PDA

View Full Version : Nevio Scala?

El Gubbz
04-10-2010, 11:30 PM
http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Nevio-Scala-quick-to-throw.6565156.jp?

steakbake
04-10-2010, 11:33 PM
Oh ya beauty.

Diclonius
04-10-2010, 11:34 PM
Sounds decent.

Hibernian Verse
04-10-2010, 11:35 PM
In a heartbeat.

surreyhibbie
04-10-2010, 11:35 PM
Is this for real?:confused:

1875godsgift
04-10-2010, 11:39 PM
Is this for real?:confused:
:grr: Petrie :grr:
Get him signed quick! While he's still pished! :grr:

CB_NO3
Give him a decent wage and lets do it. The players would thrive under a manager like him.

bob12345
Fair play to him for doing a bit of background research, but I reckon he probably puts his hat into the ring for every premier league job going.

Hibernian Verse
04-10-2010, 11:40 PM
Think of the contacts he must have in football, we could be in for a winner...where does he live? I'll just go start the car...Aberdeen to the continent isn't that far is it? :greengrin

Dr_Regal
04-10-2010, 11:42 PM
Search over.

Wait till he finds out the transfer budget.

HibeeSince85
04-10-2010, 11:44 PM
Without a doubt in my eyes, he has the experience and with some big clubs.

Deal, done. Dusted. Rod please!

surreyhibbie
04-10-2010, 11:45 PM
Search over.

Wait till he finds out the transfer budget.

So get him over to look at the setup. He brings youngsters through so lob in a couple of million for experienced prosto complement them and we're off!

Cool_Hand_Luke
04-10-2010, 11:49 PM
Was also in for the Hearts job at one point....

Nevio Scala - Hearts (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/heart_of_midlothian/4880988.stm)

Hibernian Verse
04-10-2010, 11:52 PM
Was also in for the Hearts job at one point....

Nevio Scala - Hearts (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/heart_of_midlothian/4880988.stm)

That just adds to the numerous reasons we should get him.

"I think I have enough experience for this job. I took Dortmund to the semi-finals of the Champions League."

Peevemor
04-10-2010, 11:52 PM
Crikey!

Ryan91
04-10-2010, 11:54 PM
'Scuse me while I go and drool at the thought of Scala managing Hibs.

SteveHFC
04-10-2010, 11:55 PM
:pray::pray:

blaikie
04-10-2010, 11:55 PM
Good experience, but he has been without a coaching job since 2004?

Hibernian Verse
04-10-2010, 11:56 PM
Good experience, but he has been without a coaching job since 2004?

I know, hopefully he's been playing Football Manager since then.

crewetollhibee
04-10-2010, 11:58 PM
Get him signed quick! While he's still pished! :grr:
Woke the wife up laughing at that !!! :top marks

Saorsa
04-10-2010, 11:59 PM
Get him signed quick! While he's still pished! :grr::greengrin

El Gubbz
05-10-2010, 12:00 AM
I know, hopefully he's been playing Football Manager since then.

If football manager is involved then surely I'm the right man for the job! Semi finals with dortmund is nothing compared to winning it with hibs

bob12345
05-10-2010, 12:00 AM
That just adds to the numerous reasons we should get him.

"I think I have enough experience for this job. I took Dortmund to the semi-finals of the Champions League."

Well that's not going to do much when the team in question are looking to win the competition!

Kaiser_Sauzee
05-10-2010, 12:01 AM
Paw Broon was pulled out of the wilderness. Why not Scala. Although, why has he not had a job for so long?

Hibernian Verse
05-10-2010, 12:02 AM
Paw Broon was pulled out of the wilderness. Why not Scala. Although, why has he not had a job for so long?

He was waiting on the right time to join Hibs. Next :greengrin

steakbake
05-10-2010, 12:10 AM
Why would someone of Scala's standing want to manage Hibs? Well, he may use us as a stepping stone after a couple of seasons. I have no problem with that in this case. An appointment of someone like this would set the bar very high for any future replacement. This kind of name would take things to a new level entirely.

El Gubbz
05-10-2010, 12:13 AM
Why would someone of Scala's standing want to manage Hibs? Well, he may use us as a stepping stone after a couple of seasons. I have no problem with that in this case. An appointment of someone like this would set the bar very high for any future replacement. This kind of name would take things to a new level entirely.

