PDA

View Full Version : Just bumped into Yogi...

Disco Dave
06-10-2010, 06:38 PM
ABSOLUTE LEGEND!!

Went well up in my estimations, couldn't believe it, never had a bad word to say about the club and was so open and candid about what actually went on at the club.

Pissed of about the media and the stats, says no matter how it went 4th spot and Europe for the first time in 5 years has to be a success, he felt the media took the stats which suited their mischievous ways, no doubt an anorak will come back with all the stats, the bottom line is good, bad or indifferent we got fourth spot and made Europe, something the Yams never did :agree:

blackpoolhibs
06-10-2010, 06:42 PM
ABSOLUTE LEGEND!!

Went well up in my estimations, couldn't believe it, never had a bad word to say about the club and was so open and candid about what actually went on at the club.

Pissed of about the media and the stats, says no matter how it went 4th spot and Europe for the first time in 5 years has to be a success, he felt the media took the stats which suited their mischievous ways, no doubt an anorak will come back with all the stats, the bottom line is good, bad or indifferent we got fourth spot and made Europe, something the Yams never did :agree:

I thought it was a good achievement, especially in his first season.:agree: Although i do have to say his/the clubs decision to leave was probably right in the end.

Phil D. Rolls
06-10-2010, 06:43 PM
ABSOLUTE LEGEND!!

He would say that wouldn't he?

poolman
06-10-2010, 06:45 PM

And why not

Or are you calling him a liar

Phil D. Rolls
06-10-2010, 06:47 PM
And why not

Or are you calling him a liar

What???? :confused:

Riordans Boots
06-10-2010, 06:47 PM

:rolleyes:

Albion Hibs
06-10-2010, 06:48 PM

Do you not think 4th is a reasonable achievement?

Totally agree with Yogi, the board are almost as much of a joke as our booing section.

Glad to see that he is not saying anything negative about the club, albeit I would not expect to when speaking to a fan - certainly would not blame him for having a few colourful things to say behind closed doors!

Houchy
06-10-2010, 06:48 PM
ABSOLUTE LEGEND!!

He is a top bloke, but yes, while finishing 4th (over the course of the season) was a great achievement, any one of us could have managed to get the results that he did since March (actually, I take that back as i'd fancy my chances of getting at least 5 wins over his 4 in the games he had).:agree:

I also feel that despite getting 4th place, it had a lot to do with Dundee United having at least 1 eye on the Scottish cup final.:agree:

I do feel sorry for him as he has been sacked from his ultimate job and I loved his enthusiasm when he went bounding into press conferences like an excited puppy but he just never had it.

poolman
06-10-2010, 06:49 PM
What???? :confused:

Well your post suggested he wouldn't say anything else

.Sean.
06-10-2010, 06:50 PM
:yawn:

Yogi's away, you got what you wanted. Give it a break, eh?

BEEJ
06-10-2010, 06:51 PM
ABSOLUTE LEGEND!!

That's the slant that he's bound to put on it. Stats are there to be interpreted and presented according to the argument you wish to make.

The fact is that the reality of what we were witnessing on the field gave credence to the more serious implications of the figures, namely that we were on a slide and the Manager was apparently incapable of making the necessary changes.

Good luck to Yogi, though. He'll always have that indomitable spirit about him which will stand him in good stead wherever he ends up next.

Disco Dave
06-10-2010, 06:51 PM

Well it is facts, 4th spot and Europe is a success, spoke about his aspirations to get straight back into football and hopefully gets something down south. Talked about Saturdays frustrations and I had a go at him about the lack of changes, and he made the point that he did change it about but he had no fire power on the bench, fair enough he had Trakys but he is a target man and it would be a like for like change with Nish.

Phil D. Rolls
06-10-2010, 06:52 PM
Well your post suggested he wouldn't say anything else

It's a common thing for people to interpret situations in the way that puts them in the best light.

It wasn't the media that got Yogi the sack, it was the fact that the fans, and then the board had seen enough. If Yogi got himself into the position where the media could twist what he was saying, more fool him.

If we had let Yogi keep going after the horrendous run of results over the last ten months. More fool us.

Nowhere did I say he was a liar. I think you probably knew that though.

(Please don't feel you have to answer. You didn't the last time when we were discussing Jimmy O'Rourke's knowledge of the modern game.)

