PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE not Gus McPherson

jackhfc
05-10-2010, 03:18 PM
read on the 'evening times' website he's been linked with the job, SURELY we can't appoint someone who was sacked from Sh*te Mirren:rolleyes:

The_Todd
05-10-2010, 03:23 PM
I think he did a good job at St Mirren, and didn't deserve the sack.

Not saying I want him, but he wouldn't be a disaster. In fact, St Mirren fans I know weren't at all happy with the decision to axe him.

hughio
05-10-2010, 03:39 PM
I think he did a good job at St Mirren, and didn't deserve the sack.

Not saying I want him, but he wouldn't be a disaster. In fact, St Mirren fans I know weren't at all happy with the decision to axe him.

I agree.
Not my first choice either but certainly knows the game. Did very well with resources at Love Street and was man enough to tell them where to put their job when the board messed him about.

Cue "not hibs class" :rolleyes:

Jim44
05-10-2010, 03:50 PM
read on the 'evening times' website he's been linked with the job, SURELY we can't appoint someone who was sacked from Sh*te Mirren:rolleyes:

To be honest, from the list of names I've seen, I don't think there's anyone who could come in and really turn us around on a reasonably permanent basis. The novelty /change of face, eg Mixu and Yogi, as expected, resulted in a promising upturn in fortune but the leveling out and inevitable plummet was never far away. O'Neil, MacPherson, Caldwell, McInnes etc. etc. would probably conform to the that norm and on we would go on the roundabout yet again. I think we need someone with the strength of character, and of course experience, to take our hotch potch of unprofessional, and questionably, uncommitted players by the bollocks and shake them to their senses. I certainly wanted to see the back of Hughes but I'm nervous about the ability of his successor to weed out the bad apples in our squad.

Bookkeeper
05-10-2010, 03:53 PM
Never saw anything in his time at St Mirren to suggest it wouldn't be more of the same turgid, boring SPL football. No thanks, not for me. :bitchy:

jackhfc
05-10-2010, 03:58 PM
Would like to see us splash out for once and get Craig Brown in from Motherwell, not that it would happen, just be nice to have some ambition and try.

He'd certainly be capable of getting us third next season, bit beyond us after the start we've had this season I think.

matty_f
05-10-2010, 04:20 PM
Never saw anything in his time at St Mirren to suggest it wouldn't be more of the same turgid, boring SPL football. No thanks, not for me. :bitchy:

:top marks My thoughts exactly!

lucky
05-10-2010, 04:28 PM
Would not be my choice but knows the SPL and would relish the step up. I dont get this more turgid SPL comments, its the SPL we play in and seem to play fairly poorly most seasons so why people are discounting experienced SPL mangers is a bit baffling. Some on here sound like Old firm fans.

FFS we have not won the league in over 50 years the Scottish cup for over 100 years and 3 league cups in in nearly 40 years. It hardly makes us the new Barcelona.

A bit of perspective from some is required.

Craig_in_Prague
05-10-2010, 04:33 PM
Would not be my choice but knows the SPL and would relish the step up. I dont get this more turgid SPL comments, its the SPL we play in and seem to play fairly poorly most seasons so why people are discounting experienced SPL mangers is a bit baffling. Some on here sound like Old firm fans.

FFS we have not won the league in over 50 years the Scottish cup for over 100 years and 3 league cups in in nearly 40 years. It hardly makes us the new Barcelona.

I think the fear would be another Fat Bobby appointment. At least, that would be my concern.

If we go for any manager in Scotland, I hope it's Paw Broon. It would be nice to see Hibs being actually organised and he clearly likes width in his sides too. Reckon he'd get us going.

Wilson
05-10-2010, 04:42 PM

We expect to be competing for third. We also expect a decent run in both cups. No perspective required there. This isn't about winning the league which all but the crazy accept is unlikely. It is more about cementing our rightful status as one of the bigger clubs in Scottish football. We, of course, have no god given right to finish third but we should always aspire to.

Gus MacPherson being experienced at SPL level doesn't necessarily qualify him as the right man to help us achieve the above. Success for Gus, I would imagine, has always been about avoiding relegation first and foremost. Meeting the challenges and expectations (and pressures) at Hibs would therefore be somewhat different. SPL experience will help but it is just one component. What else has he in his locker that will enable him to succeed?

lucky
05-10-2010, 04:43 PM
I think the fear would be another Fat Bobby appointment. At least, that would be my concern.

If we go for any manager in Scotland, I hope it's Paw Broon. It would be nice to see Hibs being actually organised and he clearly likes width in his sides too. Reckon he'd get us going.

Hibs fans seem more interested in a mangers background rather than the ability to win games. I would settle for ugly winning football. When we play hearts of the park but get beat I dont come away salivating at the fact we played''the hibs way''. I would be more than happy to battle them and beat them. Sport is about winning something we are not very good at.

Craig_in_Prague
05-10-2010, 04:44 PM
Hibs fans seem more interested in a mangers background rather than the ability to win games. I would settle for ugly winning football. When we play hearts of the park but get beat I dont come away salivating at the fact we played''the hibs way''. I would be more than happy to battle them and beat them. Sport is about winning something we are not very good at.

PeterboroHibee
05-10-2010, 06:21 PM
Dont think McPherson would be a bad appointment, still got no idea why he was punted from St.Mirren, he wouldnt really be someone Id consider a favourite though.