PDA

View Full Version : The likely candidates

HibeeSince85
04-10-2010, 11:16 AM
Just a few of the names put on here, any preference?

smurf
04-10-2010, 11:18 AM
Proven track record. Experience.

LancashireHibby
04-10-2010, 11:21 AM
Butcher or Coleman for me. Not sure either would want the job though.

Elephant Stone
04-10-2010, 11:21 AM
Not Jimmy Calderwood. That's all I can decide for the moment.

blaikie
04-10-2010, 11:22 AM
Bruce Rioch would do a great job I reckon :agree:

Dalkeith
04-10-2010, 11:24 AM
Mark Venus with tony as his assistant:greengrin

Sir David Gray
04-10-2010, 11:26 AM
I would take Calderwood but I wouldn't take anybody else on that list to be honest.

s2hart
04-10-2010, 12:10 PM
Proven track record. Experience.

I agree totally, Experience is the key for me, we need a bit of stability in the club, 8 managers in 10 years is no good!!

Spike Mandela
04-10-2010, 12:10 PM
Why no Mowbray in the poll?

Wembley67
04-10-2010, 12:12 PM
Jim McInally?

tomhorn
04-10-2010, 12:17 PM
I heard Michael O'Neil has already been approached. He may be one of many though.

heretoday
04-10-2010, 12:19 PM
Why no Jocky Scott?

I want Jocky Scott.

Beefster
04-10-2010, 12:21 PM
Despite never having been a manager proper, Steve Clarke has tons of experience and you don't get world-class players singing your praises by being terrible at your job. We couldn't attract him though.

HibeeSince85
04-10-2010, 12:25 PM

Because there is more chance of the next name on the managers door being mine than his,.

There is the last poll option though:greengrin

emmjayfox
04-10-2010, 12:34 PM
I will be very surprised if a few guys from this forum dont apply for the job, they seem to know exactly how the job should be done. :duck:

Pretty Boy
Why no Jocky Scott?

I want Jocky Scott.

If we thought Duff Jimmy arriving in a helicopter was embarassing, whats it going to be like when Jocky arrives with his jet pack on his back?

Then again Jocky is pure teckle and he'd show the prima donnas in our dressing room 'whas in charge here eh'.

Spudster
Calderwood. Aberdeen massively over achieved with him in charge (as did Dunfy) with possibly their worst ever squad. We are massively under achieving at the minute. I don't like him but he could do the job.

NOLA
04-10-2010, 12:38 PM
Calderwood, Colin :wink:

KWJ
04-10-2010, 12:39 PM
No chance Craig Brown would come, proud Lanarkshire auld man.

Would happily take McInnes out of them. Would take Paulo Sousa.

hibsdaft
04-10-2010, 12:44 PM
Calderwood... I don't like him but he could do the job.

i don't like him or want him to get it, but i can't help feeling he's the man for the job right now. give him til summer ?

Pretty Boy
04-10-2010, 12:53 PM
Calderwood, Colin :wink:

:bitchy: No, no and no again.

I'd rather have Jimmy.

Seanair
04-10-2010, 12:56 PM
Tam McCourt?

(((Fergus)))
04-10-2010, 12:56 PM
I will be very surprised if a few guys from this forum dont apply for the job, they seem to know exactly how the job should be done. :duck:

I hope to Gd that AGL applies :agree:

emmjayfox
04-10-2010, 01:04 PM

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

hibeemarley
04-10-2010, 01:07 PM
Martin O'Neill aye haha.

(((Fergus)))
04-10-2010, 01:21 PM
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

With Green Brazil as his assistant :thumbsup:

Spike Mandela
04-10-2010, 01:28 PM
Because there is more chance of the next name on the managers door being mine than his,.

There is the last poll option though:greengrin

Why? Seems the obvious choice to me:confused:

HibeeSince85
04-10-2010, 01:33 PM
Why? Seems the obvious choice to me:confused:

His time with Hibs has been and gone I think, I'm not saying I would not have him back, I probably would, just don't see even the slightest bit of a chance that he will be considered/want it.

