PDA

View Full Version : "GOD" has spoken!

Stantons Angel
05-10-2010, 03:38 PM
Interesting slant in the evening news tonight on the sacking of our manager by the one and only PAT STANTON
IMHO every thing he has said is so so true of our current players.

Its been said often on here that Yogi took the brunt of abuse because he is the manager. He is the one who puts the team on the field and puts together the game plan and tactics.

Once those players are out on the field then its up to them to perform. I agree with Pat that some or most of them have not been giving their all for the jersey.

If they think that they too are not responsible for the managers sacking they should think again! A new manager will come in and he too will bring in HIS players. So those who think they are better than they actually are watch out you will be found out and moved on!

Before you all start spouting forth, take a look a the article. It will make you think and decide yourself who you think he is talking about.

:agree:

HFC 0-7
05-10-2010, 03:40 PM
Interesting slant in the evening news tonight on the sacking of our manager by the one and only PAT STANTON
IMHO every thing he has said is so so true of our current players.

Its been said often on here that Yogi took the brunt of abuse because he is the manager. He is the one who puts the team on the field and puts together the game plan and tactics.

Once those players are out on the field then its up to them to perform. I agree with Pat that some or most of them have not been giving their all for the jersey.

If they think that they too are not responsible for the managers sacking they should think again! A new manager will come in and he too will bring in HIS players. So those who think they are better than they actually are watch out you will be found out and moved on!

Before you all start spouting forth, take a look a the article. It will make you think and decide yourself who you think he is talking about.

:agree:

A link would be nice.

Sir David Gray
05-10-2010, 04:00 PM
A link would be nice.

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/Hibs-legend-accuses-players-of.6565610.jp

Wilson
05-10-2010, 04:15 PM
Pat has seen it all and I don't doubt there is truth in what he says. Hopefully some of the players are taking a good look at themselves. This is only a part of the issues that have blighted Yogi's reign though. I think the Herald article posted earlier - which criticised Yogi's signing policy - is a bit closer to the reason why Yogi is not manager today.

leithsansiro
05-10-2010, 05:16 PM
How about Stanton for manager? He fights a lot of people's criteria...:wink:

Stantons Angel
05-10-2010, 06:04 PM
He fits everyone's criteria but has already had a go at being a Hibs supporter, former player, manager and couldnt do any better than all the other former player managers.

He like Hughes is a Hibs man and i doubt he would want to lay himself open to the kind of abuse Hughes took on here. I for one wouldnt want him being subjected to that!!!

His article is his usual honest opinion of what has been going on all season.

The earlier post referred to made sensible pertinent points, making you think more deeply, than the usual rants we are used to.

I just wonder if the present players will be held in the stature that Pat is now?
:rolleyes:

Baldy Foghorn
05-10-2010, 06:51 PM
He fits everyone's criteria but has already had a go at being a Hibs supporter, former player, manager and couldnt do any better than all the other former player managers.

He like Hughes is a Hibs man and i doubt he would want to lay himself open to the kind of abuse Hughes took on here. I for one wouldnt want him being subjected to that!!!

The earlier post referred to made sensible pertinent points, making you think more deeply, than the usual rants we are used to.

I just wonder if the present players will be held in the stature that Pat is now?

He fits everyone's criteria??:confused: What exactly is the criteria he fits......??

Does not fit my criteria that is for sure, have you been on the cooking sherry Janette?

Baader
05-10-2010, 06:59 PM
Pat has been out of the game far too long to come back in now which is a real shame as he himself has said that he had a lot to offer but unfortunately he received no backing from the Hibs board when he was our manager. The club was extremely poorly run at the time, money just was not available and he suffered from that as a result. At the time we were surviving on a week to week basis it seemed. Not a slight on Kenny Waugh who is a good Hibby but the finances and infrastructure just was not in place to really see what Pat could do for us.

Stantons Angel
05-10-2010, 07:02 PM
His name alone carries all the criteria he needs! (enough said)

(Cooking sherry or diet irn bru id still feel the same, )

Baldy Foghorn
05-10-2010, 07:24 PM
His name alone carries all the criteria he needs! (enough said)

(Cooking sherry or diet irn bru id still feel the same, )

Right if that is the criteria, then I would plump for Eddie Turnbull with Lawrie Reilly as his assistant:devil:

JohnScott
05-10-2010, 07:30 PM

Ahem, you are talking about the same Pat Stanton who received plenty of stick when he was manager?!!

heretoday
05-10-2010, 09:41 PM
Pat did better as a manager away from ER.

I'm trying to remember whether "Stanton must go" was ever a chant during his reign.

Stantons Angel
05-10-2010, 11:13 PM
Think there may be a wee bit of crossed wires here.......... i am speaking about the same Pat Stanton and yes he did take some "stick" during his short reign as manager. What i am saying is he knows first hand how Yogi is feeling right now and would not want to put himself through it again.

I cant recollect any chants wanting him to go although we where not playing well then either. As another post says the infrasturcture and financial side of the the modern game were not in place then and he felt he had to resign. Probably before the chanting started.

He has been out of the game a while but the present players would do themselves no harm to read what he says and have that look in the mirror...

Pity they cant see what we have seen all season so far.

Thank you all for your input on this its been interesting reading other peoples thoughts on the subject. Even you Baldy Foghorn............................:bye:

HIBERNIAN-0762
06-10-2010, 07:49 AM
Pat has been out of the game far too long to come back in now which is a real shame as he himself has said that he had a lot to offer but unfortunately he received no backing from the Hibs board when he was our manager. The club was extremely poorly run at the time, money just was not available and he suffered from that as a result. At the time we were surviving on a week to week basis it seemed. Not a slight on Kenny Waugh who is a good Hibby but the finances and infrastructure just was not in place to really see what Pat could do for us.

