PDA

View Full Version : Gareth Southgate?

Thecat23
04-10-2010, 11:58 AM
I wouldn't mind him at ER. I know he's still fairly young but has very good contacts in football. Not sure how much he would want but surely it's a job back in football and as a manager out of work he may take it. Just a thought!

Spike Mandela
04-10-2010, 12:00 PM
I wouldn't mind him at ER. I know he's still fairly young but has very good contacts in football. Not sure how much he would want but surely it's a job back in football and as a manager out of work he may take it. Just a thought!

Bad teeth...................................NEXT!!!!

Bad Martini
04-10-2010, 12:01 PM
Fine until it gets to teaching the lads how to slot home a penalty :devil:

smurf
04-10-2010, 12:01 PM
Outstanding candidate.

Love the Green
04-10-2010, 12:02 PM
[QUOTE=Thecat23;2596348]I wouldn't mind him at ER. I know he's still fairly young but has very good contacts in football. Not sure how much he would want but surely it's a job back in football and as a manager out of work he may take it. Just a thought![/QUOTE ]

Is this a joke post?

The guy spent millions after millions and still got Boro relegated...we dont need major failures at this time.

"keep the faith":wink:

Green_one
04-10-2010, 12:05 PM
Outstanding candidate.

:agree: But we would never get him

Thecat23
04-10-2010, 12:07 PM
Bad teeth...................................NEXT!!!!

That actually made me really laugh :)

Thecat23
04-10-2010, 12:08 PM
[QUOTE=Thecat23;2596348]I wouldn't mind him at ER. I know he's still fairly young but has very good contacts in football. Not sure how much he would want but surely it's a job back in football and as a manager out of work he may take it. Just a thought![/QUOTE ]

Is this a joke post?

The guy spent millions after millions and still got Boro relegated...we dont need major failures at this time.

"keep the faith":wink:

Not a joke post bud, just a thought! I take your point though but I really do think he would do well at a club like ours.

Albion Hibs
04-10-2010, 12:10 PM
:agree: But we would never get him

That is the key one in this thread, if people actually think he would come to Hibs I think they need to go and see someone.

What is it you people see when you look at Hibs, no money, poor support, boo-tastic fans - sounds great, I am sure he has signed up already!!

Get real please people.

Franck is God
04-10-2010, 12:13 PM
![/QUOTE ]

Is this a joke post?

The guy spent millions after millions and still got Boro relegated...we dont need major failures at this time.[/QUOTE]

I think it would be an interesting thought and to be fair the reason he spent millions is because that was the league he was managing in and the competition he had for players.

That same type of competition doesn't exist in the SPL.

Thecat23
04-10-2010, 12:24 PM
That is the key one in this thread, if people actually think he would come to Hibs I think they need to go and see someone.

What is it you people see when you look at Hibs, no money, poor support, boo-tastic fans - sounds great, I am sure he has signed up already!!

Get real please people.

That will be that then, just out if interest how do you know he wouldn't come to Hibs. If I remember right we played Boro twice in pre season and after it he said Hibs are a very well run club and with one of the best youth and training facilities out there. So actually I think he would consider it if offered. If that's means I need a shrink so be it.

Thecat23
04-10-2010, 12:26 PM
![/QUOTE ]

Is this a joke post?

I think it would be an interesting thought and to be fair the reason he spent millions is because that was the league he was managing in and the competition he had for players.

That same type of competition doesn't exist in the SPL.[/QUOTE]

Exactly mate.. I think he would do a good job in the SPL. He would be hungry to prove a few folk wrong that's for sure.

Bobby's Cinema
04-10-2010, 12:48 PM

Get real please people.
We might aswell all just pack it in then :grr:

Albion Hibs
04-10-2010, 12:57 PM
That will be that then, just out if interest how do you know he wouldn't come to Hibs. If I remember right we played Boro twice in pre season and after it he said Hibs are a very well run club and with one of the best youth and training facilities out there. So actually I think he would consider it if offered. If that's means I need a shrink so be it.

Yes that will be that. Get real. Why on earth would you ever think that he would come to Hibs? Because they paid us a complement - my mate got a new car last week, I told him it was nice - I did not follow that up with, I want it, I need it I have to have it.

IMO Our manager will come from;
- Those out of work
- Those of an age where they can be bothered being the manager of Hibs
- Those looking for a path to Championship / old firm job
- 2nd, maybe first division in England
- an assistant in championship who wants there own carrer in management
- 1st division in Scotland.

I would love it if Jose decided Real was not all it was made out to be, but we have to be realistic, it is this wonderland mentality that a certain section of Hibs fans have that causes us all of our problems - think we should be playing like this, winning like that, beating this team by that much.

Of course I would love to be top of the league, champ league group stages but I am sane enough to know that is not going to happen.

emmjayfox
04-10-2010, 12:59 PM
Unless your the manager of celtic or rangers you would virtually go unnoticed up here, so i cant imagine any manager who has EPL experience and wants to get back into the game would even contemplate the hibs job.

Albion Hibs
04-10-2010, 12:59 PM
We might aswell all just pack it in then :grr:

No a certain section of our fans just need to change there attitude and expectations. Or you could go with your idea and throw in the towel - reflection?

Cropley10
04-10-2010, 01:07 PM
Yes that will be that. Get real. Why on earth would you ever think that he would come to Hibs? Because they paid us a complement - my mate got a new car last week, I told him it was nice - I did not follow that up with, I want it, I need it I have to have it.

- Those out of work

I would love it if Jose decided Real was not all it was made out to be, but we have to be realistic, it is this wonderland mentality that a certain section of Hibs fans have that causes us all of our problems - think we should be playing like this, winning like that, beating this team by that much.

Of course I would love to be top of the league, champ league group stages but I am sane enough to know that is not going to happen.

It's called having ambition! What about Nebio Scala, Ruud Gullit? Our City rivals don't think small why should we? They're not a big Club either...

Thecat23
04-10-2010, 01:07 PM

- Those out of work

You need to relax, I'm not saying we can get Jose or someone like Martin O'Neill. But I think Southgate is a realistic target. Plus I didnt think or say Hibs should do this and win like that so don't start that crap. I only posted who I think could job and also may be interested. So calm yourself down to a panic and if you don't think he would come fair enough.

Evergreen86
04-10-2010, 01:10 PM

- Those out of work

:top marksBang on mate!

Albion Hibs
04-10-2010, 01:17 PM
You need to relax, I'm not saying we can get Jose or someone like Martin O'Neill. But I think Southgate is a realistic target. Plus I didnt think or say Hibs should do this and win like that so don't start that crap. I only posted who I think could job and also may be interested. So calm yourself down to a panic and if you don't think he would come fair enough.

Fair, play apologies on my part - the whole set up the now is getting me down. The thought of our 8/9 manager in 10 years makes me cringe. We need to get someone that can grow and stick with them like we would want them to stick with us if they did what we want and become successful.

I think we need to be very careful that it does not become a Newcastle situation where managers think, why would I bother, I will get no time to do anything - they at least have the benefit of a decent budget and a full ground regardless. At the same time I dont agree with sticking with someone just because. It is not an easy fix.

Loyalty is something which has to be reciprocal throughout our club.

Cropley10
04-10-2010, 01:21 PM
Fair, play apologies on my part - the whole set up the now is getting me down. The thought of our 8/9 manager in 10 years makes me cringe. We need to get someone that can grow and stick with them like we would want them to stick with us if they did what we want and become successful.

I think we need to be very careful that it does not become a Newcastle situation where managers think, why would I bother, I will get no time to do anything - they at least have the benefit of a decent budget and a full ground regardless. At the same time I dont agree with sticking with someone just because. It is not an easy fix.

Newcastle are an interesting example. They stopped the managerial merry-go-round, stuck with Hughton and he's doing a good job.

Whoever we pick I simply do not want someone with 'connections' to Hibs anymore, again Newcastle were guilty of this too.

Thecat23
04-10-2010, 02:19 PM

That's ok bud, I understand where your coming from. I also agree 100% with this post. I hope whoever we get just steadys the ship calm things down and for me goes back to basics of trying to set out a team that's hard to beat. I dont care for the flair and all that, I want 3 points and be nice just to be up the other end of the table. But I really do hope us fans give him time because he will need it.

ScottB
04-10-2010, 02:24 PM
Unless your the manager of celtic or rangers you would virtually go unnoticed up here, so i cant imagine any manager who has EPL experience and wants to get back into the game would even contemplate the hibs job.

Not really, back in January Hibs were featuring on Football Focus when we were threatening second spot in the table, interviews with John Hughes then him being linked to the Burnley job etc.

If a guy came up here and did well, he'd be noticed.

Kaiser1962
04-10-2010, 02:29 PM

Get real please people.