Stevie Reid
04-10-2010, 01:34 PM
Calderwood. Aberdeen massively over achieved with him in charge (as did Dunfy) with possibly their worst ever squad. We are massively under achieving at the minute. I don't like him but he could do the job.

Calderwood had money to spend at both clubs. For example, Dunfermline took Brewster when we couldn't afford to keep him, and Aberdeen spent around £250K each on Barry Nicholson and Steve Lovell, and had players like Severin on big wages.

His SPL record is undeniably good, but I would feel so uninspired by his appointment.

steakbake
04-10-2010, 01:37 PM
None of the above, I reckon.

Holmesdale Hibs
04-10-2010, 01:44 PM
Calderwood had money to spend at both clubs. For example, Dunfermline took Brewster when we couldn't afford to keep him, and Aberdeen spent around £250K each on Barry Nicholson and Steve Lovell, and had players like Severin on big wages.

His SPL record is undeniably good, but I would feel so uninspired by his appointment.

:agree:

From the list I would choose Martin O'Neill or Craig Brown but I doubt either would come.

I would rather take a punt on Michael O'Neill or another relative unkonwn than have the 2 Jimmys.

Hibernia Na Eir
04-10-2010, 01:59 PM
NO Calderwood NO!

He's GASH:agree:

offshorehibby
I've voted Steve Clarke who was my choice last time down side no experiance out on his own and might desert if somebody biger came in.
Terry Butcher could be the experianced safe pair of hands.
With Ian McParland as a bit of a wild card.

Stevie Reid
:agree:

From the list I would choose Martin O'Neill or Craig Brown but I doubt either would come.

I would rather take a punt on Michael O'Neill or another relative unkonwn than have the 2 Jimmys.

I think the only way that Brown would turn down Hibs would be through doing the honourable thing and seeing out his contract, imho. The infrastructure and potential for growth at Hibs and at Motherwell are like night and day - this could be his last chance to leave a lasting legacy in football seeing as most people choose to overlook his considerable achievements with Scotland.

The only way that we can possibly reach our potential is by qualifying for the group stage of the Europa League, increasing the core support and improving the squad with the extra revenue - all whilst bringing through quality young players. CB took Motherwell to within 90 mins of the league stage this year. Another thing I left out of the list of reasons to go with Brown earlier was his achievements with Scotland youth teams too - World Cup Final with the U16s and Euro Championship semi finals with the U21s. Would be a great figure to sort the set up at East Mains.

CB ticks many boxes as a potential Hibs manager.

HIBERNIAN 1875
04-10-2010, 02:01 PM
McInnes, Rioch or Coleman for me.

eeyawe
04-10-2010, 02:04 PM
going to get alot of stick for this i think but what are people thoughts on John Mcglynn

i would like mikey oneil but worried about the ex player thing hasnt really worked for us.

would like someone who has not managered in scotland for a while or never with fresh ideas and attackign football, bruce rioch or ne other

ScottB
04-10-2010, 02:09 PM
I've voted Steve Clarke who was my choice last time down side no experiance out on his own and might desert if somebody biger came in.
Terry Butcher could be the experianced safe pair of hands.
With Ian McParland as a bit of a wild card.

My thoughts as well last time, highly experienced even though it;s as a number two, it is still at a much higher level than the SPL. Would have good contacts down South also.

I think it's vital we get someone in who has good contacts in the Premiership / Chamionship for recruiting young reserve players from these sorts of clubs. A big potential market for us.

What I don't want is another SPL Merry go round manager, somebody new please! Craig Brown or McInness are the only two I'd consider from the SPL.

hibby rae
04-10-2010, 02:10 PM
Alan Pardew

NOLA
04-10-2010, 02:10 PM
Gus MacPherson still looking for a job?