Some sweetie money before he retires in a "beautiful" city

steakbake
05-10-2010, 12:15 AM
Maybe he's heard about our excellent nitelife?

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-10-2010, 12:18 AM
How good would this be?!! I'd be hugely surprised, but, everything is crossed!

RickyS
05-10-2010, 12:30 AM
How good would this be?!! I'd be hugely surprised, but, everything is crossed!

"the Hibernian chairman can call me " in ****in Italy! it would need to be reverse charges:greengrin

broonie27
05-10-2010, 12:39 AM

My sentiments exactly. He's always getting mentioned for managerial jobs but never gets the gig, why is that?

Lofarl
05-10-2010, 12:43 AM
Because he has a cushy job as a pundit I reckon. More about him here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nevio_Scala

LeithBoozy
05-10-2010, 01:00 AM
The guy would command respect as he has managed at a very high level. How good would It be to have someone of his experience coaching our young lads. I dont think any smart-erse player would last long with him either. Make It happen Rod, yes ok he wont be cheep but I could see It paying big dividends In the long run.:wink::agree::greengrin:thumbsup:

AgentDaleCooper
05-10-2010, 01:03 AM
experience - check

track record at bringing through world class youngsters - check

excellent record in european competition - check

has dealt with big names, so can deal with big egos - check

i'm salivating.

basehibby
05-10-2010, 01:11 AM
I was just reflecting that we could do with experience as opposed to promise in our next manager and then I log on to see this!

I concur with 1875godsgift - get him signed while he's still pished !

500miles
05-10-2010, 02:13 AM
There's more chance of my boaby growing arms and legs and being paraded as the next Hibs manager than Scala.

Any particular reason he would currently benefit from a bit of media exposure at this time? How many jobs has he "thrown his hat into the ring" for?

Dashing Bob S
05-10-2010, 02:37 AM
If sexual organs and the ability to work with youth are the criteria, then Graham Rix's ***** will be be the next Hibs manager.

brydekirk
05-10-2010, 08:01 AM
this would be the lift everybody involved with hibs needs. :greengrin

Spike Mandela
05-10-2010, 08:06 AM
Does he have an extensive knowledge of Falkirks former players?

He is unlikely to have many contacts in the game is he:devil:

Chuckie
05-10-2010, 08:09 AM
Definitely Hibs class...

bighairyfaeleith
05-10-2010, 08:15 AM
I want a brazilian manager, italy is never hibs class!!!

Pretty Boy
05-10-2010, 08:18 AM
Theres just no way i'll be able to keep a straight face when i hear an Italian come out with the traditional Hibs soundbite- 'I want to play quick, passing, attacking football'.

SlickShoes
05-10-2010, 08:25 AM
I thought he was the hearts manager?

Aldo
05-10-2010, 08:31 AM
Wealth of experience however I do fear he is out of reach due to his wage demands???? Would love to see him at ER.

You never know though rodders may pull someone out of the bag like him and surprise us all??

heretoday
05-10-2010, 08:34 AM
This sounds too good to be true. Do you think he could persuade Cannavaro to do a shift for us? I'd like to see him setting about the Huns!

essexhibee
05-10-2010, 08:37 AM
This would be unreal managerial signing.

Doubt it will happen but if it did would be brilliant.

Calderwood or Scala? Hmmmm :wink:

matty_f
05-10-2010, 08:46 AM
He's wasting his time - Craig Brown is the only option.:agree:

Seriously, though - in a heartbeat. Petrie, get on the blower and get him signed!

jonny
05-10-2010, 09:14 AM
It sounds a bit like a fantasy to me at the moment but if he was appointed someone would have to scrape me off my ceiling.
With all the names that are being thrown about at the moment such as Calderwood, O'Neill, Mowbray etc Scala is an absolute stand out for me.

OPen your cheque book Rod and get on the phone.

