PDA

View Full Version : Craig Brown

HibeeSince85
04-10-2010, 09:43 AM
A year ago, I would never have imagined myself supporting him to be the next Hibs manager but has done eally well at Motherwell, both domestic and in europe.

Experienced and plays a decent quality of football, Petrie may have a few supises up his sleeve ala TM but Brown could be the right man at the right time.

glow1875
04-10-2010, 09:49 AM
He's at a club whose expectations are a lot lower than ours. I'm not saying it wouldn't work, but a lot of managers struggle moving to a bigger club.

HibeeSince85
04-10-2010, 09:52 AM
As big as risk as appointing any manager, There will be many names that Hibs are considering that we probably wont even get wind of but off the top of my head, he seems the most realistic choice, not a bad one either.

Bob Box Fish
04-10-2010, 09:53 AM
Please no

Musselbound
04-10-2010, 09:57 AM
I wouldn't object too much to Craig Brown but I think there is a big tendency for fans to opt for flavour of the month appointments so to speak. Certainly not lacking in experience which is a big plus but would people be so keen if Motherwell were mid-table at the moment rather than third? It was the same with Mark McGhee a couple of years ago but I doubt if there are many would fancy him right now.

weonlywon6-2
04-10-2010, 10:01 AM
He's at a club whose expectations are a lot lower than ours. I'm not saying it wouldn't work, but a lot of managers struggle moving to a bigger club.

managing scotland at a world cup isnt a high level ??

SlickShoes
04-10-2010, 10:07 AM
I don't see any reason he would even want to move from motherwell to hibs at this stage in his life or ever. They are doing better than us consistently, there are less ridiculous expectations and a man of his age doesn't want or need the stress of going from managing the third place team to relegation candidates.

M11BMO
04-10-2010, 10:08 AM
managing scotland at a world cup isnt a high level ??

Exactly what I was thinking.

Stevie Reid
04-10-2010, 10:08 AM
I've said many positive things about him in another thread: -

I would like to see his record since he took over at Motherwell a year ago, they have been excellent.

He also took them to the verge of Europa League qualification which would be the height of our ambition at the moment.

I would also like to add that I believe that we would be less likely to lose Brown if we were to do well, as I would be very surprised if the OF or English Championship or above were to come calling.

I believe that a 3 year contract with Knox as his assistant and another coach learning his trade under him, with the ultimate goal of him taking over as manager, would be ideal - this could combine our twin desires for a younger coach with more experienced mentor. Billy Davies worked as his assistant for a number of years and he didn't turn out too badly.

Brown could then move to a Director of Football role perhaps.

Led Scotland to Euro 96 and WC 98 qualification, achievements that look all the more impressive with each passing year.

Stevie Reid
04-10-2010, 10:09 AM
I don't see any reason he would even want to move from motherwell to hibs at this stage in his life or ever. They are doing better than us consistently, there are less ridiculous expectations and a man of his age doesn't want or need the stress of going from managing the third place team to relegation candidates.

The Hibs job would appeal to Brown - probably the biggest club job he can expect to get at this stage in his career.

HibeeSince85
04-10-2010, 10:11 AM

I would like to see his record since he took over at Motherwell a year ago, they have been excellent.

He also took them to the verge of Europa League qualification which would be the height of our ambition at the moment.

I would also like to add that I believe that we would be less likely to lose Brown if we were to do well, as I would be very surprised if the OF or English Championship or above were to come calling.

I believe that a 3 year contract with Knox as his assistant and another coach learning his trade under him, with the ultimate goal of him taking over as manager, would be ideal - this could combine our twin desires for a younger coach with more experienced mentor. Billy Davies worked as his assistant for a number of years and he didn't turn out too badly.

Led Scotland to Euro 96 and WC 98 qualification, achievements that look all the more impressive with each passing year.

I like this scenario...I also don't think he's as past at as some think, yeah he's 71 but football is in his blood, the chance to take the pressures of managing a bigger and better club like Hibs would appeal to him rather than put him off I think.

Andy74
04-10-2010, 10:13 AM

Yes, but our form was the manager's fault by all accounts so surely we are now just a team a few points off third at a very early stage and presumably with a new manager who will make all the difference?

Hibs are a much bigger club overall than motherwell and if we wanted him i'm sure he would see it as a chance to do even better things than he could at motherwell.

I wouldn't have thought it a year ago either but what people seem to want is a winning team and he has been producing those sho whay would there be much objection?

We've done the reach for the stars go with guys who had wide ranging visions stuff and it hasn't worked.

.SeventyFive
04-10-2010, 10:14 AM
I agree. I think he has done a great job at Motherwell and has a vast understanding of the game. Perhaps experience is exactly what we need right now after 3 inexperienced managers.