HibeeDaz6270
04-10-2010, 02:25 PM
going to get alot of stick for this i think but what are people thoughts on John Mcglynn

i would like mikey oneil but worried about the ex player thing hasnt really worked for us.

would like someone who has not managered in scotland for a while or never with fresh ideas and attackign football, bruce rioch or ne other

No thanks. John Mcglynn has done a good job at raith but definately not someone i would like to see at Hibs. Would be a very poor appointment in my eyes.

Mikeystewart
04-10-2010, 02:33 PM
Craig Brown has already publicly stated Motherwell will be his last job in football. Would be surprised for him to make such a U-turn.

yekimevol
04-10-2010, 03:50 PM
the names i came up with were.

mowbray, calderwood, Paulo Sousa(wages prob),pardew, McInnes, adams, lazlo, michael oneil, and mark venus.

i would be happy with any of these (iffy on lazo)

Purehibee_MYB
04-10-2010, 03:54 PM
Alan Pardew

Agreed

Or Billy Stark

brog
04-10-2010, 04:02 PM
Craig Brown has already publicly stated Motherwell will be his last job in football. Would be surprised for him to make such a U-turn.

What Oor Craigie says & does are 2 different things. Remember if he was to come he'd bring the bampot that is Archie Knox with him. I've always liked Terry Butcher. I remember him summarising on 5 when we went to LC final under Blobby & his football knowledge, combined with an in depth knowledge of Hibs was excellent.
To quote RP, he ticks all the right boxes!!

The_Todd
04-10-2010, 04:20 PM
At least 3 of these are not "likely"

w.connectionfc
04-10-2010, 04:51 PM

I,ll second that, AGL for manager, he talks a good game

Brando7
04-10-2010, 05:36 PM
Strachan :greengrin

He be out of a job soon i recon

Jones28
04-10-2010, 05:50 PM

Going back to old managers = big no no

If any, I would bring John Collins back, not Mowbray

NAE NOOKIE
04-10-2010, 05:54 PM
Craig Brown for me from that list coz of his work with Scotland and Motherwell.

McInnes has done a great job at St Johnston and Adams is definately worth watching.

But once again we would be taking a chance with two guys who dont have a long standing track record, though it can work. Mogga, Owen Coyle etc.

Apart from that none of the others on the list float my boat to be honest.

I know the likes of Martin O'Neill should be way out of our reach. But he must be minted by now and if the job was pitched to him along the lines of ' Wouldnt you like to be the manager who finally sticks it to the ugly sisters ? ' whos to say he might not be attracted by the challenge rather than the money.

I know ... Its time to go for a wee sleep in a dark room.

:greengrin

Glasgow Hibee
04-10-2010, 06:22 PM
I voted for Paw Broon but another name just occurred to me....

What about Eric Black. Has had a couple of goes with Motherwell and Coventry where he didn't do to bad and has some good experience now as assistant with Steve Bruce.

Maybe time for another shot at being the gaffer ?

Gala Foxes
04-10-2010, 07:42 PM

Paulo Sousa ? - you are having a laugh, take at look at Leicester's results this season. I witnessed his clueless tactics at Burnley in August - he had a player mutiny at City after 2 months in charge

essexhibee
04-10-2010, 08:20 PM
I would jizz myself if we got steve clarke,

no danger though he was on huge wages at west ham.

