PDA

View Full Version : Josh McEachran

Skanko79
05-10-2010, 10:57 AM
Apparantly eligable to play for Scotland.

Would be some coup fi potter if he pulled that off, canny see it though somehow. Seems a crackin wee player.

Walter
05-10-2010, 11:04 AM
Dont know him! Who does he play for?

Spudster
05-10-2010, 11:09 AM
Played 10mins of league football for Chelsea

Skanko79
05-10-2010, 11:09 AM
Dont know him! Who does he play for?

Hotly tipped youngster just breaking into the Chelsea team just now.

Walter
05-10-2010, 11:16 AM
any idea how likely he is to want to play for us?

easty
05-10-2010, 11:20 AM
or how likely it is that he is even eligible to play for us?

Skanko79
05-10-2010, 11:21 AM
His folks are from Coatbridge. Depends on how persuasive Potter is, or maybe even his old man for that matter. Hansen, Lineker and the MOTD mob were raving about him the other week.

Walter
05-10-2010, 11:24 AM
i would imagine his old man would be the biggest influence.

but ive been wrong before, hard as that is to beleive

PiemanP
05-10-2010, 11:25 AM
No way he'll play for scotland.

He's english (albeit he tried haggis once) and will quite possibly be playing in the english full team in the not so distant future...

Manxhibs
05-10-2010, 11:59 AM
The way that the English media are raving about this kid will unfortunately mean that the FA will already be sniffing around him to make sure he plays for England. I hope I am wrong mind.

sesoim
05-10-2010, 01:07 PM
If he is a good prospect then it would be great to get him, but frankly if he is English and England want him, that should be the end of the story.

I wouldn't want to be a hypocrite about this because, tbh, I've had a lot of things to say about McGeady and McCarthy (none of them nice!) so I can't expect English players to suddenly turn their back on their country of birth.

It would be good to turn a couple of Irish players into Scotland players just to get our revenge on Ireland though.:wink:

MacBean
05-10-2010, 02:14 PM
I would rather some Scottish Talent (ala Derek Riordan) got into the squad.

500miles
05-10-2010, 02:25 PM
If both of his parents are Scottish, then he may well consider himself so.

jdships
05-10-2010, 03:15 PM

He's english (albeit he tried haggis once) and will quite possibly be playing in the english full team in the not so distant future...

source ?:greengrin

HFC 0-7
05-10-2010, 03:38 PM
If he is a good prospect then it would be great to get him, but frankly if he is English and England want him, that should be the end of the story.

I wouldn't want to be a hypocrite about this because, tbh, I've had a lot of things to say about McGeady and McCarthy (none of them nice!) so I can't expect English players to suddenly turn their back on their country of birth.

It would be good to turn a couple of Irish players into Scotland players just to get our revenge on Ireland though.:wink:

Is his parents not scottish though? I would class myself as scottish if both my parents were scottish and I was only born in England.

KdyHby
05-10-2010, 03:44 PM
Is his parents not scottish though? I would class myself as scottish if both my parents were scottish and I was only born in England.

Here too. I was born in China to Scottish parents, I certainly wouldn't be considered to be Chinese....

Manxhibs
05-10-2010, 03:46 PM

I think the fact he was brought up in Oxford and will have English people around him at Chelsea, the likes of that knob Terry and fat frank, will mean he will one day play for 'cough' england

Neil4Hibs
05-10-2010, 03:50 PM
I was born in England to Scottish parents. I am Scottish.

Arch Stanton
05-10-2010, 03:50 PM

With tatties and neeps or deep fried with chips?

blackpoolhibs
05-10-2010, 04:07 PM
My kids were both born in St albans to a Scottish dad and an italian mother. They both think of themselves as Scottish Italian that had the misfortune of being born in England. A lot of that could be down to their parents? :wink:

ancienthibby
05-10-2010, 04:11 PM
The lad is no just Scottish, though - he's a teuchter!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Of course, he'll play for Scotland.:agree::agree::agree:

sunshine1875
05-10-2010, 04:36 PM
Looking at the reviews the guy is getting, it looks like he has a difficult decision.

http://footyfactor.com/9859/josh-mceachran-englands-great-hope.html

Continue to pledge his future to England having already played for them at U17 level (he helped them win the European Championship at the level) and possibly become the next Frank Lampard and the mega-bucks that will follow PLUS have the chance to play at the latter stages of the World Cup and Euro Championships, possibly (god help us no!) even win it.

Or pledge his future to Scotland, a place that he has probably rarely been, with a national team who were lucky to scrape a win against a bunch of doctors and joiners. FFS he might even get the chance to play in the same team as Broadfoot and Weir.

Easy choice, eh!

PISTOL1875
05-10-2010, 04:50 PM
Played 10mins of league football for Chelsea

I recently seen him when Chelski played Man City the other week.. Couldn't help but notice him.. Played infront on the back 4 and was constantly on the move looking for the ball.. Nothing fancy about his play.. Recieved the ball and played it to a team mate.. Kept it simple.. Could be a good move....