Keith_M
06-10-2010, 06:53 PM
Just bumped into Yogi...

Boy that must have hurt!

:greengrin

Hibs90
06-10-2010, 06:54 PM
Well it is facts, 4th spot and Europe is a success, spoke about his aspirations to get straight back into football and hopefully gets something down south. Talked about Saturdays frustrations and I had a go at him about the lack of changes, and he made the point that he did change it about but he had no fire power on the bench, fair enough he had Trakys but he is a target man and it would be a like for like change with Nish.

Facts also say we haven't won at home since March, and its something like 4 wins in 33 games.

Keith_M
06-10-2010, 06:56 PM
Facts also say we haven't won at home since March, and its something like 4 wins in 33 games.

I think it's 28, but near enough as bad.

Disco Dave
06-10-2010, 06:56 PM
It must be a real shock to Yogi.He got his dream job.. Which was a big job with a big club. He was king of his castle for a while.It went pear shaped and his dream was shattered.He'll be going over and over it in his own mind and it'll take him a long time to rationalise the whole thing.I genuinely feel for him but for whatever reasons it just wasn't happening .....

I don't think he will be going over and over it in his head he was in great spirits, he was with his two twin daughters who were pissing me off because we were deep in conversation and they were distracting him :greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
06-10-2010, 06:57 PM
:yawn:

Yogi's away, you got what you wanted. Give it a break, eh?

I didn't start the thread. But, I take your point - Yogi got the sack because it was everyone else's fault.

Yes, and this debate will probably split the fans for years. Did he get lucky at the start or unlucky at the finish? Most feel at the moment, Yogi didn't have it, and he came across as a bit of a buffoon.

If he goes elsewhere and builds a right good team then we'll be the ones looking like buffoons.

Disco Dave
06-10-2010, 06:57 PM

If 4 wins in 33 games gets you 4th spot and Europe I would take that every year :agree:

Hibs90
06-10-2010, 06:58 PM
If 4 wins in 33 games gets you 4th spot and Europe I would take that every year :agree:

Sorry it wasn't accurate enough, but my point still stands...

steakbake
06-10-2010, 06:59 PM

:confused:

Hank Schrader
06-10-2010, 07:02 PM

It wouldn't! :greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
06-10-2010, 07:04 PM

So would I, I definitely would likes. :agree:

:faf: I do hope no-one from across the road is looking in, as that is one of the daftest statements I have seen on t'internet. Almost on a par with the famous "anyone who can steer a sub through the Baltic......"

poolman
06-10-2010, 07:05 PM
It's a common thing for people to interpret situations in the way that puts them in the best light.

It wasn't the media that got Yogi the sack, it was the fact that the fans, and then the board had seen enough. If Yogi got himself into the position where the media could twist what he was saying, more fool him.

If we had let Yogi keep going after the horrendous run of results over the last ten months. More fool us.

Nowhere did I say he was a liar. I think you probably knew that though.

Well I take it from the OP that he never said the media got him the sack

I'm sure he got pissed off every day reading about the OTT reporting about Hibs record over recent months, i'm not saying that they should not have commented on it but it was like when a Hibs article in the papers it always included "Hibs, who have not won a home game since blah blah blah" well we ****in knew it and I didny want to read or hear it every time a second rate journo typed or said this with much glee

Having said that I think Yogis job became untenable especially with the fans recent reactions

Disco Dave
06-10-2010, 07:06 PM
It'll be a front. Imagine if it were you? I know I'd be stewing over it for ever.His missus and the twins used to come to the OT a lot in around 2003/4/5??? The twins were in push chairs then so they'll be a handful now :greengrin

Funnily enough thats where I met him.

Phil D. Rolls
06-10-2010, 07:07 PM

I'm sure he got pissed off every day reading about the OTT reporting about Hibs record over recent months, i'm not saying that they should not have commented on it but it was like when a Hibs article in the papers it always included "Hibs, who have not won a home game since blah blah blah" well we ****in knew it and I didny want to read or hear it every time a second rate journo typed or said this with much glee

Having said that I think Yogis job became untenable especially with the fans recent reactions

Fair play, but as I say, I don't think the meeja were really to blame. It's funny though, for someone who now hates the press so much, he was their best mate for long enough. Like all self publicists, it could be that Yogi only likes the papers when they are saying nice things about him.

down the slope
06-10-2010, 07:07 PM
Hughes made much of the fact that the stats from last season were carried over in to this but i bet he would have been shouting from the rooftops if we were unbeaten since march.

