PDA

View Full Version : Ambition please (merged)

totalfootball
06-10-2010, 05:08 PM
In no particular order this should be our shortlist for the managers position:

1. Bryan Robson
2. Paul Jewell
3. Alan Curbishley
4. Tony Mowbray
5. Alan Pardew

Now I know these are higher profile names but this is the calibre and experience we should be looking at and I honestly believe one of these guys would take the job! We CANNOT accept A SECOND RATE inexperienced manager as this has not done us any favours. Names being mentioned like Gus macpherson, Jimmy Calderwood (and who the hell on here suggested Eddie May?) are embarassing!!!

jackhfc
06-10-2010, 05:12 PM
well said.

Phil D. Rolls
06-10-2010, 05:13 PM
I wasn't aware Absinthe was so widely available in Edinburgh. Can anyone direct me to a reliable stockist?

Disc O'Dave
06-10-2010, 05:14 PM

1. Bryan Robson
2. Paul Jewell
3. Alan Curbishley
4. Tony Mowbray
5. Alan Pardew

Now I know these are higher profile names but this is the calibre and experience we should be looking at and I honestly believe one of these guys would take the job! We CANNOT accept A SECOND RATE inexperienced manager as this has not done us any favours. Names being mentioned like Gus macpherson, Jimmy Calderwood (and who the hell on here suggested Eddie May?) are embarassing!!!

I suspect the Eddie May suggestion wasn't entirely serious - a slant on our ex-Hibs Players and then ex-Falkirk reliance :rolleyes:

Phil D. Rolls
06-10-2010, 05:14 PM
well said.

wee airdrie jambo agrees!!!

Wilson
06-10-2010, 05:23 PM

1. Bryan Robson
2. Paul Jewell
3. Alan Curbishley
4. Tony Mowbray
5. Alan Pardew

I don't believe any of the above would take the job. So when all these reasonably high profile managers turn us down because of the wages on offer and the budget constraints what then?

I wouldn't suggest against sounding a couple of big names out. You never know your luck. Realistically though we're looking at an appointment a lot further down the list.

Get serious in other words.

El Gubbz
06-10-2010, 05:28 PM
I wasn't aware Absinthe was so widely available in Edinburgh. Can anyone direct me to a reliable stockist?

Asda sell it, only 50 odd % though

Yuillsy
06-10-2010, 05:40 PM
:top marksEmploying 1 of these suggestions would surely entice more people back to Easter road. Hopefully the extra cash through the gates would increase the new managers budget in January. It would be difficult to attract any of the 5 suggested into taking the job but if the board have any ambition at all they need to prove it and aim high.

What's the point of building a big new stand and having it sit half empty every week. Appointing Calderwood or MacPherson would drive people away from Easter Road rather than bring them back in droves.

1. Bryan Robson
2. Paul Jewell
3. Alan Curbishley
4. Tony Mowbray
5. Alan Pardew

Kaiser1962
06-10-2010, 05:48 PM
Absolutely this.

How does anyone suggest we pay for any of these people? I cant wait for the "invest" or "speculate to accumulate" comments.

I don't believe any of the above would take the job. So when all these reasonably high profile managers turn us down because of the wages on offer and the budget constraints what then?

I wouldn't suggest against sounding a couple of big names out. You never know your luck. Realistically though we're looking at an appointment a lot further down the list.

Get serious in other words.

Spudster
06-10-2010, 05:50 PM

1. Bryan Robson
2. Paul Jewell
3. Alan Curbishley
4. Tony Mowbray
5. Alan Pardew

Fixated with the english Premiership by any chance totalfootball?

Robson's most successful spell in terms of win % is Middlesbrough, a team he got relegated, with Brazil's great hope at the time and one of Italy's first choice forwards. No thanks

tamig
06-10-2010, 06:15 PM

1. Bryan Robson
2. Paul Jewell
3. Alan Curbishley
4. Tony Mowbray
5. Alan Pardew

Bryan Robson top of your list? You're not being serious? What's the credentials?

Houchy
06-10-2010, 06:20 PM
Bryan Robson top of your list? You're not being serious? What's the credentials?

The top part of the OP's post does state (in fairness) "in no particular order".

Wilson
06-10-2010, 06:22 PM
The top part of the OP's post does state (in fairness) "in no particular order".

Seems a bit odd to have numbered them then.

Houchy
06-10-2010, 06:28 PM
Seems a bit odd to have numbered them then.

