller. I don't think the championship's significantly better than the SPL and Miller has international and European club experience way ahead of Mackie's. But what do I know. Caldwell's a risk because he hasn't played this season - usually he'd be in the first choice 11.

I am also very surprised - but pleasantly. Firstly, surprised that Levein has had the bottle to make such a decision when the Glasgow media will be dead against it. What does this do for the Largs mafia theory or the one that he only picks Huns or Old Firm players?

The funny thing is that he was criticised for doing so and then we he doesn't he is shot down again. Damned if you do and damned if you don't - all part of the joys of being the Scotland coach. Has it occurred to anybody that Levein has had time to assess both of them this week and come to the conclusion that Mackie is perhaps the better player? How many of the critics can make a genuine assessment of Mackie's abilities?

Cutting to the chase - I've been very impressed by what I've seen of Mackie on the Championship highlights lately. Not only the goalscoring but his pace and constant movement. I have a mate who's a Derby County (and Scotland) fan. He says he's seen Mackie play in the flesh a couple of times (for Plymouth and QPR)and was far more impressed with him than he ever was by Kenny Miller (who played in the Championship for several years of course, including Derby). The QPR fans absolutely adore this guy already and their constant chant is Walking in a Mackie Wonderland. I kid you not.

It is priceless that people are dissing Mackie when they've never seen him play and probably wouldn't even recognise him in the street at the moment. Don't get me wrong - Miller is in good form but no more so than Mackie, and if the Championship is not significantly better than the SPL then it is certainly no worse.

Miller will have his part to play in this double header. But unlike the Weej meeja, let's see how Mackie and Scotland do before starting any outcry. I'm also pleasantly surprised that Levein has given the nod to both Dorrans and Morrison. I wonder if it's an attacking type too many in the line up but I never thought I'd criticise Levein for that so good on him. Caldwell would be my main concern, hardly having kicked a ball in earnest this season.

California-Hibs
07-10-2010, 10:00 PM
People who go on about Miller being a poor player etc quite frankly know little about football. He is on fire at the moment, and has been scoring some fantastic goals. He scored a rocket against Liechtenstein, and he also works really had for the team. Some folk really need to let go of the Miller is rubbish nonesence. Is it because he used to be one of us and now plays for Rangers? It's not the nicest situation, yes, but he is a good footballer! :agree:

ballengeich
07-10-2010, 10:22 PM
I am also very surprised - but pleasantly. Firstly, surprised that Levein has had the bottle to make such a decision when the Glasgow media will be dead against it. What does this do for the Largs mafia theory or the one that he only picks Huns or Old Firm players?

The funny thing is that he was criticised for doing so and then we he doesn't he is shot down again. Damned if you do and damned if you don't - all part of the joys of being the Scotland coach. Has it occurred to anybody that Levein has had time to assess both of them this week and come to the conclusion that Mackie is perhaps the better player? How many of the critics can make a genuine assessment of Mackie's abilities?

Cutting to the chase - I've been very impressed by what I've seen of Mackie on the Championship highlights lately. Not only the goalscoring but his pace and constant movement. I have a mate who's a Derby County (and Scotland) fan. He says he's seen Mackie play in the flesh a couple of times (for Plymouth and QPR)and was far more impressed with him than he ever was by Kenny Miller (who played in the Championship for several years of course, including Derby). The QPR fans absolutely adore this guy already and their constant chant is Walking in a Mackie Wonderland. I kid you not.

It is priceless that people are dissing Mackie when they've never seen him play and probably wouldn't even recognise him in the street at the moment. Don't get me wrong - Miller is in good form but no more so than Mackie, and if the Championship is not significantly better than the SPL then it is certainly no worse.

Miller will have his part to play in this double header. But unlike the Weej meeja, let's see how Mackie and Scotland do before starting any outcry. I'm also pleasantly surprised that Levein has given the nod to both Dorrans and Morrison. I wonder if it's an attacking type too many in the line up but I never thought I'd criticise Levein for that so good on him. Caldwell would be my main concern, hardly having kicked a ball in earnest this season.

Good post - Levein is following his own judgment and let's hope he's got it right.

Hibbyradge
07-10-2010, 10:26 PM
Miller would be the first name on my team sheet.

No-one else comes close to working as hard for the cause as he does.

Manxhibs
07-10-2010, 10:32 PM
Having only seen bits of and pieces of what jamie mackie can do I agree he should be given a chance. However Stephen Fletcher is a premiership footballer who starts for wolves week in week out and I can not understand why he does not start for scotland, baffling.

Spudster
07-10-2010, 10:37 PM
He is on fire but he is prone to missing chances when they come his way for Scotland. In saying that he misses a lot wherever he has been, thats why I think it didnt work out for him down south. Sometimes he needs 5 chances before he scores 1, in international football you cant have that.

:confused:
He done well for Wolves (despite playing on the wing, the mind boggles!) then came home for family reasons, then was the Stand out in (an albeit terrible) Derby team.