Disco Dave
06-10-2010, 07:13 PM
Another interesting point he made was the fact that there were 16-20 players out of contract at the end of the season, which he orchestrated because some of the players just weren't good enough for Hibs. Gives the new manager a great opportunity.

greenlex
06-10-2010, 07:24 PM
Another interesting point he made was the fact that there were 16-20 players out of contract at the end of the season, which he orchestrated because some of the players just weren't good enough for Hibs. Gives the new manager a great opportunity.

I commented the other day on another thread this very position. It's possibly the single best thing he has done for Hibs in his short tenure.

greenlex
06-10-2010, 07:29 PM
She used to say she'd definitely by one of the paintings one day... Still hasn't :boo hoo:

FFS give her a chance it's only been 16 mins.:)

Iain G
06-10-2010, 07:40 PM

Totally agree with Yogi, the board are almost as much of a joke as our booing section.

Glad to see that he is not saying anything negative about the club, albeit I would not expect to when speaking to a fan - certainly would not blame him for having a few colourful things to say behind closed doors!

Oh yawn, yawn, yawn, yawn...this is getting boring...

Albion Hibs
06-10-2010, 07:45 PM

Cant be that boring or you would not have read it, more to the point would not have bothered replying. Think about it.

Jonnyboy
06-10-2010, 07:47 PM

:troll:

Kevvy1875
06-10-2010, 07:50 PM

:agree:

Phil D. Rolls
06-10-2010, 07:54 PM

I hope we're allowed to keep it though, it would make a lovely pet. I've got a little jacket for it, in the style of a blazer and some lovely yellow shoes that look just like driving gloves.

What do you feed them on, do they have special shops, or is there a dedicated aisle at the supermarket.

Also, do you need a licence?

silverhibee
06-10-2010, 08:13 PM
I commented the other day on another thread this very position.
It's possibly the single best thing he has done for Hibs in his short tenure.

I doubt Yogi had anything to do with these players being out of contract, more Mr Petrie.

Disco Dave
06-10-2010, 08:16 PM
I commented the other day on another thread this very position.
It's possibly the single best thing he has done for Hibs in his short tenure.

Yep, and he also said he made the club £4.5 million, he was on his 6th bud by that time and the kids were starting to carry him home :greengrin

Disco Dave
06-10-2010, 08:22 PM
I doubt Yogi had anything to do with these players being out of contract, more Mr Petrie.

I think he did, think about all the players he had to get rid off when he first came in, like your O'Briens, Keenan's, JJ's, Van Zantens? And who else?

silverhibee
06-10-2010, 08:26 PM
FFS give her a chance it's only been 16 mins.:)

:tee hee:

Just for you lex. :greengrin

silverhibee
06-10-2010, 08:30 PM
I think he did, think about all the players he had to get rid off when he first came in, like your O'Briens, Keenan's, JJ's, Van Zantens? And who else?

What end of season are wee talking about here, i thought you were on about this end of season. :confused:

Disco Dave
06-10-2010, 08:38 PM
What end of season are wee talking about here, i thought you were on about this end of season. :confused:

Just making the point that that's what he had to get rid of since he came in. I've mentioned 4, is there any more?

silverhibee
06-10-2010, 08:53 PM
Just making the point that that's what he had to get rid of since he came in. I've mentioned 4, is there any more?

You said,, it gives the new manager a great opportunity, meaning you were talking about the players out of contract at the end of this season, yes/no.

Disco Dave
06-10-2010, 08:59 PM
You said,, it gives the new manager a great opportunity, meaning you were talking about the players out of contract at the end of this season, yes/no.

Yes thats what I meant but Yogi also mentioned the players he had to get rid of before he came to the club, I can only remember 4, who were the others?