:agree:It does. I'm not disagreeing, just highlighting what it states. Certainly wouldn't be near the top of my list either.

tamig
06-10-2010, 06:31 PM

Sorry that's fair enough. But him even being on the list at all surprises me. Another example of a brilliant player who failed to make the grade as a manager imo.

KiddA
06-10-2010, 06:32 PM
Ok looking at the possible candidates for the job the cheap options would be Jimmy Calderwood or Michael O'Neil to name a couple and personally I hope and pray the board don't go down that route including the Scottish 1st division managers that have been mentioned.

On the higher price options I think Steve Clarke would be a fantastic appointment but just can't see it as he would be well out of Hibs budget but who knows. The bookies have him up there for a reason and there is no smoke without fire.

On another note I think Jimmy Calderwood would be a disaster appointment and would have to start asking questions about our boards ambition but I hope and pray they get this next one right and stay a million miles away from that clown.

greenlex
06-10-2010, 06:36 PM
Sorry that's fair enough. But him even being on the list at all surprises me. Another example of a brilliant player who failed to make the grade as a manager imo.
Not on my list either but he was minutes away from landing Boro their first silverware in years.
The guy who eventually dud it for boro was chased out if English football as a dud and is doing great in Europe. There but fir the grace of god?

oregonhibby
06-10-2010, 06:44 PM
Being all ex Premiership managers I imagine £500k base is the minimum plus plus (remember Curbishley is sitting in the garden til he gets his £2m). I wonder how much we supporters would be willing to pay extra to have the Club match our ambitions? Remember there are backroom staff so call it £1-2m, plus the type of player they would want to sign.

Would we pay double the ticket price to support this ambition? Doubt it....and the gates would they really rise to meet the increase in costs? Doubt it too.

Manager in the mould of Mowbray on the way up, taught in the backroom of a Premiership or Championship team for me. Still not cheap and if he is a success we will lose him but happier for the success and a few bob in compensation.

Just a view

Also these guys - bar Mowbray perhaps don't want third or the odd cup run.

hibee4life1983
06-10-2010, 07:04 PM
The board has to push the boat out, imo rods clever enough to realise that paying pennys gets you nowhere.

Leithenhibby
06-10-2010, 07:11 PM
Ok looking at the possible candidates for the job the cheap options would be Jimmy Calderwood or Michael O'Neil to name a couple and personally I hope and pray the board don't go down that route including the Scottish 1st division managers that have been mentioned.

On the higher price options I think Steve Clarke would be a fantastic appointment but just can't see it as he would be well out of Hibs budget but who knows. The bookies have him up there for a reason and there is no smoke without fire.

On another note I think Jimmy Calderwood would be a disaster appointment and would have to start asking questions about our boards ambition but I hope and pray they get this next one right and stay a million miles away from that clown.

I would hope they have learnt from there mistakes but I for one won't be holding my breath.

Last week I fancied Gordon Chisholm :rolleyes: and now that some names like Steve Clarke, Paul Sturrock and that Italian guy Nevio Scala!! but, and it's a BIG but, can we afford any of the gays mentioned..... Time will tell.

To answer your question I would hope they will push the boat out... :cool2:

totalfootball
06-10-2010, 07:12 PM
Fixated with the english Premiership by any chance totalfootball?

Robson's most successful spell in terms of win % is Middlesbrough, a team he got relegated, with Brazil's great hope at the time and one of Italy's first choice forwards. No thanks

No im certainly not, but who do you suggest then? Another reject thats taken killie to the brink of the top 6 or saved St Mirren from relegation?! Get a grip Spudster you twat, how about you go and stand outside easter road or east mains and plead with Rod petrie to appoint Sandy Clark or John Robertson! Obviously some Hibs fans think we shouldn't be looking at appointing some1 with half decent pedigree but I aen't one of them, all of these people are out of football so to suggest we couldn't afford there wages is laughable!:bye::bye::bye:

totalfootball
06-10-2010, 07:14 PM
:agree:It does. I'm not disagreeing, just highlighting what it states. Certainly wouldn't be near the top of my list either.

Just numbered them as who came to my head first. Think Robbo would be a better appointment than many others stated.

Phil D. Rolls
06-10-2010, 07:18 PM
I often push the boat out when I'm short of cash.

Viva_Palmeiras
06-10-2010, 07:18 PM

Could he teach the lads how to drink properly and scoop the winnings on the cards?

