PDA

View Full Version : Is there nothing to be said for going foreign?

Bamba
04-10-2010, 04:26 PM
...Scouring the continent for, perhaps, a foreign coach? There are managers in Scandinavia who are very bright, fitness-orientated football-minds. Some have experience in attracting good quality, young players to a relatively small league. Norwegian coaches especially are well-equipped in dealing with a league with a dominant force (albeit just one team) and some have managed to take relatively obscure teams to the league title. I think bringing in someone from a different footballing culture could breathe some fresh air into us AND the SPL.

And none of this nonsense about not "knowing the Scottish game" - cause it takes about 5 minutes to suss out

Littlest Hobo
04-10-2010, 04:35 PM
...Scouring the continent for, perhaps, a foreign coach? There are managers in Scandinavia who are very bright, fitness-orientated football-minds. Some have experience in attracting good quality, young players to a relatively small league. Norwegian coaches especially are well-equipped in dealing with a league with a dominant force (albeit just one team) and some have managed to take relatively obscure teams to the league title. I think bringing in someone from a different footballing culture could breathe some fresh air into us AND the SPL.

And none of this nonsense about not "knowing the Scottish game" - cause it takes about 5 minutes to suss out
:agree:

Must admit seeing the same old names getting banded about really leaves me feeling rather depressed.

This idea is a breath of fresh air.:thumbsup:

JimBHibees
04-10-2010, 04:45 PM

Very good idea and their English would no doubt be very good as well. Identifying the right candidate would be the issue.

libernian
04-10-2010, 04:47 PM
ebbe skovdahl at aberdeen. hardly a success worst aberdeen team i can remember finished bottom of league.

hibsdaft
04-10-2010, 04:48 PM

Stuart Baxter :agree::agree:

Iggy Pope
04-10-2010, 04:48 PM
:hmmm:

Wonder what Ebbe Skovdhal is doing with himself?

Woody1985
04-10-2010, 04:49 PM
Yep, I thought about this earlier today.

If there still is, and ever was, an underlying culture of drinking and unwillingness to get as fit as possible then I'm not too sure a foreign manager would have much luck and might end up out the door.

It would be good to see a new face but I don't think it'll happen.

Iggy Pope
04-10-2010, 04:50 PM
ebbe skovdahl at aberdeen. hardly a success worst aberdeen team i can remember finished bottom of league.

:hmmm:

Wonder what Ebbe Skovdhal is doing with himself?

Ah, bollox.................2nd to everything the now!

E.T. is a Hibee
04-10-2010, 04:57 PM

That it exactly what the should be doing and if they are serious about taking Hibs forward they would do it, the names getting thrown about are poor and are no better the JH. Lets face it the list is gash and it annoys me! If RP employes another mediocre manger I will hound him till he speak to me and gives me an explanation!:grr:

steviecarnie
04-10-2010, 05:01 PM
would be delighted with someone like Lars Lagerback, did extremely well with sweden in his time, not currently with anyone.

Bamba
04-10-2010, 05:02 PM
Skovdahl was a looney. There are a few coaches who have done very well in what is now a very competitive league - Rosenborg despite winning it last year have had their heyday. Mons Ivar Mjelde turned a relegation threatened Brann into league winners (their first in 44 years) and is currently at the considerably smaller team of Bryne FK. Someone like him would be a forward-thinking appointment

E.T. is a Hibee
04-10-2010, 05:04 PM
would be delighted with someone like Lars Lagerback, did extremely well with sweden in his time, not currently with anyone.

That's the type they should be looking at!:thumbsup:

steviecarnie
04-10-2010, 05:12 PM
according to this article he was getting $1.5m but only asked for half that, if the board are bold i reckon he would come.

http://www.soccerblog.com/2010/03/nigeria-not-entirely-sold-on-l.htm

The salary of Lars Lagerback, the Swedish coach now the helmsman for the Super Eagles has become a controversial issue.

The amount is said to be in the region of $1.5 million although Lagerback himself is said to have asked about half that

Kevvy1875
04-10-2010, 05:14 PM
There has been some decent foreign coaches, Ivan Golac is one. Won the SC for Utd as I remember and presided over a 17 match unbeaten league run at one point.