IWasThere2016
06-10-2010, 09:12 PM
Love this - he says too much made of stats then says first time in Europe in 5 years. Yes that's a fact as is the WORST home form EVER! Or was that a convenient stat? :faf:

Disco Dave
06-10-2010, 09:20 PM
Love this - he says too much made of stats then says first time in Europe in 5 years. Yes that's a fact as is the WORST home form EVER! Or was that a convenient stat? :faf:

Good point, totally agree with you, but all the points made here are correct, but I don't get where he gets he made the club £4.5 million from :hmmm:

stantonhibby
06-10-2010, 09:25 PM

did he not sign a lot of these players though ? is he now now saying they are not good enough ?
the others who are out of contract would be the players signed and contracted before he got there so he can hardly take credit for that ?

Disco Dave
06-10-2010, 09:28 PM
did he not sign a lot of these players though ? is he now now saying they are not good enough ?
the others who are out of contract would be the players signed and contracted before he got there so he can hardly take credit for that ?

How do you know he wasn't going to keep the players he signed?

silverhibee
06-10-2010, 09:34 PM
Yes thats what I meant but Yogi also mentioned the players he had to get rid of before he came to the club, I can only remember 4, who were the others?

Dont know who the others were.

But here is some of the players who are out of contract at the end of this season and Yogi did not orchestrate how and when there contracts ended.

Bamba
Galbraith
Hogg
Nish
Rankin
Riordan
Zemmama.

The others are.

Dickoh
Duffy
McBride
Miller
Smith
Stack
Trakys.

A bit of a coincedence that these players that Yogi brought in are out of contract at the end of the season as the same players as above.

If you ask me, this is all Mr Petries doing, for what reason i dont know why all these players are out of contract at the same time, only Mr Petrie knows that answer.

It wouldn't surprise me if all these players are emptied from the club at the end of the season, some will leave in the January window as well for small fee's, a couple may even leave before that, or will be allowed to talk to clubs before the January window opens. :wink:

Tricla
06-10-2010, 09:38 PM
That's the slant that he's bound to put on it. Stats are there to be interpreted and presented according to the argument you wish to make.

The fact is that the reality of what we were witnessing on the field gave credence to the more serious implications of the figures, namely that we were on a slide and the Manager was apparently incapable of making the necessary changes.

Good luck to Yogi, though. He'll always have that indomitable spirit about him which will stand him in good stead wherever he ends up next.

We finished 4th and made Europe. How else do you interperate that? :confused:

stantonhibby
06-10-2010, 09:38 PM
Dont know who the others were.

But here is some of the players who are out of contract at the end of this season and Yogi did not orchestrate how and when there contracts ended.

Bamba
Galbraith
Hogg
Nish
Rankin
Riordan
Zemmama.

The others are.

Dickoh
Duffy
McBride
Miller
Smith
Stack
Trakys.

A bit of a coincedence that these players that Yogi brought in are out of contract at the end of the season as the same players as above.

If you ask me, this is all Mr Petries doing, for what reason i dont know why all these players are out of contract at the same time, only Mr Petrie knows that answer.

It wouldn't surprise me if all these players are emptied from the club at the end of the season, some will leave in the January window as well for small fee's, a couple may even leave before that, or will be allowed to talk to clubs before the January window opens. :wink:

thanks - i think that was the point i was trying to make !

Hibbyradge
06-10-2010, 09:40 PM
If you ask me, this is all Mr Petries doing,

If you ask me, it was all yogi's doing.

Littlest Hobo
06-10-2010, 09:54 PM

:top marks

Some of the performances and antics by some of of our better so called players have been stinking.

Yes tha Managr takes the wrap but we still have the same muppets on the park.:grr:

silverhibee
06-10-2010, 09:54 PM
If you ask me, it was all yogi's doing.

I disagree, if it was all Yogi's doing, how did he manage to orchestrate them being out of contract if he didn't sign the first set of players i mentioned.

BEEJ
06-10-2010, 09:56 PM
We finished 4th and made Europe. How else do you interperate that? :confused:
Hells bells.....

... we've won just 4 matches in 28 and have the worst home form in the history of the club.

How else do you interpret that?

Are you getting my point now? :wink:

Disco Dave
06-10-2010, 09:58 PM
I disagree, if it was all Yogi's doing, how did he manage to orchestrate them being out of contract if he didn't sign the first set of players i mentioned.