J-C
05-10-2010, 09:21 AM
He's probably earned plenty in his many years of managing the bigger clubs, looks like he wants to come to Edinburgh rather than purely just for Hibs but who cares, the guy's got pedigree and won't stand for any nonsense from the dressing room bad boys, sign him up asap. :thumbsup:

keep the faith
05-10-2010, 09:25 AM
Dont want to put a dampner on this, but I have read this article several times before over the last few years but with the words "hearts" and "scotland" replacing the Hibs bit.

Phil MaGlass
05-10-2010, 09:27 AM
As I have mentioned earlier, if he is wanting back into fitba I honestly dont think wages would be a stumbling block as I dont think he would have high wage demands,or am I being naieve?

Oh aye I can just hear it now "I am wanting the Hibernian to play the Italian way" basta.

Albanian Hibs
05-10-2010, 09:27 AM
:drool: yes please

Jack
05-10-2010, 09:47 AM
I suspect he’d never heard of Hibs before some random reporter mentioned we existed.

Does he speak English? Ah hae ma doots :cool2:

lucky
05-10-2010, 09:51 AM
I suspect he’d never heard of Hibs before some random reporter mentioned we existed.

Does he speak English? Ah hae ma doots :cool2:

Agree about the reporter but communication skills have never been a prerequisite of previous Hibs managers.

Hibbyradge
05-10-2010, 10:11 AM
Dont want to put a dampner on this, but I have read this article several times before over the last few years but with the words "hearts" and "scotland" replacing the Hibs bit.

Add Australia to that list.

The_Todd
05-10-2010, 10:16 AM
This is one of those moments:

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00033/ed_imgSNF18SPDA_435_33895a.jpg

Not so sure it'll happen, mind.

SouthMoroccoStu
05-10-2010, 10:20 AM
oh go on then!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

LancashireHibby
05-10-2010, 10:25 AM
Please let this be true!!

Walter
05-10-2010, 11:05 AM
This would be a dream come true, theplayers couldnt help but look up to him and he wouldnt take any *****

Manxhibs
05-10-2010, 11:56 AM
I would be absolutely delighted if Scala got the nod. If not him then Steve Clarke would be another outstanding appointment. GGTTH!!

Jim44
05-10-2010, 12:01 PM
I honestly feel embarrassed at some of the 'drooling' comments on this thread. This geezer who is in the managerial wilderness who for some reason can't get a job will simply be carrying out the routine necessity of 'being seen' to be applying for managerial post. C'mon lads, steady up, there's no way he will be serious.

blackpoolhibs
05-10-2010, 12:02 PM
I don't know a lot about him, although he has managed some huge teams compared to us. He's thrown his hat in the ring it seems, i wonder if he knows what we pay, and would he even think about coming when he finds out?

--------
05-10-2010, 12:03 PM
I honestly feel embarrassed at some of the 'drooling' comments on this thread. This geezer who is in the managerial wilderness who for some reason can't get a job will simply be carrying out the routine necessity of 'being seen' to be applying for managerial post. C'mon lads, steady up, there's no way he will be serious.

:agree: What you said, Jim.

alanhall69
05-10-2010, 12:05 PM
nevio scala speaks scotttish ?? as worked with Paul Lambert at Dortmund
would love to have this guy as manager but could we afford him
what about Paul Lambert

steakbake
05-10-2010, 12:05 PM

Maybe the Job Seekers Allowance people are getting on to him?

In all seriousness though, which would you prefer, some manager who has a limited track record dabbling in the SPL or other similar standing of league or someone who has managed in European football with a proven track record of polishing a few turds?

steakbake
05-10-2010, 12:06 PM
nevio scala speaks scotttish ?? as worked with Paul Lambert at Dortmund
would love to have this guy as manager but could we afford him
what about Paul Lambert

Norwich are flying high. I can't see Paul Lambert wanting to leave a club like Norwich to come to Hibs. It would be, I regret to call it, a backward step in terms of potential.

He could be an EPL manager next year...

Gatecrasher
05-10-2010, 12:43 PM
im sure this guy has tried to whore himself to every managers job for the last couple of years.

It looks good on paper but there must be a reason as to why no one wants him :confused:

sesoim
05-10-2010, 01:14 PM
I don't know a lot about him, although he has managed some huge teams compared to us. He's thrown his hat in the ring it seems, i wonder if he knows what we pay, and would he even think about coming when he finds out?

:agree: That's the problem with big names. Some of them have their head in the clouds. But if he has done his research on Hibs and is still interested, he is one of the "out of the box" types we should consider.

My only concern is that foreign managers might take a while to assess the SPL and work out how to win games here. It could be easy for them, but then again I thought Sauzee would be great (although part of me still does now - if he had had an experienced Scottish sidekick).

Part/Time Supporter
05-10-2010, 01:16 PM
Embarrassing and fantastic (in the fantasy sense, not the good).

He's never lasted more than a year with any club since leaving Parma and hasn't coached at all since 2004.

sesoim
05-10-2010, 01:27 PM

To be fair, if George Graham (or even Terry Venables, Kevin Keegan or Graeme Souness) became interested, I think most Hibs fans would be excited. Most ex-managers don't really need to work, they just occasionally enjoy the right challenge.

I've just looked at this guys record though and he hasn't lasted at any club since 1996. I don't think we should be blinded by the fact that he used to be famous or that he is Italian or so on. There are guys with better records in Scotland (ie no flops).

But it is easy to get excited when a big name continental coach becomes interested. And could he attract a few ageing pro's in the Sauzee mould here? If so, this might be the kind of kick up the arse the club needs.

Speedway
05-10-2010, 01:51 PM
To be fair to Scala, he's thrown his ring into the hat and if Petrie likes the look of his ring, he could give him a ring.

MacBean
05-10-2010, 02:05 PM
To be fair to Scala, he's thrown his ring into the hat and if Petrie likes the look of his ring, he could give him a ring.

:asshole:

What are you suggesting about oor Rod? :greengrin

Giant_Midget
05-10-2010, 02:09 PM
He was linked with 'them' several times in the last five years - I think he never got that job is he cant speak English?!

Load of balls, dont get excited.

The_Todd
05-10-2010, 02:22 PM
He was linked with 'them' several times in the last five years - I think he never got that job is he cant speak English?!

Aye instead they plumped for that master of the English Language Eddie Malofeev.

LeithBoozy
05-10-2010, 03:24 PM
Maybe Its Edinburgh he Is in love with ? who cares the guy has expressed an Intrest so It would only take a 10min phone call from Rod to find out If he Is In our price range then take It from there. Scala is the sort of signing to get the fans Bouncing again. :wink:

jonny
05-10-2010, 03:53 PM

He is quoted in one of the articles I read as saying he can speak English. I'm not sure Romanov would employ a manager that he cant utilise as a puppet - perhaps that's why he never went there.
Although I don't think there is any real possibility of us recruiting him, if we were to I'd be extremely pleased. A completely different approach is what we need IMO.

Giant_Midget
05-10-2010, 03:57 PM
He is quoted in one of the articles I read as saying he can speak English. I'm not sure Romanov would employ a manager that he cant utilise as a puppet - perhaps that's why he never went there.
Although I don't think there is any real possibility of us recruiting him, if we were to I'd be extremely pleased. A completely different approach is what we need IMO.Fair call!

I still dont think he is a viable option - been out the game for donkeys, apart from his spell with Parma which was very very good...he only seems to last a short while in jobs....we need someone for the long haul.

HibeeMcGinn1
05-10-2010, 04:28 PM
If he was seriously up for talking to Petrie I dont see any reason why he wouldnt just make a wee cheeky call to Italy. Other than the phone bill what is The Tache waiting for?
Great manager and experience with working with youngsters (not like CT).

Oh and Mr Petrie...no compensation needed :greengrin

hibee92
05-10-2010, 04:30 PM
If Nevio Scala becomes our managed i will personally sit in a bath of baked beans outside easter road on matchday... after he wins us the title :greengrin:devil:

HibbyAndy
05-10-2010, 04:34 PM
If Nevio Scala becomes our managed i will personally sit in a bath of baked beans outside easter road on matchday... after he wins us the title :greengrin:devil:

Am remembering this post :greengrin

I want Evans :cool2:

lucky
05-10-2010, 04:38 PM
The Tache will no doubt have insider knowledge on him. But he does seem to get linked with every job. He is the Italian Stuart Baxter. But there must be a reason why no one employs him.

HibeeMcGinn1
05-10-2010, 04:43 PM
If Nevio Scala becomes our managed i will personally sit in a bath of baked beans outside easter road on matchday:greengrin

aye?

Am remembering this post :greengrin

I want Evans :cool2:

So will I, I'm his brother :wink:

Wilbur
05-10-2010, 07:21 PM
Just imagine his excitement at the prospect of working with such 'stars' as John Rankin and Edwin De Graff, surely thats his main reason for being interested in the Hibees job? I don't see this appointment happening, but i'd certainly welcome him. :thumbsup:

PeeJay
05-10-2010, 07:33 PM
I've just looked at this guys record though and he hasn't lasted at any club since 1996. I don't think we should be blinded by the fact that he used to be famous or that he is Italian or so on. There are guys with better records in Scotland (ie no flops).

Flops? - He was manager of Parma when they won the European Cup Winners Cup 1993, and the Uefa Cup 1995: what managers in Scotland have better records than that?

God Petrie
05-10-2010, 08:29 PM
Get him in!

FORZA ITALIA

Nakedmanoncrack
05-10-2010, 08:40 PM

:agree:
I honestly thought the drooling cemments were a wind up until realising that people were serious!

leithsansiro
05-10-2010, 08:45 PM
He hasn't worked for six years. Clearly, there's a reason.:rolleyes:

Black Kyle
05-10-2010, 09:34 PM
Please, let's not join the ranks of the deluded..........

NAE NOOKIE
05-10-2010, 09:44 PM
Erm! .... Dunno about this one at all, but looking at his past clubs etc he must be in with a shout even if he has been on holiday for 6 years.

If he isnt serious why did he bother saying anything at all.

Looking at all the other candidates he is likely to have the best contacts and if the players cant respect him we should ship the lot of them to delusional big heid utd.

Cant think of anybody out there who has my green & white heart racing at the prospect of them managing the Hibees, so perhaps we should take a chance.

At least he has never supported the club or played for it and he isnt an untried long shot in the experience department.

HibeeMcGinn1
05-10-2010, 09:46 PM
Please, let's not join the ranks of the deluded..........

Surely if the man has quoted that he would be interested in the job we arnt being deluded.

Jones28
05-10-2010, 10:13 PM
:pray:

BurghHibby
05-10-2010, 10:55 PM
He hasn't worked for six years. Clearly, there's a reason.:rolleyes:

Yeah he's got Alzheimer's, it's OK though he'll have forgot that he fancied the job by tomorrow.
Next it will be Teeside is such a lovely part of England and I've always wanted to manage there!
:wink:

Keith_M
06-10-2010, 08:38 PM
You must admit, this (http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Nevio-Scala-quick-to-throw.6565156.jp) is quite good.

:greengrin

Any thought's?

:dunno:

Disco Dave
06-10-2010, 08:56 PM
You must admit, this (http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Nevio-Scala-quick-to-throw.6565156.jp) is quite good.

Any thought's?

:dunno:

Rodder's :greengrin

Hibbyradge
06-10-2010, 08:57 PM
http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?194259-Nevio-Scala

alex74
06-10-2010, 08:59 PM

Any thought's?

:dunno:tiptop m8 surely cant be true :grr:

Albion Hibs
06-10-2010, 09:00 PM
With some of the names in the hat I am going to have to take back my comments but Sir Alex and Jose soon!

.Sean.
06-10-2010, 09:05 PM
Of course I have heard of Scala but, and please excuse my ignorance, what top manager from the present would you compare to Scala when he was 'in his prime?'

Peevemor
06-10-2010, 09:18 PM
Of course I have heard of Scala but, and please excuse my ignorance, what top manager from the present would you compare to Scala when he was 'in his prime?'

A cross between Yogi & Mixu. :agree:

.Sean.
06-10-2010, 09:25 PM
A cross between Yogi & Mixu. :agree:
So half Finnish, half Scottish, balding and a bit chubby?

HibeeSince82
07-10-2010, 01:11 PM
That would be amazing if he would come manage Hibs!:agree:

Hainan Hibs
07-10-2010, 01:55 PM
Quite shocked at the amount of chugging off that is going on over Scala, the guy whores himself out to just about every job on the market.

Potential managers who mouth off in the press rarely get selected so thankfully I can't see it happening.