Love the Green
04-10-2010, 10:15 AM

How do you see competting for 3rd spot and a possible good run in the cups as RIDICULOUS EXPECTATIONS especially when teams with 1/4 of the revenue we produce Killie both Saints Hamilton and Inverness can perform better and sign better, hungrier and more pacey players than us.

"keep the faith":wink:

glow1875
04-10-2010, 10:15 AM
I'm not saying he hasn't managed at the highest level, I'm talking about expectations - which we as Hibs fans are a touch unreasonable about. Roy Hodgson has managed at a high level, and internationally, and did a great job with Fulham. However looks like he's struggling at Liverpool, time will tell I suppose.

HibeeSince85
04-10-2010, 10:20 AM
I'm not saying he hasn't managed at the highest level, I'm talking about expectations - which we as Hibs fans are a touch unreasonable about. Roy Hodgson has managed at a high level, and internationally, and did a great job with Fulham. However looks like he's struggling at Liverpool, time will tell I suppose.

Liverpool ae a club that is in complete turmoil, much more so than Hibs. from top to bottom they need help.

The expectations at Hibs are not as unrealistic as people seem to think, Yogi was on a horrendous run and has paid for it, Challenging for 3rd and good cup runs is exactly what should be expected fom any manager of not only Hibs but Aberdeen, Utd and Hearts.

Dalkeith
04-10-2010, 10:21 AM
last time we got a manager from motherwell we got relegated:boo hoo: then ended up with 2 of the best players i have ever seen at hibs in frank and latapy

glow1875
04-10-2010, 10:24 AM
You're probably right about Liverpool. What about Allardyce at Newcastle then, or Curbishley at West Ham? When they go from being 'under dogs' (I know, yogi quote) to a team that expects to win, but without vastly greater resources, it's a totally different job. I'd take Craig Brown just now, I just think the obvious choice isn't always the best one.

SlickShoes
04-10-2010, 10:30 AM
Yes, but our form was the manager's fault by all accounts so surely we are now just a team a few points off third at a very early stage and presumably with a new manager who will make all the difference?

Hibs are a much bigger club overall than motherwell and if we wanted him i'm sure he would see it as a chance to do even better things than he could at motherwell.

I wouldn't have thought it a year ago either but what people seem to want is a winning team and he has been producing those sho whay would there be much objection?

We've done the reach for the stars go with guys who had wide ranging visions stuff and it hasn't worked.

From your first paragraph i dont believe whats wrong with hibs is all about the managers. Anyone looking to come here has to look at that and wonder what is wrong.

3 managers all started well for 4 or so months, all went on a massive losing streak/terrible performances and either left or got sacked, all only lasting about a year in the job.

Should that pattern continue into a fourth manager i dont think anyone can deny something is fundamentally wrong with hibs.

I would like to believe we can attract someone with experience i just dont think we are in that position. If we are able to then thats great and i will support whoever takes the job fully.

HibeeSince85
04-10-2010, 10:31 AM
You're probably right about Liverpool. What about Allardyce at Newcastle then, or Curbishley at West Ham? When they go from being 'under dogs' (I know, yogi quote) to a team that expects to win, but without vastly greater resources, it's a totally different job. I'd take Craig Brown just now, I just think the obvious choice isn't always the best one.

I agree, any appointment is a risk, you don't know what is going to happen.

I'm done with the policy of appointing less experienced managers with Hibs ties.

Let's go with experience and someone who could even see out half the contact we give them.

Stevie Reid
04-10-2010, 10:37 AM
From your first paragraph i dont believe whats wrong with hibs is all about the managers. Anyone looking to come here has to look at that and wonder what is wrong.

3 managers all started well for 4 or so months, all went on a massive losing streak/terrible performances and either left or got sacked, all only lasting about a year in the job.

Should that pattern continue into a fourth manager i dont think anyone can deny something is fundamentally wrong with hibs.

I would like to believe we can attract someone with experience i just dont think we are in that position. If we are able to then thats great and i will support whoever takes the job fully.

We seem to be going through a similar period to Dundee Utd when they went through McCall, Chisholm and Brewster all in quick succession - I suppose they eventually got it right and haven't looked back since Levein really. It is worth noting that we have struggled nowhere near as badly as Utd did under those 3 managers.

With the way of the football world these days, we are unlikely to have a manager for much more than a season - good ones will be poached, and underachievers will be gone by mutual consent. This is another reason why I believe Brown would be a good appointment, think he would stay put even if we are successful.

SlickShoes
04-10-2010, 10:41 AM
We seem to be going through a similar period to Dundee Utd when they went through McCall, Chisholm and Brewster all in quick succession - I suppose they eventually got it right and haven't looked back since Levein really. It is worth noting that we have struggled nowhere near as badly as Utd did under those 3 managers.

