PDA

View Full Version : "Young up and coming" or "Same old, same old"

Hibbyradge
05-10-2010, 09:01 AM
I have no doubt that the Hibs job will interest a lot from managers with experience and past success.

Unfortunately, the salary we can offer won't come close to matching their aspirations.

Nevio Scala may well fancy a job in Scottish football after a couple of years idle, but he's not going to get out of bed for what we can offer.

What was Hughes on? £3k a week/£150k p.a. :dunno:

So, who can we attract?

Managers of clubs in lower leagues, managers in Ireland, assistant managers at other clubs who fancy trying their hand on their own and/or SPL journeymen who are currently out of contract.

That's the reality, imo. There is little point complaining that such and such is uninspiring, or that so and so is inexperienced.

We have no other options.

So, for me, given our current league placing, someone to steady the ship asap and get us back in the right half of the table is the priority.

The likes of Michael O'Neill, Pat Fenlon and even Derek McInness don't tick those boxes yet. If we take them on and they fail, we're sunk. Maybe in a couple of years, when we're stable again, we can take a risk, but not now.

Unfortunately, an uninspiring, safe pair of hands is what we need.

Tangoman probably heads that list.

matty_f
05-10-2010, 10:26 AM
I have no doubt that the Hibs job will interest a lot from managers with experience and past success.

Unfortunately, the salary we can offer won't come close to matching their aspirations.

Nevio Scala may well fancy a job in Scottish football after a couple of years idle, but he's not going to get out of bed for what we can offer.

What was Hughes on? £3k a week/£150k p.a. :dunno:

So, who can we attract?

Managers of clubs in lower leagues, managers in Ireland, assistant managers at other clubs who fancy trying their hand on their own and/or SPL journeymen who are currently out of contract.

That's the reality, imo. There is little point complaining that such and such is uninspiring, or that so and so is inexperienced.

We have no other options.

So, for me, given our current league placing, someone to steady the ship asap and get us back in the right half of the table is the priority.

The likes of Michael O'Neill, Pat Fenlon and even Derek McInness don't tick those boxes yet. If we take them on and they fail, we're sunk. Maybe in a couple of years, when we're stable again, we can take a risk, but not now.

Unfortunately, an uninspiring, safe pair of hands is what we need.

Tangoman probably heads that list.

I think we need to find the money (quite how, I'm not sure, but that's the board's job) to recruit the right man. If it means paying double what we paid Hughes, we do it.

If that means the board go out to businesses or people that we already have a relationship with and ask them to contribute, or if they come up with something that the fans can get involved with, whatever it is - it needs to be done.

This appointment has to end the run of a manager ever year and a half. The next manager should only leave us if a significantly bigger job comes up and he's headhunted for it.

If Scala is that man, then find the money. Be creative with what we offer - more points, more money - something like that. If he's successful he gets what he deserves. If he's not then we're not burdened with an expense we can't afford.

This managerial appointment is absolutely essential for the club. We are going backwards instead of forward and that situation has to be addressed now.

Hibbyradge
05-10-2010, 10:37 AM
I think we need to find the money (quite how, I'm not sure, but that's the board's job) to recruit the right man. If it means paying double what we paid Hughes, we do it.

If that means the board go out to businesses or people that we already have a relationship with and ask them to contribute, or if they come up with something that the fans can get involved with, whatever it is - it needs to be done.

This appointment has to end the run of a manager ever year and a half. The next manager should only leave us if a significantly bigger job comes up and he's headhunted for it.

If Scala is that man, then find the money. Be creative with what we offer - more points, more money - something like that. If he's successful he gets what he deserves. If he's not then we're not burdened with an expense we can't afford.

This managerial appointment is absolutely essential for the club. We are going backwards instead of forward and that situation has to be addressed now.

Ok. We need to go further into debt to do that and, yes, it's possible that we'll have to accept a little financial pain in the short term because of our predicament.

However, I can't think of a single football club who have successfully speculated to accumulate.

Also, re your "points for prizes" payment plan, I doubt many managers would want to rely on players performances to pick up their salary.

Some folk think the players have too much power now!

matty_f
05-10-2010, 10:39 AM
Ok. We need to go further into debt to do that and, yes, it's possible that we'll have to accept a little financial pain in the short term because of our predicament.

However, I can't think of a single football club who have successfully speculated to accumulate.

Also, re your "points for prizes" payment plan, I doubt many managers would want to rely on players performances to pick up their salary.

Some folk think the players have too much power now!

I never said we should go into debt for it, I said we should find a way to fund it - there's a difference.

I think a manager with confidence in his ability would be prepared to take a scalable pay, why not? So long as the minimum was an acceptable basic wage then it wouldn't be an issue.

I'd stick the players on similar contracts too, just so that everyone's got a vested interest in the team performing...:greengrin