PDA

View Full Version : Hibernian in the days of the famous five book

King Paddy
07-10-2010, 08:05 PM
Reading this book takes me back to a time when we were a well run club under the ownership of the late Harry Swan, who had the foresight to take the club to new hights. for example floodlighting, we were the first to install as one of the big clubs at that in Scotland. No stone was unturned with Swan at the helm, i just wonder what he would make of our current position in scottish football?.

I know times have changed etc, but you have to ask the question why did we not continue to challange for the old firm beyound the period of the famous five?. It's frustrating that we don't have an individual like a Harry Swan today.:confused:

superfurryhibby
08-10-2010, 11:44 AM
Not read the book yet but it will purchased soon as a present for someone (hide yer eyes sis).

I guess that some of the reasons that we didn't sustain a challenge to the Old Firm beyond the early fifties was that we sold players (Bobby Johnstone & Tommy Younger) and lost Lawrie Reilly prematurely through injury, released Gordon Smith when he still had a lot more to give (as his two championship medals with H****s and Dundee demonstrated) and ultimately couldn't pay wages that rivalled those of our competitors..

The late fifties saw the removal of the minimum wage from football and this ability to pay more would have advantaged the Old Firm, as it does now? Joe Baker went from less than a tenner a week at Hibs to nearer a hundred when he went to Torino at the end of the decade.

Andy74
08-10-2010, 12:13 PM
Reading this book takes me back to a time when we were a well run club under the ownership of the late Harry Swan, who had the foresight to take the club to new hights. for example floodlighting, we were the first to install as one of the big clubs at that in Scotland. No stone was unturned with Swan at the helm, i just wonder what he would make of our current position in scottish football?.

I know times have changed etc, but you have to ask the question why did we not continue to challange for the old firm beyound the period of the famous five?. It's frustrating that we don't have an individual like a Harry Swan today.:confused:

Nothing to do with not having an idividual like that. you say yourself, times have changed, football has changed and the finance that goes with it has definitely changed.

If you llok at where we were just a short number of years ago though you can argue that he'd be impressed with what he'd see a the training centre and stadium.

Next step is the results but we will never again, unless something changes dramtically, be a match for the Old Firm.

Jamesie
08-10-2010, 01:00 PM
No doubt someone will be on shortly to criticise Mr Swan for his alleged anti-Irishness...