DC_Hibs
05-10-2010, 04:51 PM
Looking at the reviews the guy is getting, it looks like he has a difficult decision.

http://footyfactor.com/9859/josh-mceachran-englands-great-hope.html

Continue to pledge his future to England having already played for them at U17 level (he helped them win the European Championship at the level) and possibly become the next Frank Lampard and the mega-bucks that will follow PLUS have the chance to play at the latter stages of the World Cup and Euro Championships, possibly (god help us no!) even win it.

Or pledge his future to Scotland, a place that he has probably rarely been, with a national team who were lucky to scrape a win against a bunch of doctors and joiners. FFS he might even get the chance to play in the same team as Broadfoot and Weir.

Easy choice, eh!

Sounds about right.... alhough if the family is from Coatbridge surely he will be the next one pledging his future to the Republic?

sahib
05-10-2010, 06:25 PM
My kids were both born in St albans to a Scottish dad and an italian mother. They both think of themselves as Scottish Italian that had the misfortune of being born in England. A lot of that could be down to their parents? :wink:

The more I think about at the thorny question of nationality, the more I come to the conclusion that people are the nationality they think they are. If you know what I mean.

jdships
05-10-2010, 07:59 PM
I was born in England to Scottish parents. I am Scottish.

Me also and proud of it :thumbsup:
Having said that I was recently told by a senior SNP member that ".... because of that you do not have the right to call yourself a true Scot "

Baader
05-10-2010, 08:17 PM
May well be great if he turns out to opt for Scotland.

If Potter, however, selects some kid who has played about 4 games ahead of someone like Deek then I will lose the slight remaining interest I have in the national side...

Calvin
05-10-2010, 10:43 PM
Having said that I was recently told by a senior SNP member that ".... because of that you do not have the right to call yourself a true Scot "

Who said that? What a lot of nonsense.

My Mum was born in Kent to Scottish parents and moved back up within her first year on Earth. I have felt her wrath when calling her English. I have lived all my life in East Lothian and despite my place of birth being Aberdeen and it being irreversibly etched on my passport for the rest of my life, I don't consider myself Aberdonian!

I am very happy for any player with one parent at least who is Scottish to represent us. It's just the granny rule that I think is too tenuous to justify their supposed new nationality.

McEachran should definitely pick Scotland though. We will be able to pronounce his name much better than the English media!

hibsdaft
05-10-2010, 10:50 PM
The more I think about at the thorny question of nationality, the more I come to the conclusion that people are the nationality they think they are. If you know what I mean.

:agree: the proof will be in the pudding (i.e. who he chooses to play for).

Removed
05-10-2010, 10:55 PM

Aye. Macar was born in Sunderland to English parents and English grandparents but he thinks he's Scottish :Ummm:

Calvin
05-10-2010, 10:56 PM
Aye. Macar was born in Sunderland to English parents and English grandparents but he thinks he's Scottish :Ummm:

If people come to their own conclusion that they're Scottish then I'm quite happy, if they're told by Craig Levein that they're Scottish then I'm not convinced!

Saying that though, I'd prefer Macar to play for England.

Haymaker
06-10-2010, 12:20 AM
The boy is a top talent, I have seen him play youth level and he is a stand out. Now he is appearing for the Chelsea 1sts and as PISTOL said he has been doing a very simple job. He is a very intelligent player and knows he cannot come on for chelsea and try and walk past 5 players and try stick it in the top corner and he knows it. He is learning all the time and he will be a top player and is very down to earth.

I doubt he will play for scotland however.

Dashing Bob S
06-10-2010, 02:52 AM
We have to get with the project here. In the global media sportsworld, representing Scotland at Association Football is roughly about the status as representing Haiti at snowboarding.

Therefore it us beaten by the superiour attraction of representing England (akin to representing Grangemouth at shinty.)

cannastar
06-10-2010, 05:57 AM
his grandfather is john mceachran originally from campbeltown in argyll.agree he is a cracking player.

Neil4Hibs
06-10-2010, 08:47 AM

That really is ridiculous. We have traced our family tree back a couple of hundred years on both my fathers and mothers side. Every ancestor of mine in that time is Scottish and spent their lives in Scotland. My dad moved to England for work just before I was born. And I'm not a true Scot?

Mind you, I do get called a 'plastic Jock' down here quite a bit because of my accent, but only in fun.

HenryMonk
06-10-2010, 08:55 AM
although if the family is from Coatbridge surely he will be the next one pledging his future to the Republic?

:agree::agree::agree:

:taxi

Pretty Boy
06-10-2010, 09:15 AM
I was born in Germany and my birth registered in Dusseldorf because my old man was in the army and stationed there. I am Scottish.

Joe Baker II
06-10-2010, 04:21 PM
In the global media sportsworld, representing Scotland at Association Football is roughly about the status as representing Haiti at snowboarding.

Totally incorrect to state this btw.