Simple, by letting their contracts run out :grr:

silverhibee
06-10-2010, 10:32 PM
Simple, by letting their contracts run out :grr:

So all these players will leave at the end of the season i have mentioned, according to Yogi. Even the one,s he signed.

lEXO
06-10-2010, 10:35 PM

You know what?4th is a great acheivement, no doubt.If we had a dip earlier last season and came back storming to take 4th, started this season reasonably well, and had a dip in forn i could see your argument.But we have done neither.C,mon tae FFS.Stop being the Yam ostrich boy and take your Yogi blinkers off and look at the facts.We are pish and the buck stops with the manager.No tactics, no pace, no width no good.Give it a rest

Iain G
07-10-2010, 12:38 AM
Cant be that boring or you would not have read it, more to the point would not have bothered replying. Think about it.

Well I tried to not bother replying, but obviously my mental strength to project my general thoughts of boredom halfway round the globe wern't up to it today, so I resorted to typing it out instead, old fashioned I know, but hey it works :greengrin

Hibbyradge
07-10-2010, 06:15 AM

Sorry, I don't understand your question.

However, Yogi is quoted as saying it was his decision.

Why would he say that if it wasn't true? :confused:

BSEJVT
07-10-2010, 07:00 AM

By telling the board he didnt want some or all of their existing contracts extended?

Green_one
07-10-2010, 07:08 AM
So all these players will leave at the end of the season i have mentioned, according to Yogi. Even the one,s he signed.

I agree with you. Yogi is trying to put a spin on something that was largely not influenced by him, apart from the fact the Board have not been supporting him lately.

I doubt anyone here would want Riordan and Zemmama to not sign an extension. So what was his big plan there?

He was getting little change out of Petrie in the last few months. Evidenced by some loans being just until the end of the year. I do not dispute though that having the possibilty of clearing out a lot of those players would be attractive to a new man. Something the players should think about when they line up against Killie.

Booked4Being-Ugly
07-10-2010, 07:52 AM
I can't believe people think that having so many players out of contract is a good idea.

I realize it's an opportunity to get rid of some of the deadwood but how is a new manager expected to motivate a team that can walk at the end of the season?

I doubt most of the current team would be that concerned about our current league position when they've effectively been told they're not good enough.

Steve-O
07-10-2010, 07:58 AM

Really?? I wouldn't.

Watching the team win 4 times in 33 games is not my idea of fun or entertainment, regardless of the outcome, which in this case was to be pumped out of Europe before the season started.

I'm not sure I even care about us qualifying for Europe again until we have a team capable of not being embarrassed when we get there.

bawheid
07-10-2010, 08:07 AM

Good to see we're still kicking the guy when he's down.

I feel sorry for the OP. He posted a positive thread on what was clearly a good chat with the former Hibernian captain and manager, only to watch it jumped up and down on by the haterz.

Phil D. Rolls
07-10-2010, 08:22 AM

I feel sorry for the OP. He posted a positive thread on what was clearly a good chat with the former Hibernian captain and manager, only to watch it jumped up and down on by the haterz.

Grow up.

MB62
07-10-2010, 08:27 AM

According to either the BBC or STV sport report on Monday night (I can't remember which one) the reporter said Yogi went in to see Rod and offered his resignation, which Rod accepted. Now I don't know if this is true or not but it suggests to me Yogi felt he either had to be backed publicly or sacked, Rod chose the latter.

I
'm sure he got pissed off every day reading about the OTT reporting about Hibs record over recent months, i'm not saying that they should not have commented on it but it was like when a Hibs article in the papers it always included "Hibs, who have not won a home game since blah blah blah" well we ****in knew it and I didny want to read or hear it every time a second rate journo typed or said this with much glee

I think we all got p155ed off reading that, but the facts of the matter were there. All it needed was for Hibs to win a couple of games to change that but we couldn't.
BTW, if he/we were p155ed off at that, it will not be long now before we get the annual 'Hibs, who have not won the Scottish cup for 18 squillion years' will play....' as though nobody on the planet is unaware of this fact :yawn:

bawheid
07-10-2010, 08:35 AM
Grow up.

In my view, for some people, slagging off Hibernian has become habit. They can't wait for the next thing to bump their gums about.

silverhibee
07-10-2010, 08:38 AM

Give it a rest bawheid, its becoming boring now with your bully boy tactics.

smurf
07-10-2010, 08:48 AM
I can't believe people think that having so many players out of contract is a good idea.

I realize it's an opportunity to get rid of some of the deadwood but how is a new manager expected to motivate a team that can walk at the end of the season?

