PDA

View Full Version : Could Mowbray really be considered

HibeeSince85
04-10-2010, 05:49 PM
I know it's been mentioned on here, and I read on another thread that he was mentioned on STV news along with a few others.

Is he really a possibility to come back, I can't see it, don't even think he would be contacted or he would apply but is there even a remote chance he could come back?

Jones28
04-10-2010, 05:57 PM
Even though we finished third in his first season we got a few humpings under Mowbray, 3-0 away at Killie sticks in my mind.

I'll never forget the Mowbray era, the incredible 0-3 double at Ibrox etc, but the did that with a vastly supirior team IMHO.

His second season in charge was horrific, 13 goals conceded against Hearts, 3 fours and a consolation against us at ER

If there was any Ex manager i'd want to come back it would be Johnny Collins. Did no bad with next to nothing funds wise, won the CIS cup.

If Collins has the same funding as Hughes and Mixu did then we'd be a formidable force playing the best football in the league, attracting crowds back and getting ER 12-14 thousand a week.

Mango Man
04-10-2010, 05:59 PM
No chance imo, the wages at his last 2 clubs would be far greater than anything he could ever get at Hibs, think he could probably still attract a decent Championship side.

HibeeSince85
04-10-2010, 06:00 PM
No chance imo, the wages at his last 2 clubs would be far greater than anything he could ever get at Hibs, think he could probably still attract a decent Championship side.

My thoughts exactly, I'm surpised to even see his name mentioned.

Hibby D
04-10-2010, 06:01 PM
He's supposedly still getting paid by the smellies isn't he? :dunno:

blackpoolhibs
04-10-2010, 06:02 PM
Even though we finished third in his first season we got a few humpings under Mowbray, 3-0 away at Killie sticks in my mind.

I'll never forget the Mowbray era, the incredible 0-3 double at Ibrox etc, but the did that with a vastly supirior team IMHO.

His second season in charge was horrific, 13 goals conceded against Hearts, 3 fours and a consolation against us at ER

If there was any Ex manager i'd want to come back it would be Johnny Collins. Did no bad with next to nothing funds wise, won the CIS cup.

If Collins has the same funding as Hughes and Mixu did then we'd be a formidable force playing the best football in the league, attracting crowds back and getting ER 12-14 thousand a week.

The best part of £500k on Makalamby and O'Brien with the wages that go with that, and you want him to get more money to spend?????????????

PapillonVert
04-10-2010, 06:02 PM

Plus, lest we forget, he walked out, job unfinished, when the first "better" offer came along.

We were his steppling stone once, let's leave it at that.

greenlex
04-10-2010, 06:09 PM
Take him back in a heartbeat. Knows how the game should be played win lose or draw. Aye we took humpings but we also plated some wonderfull stuff.
As the man himself used to say we would win more than we lost and right now I would settle fir that. Give him the rest of the season.

epperstonehibby
04-10-2010, 06:11 PM
Mowbray cant work anyway till he gets legal matters sorted out with celtic.Could do a lot worse than getting him back.

Cabbage East
04-10-2010, 06:12 PM
Forget about Mowbray folks, that ones a total non-starter.

HIBERNIAN-0762
04-10-2010, 06:25 PM
Take him back in a heartbeat. Knows how the game should be played win lose or draw. Aye we took humpings but we also plated some wonderfull stuff.
As the man himself used to say we would win more than we lost and right now I would settle fir that. Give him the rest of the season.

And if he does come and does a good job then someone like Stockport County wave a big cheque at him he'll be off...just like the last time!

blackpoolhibs
04-10-2010, 06:40 PM
And if he does come and does a good job then someone like Stockport County wave a big cheque at him he'll be off...just like the last time!

Thats probably true of every manager though, perhaps with the exception of Craig Brown?

greenlex
04-10-2010, 07:24 PM

Yup but as Blackpool says if any manager takes us where we want to go they will be off. We are not a European heavyweight. We are Way down the pecking order.

alex74
04-10-2010, 07:25 PM
I know it's been mentioned on here, and I read on another thread that he was mentioned on STV news along with a few others.

Is he really a possibility to come back, I can't see it, don't even think he would be contacted or he would apply but is there even a remote chance he could come back?
definatly mowbray had the team playing the best football i have seen at easter road for 30 years also attendances where up also bought well sproule jones murphy etc so yes tonys top of my list

Bishop Hibee
04-10-2010, 07:39 PM
Mix Mowbray's eye for a player and attacking instincts with Collins' tactical nouse and you'd have a great manager.

Thanks for the memories but time to move on.

Joe Baker II
05-10-2010, 01:49 PM

2005-06 was not horrendous (think you will find that was best supported Hibs have been in recent years too).

Against (probably, 2003-4 better?) the strongest Hearts team in last ten years we won 2 home games, lost 2 away games and lost one at a neutral venue with a weakened team, hardly horrendous.

Beat Rangers 3 times, including twice 3-0 at Ibrox.

4th in league and would have qualified for Europe had it not been for Gretna reaching Scottish Cup final and a combination of other factors such as Celtic lying down to Hearts in end of season game to help them finish above Rangers (not criticising Celtic here as they ultimately gained financially from this), Mowbray maybe deserves some criticism for not telling his team to go for an 11-0 defeat by Rangers at end of season which would have helped us get into Europe though.

Lost 5-1 to Dnipro somewhat unluckily.

Superb cup performances up to semi final.

There were some lows but ever thus with Hibs.

CabbageFan
05-10-2010, 01:56 PM
Mix Mowbray's eye for a player and attacking instincts with Collins' tactical nouse and you'd have a great manager.

Thanks for the memories but time to move on.

Konte and Martis??? :confused::confused::confused:

heretoday
05-10-2010, 02:21 PM
If we could afford TM then I think he would be a great appointment.

Won't happen. You have to put yourself in his shoes. Despite being out of work for some time he must still consider himself a Prem/ Championship standard manager with commensurate salary.

I'm betting he goes to Boro when Strachan walks.

greenlex
05-10-2010, 02:22 PM
Konte and Martis??? :confused::confused::confused:

you forgot Zibi. The successful players far outweighed the ones that were unsucessful.
You can't make an omlette without breaking a few eggs and all that.

TheBall'sRound
05-10-2010, 02:36 PM
you forgot Zibi. The successful players far outweighed the ones that were unsucessful.
You can't make an omlette without breaking a few eggs and all that.

It must be pointed out the influence that John Park had over the start of Mowbray's reign. Since he left for Celtic we've never really sourced youngsters of that calibre barring a few exceptions. It could be said that he made a greater contribution to that "golden era" than Mowbray.

Our scouting network and coaching emphasis needs to be realigned to making sure Hibs is the number one club for promising 16-18 years olds in the country.

In my mind a manager is almost secondary at this stage to finding a proper head coach (I know, it's just semantics but there's a difference) who will sort out the youth and training aspects of the club.

Hopefully the possible reintroduction of a Hibs reserve side will go some way to improving this department also.

blueisthecolour
05-10-2010, 05:00 PM
He's supposedly still getting paid by the smellies isn't he? :dunno:

Yes he is and if rumours are to be believed he is still earning a win bonus, he is earning a good whack for sitting in his garden, doubt he would give that up to easily.

Westie1875
05-10-2010, 05:05 PM
No thanks, time to move on from TM.

Mr Jolly
05-10-2010, 05:42 PM

This will apply to any manager who comes here and does a good job. How can Petrie seriously think we can fill the new stand each game when we sell all our best players, usually to the OF, who are in direct competition with us !! Its crazy...
Any manager who comes in and does well will be off and any players who he buys and happens to do well will be off....Its the nature of football these days, plus Hibs show no fight or incentive to keep anyone !!!

Just Jimmy
05-10-2010, 05:53 PM
No thanks, time to move on from TM.

Correct. We never have, RP still uses him as the blue print for new bosses, fans still crave his return, or at least the return of his 'football'.

until we see past this as a club we won't go any where with the new guy.

Get steve clarke in!