Jonnyboy
06-10-2010, 07:19 PM
No im certainly not, but who do you suggest then? Another reject thats taken killie to the brink of the top 6 or saved St Mirren from relegation?! Get a grip Spudster you twat, how about you go and stand outside easter road or east mains and plead with Rod petrie to appoint Sandy Clark or John Robertson! Obviously some Hibs fans think we shouldn't be looking at appointing some1 with half decent pedigree but I aen't one of them, all of these people are out of football so to suggest we couldn't afford there wages is laughable!:bye::bye::bye:

I think you could have responded just as forcefully without the name calling. All that did was deflect from your argument

147lothian
06-10-2010, 07:36 PM
I just hope its an experienced manager, doesn't have to be a hibs man, as long as he has experience and can make good signings, and change things when its not going well

HibbyAndy
06-10-2010, 07:40 PM
Id wager the boat will be pushed out.

sunshine1875
06-10-2010, 07:49 PM
I think you could have responded just as forcefully without the name calling. All that did was deflect from your argument

:top marksit really annoys me how some posters on here have to resort to name calling when someone differs from their point of view.

Equally annoying when someone says "get a grip". Just because their point of view is different.

Isn't about time we got rid of such language and try to keep the discussion of all things Hibernian amicable.

Kevvy1875
06-10-2010, 07:56 PM
:top marksit really annoys me how some posters on here have to resort to name calling when someone differs from their point of view.

Equally annoying when someone says "get a grip". Just because their point of view is different.

Isn't about time we got rid of such language and try to keep the discussion of all things Hibernian amicable.

Agreed, had enough of the bad vibes on the board this last week. Had someone calling me a 'Goon' yesterday because e didnt like my point of view.

Some folk lack a little maturity when things are at a low ebb I guess but name calling against fellow Hibbys is ridiculous.

Jonnyboy
06-10-2010, 07:57 PM

Nice idea which I wholly support but it'll never happen, sadly

Kevvy1875
06-10-2010, 08:06 PM
I dont think the managers wages are a big issue. They earn small fry as compared to the top players which is crazy IMO. But there you go.

I think we could afford most managers out there. The question is wether they want to come to Hibs for reasons of prestige, European Football, Transfer Kitty etc etc.

Pro's of the Hibs job are...

Cracking Facilities 2nd to none.
Excellent City to live in.
Progressive Board who will in SPL terms afford a reasonable budget.
Top Stadia with all mod cons.
Good youth development programme.

Cons are...
Never going to win the league.
Immediate sucsess required.
Unable to hold on to Players demanding 10K plus as they develop(eg Brown, Thomshun)

Phil D. Rolls
06-10-2010, 08:08 PM
I dont think the managers wages are a big issue. They earn small fry as compared to the top players which is crazy IMO. But there you go.

I think we could afford most managers out there. The question is wether they want to come to Hibs for reasons of prestige, European Football, Transfer Kitty etc etc.

Cons are...
Unable to hold on to Players demanding 10K plus as they develop(eg Brown, Thomshun)

I think there is a difference in expecting immediate success, and tolerating immediate incompetence. Anyone going in the right direction would get time, and I also think we are pretty patient, unless it is patently obvious the manager is clueless.

Fantic
06-10-2010, 08:11 PM
Where is this boat.

Kevvy1875
06-10-2010, 08:20 PM
I think there is a difference in expecting immediate success, and tolerating immediate incompetence. Anyone going in the right direction would get time, and I also think we are pretty patient, unless it is patently obvious the manager is clueless.

Yeah, agreed. Thats really what I meant to say but I knew you would be along to articulate it for me:agree:

With this vision I should be the new gaffer and you my knowledgeable and esteemed assistant? Bit like JC and TC:greengrin

CV is going in the morn....salary required will be 20,000 p.a(bottle's of bud)

JohnScott
06-10-2010, 08:53 PM
Wouldn't worry too much about the name calling lads, it isn't like your being told to "get tae **** ya useless bassa!"

As for the OP's list? Well I totally agree we should show some ambition and try for a higher profile gaffer. I suggested Jewell the other night with my tongue in my cheek admittedly but hey, why the hell don't we give it a go. I find it amazing that you can go online and listen to fellow Hibbies going on about lack of ambition yet as soon as some of us suggest lifting the bar a bit we're told to get a grip :bitchy:

Remember when the Evening News suggested approaching George Best when he came back from the States? My, how everyone laughed!! Then, there he was with Tom Hart and a first game crowd of 23000 against Partick.

Nah your right! Lets go for a unknown like Tony was and if he's off after a year or so weve either won 6 games on the bounce or he's total mince. :thumbsup:

Jim44
06-10-2010, 10:28 PM

Cons are...

Add to the cons:

Rapidly becoming/ established as the 'soft touch ' of the SPL and the team every other club wants to play every week, home or away.