I doubt most of the current team would be that concerned about our current league position when they've effectively been told they're not good enough.

So true. And its why i'm very worried at where we are in the SPL today.

We need to get to safety ASAP hopefully as i wouldn't trust this shower of half hearted so and so's in a battle.

hibhib7
07-10-2010, 08:49 AM
Well it is facts, 4th spot and Europe is a success, spoke about his aspirations to get straight back into football and hopefully gets something down south. Talked about Saturdays frustrations and I had a go at him about the lack of changes, and he made the point that he did change it about but he had no fire power on the bench, fair enough he had Trakys but he is a target man and it would be a like for like change with Nish.And who was responsible for picking the bench?

bawheid
07-10-2010, 08:53 AM
Give it a rest bawheid, its becoming boring now with your bully boy tactics.

:hilarious

I beg your pardon?

blackpoolhibs
07-10-2010, 09:34 AM
I didn't start the thread. But, I take your point - Yogi got the sack because it was everyone else's fault.

No yogi got the sack for not getting results. Although to dismiss his achievement of 4th in his first season is stupid. He tried, in the end failed, we move on.

HFC 0-7
07-10-2010, 10:09 AM
No yogi got the sack for not getting results. Although to dismiss his achievement of 4th in his first season is stupid. He tried, in the end failed, we move on.

I wouldnt dismiss that achievement. In fact I would include it when giving an overall picture of Yogis failings. The early part of Yogi's first season showed what we could do and that part basically got us 4th. The most worrying part IMO was the collapse of form and the inabaility to get us anywhere near that again.

Managers at whatever team in whatever league go through a sticky patch, its their ability to get through that and turn it around again. Yogi showed that he was unable to do that.

IMO Yogi will come good eventually but he needs to learn a lot first. He was hard headed in that he wouldnt change a system for along spells, by the time he did realise that the system wouldnt work and change it, it was too late. fans had lost confidence and from what I can see, several players had too.

IMO, his passion for hibs was his ultimate problem. He was blinded by it and sometimes couldnt step back and see the bigger picture.

Yogi is a good guy, but I think he is clutching at straws when moaning about the press. Thats what the press do, they pick up on the worst stats available as it makes a better story, but this isnt anything new. Every club gets it, IMO, he fuelled it even more by not acknowledging the bad stats.

TornadoHibby
07-10-2010, 10:34 AM
I wouldnt dismiss that achievement. In fact I would include it when giving an overall picture of Yogis failings. The early part of Yogi's first season showed what we could do and that part basically got us 4th. The most worrying part IMO was the collapse of form and the inabaility to get us anywhere near that again.

Managers at whatever team in whatever league go through a sticky patch, its their ability to get through that and turn it around again. Yogi showed that he was unable to do that.

IMO Yogi will come good eventually but he needs to learn a lot first. He was hard headed in that he wouldnt change a system for along spells, by the time he did realise that the system wouldnt work and change it, it was too late. fans had lost confidence and from what I can see, several players had too.

IMO, his passion for hibs was his ultimate problem. He was blinded by it and sometimes couldnt step back and see the bigger picture.

Yogi is a good guy, but I think he is clutching at straws when moaning about the press. Thats what the press do, they pick up on the worst stats available as it makes a better story, but this isnt anything new. Every club gets it, IMO, he fuelled it even more by acknowledging the bad stats.

:top marks

Can't find much to disagree with there! :agree:

MB62
07-10-2010, 10:41 AM
I wouldnt dismiss that achievement. In fact I would include it when giving an overall picture of Yogis failings. The early part of Yogi's first season showed what we could do and that part basically got us 4th. The most worrying part IMO was the collapse of form and the inability to get us anywhere near that again.

This is where I have to disagree on our early season form of last season as basically, I thought we were struggling but were getting results.

We scored a last minute winner against St. Mirren, we beat St. Johnstone 3-0 but who were a far better side than us that day, we scored 2 late goals against 9 man Aberdeen and in general Hibs, IMO, were getting results despite not playing well.