Not a slight on Kenny Waugh? :bitchy:

A tube with no knowledge of how to run a football club, never trust a bookie the banner said in the old north stand and my goodness how true that statement was.

Peevemor
06-10-2010, 08:00 AM
Not a slight on Kenny Waugh? :bitchy:

A tube with no knowledge of how to run a football club, never trust a bookie the banner said in the old north stand and my goodness how true that statement was.

He was one of the first to put his hand in his pocket and start buying up (worthless) shares during Mercer's takeover bid. It was also during his ownership that the white elephant enormous terracing was reduced in size and the roof put on, meaning that the majority of home fans were under cover for the first time in Hibs history. He also invested heavily in the old main stand, bringing the changing rooms, etc. up to an acceptable standard. All this during a period when the majority of matches at ER attracted crowds of around 5,000. He was certainly no worse than most other club owners at that time.

NORTHERNHIBBY
06-10-2010, 09:33 AM

I'm trying to remember whether "Stanton must go" was ever a chant during his reign.

I can remember scarves on the pitch when Dumbarton beat us at home. That adds up to the same thing.

thebakerboy
06-10-2010, 10:22 AM
I think that Rod Petrie could do worse than ask Pat to head up an advisory team of ex players to assist in selecting the next manager.

Phil D. Rolls
06-10-2010, 10:40 AM

With the greatest respect to a club legend, can I just point out that Pat did very little to impress at his previous two clubs - Cowdenbeath and Dunfermline.

People would never have hounded Pat out of the manager's job. I just think he was too nice a guy to put up with bossing footballers. He was also in the hot seat when the club was a total shambles, and he didn't have a bean to spend.

I think that Rod Petrie could do worse than ask Pat to head up an advisory team of ex players to assist in selecting the next manager.

What do you base that opinion on?

hughio
06-10-2010, 11:02 AM
The current players unfortunately cannot possibly be aware of just what it was like for us oldies to watch Pat Stanton play.
Driving forward like Scotty Brown, tackling hard like Kevin Thompson (on a good day).running box to box for 90 minutes,driving team mates on,scoring goals and always obviously committed to the Club and jersey. Aaah the old days! They simply do not make em like that anymore.

To ask whether the current crop will be remembered that way ...are you being serious?
:cool2:

superfurryhibby
06-10-2010, 11:43 AM
I can remember scarves on the pitch when Dumbarton beat us at home. That adds up to the same thing.

Stanton having been reduced to signing up guys like Malky Robertson whom he happened to bump into at Waverley Station. He signed guys like Hunter, Weir and Kane and showed an eye for a good young player.

Overall, Pat was never really given a fighting chance at Hibs. The quality of the squad he inherited from Bertie Auld was truly appalling and, aside from Alan Rough's signing, money was very limited.

I think fans were looking at the board and the lack of investment on the field as the culprits rather than Stanton being a failure as Hibs manager.

allezsauzee
06-10-2010, 11:55 AM
Stanton having been reduced to signing up guys like Malky Robertson whom he happened to bump into at Waverley Station. He signed guys like Hunter, Weir and Kane and showed an eye for a good young player.

Overall, Pat was never really given a fighting chance at Hibs. The quality of the squad he inherited from Bertie Auld was truly appalling and, aside from Alan Rough's signing, money was very limited.

I think fans were looking at the board and the lack of investment on the field as the culprits rather than Stanton being a failure as Hibs manager.

I completely agree. Pat was in charge when I started watching Hibs on a regular basis. The piss poor squad he inherited, lack of funds available and the fact that the great team of the early seventies would still be the benchmark for many people contributed greatly to his sacking.

I'm sure it was Pat that had the foresight to sign a young Gordon Durie from East Fife ( could have been John Blackley tho!) as well as bringing through the likes of Kano, JC, Mickey Weir

calumb
06-10-2010, 11:57 AM

If i remember correctly it was John Blackley that happened to first. I was young but remember being absolutely shocked as a lot of the guys chanting it must have remembered him as a player.
Stantons match against Dumbarton was a particular low point as i think we had been knocked out the cup by Meadowbank in the previous home game, think there was less than 3000 at the Dumbarton game.

allezsauzee
06-10-2010, 12:05 PM
If i remember correctly it was John Blackley that happened to first. I was young but remember being absolutely shocked as a lot of the guys chanting it must have remembered him as a player.
Stantons match against Dumbarton was a particular low point as i think we had been knocked out the cup by Meadowbank in the previous home game, think there was less than 3000 at the Dumbarton game.

I'm sure that was Mickey Weir's debut...we lost 3-2 after leading as I recall....not great days and yet I still got hyper about going to Easter Road every other Sat at that age!

Stantons Angel
06-10-2010, 04:56 PM
reading through these posts the one thing that comes out in all of them is the respect you all still hold for the man, the player and the HIBBY!

Its nice to see that and you are right in everything you say regarding the circumstances surrounding Hibs at the time.

Us oldies remember what a Hibs captain is worth to the team and its right that his opinion is sought by the media on all things Hibs.

Just lets hope our next manager does the business and is treated better than the recent occupants of the job.

GGTTH :agree:

sesoim
06-10-2010, 05:51 PM
While the players may well be at fault, I'd still say the buck stops with the manager. A manager needs to be able to read players, work out who has the right attitude to be at the club. Alex Ferguson had to get rid of loads of good players because he felt, ultimately, that they would damage the club if they were kept on.

The next manager might lance a few of the ackward players in January, but then again, he might know how to sort them out and get the best out of them.