PDA

View Full Version : pat fenlen ? new boss?thoughts

erin go bragh
05-10-2010, 02:36 PM
pat fenlen [currant bohemians manager] seemingly already discussing terms and compensation.
this was the man dundee utd wanted to replace harry potter but they wouldnt cough up enough compensation. paddy power have cut his odds fi 18/1 to 12s
thoughts?

Cropley10
05-10-2010, 02:40 PM
pat fenlen [currant bohemians manager] seemingly already discussing terms and compensation.
this was the man dundee utd wanted to replace harry potter but they wouldnt cough up enough compensation. paddy power have cut his odds fi 18/1 to 12s
thoughts?

Did he used to play for Hibs?

TheBall'sRound
05-10-2010, 02:40 PM
thoughts?

Realistically the next Hibs manager will be currently unemployed. I really don't see Rod dipping into his pocket to pay for compensation. He'll invite applications, interview them and choose the best one.

We will get what we pay for - a young, inexperienced up-and-comer who might turn out to be brilliant (or not) or an old hand who is tainted with getting the sack from his last job.

Spike Mandela
05-10-2010, 02:47 PM
Never played or managed outside of Ireland. Doesn't rule him out but begs the question why his name crops up in so many posts. I've never heard of him.

ionahibby
05-10-2010, 03:02 PM
thoughts?

Pleas no :bitchy: hardly inspiring stuff if true! Would all end in tears imo

Andy74
05-10-2010, 03:04 PM
Doubt any of us know the first thing about him so no idea how we can judge his abilities.

Beefster
05-10-2010, 03:08 PM
Realistically the next Hibs manager will be currently unemployed. I really don't see Rod dipping into his pocket to pay for compensation. He'll invite applications, interview them and choose the best one.

We will get what we pay for - a young, inexperienced up-and-comer who might turn out to be brilliant (or not) or an old hand who is tainted with getting the sack from his last job.

Hibs have paid clubs compensation to get the last two managers.

bighairyfaeleith
05-10-2010, 03:08 PM
I genuinely have no opinion on the guy

ionahibby
05-10-2010, 03:10 PM
Doubt any of us know the first thing about him so no idea how we can judge his abilities.

:agree: Agree to a point but too much of a risk for us to take imo

WellingtonHibby
05-10-2010, 03:17 PM
Is this the same scenario in which Alan shearer cheerfully announced that "No-one knows much about the lad Ben Arfa..."

Just because we are ignorant of his abilities does not make him an unknown quantity. Obviously he has a track record which will be looked at, and a manner in which he conducts himself. If the board thinks he warrants a closer look, im on board too.

NORTHERNHIBBY
05-10-2010, 03:24 PM
thoughts?

I would have thought that the only currant manager was Walter Smith?:rolleyes:

superbam
05-10-2010, 03:25 PM
His record may look good in the irish league but in my opinion his success has been based largely on spending way more than his competitors - would be a big risk

TheBall'sRound
05-10-2010, 03:31 PM
Hibs have paid clubs compensation to get the last two managers.

While that's true, I have an inkling that the figures weren't too significant. Falkirk wanted rid and TPS, while not wanting to be too condescending, wouldn't be holding out for millions either.

There's a massive difference between allowing your manager to leave in the close season and in the middle of a season. The disruption, cost of finding a replacement and the fact that the transfer window isn't open again for 3 months would mean any fee would need to be at the "offer we can't refuse" end of the scale.

I just don't see that happening.

Aubenas
05-10-2010, 03:40 PM
Pat Fenlon has an excellent reputation and has done really well with Bohemians - but of course if posters haven't heard of him, he must be crap.

So, to recap:
No ex Hibees
No old hat journeymen
Nobody we haven't heard of
Nobody inexperienced
Nobody foreign
Nobody Scottish
Nobody ex Rangers
Nobody ex Hearts
Nobody from a lower division

Should be a cinch for Rod then - that narrows it down to about two possibilities I would have thought

Wilson
05-10-2010, 03:53 PM
Does he tick any of the following boxes?

An eye for a player?
Achieving results on a shoestring budget?
Reputation for bringing through young players?
Success in managing fans expectations and player egos in a pressured environment? (like it or not Yogi and Nish's digs at fans were not wholly unwarranted).
Noted for building a team that is exciting to watch?

I genuinely don't know but lets face it - having won a few games in Ireland just isn't enough of a CV to suggest a successful transition to manager of Hibernian.

M11BMO
05-10-2010, 04:32 PM
I didn't know too much about Tony Mowbray Re: his coaching/managerial abilities.

He turned out ok.

Keith_M
05-10-2010, 06:54 PM
Just because we are ignorant of his abilities does not make him an unknown quantity. .

What?!?!?

Please read that again and see for yourself why it doesn't make sense.

WindyMiller
05-10-2010, 06:59 PM
Never played or managed outside of Ireland. Doesn't rule him out but begs the question why his name crops up in so many posts. I've never heard of him.

I hope this answers your question.