Hibbyradge
07-10-2010, 10:42 PM
Having only seen bits of and pieces of what jamie mackie can do I agree he should be given a chance. However Stephen Fletcher is a premiership footballer who starts for wolves week in week out and I can not understand why he does not start for scotland, baffling.

It's because he's an entirely different player than Miller. Fletcher needs folk around him, but Scotland need to go with only 1 up front.

Miller is the obvious choice for that lone role. Fletch would have a shout if we went 4 4 2, but Miller is fantastic as a lone striker.

NthCarolinaHibs
07-10-2010, 10:46 PM
Is that UK time?

Hibbyradge
07-10-2010, 10:49 PM
Is that UK time?

Aye.

madabouthibs
07-10-2010, 10:50 PM
Perhaps Potter isn't expecting much in the way of goalscoring opportunities, playing one up and all that, and feels that another two games without a Miller goal and people would start questioning his place in the team? Strikers merit praise on goals scored, not mileage covered after all. :agree:
So he drops him, brings in the new guy, maybe he goes two or three games without scoring, nobody really notices though. Meanwhile the star striker is waiting in the wings to step back in with no real extra pressure coz he's not been playing for the last couple of games. In other words, Potter is protecting him.
Or, if Mackie does score, then Potter's a genius! :cool2:

My other theory is, Miller is predictable, he looks good in the SPL and fair enough, he does a decent job, but on an international stage he falters against a higher standard of defender. Bring the new guy in, he's worth a bash!

California-Hibs
07-10-2010, 10:54 PM

I'm with you mate! :agree:

NthCarolinaHibs
07-10-2010, 10:59 PM
Aye.Cheers mate..it's no on the telly here:boo hoo: and a nightmare trying to find it online

Hibs On Tour
07-10-2010, 11:26 PM
Personally think its madness from Potter. Yes, the guy might be good, yes he might be in form [both of which Miller could legitimately claim also] but he's just in the door and probably won't even have met most of the players he's going to be running out of the tunnel with.

Given two comparable players, in comparable form, against comparable opposition which one should be picked in a highly competitive game? The one who the rest of the team already know and trust surely? By all means stick the other guy on the bench but the first leg of a crucial qualification double-header isn't the time or place to be blooding newbies in my humble opinion. Surely that's what friendlies are for? Or even coming off the bench in games against the perceived minnows such as Lichenstein. You don't start experimenting in the big games. Think its possible to say that Miller tends to deliver for Scotland more in the games against big names than minnows but I could well be wrong about that too! :wink:

Sad to say but I think we may get brought down to earth [in the context of some people getting all over-excited because the Czechs fell to a freak result last time out] and possibly get 3 or 4 stuck past us.

As an aside, if I was Kenny Miller I'd be more than a little ****ed off with it too. After all, given he scored last time out and runs his head off for the team every time he's asked to do so in the 4-5-1 I think he had a fair expectation to start this one, particularly given his club form.

Time will tell I suppose.

ScottB
07-10-2010, 11:32 PM
People who go on about Miller being a poor player etc quite frankly know little about football. He is on fire at the moment, and has been scoring some fantastic goals. He scored a rocket against Liechtenstein, and he also works really had for the team. Some folk really need to let go of the Miller is rubbish nonesence. Is it because he used to be one of us and now plays for Rangers? It's not the nicest situation, yes, but he is a good footballer! :agree:

1,000 minutes without a goal for Scotland, until his strike against the mighty Lichtenstein of course, says otherwise doesn't it?

Yes, he works hard for the team, but on his own, up front for Scotland he has proven time and time again to be ineffectual. Play a 4 4 2 or a 3 5 2 and stick him in by all means, but if we are to persist with a 4 5 1 he is not the man.

Musselbound
07-10-2010, 11:54 PM
Personally think its madness from Potter. Yes, the guy might be good, yes he might be in form [both of which Miller could legitimately claim also] but he's just in the door and probably won't even have met most of the players he's going to be running out of the tunnel with.

Given two comparable players, in comparable form, against comparable opposition which one should be picked in a highly competitive game? The one who the rest of the team already know and trust surely? By all means stick the other guy on the bench but the first leg of a crucial qualification double-header isn't the time or place to be blooding newbies in my humble opinion. Surely that's what friendlies are for? Or even coming off the bench in games against the perceived minnows such as Lichenstein. You don't start experimenting in the big games. Think its possible to say that Miller tends to deliver for Scotland more in the games against big names than minnows but I could well be wrong about that too! :wink:

Sad to say but I think we may get brought down to earth [in the context of some people getting all over-excited because the Czechs fell to a freak result last time out] and possibly get 3 or 4 stuck past us.

As an aside, if I was Kenny Miller I'd be more than a little ****ed off with it too. After all, given he scored last time out and runs his head off for the team every time he's asked to do so in the 4-5-1 I think he had a fair expectation to start this one, particularly given his club form.

Time will tell I suppose.

