PDA

View Full Version : Hibs on Twitter and Facebook?

3pm
07-10-2010, 12:29 PM
I don't really know what they do so you'll need to excuse my ignorance.

Do Hibs 'use' them? Could they use them and how would they do this? Is the official webiste enough?

Just curious, as I say I have limited knowledge on such matters so just wonder if we are missing a trick here?!

SlickShoes
07-10-2010, 12:31 PM
They are missing a trick - twitter news updates daily would be good, as would match updates. Hibs.net do some match updates but they are sporadic at best.

facebook - dont see why they shouldnt get a page and have fans, anything that gets the club out there is surely good?

Future17
07-10-2010, 12:36 PM
I'd imagine it's a outlay versus gain equation.

I'm guessing someone would have to be employed to moderate the posts made on these sites in some way which would require a salary to be paid.

On the flip side, what does the club get out of it? From my understanding, you can't choose your own adverts to display on Facebook/Twitter so no marketing revenue.

Having said that, I think Aberdeen might be thinking about setting up their own Facebook page::greengrin

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-11492047

Beefster
07-10-2010, 03:11 PM
I'd imagine it's a outlay versus gain equation.

I'm guessing someone would have to be employed to moderate the posts made on these sites in some way which would require a salary to be paid.

On the flip side, what does the club get out of it? From my understanding, you can't choose your own adverts to display on Facebook/Twitter so no marketing revenue.

I would think that they could give the task of updating Facebook and Twitter to a current employee. It would take about 15-20 minutes a day.

As for what the club would get out of it - I think it opens up instant methods of communication with customers (especially the young fans who will be paying cash to the club for the next 50+ years). You're likely to be right though, the extra cost (if any) is probably more important to Hibs than a new form of communicating with existing and potential customers.

joe breezy
07-10-2010, 03:21 PM
There should be no real outlay as if Hibs have a marketing / PR person then this should be part of their remit.

It's a piece of piss - I work on social media at my work

Future17
07-10-2010, 04:22 PM
I would think that they couldn't give the task of updating Facebook and Twitter to a current employee. It would take about 15-20 minutes a day.

I'm not on Facebook or Twitter, so I'm totally guessing here and could be wrong (it's happened before), but is there not the option for fans (or others) to post comments on "status" remarks or updates and, if so, would these comments from third parties not require to be moderated so as not to reflect badly on the club?

cheltenhamhibee
07-10-2010, 04:47 PM
i joined one on facebook, there was some good banter on it for a while, but no longer there now, a certain ex poster off here is an admin on it now, subsequently there's so much crap on there about sunderland !!!

dp00
07-10-2010, 04:50 PM
you can set up both facebook and twitter so no comments can be made on an update.... it would cost them nothing, the PR/Marketing team could do it from there fones on match day

Twiglet
07-10-2010, 05:29 PM
I don't really know what they do so you'll need to excuse my ignorance.

Do Hibs 'use' them? Could they use them and how would they do this? Is the official webiste enough?

Just curious, as I say I have limited knowledge on such matters so just wonder if we are missing a trick here?!

This was discussed at the fans forum earlier this year. Hibs have looked into facebook (think they had looked at Twitter too). The thing is they would need someone to monitor it on a full-time basis. IIRC they said Liverpool employ 2 people to look after their page.
You've got to remember anyone can join Facebook and can you imagine the abuse that would appear on it from rival fans that would be beyond banter?
For these reasons it would discounted.

If i can find the thread about the fan forums i'll put the comments on here. Mikey was there that night and made a load of notes that he put he up here.

emmjayfox
07-10-2010, 05:35 PM
just think, we could get the insults straight to the players. could even stop going to the games and just e boo.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Phil D. Rolls
07-10-2010, 05:39 PM
Would a facebook page not be a sort of rival to Hibs.net?

Gus Fring
07-10-2010, 05:45 PM
I'd do it for the club for nothing if they gave me free entry into games.

Twiglet
07-10-2010, 05:48 PM
Found it.

"Facebook - Something the club is considering but it has to be monitored at all times. As an example, Liverpool have 2 full time employees monitoring theirs. That's clearly not something that Hibs can fund."

Barney McGrew
07-10-2010, 06:06 PM
This was discussed at the fans forum earlier this year. Hibs have looked into facebook (think they had looked at Twitter too). The thing is they would need someone to monitor it on a full-time basis. IIRC they said Liverpool employ 2 people to look after their page.
You've got to remember anyone can join Facebook and can you imagine the abuse that would appear on it from rival fans that would be beyond banter?
For these reasons it would discounted

:agree:

That's exactly what was explained as the reason for not doing it.

Hibs90
07-10-2010, 06:22 PM
Other SPL teams have one.

The_Todd
07-10-2010, 06:28 PM
Edinburgh Capitals Ice Hockey use both twitter and facebook, and I think it's a brilliant way of keeping in touch.

I also believe Hearts use Facebook, and so do many large companies. It's something Hibs should look at.

The_Todd
07-10-2010, 06:32 PM
For these reasons it would discounted.

If i can find the thread about the fan forums i'll put the comments on here. Mikey was there that night and made a load of notes that he put he up here.

If Hearts can manage it I'm sure Hibs can. And I'm sure Hearts don't have 2 full time employees looking after their Facebook page.

And come on, the Edinburgh Capitals who have no fulltime employees at all in any department can do it.

Davy Mac
07-10-2010, 06:34 PM
Found it.

"Facebook - Something the club is considering but it has to be monitored at all times. As an example, Liverpool have 2 full time employees monitoring theirs. That's clearly not something that Hibs can fund."

Wow, a £10m turnover business that can't afford a couple of employees to engage the fans with our club more productively?

Aye, PR is not our strong point that's for sure.

TheEastTerrace
07-10-2010, 07:00 PM
If Hibs don't embrace social media then they are missing out on huge marketing and communications opportunities. The best examples out there at the moment are Man City and Liverpool. Agreed, it does take time and human resource, but this is how fans are interacting, communicating, consuming, and engaging with sport far more regularly. It can also help build communities, encourage two way dialogue and communication between the fans and the club, and build/manage relationships. It allows us to see what the club does off the pitch for the other six days of the week. For the club, if managed properly, it's a powerful insight into the attitudes/values/needs/wants of the supporters. It can also be a way of responding directly to fan concerns. Yes, there are one or two that go OTT but they can be marginalized by the rest who want to interact.

I did speak to Fife about it at the supporter forums, and he outlined much of what has been posted earlier on the thread. I just think they need to think about it.

HibeeMG
07-10-2010, 07:34 PM
i joined one on facebook, there was some good banter on it for a while, but no longer there now, a certain ex poster off here is an admin on it now, subsequently there's so much crap on there about sunderland !!!

Yep, I was on that too.

It got ridiculous. No proper banter or discussion. Then it all turned Sunderland!

Somebody should've given the admin a slap! ;)