PDA

View Full Version : Scotland U21's and Yogi's contribution

hibernator
08-10-2010, 05:38 AM
Scotland U21's lost 1-2 in Iceland Last night, with the return at our own ER, Hanlon and Wotherspoon will play for their national side at home, and if Yogi is there he will be able to look on at possibly 5 players he has brought through wearing the Scotland badge on the night, Scott Arfield and Tam Scobbie along with the Hibs lads are regular starters and Jamie Barclay is amongst the Keepers, how can he be fairly accused of not progressing young players when the country will have so many Yogioids blazing the trail ? it would be very hard to argue he doesn't know what he's doing when it comes to bringing on youngsters successfully, good luck to the laddies on Monday, I think Yogi can feel right proud of that statistic.

dirtydirk
08-10-2010, 06:20 AM
I hate to say it but I dont exactly think those 5 players are the future of scotland, infact I dont believe any of them will ever be capped at full level. Not taking anything anyway from yogi but its not like he has nurtured really hot prospect players. The fact the best one out of them signed for a league one side kind of summarises the quality of them. I think spoony could go places but would take a bit of time.

3pm
08-10-2010, 06:29 AM
Hanlon could be capped. I don't think he has progressed as expected though. Hopefully the new manager can help.

hibernator
08-10-2010, 07:43 PM
I think that Wotherspoon would be the most likely to progress, a few goals for us and he will start to attract the full squad, all good for Yogi's CV though.

18/03/07
08-10-2010, 08:00 PM
Scotland U21's lost 1-2 in Iceland Last night, with the return at our own ER, Hanlon and Wotherspoon will play for their national side at home, and if Yogi is there he will be able to look on at possibly 5 players he has brought through wearing the Scotland badge on the night, Scott Arfield and Tam Scobbie along with the Hibs lads are regular starters and Jamie Barclay is amongst the Keepers, how can he be fairly accused of not progressing young players when the country will have so many Yogioids blazing the trail ? it would be very hard to argue he doesn't know what he's doing when it comes to bringing on youngsters successfully, good luck to the laddies on Monday, I think Yogi can feel right proud of that statistic.
He won't see Arfield as he is suspended for Mondays game

shamo9
08-10-2010, 08:02 PM
Hanlon could be capped. I don't think he has progressed as expected though. Hopefully the new manager can help.

He's not progressed as 'expected' because he's not allowed to play in his proper position. He is not a left back, not now, not ever. When he's allowed to play at centre back he can - and usually - flourishes; case and point the game against Celtic recently.

Future17
09-10-2010, 02:37 AM

Yogi has interrupted the development of Wotherspoon and Hanlon, not progressed it.

I can't say much for the Falkirk lads, but the fact that they are playing 1st division football speaks volumes.

Disco Dave
09-10-2010, 03:00 AM
Yogi has interrupted the development of Wotherspoon and Hanlon, not progressed it.

I can't say much for the Falkirk lads, but the fact that they are playing 1st division football speaks volumes.

Complete bollocks, Wotherspoon owes everything to Yogi having faith in him.

Zondervan
09-10-2010, 03:20 AM
Yogi has done ****all for the development of Hibernian's young players. He has actually hindered it. If you cannot see that then you need to get to Optical Express.

He would rather sign guys like Stack, who wears a silly hat all the time, and then high-five them at every opportunity.

Good riddance.

Future17
09-10-2010, 04:11 AM
Complete bollocks, Wotherspoon owes everything to Yogi having faith in him.

Ha ha! I'll allow you the opportunity to sober up before posting again on this thread.

Why would a promising young midfielder "owe everything" to a manager who played him at full-back? :confused:

hibee4life1983
09-10-2010, 06:37 AM
Stop it eh?!
The guy is a legend but didnt quite have it as manager.

Its history now.

hibee4life1983
09-10-2010, 06:41 AM
And for you hanlon slaters, the guy has played amongest a bunch of duff defenders.

Push the boat out hibs, reap the rewards.

The tache made me write this.

3pm
09-10-2010, 08:17 AM
He's not progressed as 'expected' because he's not allowed to play in his proper position. He is not a left back, not now, not ever. When he's allowed to play at centre back he can - and usually - flourishes; case and point the game against Celtic recently.

That the game where he chased Stokes out into the midfield and left a gap for Brown to run into (who consequently scored)?

Moulin Yarns
09-10-2010, 08:32 AM
FWIW.

Hanlon and Wotherspoon were developed at Hibs before Yogi arrived.

Arfield and Scobbie were the product of Eddie May in Falkirk's youth teams.

I'm not knocking Yogi, but he had nothing to do with the development of any of them. If you want a comparison, The team that won the CIS cup under John Collins was the product of Tony Mowbray. IMHO of course.

BryanV
10-10-2010, 07:58 AM
FWIW.

Hanlon and Wotherspoon were developed at Hibs before Yogi arrived.

Arfield and Scobbie were the product of Eddie May in Falkirk's youth teams.

I'm not knocking Yogi, but he had nothing to do with the development of any of them. If you want a comparison, The team that won the CIS cup under John Collins was the product of Tony Mowbray. IMHO of course.

It is rare that one person can be credited with the development of a young player, the scout, the youth team coach and the manager all play a role. Your comparison doesn't work. You assert that Eddie May was responsible for Arfield and Scobbie through his work with the youth team but Mowbray is credited with the Hibs players, although nearly all had played for the first team before Mowbray arrived. A player still has developing to do after he makes his debut and it is at this stage that the manager takes over.

hibernator
11-10-2010, 12:16 AM
He won't see Arfield as he is suspended for Mondays game

yup seen that in the paper as well, he will be a miss but there will be somebody ready to step in.

hibernator
11-10-2010, 12:34 AM

Load of teams give youngsters a game as cover and when they do well they get the chance to do it again, these two have done pretty well with some solid performances who ever they were up against and they have both struggled once or twice but never the side down, they are better to be adaptable than only play one position surely !

Falkirk have been relegated but they all had a few seasons in the SPL and gave us a few frights along the way, they might or might not join Barr as full caps

hibernator
11-10-2010, 12:45 AM
It is rare that one person can be credited with the development of a young player, the scout, the youth team coach and the manager all play a role. Your comparison doesn't work. You assert that Eddie May was responsible for Arfield and Scobbie through his work with the youth team but Mowbray is credited with the Hibs players, although nearly all had played for the first team before Mowbray arrived. A player still has developing to do after he makes his debut and it is at this stage that the manager takes over.

Manager have to make a call on whether the player is up to the physical and more importantly nowadays, the mental side of playing for a professional football team, the support forget pretty quickly that they are teenagers, Miller, O'Conner, Whittaker and Fletcher all seemed to have critics for no other reason than inexperience, they are all now full caps.