Fair comment but remember there is 180 mins of football to be played this week. I'd expect Miller to come on as a sub tomorrow and if Mackie doesn't do great then Miller will start against Spain anyway - that's probably the plan unless Mackie has a blinder.

I know Miller's in good form for his club but it's incredible that it's suddenly become unthinkable to drop him when most fans have been complaining for years that he isn't good enough at this level. He scored against Lichtenstein but he wasn't great in either game of that double header. This will keep him on his toes and he'll be out to prove a point which is no bad thing. Maybe he'd begun to take his place for granted which is ridiculous. The fact there is competition for places up front now can only be healthy.

There are 4 strikers in good form for their clubs: Miller, Mackie, Fletcher and Iwelumo. When was the last time Scotland could say that?

Hibs On Tour
08-10-2010, 12:46 AM
Fair comment but remember there is 180 mins of football to be played this week. I'd expect Miller to come on as a sub tomorrow and if Mackie doesn't do great then Miller will start against Spain anyway - that's probably the plan unless Mackie has a blinder.

I know Miller's in good form for his club but it's incredible that it's suddenly become unthinkable to drop him when most fans have been complaining for years that he isn't good enough at this level. He scored against Lichtenstein but he wasn't great in either game of that double header. This will keep him on his toes and he'll be out to prove a point which is no bad thing. Maybe he'd begun to take his place for granted which is ridiculous. The fact there is competition for places up front now can only be healthy.

There are 4 strikers in good form for their clubs: Miller, Mackie, Fletcher and Iwelumo. When was the last time Scotland could say that?

Point taken but my main thrust was that with 4 strikers in form, this is not the time to be blooding the one who hasn't played for us before. That makes no sense in my book. Bench at best for the new boy. Miller is at least tried and tested doing the one man up front on his own role, a role incidentally that I don't think any of the candidates are best suited to. If its a two man attack I can't see why KM isn't starting as one of the two.

I'd have the new boy on the bench. KM starting. If 1 up front its KM, if two then KM + SF most likely with CI on the bench also.

I just think its awfy risky bringing new players into the first 11 when realistically all they'll have had is a couple of training sessions with the team to gel.

Hibs On Tour
08-10-2010, 12:48 AM
1,000 minutes without a goal for Scotland, until his strike against the mighty Lichtenstein of course, says otherwise doesn't it?

Yes, he works hard for the team, but on his own, up front for Scotland he has proven time and time again to be ineffectual. Play a 4 4 2 or a 3 5 2 and stick him in by all means, but if we are to persist with a 4 5 1 he is not the man.

Problem is Scott, who do we stick in if not KM? SF and CI aren't lone strikers. The new guy would be better served being in the squad and on the bench and maybe coming on if we need a change as opposed to starting and having an added responsibility on his shoulders.

ScottB
08-10-2010, 12:51 AM
To be fair we are missing that once again, Stevie Naismith is going to start.

So while Levein can be applauded for risking the Weegie Media's wrath dropping Miller, he's drafted in another player who can't even claim to be in form.

I must miss how much of this much vaunted defensive work that Naismith does that Riordan doesn't, and why he's a better bet to be out there other than Fletcher chiefly, but also Miller and Iwelumno...

ScottB
08-10-2010, 12:53 AM
Problem is Scott, who do we stick in if not KM? SF and CI aren't lone strikers. The new guy would be better served being in the squad and on the bench and maybe coming on if we need a change as opposed to starting and having an added responsibility on his shoulders.

I wouldn't have us go 4 5 1 at all, we simply don't have a striker who can do the role on their own and score on a regular basis!

As I said, I'd be more than happy to have Miller + one of the others, as he will get the ball, create chances etc in that role. At the moment our 4 5 1 games have usually resulted in Miller either not getting the ball as he's marked out the game or having to go deep to get it, then losing it before he can shoot. Better to go 3 5 2 or something and give us a chance of scoring some goals!

NthCarolinaHibs
08-10-2010, 12:57 AM
To be fair we are missing that once again, Stevie Naismith is going to start.

So while Levein can be applauded for risking the Weegie Media's wrath dropping Miller, he's drafted in another player who can't even claim to be in form.

I must miss how much of this much vaunted defensive work that Naismith does that Riordan doesn't, and why he's a better bet to be out there other than Fletcher chiefly, but also Miller and Iwelumno...The ongoing question of how much of the team can Potter pick, without the high heid yins telling him..'try again son' :grr:

Musselbound
08-10-2010, 01:09 AM
Point taken but my main thrust was that with 4 strikers in form, this is not the time to be blooding the one who hasn't played for us before. That makes no sense in my book. Bench at best for the new boy. Miller is at least tried and tested doing the one man up front on his own role, a role incidentally that I don't think any of the candidates are best suited to. If its a two man attack I can't see why KM isn't starting as one of the two.

I'd have the new boy on the bench. KM starting. If 1 up front its KM, if two then KM + SF most likely with CI on the bench also.

I just think its awfy risky bringing new players into the first 11 when realistically all they'll have had is a couple of training sessions with the team to gel.

It is very surprising, no doubt about it. It's also a brave decision. Whether it's the right one remains to be seen. Mackie might surprise a few people. Then again, maybe not. But there's no guarantee KM will play well in a Scotland jersey either. I don't think we're disagreeing on much. My main criticism is of people saying Miller should be picked because he's on form while overlooking Mackie who has been on fire too. I suspect many of them have never seen him play at all. In the past, Scotland managers have often been criticised for taking the safe option in terms of experience so it's an interesting development at least. I am very surprised because until now Levein has struck me as being more cautious than most. In saying that, I think the bigger risk is maybe playing Caldwell rather than say, Robson.

NthCarolinaHibs
08-10-2010, 01:17 AM
How Caldwell EVER got a game, to start with, is a puzzle to me, and now not having kicked a ball this season in the EPL, he gets thrown in to this game...way beyond me:confused:

ScottB
08-10-2010, 02:17 AM
How Caldwell EVER got a game, to start with, is a puzzle to me, and now not having kicked a ball this season in the EPL, he gets thrown in to this game...way beyond me:confused:

I was worrying he'd save him for Spain!

Saying that though, the Czech match is the one we need to win...

Sprouleflyer
08-10-2010, 06:01 AM
Team confirmed.

Full team: Mcgregor, Hutton, Weir, McManus, Whittaker, Dorrans, Caldwell, Fletcher, Morrison, Mackie and Naismith

I wonder how good this Mackie is?
Miller, Boyd, Riordan, S. Fletcher all overlooked, so I hope he's good!!

That to me looks like a very attacking minded team, looks like a formation that when defending will be a 4-5-1 but when attacking can quickly change into a 4-4-2 formation......interesting.

Hutton and Whittaker are both attcking full backs, Dorrans and Morrison would look to be our creative midfield with Fletcher and Caldwell playing the holding roll. Mackie and Naismith up front, Naismith who is a tricky type of player and quick with his feet, really need to keep the ball on the deck when supplying Naismith, so no 50 yards crossfield blooters up the park Caldwell!!!! Know nothing about Mackie, lets hope the gamble pays off for Potter.

Craig_in_Prague
08-10-2010, 06:31 AM
That to me looks like a very attacking minded team, looks like a formation that when defending will be a 4-5-1 but when attacking can quickly change into a 4-4-2 formation......interesting.

Hutton and Whittaker are both attcking full backs, Dorrans and Morrison would look to be our creative midfield with Fletcher and Caldwell playing the holding roll. Mackie and Naismith up front, Naismith who is a tricky type of player and quick with his feet, really need to keep the ball on the deck when supplying Naismith, so no 50 yards crossfield blooters up the park Caldwell!!!! Know nothing about Mackie, lets hope the gamble pays off for Potter.

I agree buddy,
I like the fact Dorrans and Morrison both start, I thought he'd only have gone with 1 of them... They are players that can drive forward and dribble, with Hutton and Whittaker as well, we should be able to get forward with a little pace and also on the deck. The team has good balance and I just hope Caldwell in midfield works out... IS he fit enough to mark quick Czech players!

Must be about beer time in an hour or 2 :cool2:

Matty_Jack04
08-10-2010, 07:06 AM
Scotland: McGregor, Hutton, Weir, McManus, Whittaker, G Caldwell, D Fletcher, Dorrans, Morrison, Naismith, Mackie

Now im not claiming to be more in the know than Mr.Jambo but gary caldwell hasnt kicked a ball this season and has just returned from double hip operations, im thinking he is not going with 5 at the back so CALDWELL IN MIDFEILD!! this has to be a joke.
Also, im aware that the lad mackie is in good form for QPR BUT he is untried at international level and kenny miller is banging them in for der hun at the moment, im also aware its been a while since he has scored an international goal but surely the fact he's playing champs league football (and well) and scotlands top scorer? count for something.

im all of a sudden feeling very gloom about not just this game tonight but the whole craig levein era, same old same old, so much for him changing things and shaking things up.

Hibbyradge
08-10-2010, 07:08 AM
I'm sure Levein wouldn't have wanted to play Caldwell, but who else can play the holding role?

Everyone else is out injured.

Matty_Jack04
08-10-2010, 07:16 AM
why dont we try playing D fletcher in that position.......i mean he plays there for utd, arsene wenger had right old go at him for being 'anti-football' lasst year so he must be doing something right?

but naw we stick a nowhere near fit centre half in there and let fletcher take the flak for not performing as well for country as he does club. We've also got paul hartley there who has adopted that role since his legs dont get him box to box anymore.