New Corrie
04-10-2010, 08:24 PM
Paul Dickov
Eric Black

Jonnyboy
04-10-2010, 08:29 PM
Paul Dickov
Eric Black

That's a name I've mentioned before D. :agree:

Irish_Steve
04-10-2010, 08:31 PM
Whats Kevin Keegan doing these days??:party::party::party:

West Stand View
04-10-2010, 08:32 PM
Whoever we go for I believe we need to go for experience this time round although no doubt we will be on a limited budget which will make it a bit more of a challenge.

greenlad
04-10-2010, 08:33 PM
My shortlist:

Ian McParland
Jim Gannon
Bruce Rioch
Phil Brown

We need someone with a bit of attitude, someone a bit abrasive and unlikeable who will shake things up and take no s*** - as Jose Mourinho and Neil Warnock are currently in a job one of the above list would do for me.

new malkyhib
04-10-2010, 08:34 PM

and therein lies the perennial issue with Rod Petrie. Dunfermilne outbidding us for players FFS. Funny enough it was Calderwood who said at the time "I've signed Hibs best player" and he was right.

Last Minute
04-10-2010, 08:38 PM
Eric black for me :wink:

New Corrie
04-10-2010, 08:38 PM
That's a name I've mentioned before D. :agree:

I think he would be a great shout, but he's stated in the past that he's reluctant to move his kids (schooling and all that) which is fair enough. He is very highly respected within the game.

Leicester Fan
04-10-2010, 08:49 PM

Seriously don't.

Chris Coleman is the most over rated manager in the country. Steve Clarke is always linked to every job but never seems to get one. Might be worth trying.

marleyhib
04-10-2010, 08:52 PM
Would be happy with Brown, McInnes or even Butcher, I could see it being Michael O'Neill but the list of x players who have failed is getting too long for my liking.

Yogi, Mixu, Big Frank ...

Maybe we should get wee Russell in and get half of Trinidad and Tobago playing for us, in-fact he could start.

Whoever we get in I would like to see someone who can short term create a Hibs side that can win nasty, we have been far too lightweight for too long. I want to see Hibs win :)

Oscar T Grouch
04-10-2010, 08:52 PM
I wouldnae mind trying for Paul Lambert at Norwich, worth a punt, compo would be a bit of a problem but I reckon he'd want to have a go in Scotland

Emerald
04-10-2010, 08:57 PM
Craig Brown is 70 years old is he not? Is this really the way forward? He's done well in his short time at Motherwell but I just think we should be looking for someone within retirement age.

iHIBS
04-10-2010, 08:57 PM
What about Pat Fenlon?

Black Kyle
04-10-2010, 09:01 PM
Steve Coppell anyone? Decent manager and decent bloke from interviews I've seen.

sparkiehibs
04-10-2010, 09:09 PM
John McGlynn

Took Raith Rovers from 7th in 2nd Division in 2006 to 2nd in 1st Division this week

Good Up and Coming Manager

Not sure if he is ready but is a better option than most suggested i.e. Calderwood, Butcher

NOLA
04-10-2010, 09:14 PM
Steve Coppell anyone? Decent manager and decent bloke from interviews I've seen.

has said he is done with football, a man who has depression issues.

DH1875
04-10-2010, 09:56 PM

What is all this Sousa crap. You not the only one but why anyone would want him I don't know.
Agree with you on Brown. There is no chance of him coming

My shortlist:

Jim Gannon

No thanks. I'd rather take Calderwood AND shoot myself.

No chance. He has finished with football.

Can people please, please forget about Mowbray. Why don't people on here get that he is sitting on his bum taking in 20k a week doing duck all. It's been posted on here more than enough times. Do people really think he would come back for 3k-4k. Also the diff in the team we had then to the team we have now is like night and day.
I can't see the board going for anyone who is in a job as they wont be wanting to pay the comp.

Any how I'd like to put forward;

Stuart McCall
Kevin Blackwell
Paul Hart.

broonie27
04-10-2010, 10:19 PM
I went for Rioch. He's a very wise manager and used to working with pretty tight budgets in Scandinavia. He's already stated he'd like to manage in Scotland before he retires.

Please, please, please NO tangoman. I will never visit ER while he is manager. Then again I'm in New Zeeland so that's not too much of a wrench :wink:

HibeeSince85
04-10-2010, 10:28 PM
has said he is done with football, a man who has depression issues.

Could you imagine what managing Hibs would do for that!