A tendency to attract an unhealthy number of mutinous players who, unlike most players in most clubs, have an uncanny ability to attract bad publicity for the club through unprofessional attitude and conduct in their extra curricular lives.

Cropley10
06-10-2010, 10:33 PM

Why would Steve Clarke be a fantastic appointment :dunno:

Great player - great number 2.... but completely unknown and unproven. Could be utter tom kite.

James70
06-10-2010, 10:51 PM
I would hope they have learnt from there mistakes but I for one won't be holding my breath.

Last week I fancied Gordon Chisholm :rolleyes: and now that some names like Steve Clarke, Paul Sturrock and that Italian guy Nevio Scala!! but, and it's a BIG but, can we afford any of the gays mentioned..... Time will tell.

To answer your question I would hope they will push the boat out... :cool2:

Have you evidence to back up this allegation? :greengrin

broonie27
06-10-2010, 11:30 PM

Unfortunately, I think RP will be prudent when I comes to manager's wages so we can discount a fair few of the names being bandied about. I also think RP has too much class to appoint a ned like Calderwood.

I still think Bruce Rioch is a good shout. His wages won't be too high and he has stacks of experience.

RickyS
06-10-2010, 11:39 PM
Add to the cons:

Rapidly becoming/ established as the 'soft touch ' of the SPL and the team every other club wants to play every week, home or away.

A tendency to attract an unhealthy number of mutinous players who, unlike most players in most clubs, have an uncanny ability to attract bad publicity for the club through unprofessional attitude and conduct in their extra curricular lives.

sad but very true:grr:

KiddA
07-10-2010, 01:37 AM
Why would Steve Clarke be a fantastic appointment :dunno:

Great player - great number 2.... but completely unknown and unproven. Could be utter tom kite.

When a manager like Jose Mourinho raves about him being one of the best coaches he has worked with and a lot of other respectful people in football he must know his stuff. Even Luiz Felipe Scolari was gutted when he left Chelsea. Thats why I think he would be fantastic for Hibs but like I said I think he is well out of Hibs budget but time will tell. Yes never been a number one but neither was TM and he would have so many links throughout the u.k.

Wilson
07-10-2010, 09:12 AM
Nice idea which I wholly support but it'll never happen, sadly

Get a grip :wink:

Stevie Reid
07-10-2010, 09:33 AM
Ironically it was Bryan Robson's failings at West Brom that resulted in us losing Mowbray - so would his appointment be classed as ambition, when they saw fit to pursue our manager to replace him? No one on that list inspires me, with the exception of Alan Curbishley, who I believe we have absolutely no chance of getting.

And I love how many people refer to Hibs as constantly going for the cheap option - I would love to get the kind of salary that Hibs pay. We have a wage budget to stick to, which the manager falls within, and appointing a manager on big bucks is just as big a risk as signing a big money player - both can hamstring the club for years if they go wrong, though the one key difference is that you get nowhere near as much compensation for losing a manager to another club, as you do a player.

And as for showing ambition (ignoring the deluded Yam style imagery that that statment always conjures up) we reached 4th place in the league last year and have just got rid of manager who looked, after 7 games, that he wouldn't match that - that, along with the infrastructure and completing a 20,000 seater stadium seems like ambition to me.

Interesting to note however that appointing an out of work manager is classed as the height of ambition, but building a 6,000 seater stand is seen as a white elephant.

YehButNoBut
07-10-2010, 10:57 AM
2 new candidates being mentioned in the press who I have not come across as being possibles so far.

Steve Constantine

http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Muchtravelled-coach-Constantine-admits-strong.6570200.jp

and German Uwe Rapolder

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2010/10/07/former-porstmouth-boss-paul-hart-and-german-boss-uwe-rapolder-are-shock-candidates-for-hibs-hotseat-86908-22614840/

Anyone know anything about them??

Green_one
07-10-2010, 11:03 AM

1. Bryan Robson
2. Paul Jewell
3. Alan Curbishley
4. Tony Mowbray
5. Alan Pardew

I'll send you a picture of my **** if we sign any of those :greengrin

I cannot see a match up between these guys and Hibs.

TrickyNicky
07-10-2010, 11:17 AM
I'll send you a picture of my **** if we sign any of those :greengrin

I cannot see a match up between these guys and Hibs.

Why on earth would you want to send someone a picture of your shed to prove a point.

This place is hysterical right now !

Lendo
07-10-2010, 11:45 AM
2 new candidates being mentioned in the press who I have not come across as being possibles so far.