But for every one of him there is a Skovdahl or a Bonneti I suppose. Hit or a Miss.

hhibs
04-10-2010, 05:27 PM

I like your thinking sir,however maybe just too revoltionary for our board,who share a large portion of blame in past choicesIMHO

Perhaps as a move in this direction and one that would install discipline and fitness, both areas of concern..................Bruce Rioch.
A success by all accounts in Denmark and has a reputation for running a tight ship.
Mature enough to take up a position at board level later, while setting up a framework for some form of longer term
continuity in the head coach/manager position.

matty_f
04-10-2010, 05:29 PM
Have to say that I'd far rather have someone exciting and unknown than some of the same-old, same-old names that have been bandied about so far.

E.T. is a Hibee
04-10-2010, 05:30 PM
I like your thinking sir,however maybe just too revoltionary for our board,who share a large portion of blame in past choicesIMHO

Perhaps as a move in this direction and one that would install discipline and fitness, both areas of concern..................Bruce Rioch.
A success by all accounts in Denmark and has a reputation for running a tight ship.
Mature enough to take up a position at board level later, while setting up a framework for some form of longer term

I would love it if it was a possibilty, he would have us moving thats for sure!

Earl of Currie
04-10-2010, 06:30 PM
I think this is a great idea.

Bruce Rioch as a manager/mentor with a longer term view to stepping aside after developing a younger coach. moving into a director of football position overseeing the full development of the club
Possible Michael O'Neill or Steve Clarke could be appointed assistant with the view to taking over in a few years time.

JohnScott
04-10-2010, 08:29 PM
There has been some decent foreign coaches, Ivan Golac is one. Won the SC for Utd as I remember and presided over a 17 match unbeaten league run at one point.

But for every one of him there is a Skovdahl or a Bonneti I suppose. Hit or a Miss.

And you could say that of every country as well as ours!

stubru59
04-10-2010, 08:53 PM
Have to say that I'd far rather have someone exciting and unknown than some of the same-old, same-old names that have been bandied about so far.

Exactly.

bobbyhibs1983
04-10-2010, 09:10 PM
I can see where the O.P is coming from but a couple of things that stike me,

fitness-orientated : would the players be up for that? i know jc tried it(there are reports of his man management skills her) but whos to say the players would be willing to train THAT hard?

Languge: would the coach speak english?I know a vague point here but hey its not been mentioned(i hope)

A name from the past wim jasen.didn't he have one season with celtic and won the leauge and another cup

SloopJB
04-10-2010, 09:14 PM
Sauzee
Mixu
Mowbray
Alex Millar? couldnae understand him either. fair bit of experience.

NOLA
04-10-2010, 09:22 PM
Morten Weighorst? knows scottish football, has experience managing though still young, and was Dickohs manager before, thoughts??

DH1875
04-10-2010, 10:04 PM
I've no probs going down the foriegn route. Got to be better than some of the donkeys some people are after.

steviecarnie
04-10-2010, 10:29 PM
Languge: would the coach speak english?I know a vague point here but hey its not been mentioned(i hope)

most if not all european countries teach english to kids from an early age, look at the dutch/scandinavians their english is better than ours at times and certainly gonna be better than yogi's http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/agree.gif

HibeeSince85
04-10-2010, 10:48 PM
Would be great if we could, would breathe new life and excitement into Hibs I think.

I've never gave it much thought and concentrated on closer to home as I don't think it's something the board would do at this time sadly.

Geo_1875
04-10-2010, 10:57 PM

Did John Collins not try that? I seem to recall it didn't work out well.

matty_f
04-10-2010, 11:19 PM
Dunno if anyone watched the 'Can England Win The World Cup' (or Will England...) program that was on the other night, but they featured the Dutch and the Germans and talked about how they viewed their football (think they might have included Spain, as well).

IMHO, we could learn a helluva lot from these countries, and maybe identifying an emerging manager (or an experienced, available manager) from Spain, Germany, or Holland might hold some value.