Or......

we could abandon the 'holding role' get a forward thinkin midfeilder in and take the game to these clowns

bingo70
08-10-2010, 07:17 AM
Is scott brown injured, suspended or dropped? If caldwell is playing it may well be to try and get him to man mark rosicky, i realise its not a fair match up, however as the radge says, there really isnt anyone else to perform that role! Ive absolutely no problem with miller being dropped

Hibbyradge
08-10-2010, 07:23 AM
why dont we try playing D fletcher in that position.......i mean he plays there for utd, arsene wenger had right old go at him for being 'anti-football' lasst year so he must be doing something right?

but naw we stick a nowhere near fit centre half in there and let fletcher take the flak for not performing as well for country as he does club. We've also got paul hartley there who has adopted that role since his legs dont get him box to box anymore.

Or......

we could abandon the 'holding role' get a forward thinkin midfeilder in and take the game to these clowns

This is a vital game. We don't want to be "trying" things.

Anyway, even if we did waste Fletcher back there, who would replace him in the middle?

Hibbyradge
08-10-2010, 07:23 AM
Is scott brown injured, suspended or dropped? If caldwell is playing it may well be to try and get him to man mark rosicky, i realise its not a fair match up, however as the radge says, there really isnt anyone else to perform that role! Ive absolutely no problem with miller being dropped

Brown is injured.

seanraff07
08-10-2010, 07:37 AM
OP, you said it's been a while since Miller's last international goal but he scored a peach in our most recent game. I've not got a problem with Mackie starting, it's Naismith starting again that baffles me.. personally i think he's utter gash! I agree with Caldwell, bad enough playing him in midfield at all but especially when he's straight back from an operation, is Brown injured or something? Also i'm glad Dorrans is getting a chance, great wee player!

Hibbyradge
08-10-2010, 07:50 AM
OP, you said it's been a while since Miller's last international goal but he scored a peach in our most recent game. I've not got a problem with Mackie starting, it's Naismith starting again that baffles me.. personally i think he's utter gash! I agree with Caldwell, bad enough playing him in midfield at all but especially when he's straight back from an operation, is Brown injured or something? Also i'm glad Dorrans is getting a chance, great wee player!

Sometimes we see what we want to see, Sean. Naismith's work rate is unbelievable.

Against the Hearts, for example, he was up and down the pitch for the full 90 minutes and still managed to score the winner right at the death.

Hardly "utter gash"!

Pretty Boy
08-10-2010, 07:50 AM
Browns injured.

Miller may be banging them in for the huns but he has been gash at international level for God knows how long, even taking into account his goal in the last game.

According to Sky both Fletcher and Caldwell will play 'holding roles'.

Mackie is banging them in for QPR who are playing some great stuff, why not give him a shot?

Dorrans is a cracking player and deserves a shot.

Naismith is gash and shouldn't be anywhere near a Scotland team.

The sooner Craig Gordon is fit the better, superior goalkeeper and superior human being to McGreggor.

Judas Iscariot
08-10-2010, 07:55 AM
4-0 to the only country in the world that doesn't use coins or notes as currency..

Hibbyradge
08-10-2010, 07:58 AM
Browns injured.

Miller may be banging them in for the huns but he has been gash at international level for God knows how long, even taking into account his goal in the last game.

Mackie is banging them in for QPR who are playing some great stuff, why not give him a shot?

The sooner Craig Gordon is fit the better, superior goalkeeper and superior human being to McGreggor.

Define "gash". :greengrin

Miller is by far the best we have for the solo striker role. His energy and pace makes him a real handful for opposition defences and provides a fantastic release option for our midfield.

Naismith is up and down all day long. Given we don't have many (any) flair players, we do need workers. He fits that bill.

Anyway, who would replace him?

Sylar
08-10-2010, 08:04 AM

Green tinted glasses with respect to Naismith me thinks. He's in absolutely sensational form for Rangers just now and is well deserving of his call up and start. I've not always felt that (particularly when he was just back from injury), but he's a worthy addition to the Scotland team. Tireless engine, willing to get stuck in and knows how to find the net. Him on one side and Dorrans on the other should be an exciting pairing, should they be given the chance to go forward.

Not sure I agree with Miller being benched for such a BIG game - he is also on good form just now and scored in the last outing. I haven't heard of Mackie, but it seems a bit of a stretch for an internationally untested player to lead the line in his first cap, in a Euro qualifier against a decent Czech Republic side.

Naismith, Dorrans, Morrison, Hutton, Whittaker, McGregor and (by all accounts) Mackie are all in good form just now, so hopefully they gel and work well together.

Pretty Boy
08-10-2010, 08:07 AM
Gash is a striker who scores an international goal once in a blue moon. Who runs about like a headless chicken, who's idea of a fantastic run is accross the defender towards the corner, every single time.

Naismith works hard but he has limited quality. I have a couple of hun mates and neither of them has a good word to say about him. As for who could replace him. Shaun Maloney?

johnrebus
08-10-2010, 08:07 AM
Browns injured.

Not so sure about that bit.

Remember Deano at Tynecastle?

:confused:

greenlex
08-10-2010, 08:11 AM
Scotland: McGregor, Hutton, Weir, McManus, Whittaker, G Caldwell, D Fletcher, Dorrans, Morrison, Naismith, Mackie

Now im not claiming to be more in the know than Mr.Jambo but gary caldwell hasnt kicked a ball this season and has just returned from double hip operations, im thinking he is not going with 5 at the back so CALDWELL IN MIDFEILD!! this has to be a joke.
Also, im aware that the lad mackie is in good form for QPR BUT he is untried at international level and kenny miller is banging them in for der hun at the moment, im also aware its been a while since he has scored an international goal but surely the fact he's playing champs league football (and well) and scotlands top scorer? count for something.

im all of a sudden feeling very gloom about not just this game tonight but the whole craig levein era, same old same old, so much for him changing things and shaking things up.

Same old same old but drops Miller for a Mackie who by all accounts is on fire?:confused:
I think thats changing things is it not?
Not saying I agree with it but its not Same old same old.

easty
08-10-2010, 08:14 AM
Was emailing my mate about the team this moring...said this...

I can't believe Kenny Miller, who has never been in better form in his life is being dropped. I don't get it, for the last however many years he's been distinctly average at club level but always been picked for Scotland, now he's actually doing well, and scored a good goal in the last Scotland game, but isnt in the team. It's odd.

I think the teams too defensive, we're playing Czech Rep not Spain or Brazil. If we get the result then I suppose thats all that matters, but nae wonder we hardly have any good young players in this country when even the "best" team we have go out and play humpty "defend, defend, defend" football, hardly inspiring.

Ritchie
08-10-2010, 09:17 AM
glad to see dorran & morrison starting.

i have a feeling we might do well tonight.

sunshine1875
08-10-2010, 09:18 AM

Acually, I agree with his formation given the problem with players not available through injury & suspension, provided that Caldwell is actually fit to play.

Re Miller, he may be on-fire in the top league that is the SPL, but the key fact is that never has there been a Scottish International with such poor control as him. He is great scoring goals when they are on a plate, as many of his Rangers goal are, but he is not going to get these chances against the better European teams. A headless chicken if ever there was one. Mackie, a bit left-field for me, but lets hope he shows his QPR form tonight.

Re Caldwell, and this assumes he is fit to play, he has been efffective in the holding central midfield position before when he first came on the scene for Scotland. And, I cannot think of any other Scottish Inernational that could play in that position that is fit and not suspended (except for Fletcher), unless we go for an Alexander type player. Caldwell, as a central defender is a liability, but as a defensive midfield I think he will do ok. Re Fletcher, the problem is do you waste him in a destructive role or play him a bit further forward.

Also, our national team has been crying out for the likes of Dorrans and Morrison to get into the team and show what they can do. I applaud the fact that they are given a chance, albeit through others not being available. Tonight, we will see if they are up for it.

offshorehibby
08-10-2010, 09:41 AM
You should have heard Chic Young and his little pals on sportsound on Wednesday evening. The greeting between the lot of them because their beloved KM was not playing.
I hope Levins line up dose the business for us and this will shut the 'expert pundits' up

Aldo
08-10-2010, 09:43 AM
TBH Brown has been utter pish and if he wasnt injured i would drop him. I personally like the line up with both Morrison, who turned the Lich game and Dorrans in it.

gonnae put ma neck on the line and say we will miss McCulloch and really think Caldwell might struggle to get to pace.

As for naismith sorry but the boy has an engine in him and has been playing very well for the Huns and deserves his play IMHO.

Say what you want but we dont have a bundle of quality players. Mackie must offer a bit more mobility than Miller who for me has been the most outstanding player in the SPL this season.

Spudster
08-10-2010, 09:54 AM
Career stats on our forwards:
Mackie: games 214 goals 45 (Championship, league 1, conference) goal every 4.75 games
Miller: games 386 goals 129 (SPL, Championship,Prem) goal every 2.99 games
Fletcher: games 195 goals 53 (SPL, Prem) goal every 3.67 games
Iwelumo: games 379 games 95 goals (Scot 1st, Danish superliga, Eng 1st, 2nd 3rd, championship, Prem, 2nd Bundesliga) goal every 3.98 games
Naismith: games 165 goas 40 (SPL) goal every 4.13 games

Not selected:
Boyd: games 305 goals 166 (SPL, Championship) goal every 1.84 games
Riordan: games 224 goals 90 (SPL) goal every 2.48 games

In order of career strike rate:
Boyd
Riordan
Miller
Fletcher
Iwelumo
Naismith
Mackie

Dinkydoo
08-10-2010, 11:46 AM
The thing about Miller is that, no matter what his current form is you know that he'll run his ***** arse off for 90 minutes and give 100%.

We need him in the team IMO and along with him we need another striker on the pitch.

451 isn't going to do us any favours with Kenny up on his own - just like playing with 4 attacking/creative players ( like against Liechtenstine (sp)), isn't going to win us the match either.

Edit: Just seen the confirmed team and have to admit that it's not looking as bad as I suspected. Also, maybe the logic behind putting Caldwell in midfield is that if he makes a blunder it may not result in either a penalty or a 1 on 1 with the keeper (which both usually end up in a goal).

