PDA

View Full Version : The Players

RoscoHibby
04-10-2010, 04:57 PM
Am I the only one that thinks the players, be it the captain, more senior 'Hibs minded' players, or someone, anyone, should come out and tell us what is fundamentally wrong with our club? Not the usual cliched mince about yogi now he's gone, but actually WTF goes on at East Mains all week every week?

IMO there is something seriously wrong behind the scenes, it may be Yogi was that influence, but I seriously doubt it. Yet more allegations of bevvying up town on saturday after serving up that.

Is there a wee clique there undermining things? Were Hughes' tactics that bad? (he wasn't the best, but I seriously doubt it) Why do they all look so unfit, and for the majority, so uninterested and bereft of confidence?

For me, its the same sorta stuff we got under Mixu. Just WTF is going on?

E.T. is a Hibee
04-10-2010, 04:59 PM
Am I the only one that thinks the players, be it the captain, more senior 'Hibs minded' players, or someone, anyone, should come out and tell us what is fundamentally wrong with our club? Not the usual cliched mince about yogi now he's gone, but actually WTF goes on at East Mains all week every week?

IMO there is something seriously wrong behind the scenes, it may be Yogi was that influence, but I seriously doubt it. Yet more allegations of bevvying up town on saturday after serving up that.

Is there a wee clique there undermining things? Were Hughes' tactics that bad? (he wasn't the best, but I seriously doubt it) Why do they all look so unfit, and for the majority, so uninterested and bereft of confidence?

The problem has now left the building, JH was a nightmare!

RoscoHibby
04-10-2010, 05:06 PM
To an extent I agree with you, but we seen the same stuff when Mixu was in charge, we seem to have gone into a time warp, only difference now is where a couple of players play, still no width, no fighting spirit, leaking terrible goals, players looking unfit and uninterested. You cant lay all of that at Hughes' door which was my point.

At The Edge
04-10-2010, 05:08 PM
What i think will be interesting is the reaction by the players against Killie, will they lift their game regardless of who is charge, be it Evans or a new boss.
If i was one of the ones with a year left on my contract, i'd be busting my nuts to make sure i got another contract.

jacomo
04-10-2010, 05:17 PM
Seems to be a long term malaise at the club, ever since the player revolt really. Yet yogi always defended the way the players trained.

HUTCHYHIBBY
04-10-2010, 05:29 PM
That nonsense with Petrie and the players when Collins thought he was in charge has basically given the players the green light to do as they please as long as Rod is the main man.

Ferryhibby
04-10-2010, 05:44 PM
Think some of them really need to have a bloody good look at themselves, as was just stated most of them are out of contract at the end of the season and if they keep going the way they are then theyl b lucky to get a club in the 1st div. 8 managers in 10 years sounding like a poisened chalice

calumb
04-10-2010, 06:06 PM
I believe the problems stem back to Mowbrays days and his buddy buddy approach to the players to keep them onside and so engineer his move to the premiership. Collins then came in a tried to make them footballers and the rest is history, don't think we have ever shaken that off.
so maybe ST Tony is the answer to our problems now if he can get the players back onside - we won't win anything and we will still get beat by St Mirren and Inverness but at least we will have a stonking good go against the old firm and the yams

skipster7
04-10-2010, 06:57 PM
I believe the problems stem back to Mowbrays days and his buddy buddy approach to the players to keep them onside and so engineer his move to the premiership. Collins then came in a tried to make them footballers and the rest is history, don't think we have ever shaken that off.
so maybe ST Tony is the answer to our problems now if he can get the players back onside - we won't win anything and we will still get beat by St Mirren and Inverness but at least we will have a stonking good go against the old firm and the yams:bitchy: we suffered some of our most horrendous results against them with him in charge !!

--------
04-10-2010, 07:06 PM

Yogi's tactics weren't the best? They were honking! They were non-existent by the end. The man thought tac-tics were wee peppermint sweeties!

I've heard a lot of stuff about what's been going on, much of it very bad, from people I have excellent reasons to trust and believe. If even half of what I've heard is true, I reckon that whoever takes the team on now will have a substantially harder job than they would have had a year ago.

But that said, the problem IMO goes much deeper than just an incompetent manager.

persevere1875
04-10-2010, 07:14 PM
To an extent I agree with you, but we seen the same stuff when Mixu was in charge, we seem to have gone into a time warp, only difference now is where a couple of players play, still no width, no fighting spirit, leaking terrible goals, players looking unfit and uninterested. You cant lay all of that at Hughes' door which was my point.

Surely the tactics,desire to win, fitness of players and the way the team is laid out is precisely the managers responsibility, therefore it stands to reason in those specific departments, Yogi failed in the same manner as Mixu, sure the players bear a responsibilty for the performance they put out on a Saturday, but they either play the way the manager sets them out or he has the right to drop them and use the squad, he kept the faith with those players when he had the opportunities to change things and publicly or privately let it be know if your at Hibs for a free ride you'll be doing it in the reserves and he didnt.

If there are other issues at ER/EM then its the responsibillty of whoever the present manager is to get it sorted, they both had ample opportunity and neither did it.

HibsMax
04-10-2010, 07:21 PM

I agree. I don't think Yogi was the right man for the job but I also don't think that he was responsible for everything that went on.

I'm good at my job. You can put me anywhere and I will still be good at my job, regardless of who is in charge. My bosses might limit the way I can do things, they change what I work on, they change the priorities.......but fundamentally I'm still good at my job.

I've read that Yogi's tactics were strange. I've read that is use of subs was strange. But it's not like he put Deeks in goal. He may have played with a weird shape to the team but how does that stop players from being able to pass the ball to one another? How does it contribute towards mistakes being made in defence or missing open goals?

I get the impression that the team is a little more mince than we think it is but the fans and players are conveniently using Yogi as a scapegoat. Not saying he's not partly, or mostly to blame, but he's certainly not totally to blame.

If we can all agree that Yogi was not 100% at fault then we must also agree that now he's gone, there are STILL issues to deal with. A new manager will address some of those issues. How much ground he makes with the other issues depends on how the players respond to him and how much rope the board gives him.

Albion Hibs
04-10-2010, 07:24 PM

No.

Why should the player come out and say something, what is it you want them to say? Are you a bit upset Hughes is gone and now there is no one on here to post abuse?

As football fans we are there to watch football, if you want a soap opera turn on the tele and watch Eastenders, what right to we have to know what goes on in there personal and work environment, with the exception of the 90 mins they are on the pitch?

HibsMax
04-10-2010, 07:44 PM
No.

Why should the player come out and say something, what is it you want them to say? Are you a bit upset Hughes is gone and now there is no one on here to post abuse?

As football fans we are there to watch football, if you want a soap opera turn on the tele and watch Eastenders, what right to we have to know what goes on in there personal and work environment, with the exception of the 90 mins they are on the pitch?
That's a good point. I think it would be great to find out what is going wrong inside the club but players speaking out is never a good thing, in any sport.

KeithTheHibby
04-10-2010, 07:49 PM
As much as it was the right decision to let Hughes go I do feel that some of the players need to take a hard look at themselves in the mirror and realise that they contributed to this mess.

Let's not forget that some of these players were also at the club when Mixu left.

King Paddy
04-10-2010, 07:54 PM
the players need to get a grip, yes yogi is culpable for the sorry mess we are in, but the players have let him down badly.

leithsansiro
04-10-2010, 08:24 PM
All of the players who have been regulars need to take a long hard look at themselves. Take 11 blokes out of the stands on a Saturday and they'll show you how to play with passion.