PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Pest Repellers

iwasthere1972
05-10-2010, 09:59 AM
Are they any good and where do they sell them cheap in Edinburgh?

Had this little unwanted mouse coming in and out of the house (gets in somewhere in the kitchen as it appears and disappears under the washing machine) and for something so small it doesn't half do my head in. It's gone through half a packet of poisin in the past week but it's still alive. I'd be as well putting down cornflakes for it each morning.

Anyway I'm at the end of my tether with it and need to get the problem sorted. :grr:

Are pest repellers my best solution?

Thanks.

SlickShoes
05-10-2010, 05:33 PM
If you have one mouse you probably have more, i found this out about a year and a half ago.

First you want to try and find out where they are coming in, i found a hole in the wall the size of a 10p in my cupboard. I filled that hole and any others i could find with that foam spray that goes hard.

Then i put a trap down, got it in B&Q for about 15 quid and i caught an average of 1 a week for a while, its pretty gruesome but repellents dont really work at all.

Check for droppings and see what they are coming in to eat and try and move it, mine were attracted by an old selection box at the back of a cupboard i totally forgot about.

I even had a mouse electrocute itself on the back of my oven that totally stank but it was a massive relief when i had sealed all the holes and killed a bunch of them they stopped coming in, presumably because there brothers and sisters were going missing.

SlickShoes
05-10-2010, 05:34 PM
Oh and if you get a trap, put chocolate in it, they cant resist that, cheese doesnt really work at all.

s.a.m
05-10-2010, 09:55 PM
No useful advice for you, but you have my sympathy - we're overrun with the wee ********* at the moment too. Agree with Slickshoes - there's probably more than one, and you need to be persistent and vigilant.

iwasthere1972
05-10-2010, 10:59 PM
If you have one mouse you probably have more, i found this out about a year and a half ago.

First you want to try and find out where they are coming in, i found a hole in the wall the size of a 10p in my cupboard. I filled that hole and any others i could find with that foam spray that goes hard.

Then i put a trap down, got it in B&Q for about 15 quid and i caught an average of 1 a week for a while, its pretty gruesome but repellents dont really work at all.

Check for droppings and see what they are coming in to eat and try and move it, mine were attracted by an old selection box at the back of a cupboard i totally forgot about.

I even had a mouse electrocute itself on the back of my oven that totally stank but it was a massive relief when i had sealed all the holes and killed a bunch of them they stopped coming in, presumably because there brothers and sisters were going missing.

Oh and if you get a trap, put chocolate in it, they cant resist that, cheese doesnt really work at all.

No useful advice for you, but you have my sympathy - we're overrun with the wee ********* at the moment too. Agree with Slickshoes - there's probably more than one, and you need to be persistent and vigilant.

Thanks guys.

I had the same problem about 3 years ago so was prepared a little bit for it happening again. In fact I've been on "mouse red alert" ever since so no cupboards that it could access contained food. I know roughly where it (think there is only one but not sure) is coming in from but it's difficult to get to because it's behind a lower kitchen cupboard.

Today has been totally mental and the little booger has made more appearances than Nade. It's here, it's there, it's every ******* where. The last sighting was about 4pm so at least I've had a bit of a rest. I suspect that it's been having a very long siesta and am expecting it to scurry across the floor soon. The funny thing is that it's been in and out for the past fortnight and my daughter who lives with me hasn't seen it once. She probably thinks I am going senile. Maybe I am. :greengrin

Anyway I've read online reviews about pest repellers and a lot of people say they don't do the job that they state they do. One person said it appeared to attract more mice rather than get rid of them. I'm getting someone in to get to the source of the problem and block up any holes which fingers crossed should put an end to my unwanted visits.

I'm away now to watch my Mousehunt DVD. :cool2:

Thanks again. :agree:

SlickShoes
06-10-2010, 10:05 AM
Good luck with getting rid of them, i think if they had presisted with me my next move was getting someone in to get rid of them. We found the problem got worse as the weather got colder, they were nowhere to be seen in the summer since it was warm outside. Also found out my dog didnt care, he just watched one run across the floor and went back to sleep whereas i shat myself when i seen it!

If you can avoid trapping and killing them yourself then thats great, i hated emptying the trap it was manky!

HibeeB
06-10-2010, 11:30 AM
Are they any good and where do they sell them cheap in Edinburgh?

Had this little unwanted mouse coming in and out of the house (gets in somewhere in the kitchen as it appears and disappears under the washing machine) and for something so small it doesn't half do my head in. It's gone through half a packet of poisin in the past week but it's still alive. I'd be as well putting down cornflakes for it each morning.

Anyway I'm at the end of my tether with it and need to get the problem sorted. :grr:

Are pest repellers my best solution?

Thanks.

The best mouse repeller is a cat.

Even if you can borrow one for a while, the smell it leaves behind will turn your Dangermouse into a wee timorous beastie that you'll never see again :agree: