PDA

View Full Version : Stability..........not at this address

allmodcons
04-10-2010, 12:59 PM
Will the board at Hibs realise that whoever comes in as next manager will need a minimum of 24 months to prove himself ?

Our club is joke. Beautiful stadium, good set of books, etc but absolutely no continuity whatsoever on the managerial front.

Next appointment will be our 7th manager in 8 years.

Will he be given the time and support required to take our club forward and improve fortunes on the park ?

Personally speaking, I doubt it !

Speedway
04-10-2010, 01:08 PM
Well fit, The Hibs.

Beautiful house, lovely pair of books, decent legs, tight erse (Chairman) a bit easy at times, can last for at least 60 minutes, wide open spaces and a doddle to get in.

I'd ask her out. Rates herself though. Fit, but she knows it.

Elephant Stone
04-10-2010, 01:09 PM
Will the board at Hibs realise that whoever comes in as next manager will need a minimum of 24 months to prove himself ?

Our club is joke. Beautiful stadium, good set of books, etc but absolutely no continuity whatsoever on the managerial front.

Will he be given the time and support required to take our club forward and improve fortunes on the park ?

Did you want Hughes to stay?

Pretty Boy
04-10-2010, 01:09 PM

I think if a manager comes in and proves we are moving in the right direction then he will be given adequate time. By proving we are moving in the right direction i mean with decent performances on the park and a few good results, i don't mean talking a good game in the press.

I wholeheartedly agree that a new man needs time but inevitably football is a results ased business and if we are in the same position at this time next year it's only realistic to look at the situation. Given a manager time is important but there is absolutely no sense in giving the wrong man more and more time regardless of what has gone before.

I think a lot of the criticism aimed at the board with regards to the short term appointments is unjustified. Going back to Blobby, he resigned to take another job, Mowbray likewise and Collins also resigned. The last 2 admittedly have both been 'mutually consented'. I'm not saying all these appointments have been the right one but it's not like the board are trigger happy when it comes to sacking bosses.

Beefster
04-10-2010, 01:10 PM

We, as a support, are going to have to realise that too. As I said on the PM Board earlier, the next manager is inheriting a bigger shambles than any manager has since Williamson took over. It's going to take time to fix.

(((Fergus)))
04-10-2010, 01:15 PM

1 Hughes - left by mutual consent
2 Mixu - ditto
3 Collins - resigned,
4 Mowbray - resigned to manage west brom
5 Williamson - resigned to manage plymoth
6 Sauzee - sacked
7 McLeish - resigned to manage rangers

So out of the past seven, only three have left because they were not up to the job. The majority asked to go.

We have to accept that not all people are capable of managing Hibs. A good manager will have an immediate impact on a club, e.g., Grandpa Broon.

Disc O'Dave
04-10-2010, 01:18 PM
It's a bit of a no-win though, isn't it?

A manager doing poorly after 18 months will get binned (a la Hughes, Mixu)

A manager doing well after 18 months will likely be poached (a la Mowbray, McLeish)

So the someone keeping us in the kind of "lower top 6 area" is the only way I can see the next manager lasting over two years. Unless they had an emotional attachment to the club...but perhaps that's the gamble Petrie has already tried and failed with......

SlickShoes
04-10-2010, 01:20 PM
I would say Yogi was going to get his two years to turn hibs around or at least have us heading in the correct direction.

HOWEVER, 4 wins in 29 games is not form thats showing any sort of turnaround apart from heading to Div1.

We got put out of europe right away, league cup out, and 1 win in 7 league games this season.

maybe if we had another win in the league and were still in the cup he would still be here but the form was THAT BAD there was no alternative.

Jack
04-10-2010, 01:25 PM

I would have loved Yogi to have been given the opportunity to manage Hibs for a minimum of 24 months, even 5 years as he himself alluded to in his early days.

There's got to be a line drawn somewhere though and this current run of piss poor form could not be allowed to continue.

ScottB
04-10-2010, 01:56 PM
We need to be realistic here.

Yes, don't get me wrong, it would be great to keep a (quality) manager for 3, 4 or even 5 years. But just as with players it's not likely to happen.

Now, desireing stability and continuity is all well and good, but that doesn't mean you keep someone in a job they aren't performing at for the sake of it. Hughes' record sadly wasn't good enough, so he had to go. That is good management of the club.

I think we need to accept the reality of having a manager for 2 - 3 seasons max; if they are good they will undoubtedly go elsewhere in that timeframe, and it's more than enough time to figure out someone isn't good enough. Perhaps the club need to look at having a football minded executive on the Board to try and ensure some continuity on the football side, but the days of us keeping a manager worth having for years on end are over.

allmodcons
04-10-2010, 02:25 PM
Did you want Hughes to stay?

Frankly, I'm not sure.

I can't think of a (realistic) replacement for Yogi who fills me with confidence.

I'll give you an answer when I know who his replacement is going to be :confused:

monktonharp
04-10-2010, 03:33 PM
Frankly, I'm not sure.

I can't think of a (realistic) replacement for Yogi who fills me with confidence.

I'll give you an answer when I know who his replacement is going to be :confused: c'mon now, it's a simple question,did you want him to stay,or put another way.........did you want to see the continual downward spiral of Hibernian fc? we all know that a new manager,whoever he might be,is not an immediate fix but something had to give,as we are hemmoraging at an alarming rate,in terms of attendance alone.

allmodcons
04-10-2010, 07:32 PM
c'mon now, it's a simple question,did you want him to stay,or put another way.........did you want to see the continual downward spiral of Hibernian fc? we all know that a new manager,whoever he might be,is not an immediate fix but something had to give,as we are hemmoraging at an alarming rate,in terms of attendance alone.

Not as easy as saying stay or go MH.

You've got to have a plan B.

Put it this way, if we get someone of the calibre of Derek McInnes or even Derek Adams I'll be pleased Yogi's gone.

If we get Jimmy Calderwood, god forbid, then IMO we'll have made a big mistake.

EasterRoad4Ever
04-10-2010, 07:35 PM

I agree, for at the first signs of any success the media will have him punted to the OF as their next manager. The only way Hibs will retain a manager will be if they are in region 5-7th in SPL. Anything outwith that and he's gone.

Moody D
04-10-2010, 07:50 PM
15 months - that was the length of time for the board to realise they made a mistake and take action before irreversible damage was done. Hughes has been spouting make believe since day 1.
I love to give youth a chance - Rubbish Wotherspoon only one. BIG MISTAKE
I only play those who give 100% at training - Rubbish players who were worst trainers were first in team line up. BIG MISTAKE
I won't stand for any nonsense - if they don't want to play for Hibernian then they won't be here long - Rubbish - Bamba - BIG MISTAKE
People think I'm a joker, I'm not I like to think of myself as a "thinker" - O M G!
Fitba folk can see what I'm doing here - Hibs fans can't MASSIVE MISTAKE!
Hibs fans expect too much like beating Inverness or Hamilton at home - EVEN MORE MASSIVE MISTAKE!
I could go on but for any of you in any doubt Hughes had to go

BroxburnHibee
04-10-2010, 08:51 PM
8 managers in 12 years.............no wonder the club is a mess.

RP/SL need to get the next one right or it will be them in the firing line.

Shocking statistic - how we can dare rip the yams about their record is laughable.

Houchy
04-10-2010, 08:57 PM
8 managers in 12 years.............no wonder the club is a mess.

RP/SL need to get the next one right or it will be them in the firing line.

Shocking statistic - how we can dare rip the yams about their record is laughable.

Someone told me last week that since Vlad took over at Tynie, (if we sacked Yogi) we will have had the same number of managers through our revolving doors as the Yams have had.:agree:

I don't know the actual numbers but we can't be far off.

Kevvy1875
04-10-2010, 09:00 PM
Not another board hating thread......yawn.

Seems like now that Yogi is gone some people need someone new to blame.

Hibs have no god given right to anything. We will have our good spells and bad spells and that a fact of being a mdium sized club like we are. Ups and downs, just roll with it.

The board have done a fantastic job. All they can do is appoint a guy to ensure the playing side is decent and they choose the best guy at the time...what else do you suppose they do? If it dosn't work out then you address the problem and move on.

truehibernian
04-10-2010, 09:25 PM
You could also look at it with another spin and equate football management to performance related pay. You win, you keep your job. You show signs of progress, have a good product to work with and enhance, you keep your job. You lose as many games as we have, lose the dressing room and respect of certain first team players, you lose your job.........it really is simple.

Football, like any sport, is a different environment to that of any other profession. Hughes had to go. There is (sadly) no room for sentiment or romanticised "obituary". His football team was poor, his tactics (or lack of) plain to see. His shocking decision making in games baffling, and his rhetoric boring.

Yes there have been many managers. TM and McLeish were "headhunted", so the Board got the best they could to compensate. Mixu walked citing lack of support/funds to finance his plans. Yet his results and product did not set the heather on fire. JC had all the attributes to make a good manager, sadly not in a "pie eating, gambling, lets play golf and go for a few beers" culture of the SPL. Player power and the Board giving in signed his death warrant at Hibernian.

Williamson and Duffy were poor and their product was terrible.

So why the fuss and furore about the amount of managers ? They did not perform, so they know the cut-throat nature of the business. Do I want 5 years of mediocrity under a "settled" manager, or do I want a manager to prove his worth season by season. The latter please. The structure of the club and the youth development side are covered and superbly run. At the sharp end, the first team, I want success, winning mentality and above all results. As a paying fan I am not in the least concerned if we are getting rid of managers who are poor and failing the side.

Yes in an ideal world we would employ a candidate that got exciting football back at ER, gave youth a real chance, had the guys fighting fit and hungry. But you get what you pay for even in management. Hughes was a Falkirk manager and we got Falkirk performances week in week out. If we employed a Mourinho would we see results and football improve. Absolutely, because he is a "true" winner, an intelligent football man, one who has genuinely studied the game in various countries and learned from the best.

Very interesting to see the bookies give odds on Henrik Larsson and Stevie Clarke. They would fit the mould for me. Worked with the best, the work shy would be found out, the professionalism drummed into them, and more importantly the respect would be dripping off the walls. That is where we should be looking IMHO. The bully boy management style, the "roll the sleeves up" mentality maybe fine for the Juniors, but not Hibernian. Hughes tried to cross that divide and be manager and "one of the boys". When that happens, respect diminishes IMO and you get what we witnessed in Kilmarnock and on occasion at East Mains. The discipline level drops. He had his favourites, this clouded his judgement and allowed divisions to appear. He also didn't deal with off field antics to set a marker.

I wish him all the best as I do anyone who leaves the club, but Hibernain move on and we move on in a positive manner. Great decision today made by the Board and for the huge benefit of the club as a whole. We also have the excitement of a new appointment, better football and a better season ahead.

Can I also throw in Morten Wieghorst into the bookies ring (ooer as Dick Emery would say).

Kaiser1962
04-10-2010, 09:30 PM
Four if you include Williamson who left to manage Plymouth because the contract he was offered took a huge hit on the wages. Rods way of sacking someone without actually sacking them.

1 Hughes - left by mutual consent
2 Mixu - ditto
3 Collins - resigned,
4 Mowbray - resigned to manage west brom
5 Williamson - resigned to manage plymoth
6 Sauzee - sacked
7 McLeish - resigned to manage rangers

So out of the past seven, only three have left because they were not up to the job. The majority asked to go.

We have to accept that not all people are capable of managing Hibs. A good manager will have an immediate impact on a club, e.g., Grandpa Broon.

HibeeSince85
04-10-2010, 11:13 PM
Yogi got a season and a bit really that's all, Mixu half a season longer, last manager to spend nearly any amount of time at Hibs was McLeish.

In between we have had Sauzee, Williamson, Mixu and Hughes who were all pretty much sacked.

Collins who did well and then had a dressing room revolt and then walks out a day after we open our new training centre - a huge day for Hibs as a club.

And then Mowbray, the one exception who managed to take Hibs foward in just about everyway possible and then as certain as tomorrow is, we lose him to a bigger club.

A decent manager is a must this time round, a poor team costs everything, we need to get the right guy in.