I know it's more negativity but it is just the way I saw it. I had hoped at the time that if we have achieved these results by not playing well and it's still early in the managers career here, maybe once his influence really takes affect and we find some form, we could sail away clear in 3rd place and have a good cup run.
However, the luck that we carried in the first part of the season deserted us and I feel other teams sussed us out and how to play against us, and we didn't change.
I remember most on here last season screaming to change our system because week after week were being over run in midfield as we stuck with 3 up front.
As has already been pointed out by others on here, after the start we made, we scraped 4th by beating a barely interested under strength Dundee Utd side when really we should have had 3rd sewn up long before that point.

This is not meant to be a dash at Yogi, merely a summing up of how I saw last season unfold.

archiebald
07-10-2010, 10:54 AM
Yes but it should have been 2nd but for a collapse.:agree:

ahibby
07-10-2010, 10:57 AM
It's not unusual for a team to drop off from January or February but still hold on to 3rd or 4th. I think McLeish's side may have done something similar but for any quality to disappear completely and the apathy to rear it's ugly head in such a fashion is unique in my time watching them. Yogi had too many failings, lack of substitutions, tactics, lack of control and so on.

HFC 0-7
07-10-2010, 10:58 AM
This is where I have to disagree on our early season form of last season as basically, I thought we were struggling but were getting results.

We scored a last minute winner against St. Mirren, we beat St. Johnstone 3-0 but who were a far better side than us that day, we scored 2 late goals against 9 man Aberdeen and in general Hibs, IMO, were getting results despite playing well.

I know it's more negativity but it is just the way I saw it. I had hoped at the time that if we have achieved these results by not playing well and it's still early in the managers career here, maybe once his influence really takes affect and we find some form, we could sail away clear in 3rd place and have a good cup run.
However, the luck that we carried in the first part of the season deserted us and I feel other teams sussed us out and how to play against us, and we didn't change.
I remember most on here last season screaming to change our system because week after week were being over run in midfield as we stuck with 3 up front.
As has already been pointed out by others on here, after the start we made, we scraped 4th by beating a barely interested under strength Dundee Utd side when really we should have had 3rd sewn up long before that point.

This is not meant to be a dash at Yogi, merely a summing up of how I saw last season unfold.

I agree that perhaps the performances werent brilliant they were definately better than the tail end of last season and this season. The start of last season I would say that our all round attitude was better and there was much more fight. We scored quite a few late goals and we came back after going behind. The aberdeen game is a fine example, we were not great that day but we kept going to the very end and we were rewarded. Even the best teams in the world have off days where they just dont play well but they keep going and often get something.

This is where I felt Yogi failed he wasnt able to regain the performances, although they werent great, but most of all he wasnt able to regain the confidence, passion and never give up attitude.

blackpoolhibs
07-10-2010, 11:59 AM

Yogi is a good guy, but I think he is clutching at straws when moaning about the press. Thats what the press do, they pick up on the worst stats available as it makes a better story, but this isnt anything new. Every club gets it, IMO, he fuelled it even more by not acknowledging the bad stats.

Yes i'd agree with that, and that was why he was sacked/left in the end. I will say i think he deserved the chance to address the slide, but it was apparent he couldn't so had to leave. If we sack every manager without giving them a chance to address the bad times, we will have a new manager every season.

Albion Hibs
07-10-2010, 12:24 PM
You know what?4th is a great acheivement, no doubt.If we had a dip earlier last season and came back storming to take 4th, started this season reasonably well, and had a dip in forn i could see your argument.But we have done neither.C,mon tae FFS.Stop being the Yam ostrich boy and take your Yogi blinkers off and look at the facts.We are pish and the buck stops with the manager.No tactics, no pace, no width no good.Give it a rest

Totally ridiculous comment in my view.

You would have been happy with we had taken 4th in more of an "exciting" way is what you are saying. Surely you would have rather been in and round the 3/4th slot all season which is what we were, and possibly taken third. I cant believe you wanted more of a film style showing to the season, maybe you should get yourself down to blockbuster.

Stop being such a yam ostrich if we had the slightest bit of luck since the begining of the season we would have been higher up the table - 1 or 2 more goals would have done that - does the buck still stop with the manager when those 1 or 2 goals are sold on the last day of the transfer window! The replacement striker sidelined 5 mins after he had his photo taken for the club.

The reality is regardless of my view Yogi is now gone, and we are waiting now for a manager that can provide that film style entertainment on the pitch that you so badly crave - let me ask you, it we had width, pace, wonderful tactics and finished 5/6th would you be a happier Hibby / Yam Ostrich?