Agree. I think some people seem to forget the market we are operating in, and it is not Gareth Southgate or Martin O'Neil. That said I am sure there will be plenty applications for the job and some will be very surprising. But the whole culture needs to change.

Kaiser1962
04-10-2010, 02:37 PM
The reality is though if someone comes in and does reasonably well they will move on for riches and budgets we can only dream about. If they are less than capable then they will get booed and emptied. I would like to think there is a middle ground but I'm afraid there isnt.

That's ok bud, I understand where your coming from. I also agree 100% with this post. I hope whoever we get just steadys the ship calm things down and for me goes back to basics of trying to set out a team that's hard to beat. I dont care for the flair and all that, I want 3 points and be nice just to be up the other end of the table. But I really do hope us fans give him time because he will need it.

OtterHibee
04-10-2010, 06:34 PM

I mentioned yesterday that there were three names recurring in my head as potential replacements for Hughes.

Gareth Southgate is one of the three. I would love to see him at Hibs, but acknowledge that it would be somewhat unrealistic.

Albion Hibs
04-10-2010, 06:43 PM
As a general question how does everyone think Gareth Southgate would do operating in a league he knows nothing about, with no budget when he was used to managing multi-million pound players, and equally will have no money to go and buy any?

For what its worth, my view is there is only one chance Southgate will come to Hibs, and its no chance.

--------
04-10-2010, 06:47 PM
Newcastle are an interesting example. They stopped the managerial merry-go-round, stuck with Hughton and he's doing a good job.

Whoever we pick I simply do not want someone with 'connections' to Hibs anymore, again Newcastle were guilty of this too.

Thing is Newcastle stopped the merry-go-round at a point when they had a good man in the job.

It was seen as a risk at the time - he was appointed as caretaker manager at first, handed over to Shearer, then was appointed caretaker again, and then only when he had proved himself was he confirmed as permanent manager. He had quite a rocky time at first, IIRC.

One thing - I'll be strongly inclined to withhold judgment on the next guy until I'm well convinced about how he's doing.

Twa Cairpets
04-10-2010, 06:48 PM

Erm, Owen Coyle?

3pm
04-10-2010, 06:52 PM
As a general question how does everyone think Gareth Southgate would do operating in a league he knows nothing about, with no budget when he was used to managing multi-million pound players, and equally will have no money to go and buy any?

For what its worth, my view is there is only one chance Southgate will come to Hibs, and its no chance.

Taking Southgate out the equation who won't be the new manager, I assume we have to appoint from Scotland / SPL based on the bit in bold?

--------
04-10-2010, 06:53 PM
Erm, Owen Coyle?

Tony Mowbray? Billy Davies? :rolleyes:

I don't want Southgate, anyway.

Baader
04-10-2010, 06:53 PM
Southgate will make a nice living out of punditry. One with much more security and less pressure than football management. Hibs wouldn't be able to match his TV salary. He's tried management and may have decided there are better and easier ways to make a living. Would've thought he'd have offers from clubs. Who knows though? What is important is we get the right man and stick with him. Our managerial situation over the last 10 years is the main thing that lets us down.

Springbank
04-10-2010, 06:55 PM
This thread OP is spot on I think.

It's the kind of thinking that suits Hibs, in my view.

Seen UKwide and beyond as a great place for managers to get a chance in the game at a sensible club whose traditions are all about playing the right kind of football (witness SurAlex last week praising the Hibs way)

The Scandinavian approach is one (like we had under Mogga) where people are encouraged to do the best they can for themselves, and in the process that raises the standard for the whole club...the Upward Spiral Mowbray talked a lot about.

Let's get a Southgate or a Clarke or a Pardew, have 18 fantastic months, and see where we are and how many bums on seats we have enjoying the football at the ground.

Onwards, upwards, we already have most of the jigsaw in place.

New Corrie
04-10-2010, 06:56 PM
It's called having ambition! What about Nebio Scala, Ruud Gullit? Our City rivals don't think small why should we? They're not a big Club either...

What Albion posts is called reality, sadly. I thought Malky McKay, Paul Lambart etc........then thought, dream on ya mug, these guys are making fortunes in the Championship.

Baader
04-10-2010, 07:44 PM

The only thing our city rivals do on a big scale is deceit and delusion. They mentioned the above names then appointed who? Graham Rix?

They also 'thought' about Champions League success and "World Cup stars."

I still think about playing striker for Hibs!!!