PDA

View Full Version : So What About Our Board In All Of This? (merged)

smurf
04-10-2010, 11:46 AM
Or is it a case of as long as the books are ok* they are untouchable?

*And that's as long as we have a Stokes etc etc to punt to leave whoever is the Manager short....

And before i get attacked etc etc and i get to feel the entire weight of the pro board lobby can i just state that i'm only asking the question!:wink:

Arch Stanton
04-10-2010, 11:51 AM

*And that's as long as we have a Stokes etc etc to punt to leave whoever is the Manager short....

And before i get attacked etc etc and i get to feel the entire weight of the pro board lobby can i just state that i'm only asking the question!:wink:

Two questions actually.

smurf
04-10-2010, 11:55 AM
Two questions actually.

Crabit?:greengrin

--------
04-10-2010, 12:01 PM

:agree: To appoint ONE manager, then part company with him in less than two years is one thing; to do it three times in a row smells of something other than bad luck.

An urgent and thorough review of selection criteria and processes seems to be in order.

Jim44
04-10-2010, 12:02 PM

Petrie, because of the financial status of the club, will be allowed carry on regardless. His only foreseeable problem is to find someone to drag us back to mediocrity and all will be fine for another 18 months. :yawn:

bawheid
04-10-2010, 12:04 PM

As one of the posters on here who gets accused of being too pro-Board at times, I have to say they certainly aren't untouchable.

They've made a series of footballing decisions since April 2007 which smack of panic and short-termism. Appointing managers who have no or little experience just because they have a green and white background, and then not giving them time to see out any sort of plan will not wash anymore.

The whole recruitment procedure needs looked at and if they appoint a Reid or a McInnes or a Michael O'Neill I will despair. It's a massive couple of weeks for Rod Petrie IMO.

--------
04-10-2010, 12:19 PM
As one of the posters on here who gets accused of being too pro-Board at times, I have to say they certainly aren't untouchable.

They've made a series of footballing decisions since April 2007 which smack of panic and short-termism. Appointing managers who have no or little experience just because they have a green and white background, and then not giving them time to see out any sort of plan will not wash anymore.

The whole recruitment procedure needs looked at and if they appoint a Reid or a McInnes or a Michael O'Neill I will despair. It's a massive couple of weeks for Rod Petrie IMO.

:agree: Absolutely right.

TheEastTerrace
04-10-2010, 12:27 PM
Petrie and Lindsey, and whoever else in involved in making the managerial appointments, have to accept accountability for this mess. As the handsomly paid custodians of our club, should they not be questioned about their role in this mess, the mess before it, and the mess before that?

Far be it for me to get in the way of reporting some good financials, which of course they should take credit for, but their decision making re: the 1st team's management is simply not acceptable and some answers need provided by these individuals as to why it has gone Pete Tong on a number of occasions now.

The AGM should be an open forum. As it stands, the club is ducking the issue at the most important meeting of the year. Poor show.

I've not got any agenda here, nor am I anti-board. I simply want some answers, and as supporters of this club, we should be getting those answers.

Beefster
04-10-2010, 12:29 PM

Me too.

Cropley10
04-10-2010, 12:47 PM
With the major infrastructure projects completed and the balance sheet repaired now is the perfect time for Mr Petrie to take a bow and his leave of us, his work is done IMO.

erin-go-bragh87
04-10-2010, 12:56 PM

I think the fans have to take some of the blame for this aswell though. We can be a bit of a romantic bunch when it comes to ex players!!

erskine-hibby
04-10-2010, 12:59 PM
I think the board are culpable of letting the playing side slide. They seriously need to look at their management recruitment procedures as they have failed miserably to deliver on that front.

aberhibsfc
04-10-2010, 01:00 PM
Petrie and Lindsey, and whoever else in involved in making the managerial appointments, have to accept accountability for this mess. As the handsomly paid custodians of our club, should they not be questioned about their role in this mess, the mess before it, and the mess before that?

Far be it for me to get in the way of reporting some good financials, which of course they should take credit for, but their decision making re: the 1st team's management is simply not acceptable and some answers need provided by these individuals as to why it has gone Pete Tong on a number of occasions now.

The AGM should be an open forum. As it stands, the club is ducking the issue at the most important meeting of the year. Poor show.

I've not got any agenda here, nor am I anti-board. I simply want some answers, and as supporters of this club, we should be getting those answers.

Even the pro-board, accountancy fanciers must admit that having to pay manager after manager off is an expensive business. Not to mention that new managers tend to see a number of players leave and join the club, even worse when the said player holds no stock elsewhere and has to be paid off.

It's like the old saying my Gran shared with me. You buy cheap, you buy dear. Roughly translated - if you opt for the cheap option it most likely won't be up to the job so you end up keep replacing again and again until you realise that if you had bought the quality in the first place it would probably have been cheaper.

Hughes was not an inexperienced manager, he had 6 years at Falkirk. Unfortunately it didn't work out, I think the board have to take some responsibility because I feel the finances have been tight this year. We might expect many things from Yogi, accountancy and availability of funds isn't one.

The board can't go back to the hiring of inexperienced managers or going for the cheap option. What they have to do is uncover the right option. Someone who is proven and has the knowledge and ability to take the team forward. Yes, we can't break the bank, but I am sure the Hibs managers job will not be that poorly paid. I think management wages wise we could hit bigger than we think. The real problem for me is would the manager get the support required and would the fans give him a chance.

RIP
04-10-2010, 01:43 PM
Case for Rod

Rod costs us about £100,000 a year
Yogi - alledgedly £200,00
Some players on more than Rod and one or two the same as Yogi
Value for money?

Case against

Collins didn't like working for Rod. Mixu said his hands were tied
Rod's insistence on offering players to incoming managers doesn't help
Alex Ferguson said the manager has to be No1 at a club
At Hibs he's a poor fourth after Rod, Board and Players
Hibs have had 8 managers in 10years
If the Chairman's football acumen matched his financial acumen we would be a lot better off
So 10/10 on the financials Rod
But this is a football club
As far as the football side goes - Taxi!!!!!!

discman
04-10-2010, 01:53 PM
:cool2:
Case for Rod

Rod costs us about £100,000 a year
Yogi - alledgedly £200,00
Some players on more than Rod and one or two the same as Yogi
Value for money?

Case against

Collins didn't like working for Rod. Mixu said his hands were tied
Rod's insistence on offering players to incoming managers doesn't help
Alex Ferguson said the manager has to be No1 at a club
At Hibs he's a poor fourth after Rod, Board and Players
Hibs have had 8 managers in 10years
If the Chairman's football acumen matched his financial acumen we would be a lot better off
So 10/10 on the financials Rod
But this is a football club
As far as the football side goes - Taxi!!!!!!

Er no, rp takes £160,000+ and I have said before he owns 10% of the club hes going nowhere kinda like hibs if he keeps his policy of a new manager every 15 months :cool2:

ancienthibby
04-10-2010, 02:10 PM
:cool2:

Er no, rp takes £160,000+ and I have said before he owns 10% of the club hes going nowhere kinda like hibs if he keeps his policy of a new manager every 15 months :cool2:

Er no, Section 43 is virtually correct with his £100k!

RP actually took £106,491 (all in) last year.

And he owns shares in the parent company, not the club!!

Bostonhibby
04-10-2010, 04:46 PM

They'll be fine, I am sure :wink:

jdships
04-10-2010, 04:54 PM

:top marks:
Agree totally with all you write above :thumbsup:

Aubenas
04-10-2010, 05:06 PM
Just a few points here:

It's the Board's job to make sure the club is well run and financially sound (otherwise there would be no club).
Against all the odds, they've done that.

It's also their job to appoint the best manager they can get. Clearly they have a system - because that's how they unearthed Mowbray. However, picking managers, unlike financial planning, isn't a predictable business (look at Hodgson's start at Liverpool, Keane at Sunderland) Often good managers cock up because of the chemistry at a club and it's almost impossible to predict that accurately.

Yes, I'm sure there are some Boards who have the acumen to do both the financial bit and the football bit successfully, but they are unlikely to be involved in a club of Hibs size.

Finally, the right Manager has to want to come to Hibs - and given our salary probably makes us about 80 out 130 plus clubs in UK, they need to really want it. So - a lot of the guys who want the job will have Hibs connections - but being an ex Hibs player has nothing to do with how good or how bad they are as a manager. I think you'll find that the Board appointed Mixu and Yogi, and probably Collins as well because they looked like the best of the applicants.

Let's face it, the fans don't exactly encourage a wide field of applicants: no ex Huns, no ex Hibs now apparently, no inexperienced managers, no experienced journeymen. Given HIbs financial limit narrows the field, maybe a certain affection for the club is the motivation for some of the applicants we have, I don't know.

Me, I'd go for Michael O'Neil - because he's intelligent, thoughtful, done a great job at Tallaght - look at the Juve game and he knows the Scottish game. Don't care who he's played for. And I'd have a punt at John Blackley as assistant cos he did the biz with Sturrock down south and is well respected as a coach - especially of defenders.

Greenblood70
04-10-2010, 05:34 PM

Great post..we need stability..they cannot afford to get it wrong next time (they couldn't really afford to get it wrong the last time either mind you!)

discman
04-10-2010, 05:47 PM
Er no, Section 43 is virtually correct with his £100k!

RP actually took £106,491 (all in) last year.

And he owns shares in the parent company, not the club!!

The parent company own the club ergo...... Check splfootballfianances

Click on hibs read the accounts before 2009, rod has been taking substantial amounts,actually the directors take proportionally 3x more than another team in the spl

Can't wait to see how long we give whoever gets the job

ancienthibby
04-10-2010, 05:50 PM
The parent company own the club ergo...... Check splfootballfianances

Click on hibs read the accounts before 2009, rod has been taking substantial amounts,actually the directors take proportionally 3x more than another team in the spl

Can't wait to see how long we give whoever gets the job

1. That was not what I replied to - my numbers are accurate!!:agree::agree::agree:

2. One, repeat one, Rangers director takes more than the entire Hibs Board combined!!:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

King Paddy
04-10-2010, 07:21 PM
Tom farmer has to take some responsibility in the mess we find ourselves in at present. His appointment of Rod Petrie has in a financial sense been a success, but in footballing terms has been a failure. His appoinments of managers such as Mixu, yogi, have all been under acheivers. IMO we need a football minded person on the board who has the insight to employ somebody with a decent track record and experience. Petrie is good at watching the pennys, but Sir Tom should step in and look to appoint someone like Eddie Turnbull who knows the game inside out.

jdships
04-10-2010, 07:23 PM
Tom farmer has to take some responsibility in the mess we find ourselves in at present. His appointment of Rod Petrie has in a financial sense been a success, but in footballing terms has been a failure. His appoinments of managers such as Mixu, yogi, have all been under acheivers. IMO we need a football minded person on the board who has the insight to employ somebody with a decent track record and experience. Petrie is good at watching the pennys, but Sir Tom should step in and look to appoint someone like Eddie Turnbull who knows the game inside out.

:yawn:

easty
04-10-2010, 07:25 PM
Nah. Tom Farmer has done plenty for Hibs, more than he had to. He owes us nothing and won't get involved in looking for the new man.

Kevvy1875
04-10-2010, 07:30 PM

Get a grip man. What mess? Hardly a mess, yes a bad run but not a mess.

The manager didn't come up to scratch and the problem has been addressed. Onwards and upwards now I say. We have 30 games still to go this season and if we put a good string of results together then we could quickly find ourselves back up with Well and Utd.

For defenition of a mess you should google 'Heart of Midlothian FC Wiki'

Read that and you will feel much, much better afterwards.

The_Todd
04-10-2010, 07:34 PM
STF had no real reason to rescue us when he did. He didn't care for football let alone Hibs. He saved us from oblivion, many of us would be Yams if it wasn't for him (the younger generation bought up in a one-team city, mostly) and he's left the day-to-day running to Rod which has mostly been a success.

STF deserves no criticism for doing nothing more than digging deep into his pocket to save us.

HibsMax
04-10-2010, 07:37 PM
For those people who think that RP and the board are only concerned with the financial matters, I ask you this.

How much fiscal sense does it make to build a football club that doesn't perform?

If RP was concerned with the finances, and I believe he is, it behooves him to make Hibs as successful as humanly possible because that would generate more revenue e.g., season ticket sales, larger gates, more merchandise, etc. if he doesn't care about gates then why go to all the trouble of investing money elsewhere at the club? Maybe he's positioning the club for a sale? I don't know.

Would we build a new training facility for a team that nobody cares about?
Would we build a new stand for a team that nobody cares about?

We have to use a little common sense and see that the club is being built up over time.

There is a definite chicken and egg argument. Should we build up the football first or the infrastructure. Hibs went with the latter. Was that the smartest thing to do? Nobody without a crystal ball knows the answer to that question.

Albion Hibs
04-10-2010, 07:39 PM

Really foolish post. Perhaps you are just a bit upset that you cant do your usual yogi bashing session this evening.

Tom Farmer saved our club and has built it into a facility over a good period of time. We are in a strong position, would you rather trade that for debt, like the hertz. The plan has always been to build something for the club, it started and finished with our stadium - something I never thought I would see, and in between provided an outstanding training facility.

The simple fact is what mortgages and debt we have will be paid off over the coming years, and the only area we can spend on is the pitch, perhaps increasing what wages we pay, and moving on to paying for a player.

The unfortunate thing is that is not enough for some Hibs fans, they want everything we have and everything else in addition. Dont know where this level of expectation comes from, but until it stops we are in bother.

I would not change a thing about the setup of our club and how it is run, and I would not for a moment look in the direction or Sir Tom for blame about anything.

easty
04-10-2010, 07:39 PM
STF had no real reason to rescue us when he did. He didn't care for football let alone Hibs. He saved us from oblivion, many of us would be Yams if it wasn't for him (the younger generation bought up in a one-team city, mostly) and he's left the day-to-day running to Rod which has mostly been a success.

STF deserves no criticism for doing nothing more than digging deep into his pocket to save us.

Totally agree with you on this one...(still not having your Calderwood chat though!! :wink:)

Barney McGrew
04-10-2010, 07:43 PM
It was only a matter of time.

So far we've had threads blaming Yogi, Petrie, the players, the entire board of directors and the fans.

It's only fair STF should have one too so he doesn't feel left out :rolleyes:

The_Todd
04-10-2010, 07:43 PM
There is a definite chicken and egg argument. Should we build up the football first or the infrastructure. Hibs went with the latter. Was that the smartest thing to do? Nobody without a crystal ball knows the answer to that question.

Yes, because say we spent the millions that went on the stadium into the team. Ok, we'd be doing well (though no more than 3rd and 4th given the still massive gulf between us and the OF) and selling out some weeks but we'd be restricted badly by the old East Stand, the old Main stand, reduced capacities in FF and South stands because we'd have just replaced terracing with a few seats. We'd then need to upgrade the stadium, cutting capacity further during the works and pulling resources away from a successful team making it unsuccessful.

Doing it infrastructure first is sensible IMO. It won't need done again for a very, very long time - but it was badly needing done before all 4 stands were rebuilt.

Winston Ingram
04-10-2010, 07:45 PM
I think they should take some advice on the next appointment

Sauzee, Blobby, Mowbray, JC, Mixu and Yogi

1 success out of 5. 3 of which were disasters and JC was on his way to being until he jumped

HibsMax
04-10-2010, 07:46 PM
Yes, because say we spent the millions that went on the stadium into the team. Ok, we'd be doing well (though no more than 3rd and 4th given the still massive gulf between us and the OF) and selling out some weeks but we'd be restricted badly by the old East Stand, the old Main stand, reduced capacities in FF and South stands because we'd have just replaced terracing with a few seats. We'd then need to upgrade the stadium, cutting capacity further during the works and pulling resources away from a successful team making it unsuccessful.

Doing it infrastructure first is sensible IMO. It won't need done again for a very, very long time - but it was badly needing done before all 4 stands were rebuilt.
I agree with that decision, too, Todd. I didn't mean to imply I was questioning the decision by asking the question in the first place.

I want a Hibs that will be around for a long time, not just a flash in the pan for a season or two.

The_Todd
04-10-2010, 07:47 PM
I agree with that decision, too, Todd. I didn't mean to imply I was questioning the decision by asking the question in the first place.

I want a Hibs that will be around for a long time, not just a flash in the pan for a season or two.

I didn't think you were, but it was a good question which deserved an answer.

Moody D
04-10-2010, 08:12 PM
The board have made mistakes yes. Mixu was not an option after so many failed to renew s/t's for 2009/10. They had to change - perhaps not the right decision.
They went for Yogi who bluffed the board - and in the short term got a feelgood factor - a Hibby in charge and a few good early results but was never the man.
In reply to the chicken and egg scenario getting the infrastructure right first is paramount. Results and personnel are temporary and can change for the better/worse. As we saw in the dark days of Mercer our infrastructure was wrong and it was nearly Hibernian no more.
Trust the Board - Hibs are the most likely team to provide a sustainable challenge to the Old Firm in the next 10 years. The next move will be for the better.

DH1875
04-10-2010, 09:03 PM
The board need to think long and hard about our next move. Eight managers in the space of ten years is a joke by anyones standards. How does any club expect to have any success with a record like that. With no clear cut candidit this time round it will be intresting to see which route they go down. It will give us a good insight as to the aims and ambition of the board.

sesoim
04-10-2010, 09:56 PM

I agree with most of that, but to be honest I think they HAD to show each guy the door when they did. Really, Petrie doesn't deserve to have the right to make the decision this time - his last three appointments haven't worked out and Hughes really was a joke appointment made to please a section of the support.

This time, the board should be looking at a guy in his 50s who has already proved at least a couple of times that he can do a job and knows the SPL well so he will get results pretty quickly.

(His initals are JC by the way :wink:) .