HFC 0-7
07-10-2010, 02:04 PM
Yes i'd agree with that, and that was why he was sacked/left in the end. I will say i think he deserved the chance to address the slide, but it was apparent he couldn't so had to leave. If we sack every manager without giving them a chance to address the bad times, we will have a new manager every season.

I agree that every manager should be given the chance, however, I think Yogi had more than enough time. IMO, if 4th place wasnt a European place, he would have been given the bullit then. Any decent manager should be able to address the slide within a few games, not half a season. If you want to be challening for things, then you cant afford to have anyone in charge that takes a long time to sort things out as you lose ground. Dundee Utd last season were steady throughout and it paid off. Motherwell went through a sticky patch but pretty much emerged from it about 5 games later.

IMO, it was more the fact that Yogi didnt seem to be changing anything to address the slide until it was too late. I am sure he will learn from it now that he isnt in the job and will have a chance to reflect on where it went wrong.

WindyMiller
07-10-2010, 02:15 PM
I agree with you. Yogi is trying to put a spin on something that was largely not influenced by him, apart from the fact the Board have not been supporting him lately.

I doubt anyone here would want Riordan and Zemmama to not sign an extension. So what was his big plan there?

He was getting little change out of Petrie in the last few months. Evidenced by some loans being just until the end of the year. I do not dispute though that having the possibilty of clearing out a lot of those players would be attractive to a new man. Something the players should think about when they line up against Killie.

I'd like Deek to stay, if the new man feels he can fit in to the team structure, but I'm not overly fussed about Zemmama as, for all his ability, his body doesn't seem to be able to stand up to the rigeurs of the Scottish season

Phil D. Rolls
07-10-2010, 04:11 PM
In my view, for some people, slagging off Hibernian has become habit. They can't wait for the next thing to bump their gums about.

I think the main thrust of the debate on this thread concerns Yogi's interpretation of events. No point in going over the whole thing again, but the way he sees things is a bit different to the way others do.

I haven't been slagging off Hibs, it's my frustration at what Yogi was doing to us that has prompted most of my jibes in the last couple of months. People are saying we didn't show Yogi enough patience, but I don't think that's true.

To call people who are responding to Yogi's version of events, rather than just accepting them "haterz", is just immature on so many levels. I think that most people aren't happy with the way things have turned out, but to imply there has been some sort of conspiracy against Hughes is out of order.

Fair play to those who thought that committing themselves 100% to the Hibs cause was the best way ahead. To me though, you can only ignore the iceberg your captain is heading towards for so long.

Phil D. Rolls
07-10-2010, 04:13 PM
Totally ridiculous comment in my view.

You would have been happy with we had taken 4th in more of an "exciting" way is what you are saying. Surely you would have rather been in and round the 3/4th slot all season which is what we were, and possibly taken third. I cant believe you wanted more of a film style showing to the season, maybe you should get yourself down to blockbuster.

Stop being such a yam ostrich if we had the slightest bit of luck since the begining of the season we would have been higher up the table - 1 or 2 more goals would have done that - does the buck still stop with the manager when those 1 or 2 goals are sold on the last day of the transfer window! The replacement striker sidelined 5 mins after he had his photo taken for the club.

The reality is regardless of my view Yogi is now gone, and we are waiting now for a manager that can provide that film style entertainment on the pitch that you so badly crave - let me ask you, it we had width, pace, wonderful tactics and finished 5/6th would you be a happier Hibby / Yam Ostrich?

IWasThere2016
07-10-2010, 07:47 PM
Bawheid - I'm not kicking anybody - its just the FACTS! :wink:

E.T. is a Hibee
07-10-2010, 09:27 PM
ABSOLUTE LEGEND!!

Mate he was gash!

alex74
07-10-2010, 09:29 PM
Mate he was gash!wasnae that good maybe talked a good game:thumbsup:

lEXO
08-10-2010, 05:06 PM
Your right.now he knows what kind of football\ movies i like. Genius.

IWasThere2016
09-10-2010, 12:08 PM
Meant to say - and apols if already mentioned - the £4.5m Yogi made for us will be Fletch £3.oddsm and Stokes. You will recall RP said the manager had final say on the transfers out. I trust Yogi is taking Fletch into his thinking.