Steve Constantine

http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Muchtravelled-coach-Constantine-admits-strong.6570200.jp

and German Uwe Rapolder

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2010/10/07/former-porstmouth-boss-paul-hart-and-german-boss-uwe-rapolder-are-shock-candidates-for-hibs-hotseat-86908-22614840/

Anyone know anything about them??

Uwe Rapolder has got a massive and indepth bio in Wikipedia. Check it out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uwe_Rapolder

Andy74
07-10-2010, 11:46 AM
Where is the stuff about us going for cheap options in the past coming from??

Our accounts don't show any leeway for paying any more so surely we have always gone to the limit of what we can afford?

Booked4Being-Ugly
07-10-2010, 12:30 PM

To answer your question I would hope they will push the boat out... :cool2::tee hee:

matty_f
07-10-2010, 12:59 PM
Where is the stuff about us going for cheap options in the past coming from??

Our accounts don't show any leeway for paying any more so surely we have always gone to the limit of what we can afford?

Sssh. Don't mention anything sensible!!!:grr:

vahibbie
07-10-2010, 01:57 PM
Also these guys - bar Mowbray perhaps don't want third or the odd cup run.

Why not:confused:
It's better than they've done most of the time.

Jonnyboy
07-10-2010, 02:02 PM
Get a grip :wink:

Can you recommend who's neck? :greengrin

persevere1875
07-10-2010, 02:04 PM
Can we please just sign someone so we can all get back to doing what we do best, moaning were mince and telling the new guy to do one :wink:

Kaiser1962
07-10-2010, 02:10 PM
And how did the George Best signing end up again?

I'm all for showing ambition and signing proven international players. I would love us to be be watching Messi or Torres in a Hibs strip but we're not and unlikely to be. I would love to think that Wenger, Mourinho or Benitez would be tempted but they wont be. If a manager comes in and does well he wont be here in 18 months or if he does badly he still wont be here in 18 months. Thats the reality guys. We may get a wee flutter if things go well but the riches on offer elsewhere make it impossible for us to compete these days.

Wouldn't worry too much about the name calling lads, it isn't like your being told to "get tae **** ya useless bassa!"

As for the OP's list? Well I totally agree we should show some ambition and try for a higher profile gaffer. I suggested Jewell the other night with my tongue in my cheek admittedly but hey, why the hell don't we give it a go. I find it amazing that you can go online and listen to fellow Hibbies going on about lack of ambition yet as soon as some of us suggest lifting the bar a bit we're told to get a grip :bitchy:

Remember when the Evening News suggested approaching George Best when he came back from the States? My, how everyone laughed!! Then, there he was with Tom Hart and a first game crowd of 23000 against Partick.

Nah your right! Lets go for a unknown like Tony was and if he's off after a year or so weve either won 6 games on the bounce or he's total mince. :thumbsup:

HibbyAndy
07-10-2010, 02:15 PM

I'm all for showing ambition and signing proven international players. I would love us to be be watching Messi or Torres in a Hibs strip but we're not and unlikely to be. I would love to think that Wenger, Mourinho or Benitez would be tempted but they wont be. If a manager comes in and does well he wont be here in 18 months or if he does badly he still wont be here in 18 months. Thats the reality guys. We may get a wee flutter if things go well but the riches on offer elsewhere make it impossible for us to compete these days.

Imagine him trying to drum it intae Rankin and the guys how to pass a baw 2 yards :hilarious

JohnScott
07-10-2010, 08:41 PM

I'm all for showing ambition and signing proven international players. I would love us to be be watching Messi or Torres in a Hibs strip but we're not and unlikely to be. I would love to think that Wenger, Mourinho or Benitez would be tempted but they wont be. If a manager comes in and does well he wont be here in 18 months or if he does badly he still wont be here in 18 months. Thats the reality guys. We may get a wee flutter if things go well but the riches on offer elsewhere make it impossible for us to compete the orse days.

Pray tell who said Wenger. Mourinho or Benitez? You just had to exaggerate to make your point eh? :wink: I suggested someone like Jewell as he's managed in the lower leagues and has been out of a job since Derby.

Now, as for your question about Georgie. I was at every game he played for Hibs and every game he failed to turn-up. He may have been a shadow of the player he was at Utd but by God I'm proud to say I saw him in a Hibs shirt. I was also delighted to get his signature from Mike McDonald. Oh and I've a 8mm recording of him playing at Hamilton Accies. Now ask me again how it ended smarty-pants? It ended in me looking back in pride at seeing a football legend playing in the green and white shirt of the Hibees! :bye: