PDA

View Full Version : Media Hibs warned off Michael O'neill

RickyS
05-10-2010, 12:36 AM
The Sun reporting us being warned off, but the last few sentences are a bit strange?

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3165143/Hibs-warned-off-Michael-ONeill.html

cabbageandribs1875
05-10-2010, 12:44 AM
The Sun reporting us being warned off, but the last few sentences are a bit strange?

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3165143/Hibs-warned-off-Michael-ONeill.html

i hope hibs heed the warning :agree: why is the last few sentences a bit strange ?

RickyS
05-10-2010, 12:46 AM
i hope hibs heed the warning :agree: why is the last few sentences a bit strange ?

the bit about a boozy night out after the game and Stack being spoken to by cops? whats that got to do with our manager hunt:confused:

cabbageandribs1875
05-10-2010, 12:49 AM
the bit about a boozy night out after the game and Stack being spoken to by cops? whats that got to do with our manager hunt:confused:

it's what papers do, it's just an 'add-on' ? it's better than it being a half-page scandal surely ? and lets be honest, there's no shortage of reports of hibs players being out on the lash the last few years(and that includes very close to playing an important game).

Prawn Sandwich
05-10-2010, 06:58 AM
A little mre background and detail in the Irish Indepedent.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/hoops-rubbish-oneill-switch-to-hibs-claims-ahead-of-title-sixpointer-2364602.html

An interesting quote that I am sure is only speculation "Some reports in Scotland said that the 41-year-old former Northern Ireland international had been lined up for the job even before John Hughes stepped down after a poor start to the season, which left the Easter Road outfit third from bottom in the SPL."

Ritchie
05-10-2010, 07:02 AM
Please please please... No o'neil!!!

GloryGlory
05-10-2010, 07:12 AM
A little mre background and detail in the Irish Indepedent.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/hoops-rubbish-oneill-switch-to-hibs-claims-ahead-of-title-sixpointer-2364602.html

An interesting quote that I am sure is only speculation "Some reports in Scotland said that the 41-year-old former Northern Ireland international had been lined up for the job even before John Hughes stepped down after a poor start to the season, which left the Easter Road outfit third from bottom in the SPL."

I'm sure this is just a newspaper quoting other newspapers' speculation, who in their turn are quoting other newspapers' speculation...

Spike Mandela
05-10-2010, 08:45 AM

I'm sure if message boards had been invented at the time there would have been someone on an Aberdeen messageboard saying "Please god no Alex Ferguson!!!!!!":greengrin

Phil MaGlass
05-10-2010, 08:57 AM
You cant please everybody.

brog
05-10-2010, 09:22 AM

Michael O'Neill is an intelligent, articulate & passionate man with a near 25 year background in professional football, 20 as a player & 4 as a manager. He has an outstanding football pedigree, 33 caps for NI & has huge experience of Scottish football both as a player & a manager. He's been an outstanding success in his 2 managerial positions. He's also served under & learned from at least a dozen different managers but he played more games & scored more goals for Hibs than any other club. He retains close links with Edinburgh ( & Leith ) & has a great affection for Hibs.
Why on earth would we not want him as a manager?
PS, in case I sound like M O'N's agent my first choice of manager would actually be Terry Butcher but I would welcome "Micky" with open arms. My big fear is we go for one of the weegie mafia, eg Calderwood, McPherson etc who lead us down the Blobby route - never again hopefully!

--------
05-10-2010, 10:01 AM
Michael O'Neill is an intelligent, articulate & passionate man with a near 25 year background in professional football, 20 as a player & 4 as a manager. He has an outstanding football pedigree, 33 caps for NI & has huge experience of Scottish football both as a player & a manager. He's been an outstanding success in his 2 managerial positions. He's also served under & learned from at least a dozen different managers but he played more games & scored more goals for Hibs than any other club. He retains close links with Edinburgh ( & Leith ) & has a great affection for Hibs.

PS, in case I sound like M O'N's agent my first choice of manager would actually be Terry Butcher but I would welcome "Micky" with open arms. My big fear is we go for one of the weegie mafia, eg Calderwood, McPherson etc who lead us down the Blobby route - never again hopefully!

:top marks I'd have no problem with either O'Neill or Butcher. :agree:

Wilson
05-10-2010, 10:21 AM

Most candidates for the job will have a lengthy background in professional football and some experience as a manager. These aren't traits which can only be found in MON. Intelligence and being articulate are desirable but a passion for the game should be a given. He has been a success as manager but not at SPL level and his successes don't necessarily relate to the 'challenges' that the Hibs job will provide. Games, goals, ties, affection for Hibs are all nice but don't provide any real managerial advantage.

His pedigree is comparable with Yogi's or Mixu's. What is there to indicate that he is better placed to have more joy than either?

I can see why his name is being mentioned but I don't think it would be touted as strongly if he weren't a former Hibs player.

Hibby Kay-Yay
05-10-2010, 10:28 AM
Most candidates for the job will have a lengthy background in professional football and some experience as a manager. These aren't traits which can only be found in MON. Intelligence and being articulate are desirable but a passion for the game should be a given. He has been a success as manager but not at SPL level and his successes don't necessarily relate to the 'challenges' that the Hibs job will provide. Games, goals, ties, affection for Hibs are all nice but don't provide any real managerial advantage.

His pedigree is comparable with Yogi's or Mixu's. What is there to indicate that he is better placed to have more joy than either?

I can see why his name is being mentioned but I don't think it would be touted as strongly if he weren't a former Hibs player.

What candidates does that leave us with then?

Aubenas
05-10-2010, 10:49 AM

:top marks Says it all. It's absolutely daft to link a manager's ability with whether or not he's goit a Hibs connection - either way. Saying we want someone who didn't play for Hibs is just as daft as saying we want a former player - unless someone reckons that Sauzee, Mixu, Collins and Yogi were all less efficient as managers solely cos they used to play for us