Very intresting indeed.

Exiled Hibby
08-10-2010, 02:18 PM
Levein has either become a tactical genius or he will be proved an absolute idiot. To drop the inform striker in the SPL for an untried (at this level) rookie is contraversial enough, but also to play a guy who hasnt kicked a competitive ball yet this season after hip operations is, at best, incredibly brave, and, at worst, footballing suicide. When my gran had her hips done she couldnt kick a ball for about a year:greengrin

As a staunch Scotland fan, I really hope CL's gambles come off. If not then the weegie press will have him for breakfast, although, in a strange way, I admire him for being his own man here and standing or falling by his own decisions rather than following the majority verdict.

Go Scotland (even if we are parking the bus)

Littlest Hobo
08-10-2010, 03:05 PM
Dropping Miller could be a master stroke.

Bring him on with 25-30 mins to go and let him run.:thumbsup:

Caldwell however :bitchy: So slow he'll probably foul anyone he can get close enough to kick and will probably end up red carded.:grr:

Scotland to lose by a barra load tonight and I have money on it.:wink::greengrin

0-3 prediction:boo hoo:

silverhibee
08-10-2010, 03:17 PM

After the Spain game.

silverhibee
08-10-2010, 03:18 PM

:agree:

seanraff07
08-10-2010, 03:20 PM
Gash is a striker who scores an international goal once in a blue moon. Who runs about like a headless chicken, who's idea of a fantastic run is accross the defender towards the corner, every single time.

Naismith works hard but he has limited quality. I have a couple of hun mates and neither of them has a good word to say about him. As for who could replace him. Shaun Maloney?

Riordan?

And that's my honest opinion, not a biased one.

emmjayfox
08-10-2010, 03:43 PM
I may be wrong,maybe someone can let me know, but i reckon miller has scored 1 goal in 13 games at international level. Shocking stat really IMO of course. :whistle::whistle:

blackpoolhibs
08-10-2010, 03:45 PM
Kenny Miller will run for us all day, and if we are to play 4-5-1 he's the man. Although we now seem to be programmed that this is the way forward???? Well its not for me, and its one of the reasons i see why we are slipping backwards. We even play this way against the dross.:boo hoo:

johnrebus
08-10-2010, 03:56 PM
I think that Potter is already deliberately engineering his own get out as he now knows that he is completely out of his depth.

Any hope Scotland has of qualifying will be out of the window by next week, whatever he does. But his actions over Miller and bringing in a completely untried striker, not to mention the return of Caldwell - who hasn't even played this season - are the actions of a man who wants out, and knows how to fix it.

Hopefully he will be gone by next Wednesday morning.

:taxi

hibbymac
08-10-2010, 04:05 PM
I think that Potter is already deliberately engineering his own get out as he now knows that he is completely out of his depth.

Any hope Scotland has of qualifying will be out of the window by next week, whatever he does. But his actions over Miller and bringing in a completely untried striker, not to mention the return of Caldwell - who hasn't even played this season - are the actions of a man who wants out, and knows how to fix it.

Hopefully he will be gone by next Wednesday morning.

:taxi

.... there is a vacancy for an SPL manager at a club that would welcome him with open arms..... :hmmm: ...... :offski:

Supraninja
08-10-2010, 05:30 PM
4-0 to the only country in the world that doesn't use coins or notes as currency..

Wait... what?

Steve-O
08-10-2010, 05:36 PM
I am bamboozled by all the daylight savings changes here (and in the UK?) recently - what time is this game on at!? Tell me in how many hours/minutes :greengrin

Arch Stanton
08-10-2010, 05:48 PM
Kenny Miller will run for us all day, and if we are to play 4-5-1 he's the man. Although we now seem to be programmed that this is the way forward???? Well its not for me, and its one of the reasons i see why we are slipping backwards. We even play this way against the dross.:boo hoo:

Being programmed? How do you mean? Like watching Spain on the telly?

IWasThere2016
08-10-2010, 06:30 PM
Did I hear right? We're playing a 4-6 formation!

SMAXXA
08-10-2010, 06:34 PM
Did I hear right? We're playing a 4-6 formation!

you sure did :agree:

eye bleeding as ever, like hes told them to go out and hack every player in sight

blackpoolhibs
08-10-2010, 11:15 PM
Being programmed? How do you mean? Like watching Spain on the telly?

We have been programmed now for a number of years to accept we are sheite, and go for damage limitation football, hoping to nick a draw or a 1-0 win. We normally set our stall out to play 1 up front, but tonights formation 4-6 that was the best yet, i wondered before the game who was going to score for us, still wondering now? :faf:

YetholmHibee
08-10-2010, 11:45 PM

:top marks :agree:

hibbyhabit
09-10-2010, 02:20 AM
Being a newbe, i better watch myself !! But i gotta say, the game 2nite was pish !! Hibs r in trouble, Scotland r even futher down the peckin order !!!!

Sprouleflyer
09-10-2010, 07:57 AM

Attacking minded team!!!!!! I could not have been more wrong!!!!

Whittaker at left back? Surely there must be a Scot out there that plays at left back for his team......somewhere?

4-6 formation has to be the most defensive set up ever! What a load of pish watching Scotland.

Guys like Potter are killing the game!

Wotherspiniesta
09-10-2010, 11:14 AM
Being a newbe, i better watch myself !! But i gotta say, the game 2nite was pish !! Hibs r in trouble, Scotland r even futher down the peckin order !!!!

Seeing as a "newbie" maybe your first post shouldnt be saying "Hibs are in trouble".

Be a happy clapper for at least 2 posts! :greengrin

Hibs On Tour
09-10-2010, 06:30 PM
We have been programmed now for a number of years to accept we are sheite, and go for damage limitation football, hoping to nick a draw or a 1-0 win. We normally set our stall out to play 1 up front, but tonights formation 4-6 that was the best yet, i wondered before the game who was going to score for us, still wondering now? :faf:

Agree 100% :agree:

CL surprised even me. I thought he'd went potty when he opted to replace KM who is in the form of his life and a player the rest of the squad know inside out with a player unproven at this level who most of the squad wouldn't even recognise in the street but no he managed to top that with the creation of a hitherto unseen formation - 4 > 6 > 0 - the mans a genius clearly!

Unfortunately however CL clearly has never read the big book of obvious things like 'sitting back against better teams will get you gubbed' and 'playing with no strikers is clearly a stupid thing to do'. What next? Keeper and centre-halves at no more than 5'6"? Have our team face our own goal for the duration of the game? Because either of them makes as much sense as that nonsense we were forced to endure last night.

FFS its not rocket science - if you're playing a technically better team you have to go at them - its the only way to have a chance to even things up cos if you sit back and hope for 0-0 they will tear you apart. Lets not kid ourselves if was 1-0 last night - they had two cleared with goal-line challenges, two cracking saves from AM and one just round the post from Bednar late on. 1 going on 5 more like. Look at NI - had a go at the Italians who are clearly much better and managed to get a 0-0 off the back of that approach. You have to take better teams out of their comfort zone - you're hardly likely to do that turning up terrified and running out in 4-6-0 are you?

Potter clearly has no clue without being able to do his only standard club approach of put a big lump up front and go route 1 to him. Take that option away and he has nothing left.

Complete embarassment and disgraceful for all the fans who had made their way over there at least hoping to see us try to compete. They must be feeling betrayed by CL now!

Holmesdale Hibs
10-10-2010, 06:20 PM
Levein should be pulled in to the SFA and have his arse severely kicked. He should be ashamed of his tactics. Not just because they are anti-football but more importantly because we were never going to get anything from that game. We were lucky it was only 1-0.

I worry about what Spain will do to us on Tuesday. Maybe we'll be the first team to play 10-0-0. I could rant alot longer but everyone on here has summed up Potters failures very well.

This has nothing to do with the fact he's a Jambo or his refusal to pick Riordan. I have never been this embarrassed by a managers tactics and that is a strong statement given I'm a 30 year old Hibs fan. We've been p1ss poor in every game since he took over

Craig_in_Prague
11-10-2010, 07:35 AM
Levein should be pulled in to the SFA and have his arse severely kicked. He should be ashamed of his tactics. Not just because they are anti-football but more importantly because we were never going to get anything from that game. We were lucky it was only 1-0.

I worry about what Spain will do to us on Tuesday. Maybe we'll be the first team to play 10-0-0. I could rant alot longer but everyone on here has summed up Potters failures very well.

This has nothing to do with the fact he's a Jambo or his refusal to pick Riordan. I have never been this embarrassed by a managers tactics and that is a strong statement given I'm a 30 year old Hibs fan. We've been p1ss poor in every game since he took over

Yep,
I thought he'd have us organised, but still dangerous enough going forward.
Something like Scotland under Paw Broon.

But this?
The most embarrassing pile of crap I've seen from my country.
I didn't have a big issue with the players picked, but the set-up was shameful.

Levein; Going down as worse manager ever? Quite possibly :grr:

Exiled Hibby
11-10-2010, 10:02 AM
Levein has either become a tactical genius or he will be proved an absolute idiot. To drop the inform striker in the SPL for an untried (at this level) rookie is contraversial enough, but also to play a guy who hasnt kicked a competitive ball yet this season after hip operations is, at best, incredibly brave, and, at worst, footballing suicide. When my gran had her hips done she couldnt kick a ball for about a year:greengrin

As a staunch Scotland fan, I really hope CL's gambles come off. If not then the weegie press will have him for breakfast, although, in a strange way, I admire him for being his own man here and standing or falling by his own decisions rather than following the majority verdict.

Go Scotland (even if we are parking the bus)
Guess which one CL turned out to be. That was the single worst nights scotland game I have ever witnessed, and I have seen hundreds. I take back what I said about admiring him for being his own man ...................pass the cyanide