With the way of the football world these days, we are unlikely to have a manager for much more than a season - good ones will be poached, and underachievers will be gone by mutual consent. This is another reason why I believe Brown would be a good appointment, think he would stay put even if we are successful.

Aye i agree, we need some stability and it would be great to get someone in that wont leave at the first sign of more money or a bigger job. I think those days are long gone in football now, its rare to find someone loyal to a club.

Arch Stanton
04-10-2010, 10:50 AM
Craig Brown certainly had the nonce to hook up with a more gritty personality in Archie Knox.

I hope our next manager shows similar good sense.

Vini1875
04-10-2010, 11:15 AM
Brown would be good for Hibs plus Knox, but I would be concerned if at this stage of competing with Motherwell he jumped ship. We need stability and someone who is prepared to be at Hibs for a longer haul. I think Brown and Motherwell are a perfect fit and he would be nuts to take on the Hibs job.

Bad Martini
04-10-2010, 11:27 AM
Reckon I'm 50/50 on auld Pa Broon....

On the one hand, he was the last manager to take the National Team to any finals...that counts for something with me and given the sheite we've seen since, it's a long overdue joy we've all suffered thanks to the successors who have been "bawbags" ... the 2 judas huns excepted who, were actually, "unlucky" and/or "cheated by the ****ing italians"....

On the other hand, he was renowned for being really really really bloody boring. Hard to beat, but ultimately boring....and we all know aboot the auld "if you want enterainment...." type approach.

Who knows, Broon and Hibs might work. I can think of lots of far worse people we could appoint....I can think of a few better though, maybes....

HIBERNIAN-0762
04-10-2010, 11:37 AM

Good post and agreed

500miles
04-10-2010, 11:37 AM
Brown is probably one of few "experienced" managers I would take at Hibs.

While his Scotland team were boring, his Motherwell team seem pretty intent on playing good football any time I've seen them. Furthermore, he has managed at a higher level, but is now only restricted by age.

Stevie Reid
04-10-2010, 12:05 PM
Just added up CB's record in all competitive matches since he was appointed last December: -

P 37
W 19
D 8
L 10

Lost more than I remembered, but a 50% win ratio over the equivalent no. of games as an SPL season is not to be sniffed at.

The_Horde
04-10-2010, 12:12 PM
Regardless of whether Brown is the right candidate.. we definitely need someone like him who the players get on with but also respect.

KWJ
04-10-2010, 12:41 PM
The Hibs job would appeal to Brown - probably the biggest club job he can expect to get at this stage in his career.

No it wouldn't. He's a Lanarkshire man and is all about Motherwell/Airdrie and co.

Seep
04-10-2010, 03:15 PM
Would be a shrewd appointment IMO. With him not being under a contract at Motherwell, you could go and talk to him and wouldn't owe compensation. I reckon he would make Hibs hard to break down and a decent SPL side.

Stevie Reid
04-10-2010, 03:18 PM
Would be a shrewd appointment IMO. With him not being under a contract at Motherwell, you could go and talk to him and wouldn't owe compensation. I reckon he would make Hibs hard to break down and a decent SPL side.

He signed an 18 month contract with Motherwell in February.

cabbageandribs1875
04-10-2010, 03:33 PM

He signed an 18 month contract with Motherwell in February.

not according to this article in may he hasnt http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/motherwell/8686957.stm

Brown and Knox will be at the helm of the Lanarkshire club next season, despite not being offered a contract by Motherwell chairman John Boyle.

"There's no need for a contract. There is good understanding and good mutual respect," said the former Clyde and Preston manager.

Stevie Reid
04-10-2010, 03:37 PM
not according to this article in may he hasnt http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/motherwell/8686957.stm

Brown and Knox will be at the helm of the Lanarkshire club next season, despite not being offered a contract by Motherwell chairman John Boyle.

"There's no need for a contract. There is good understanding and good mutual respect," said the former Clyde and Preston manager.

Oh right. I read a newspaper report this morning that said he had signed an 18 month contract, but that BBC article is more recent.

Nothing should stop us approaching him then.

New Corrie
04-10-2010, 03:40 PM
No way, not a Hibs man, endorses hoofball, not Hibs class, probably a hun, his football makes your eyes bleed, doesn't know how to play the Hibs way, etc etc

cabbageandribs1875
04-10-2010, 03:40 PM
Oh right. I read a newspaper report this morning that said he had signed an 18 month contract, but that BBC article is more recent.

Nothing should stop us approaching him then.

i was already under the impression he was working without a contract, i just googled to back up my thoughts :wink:

Dashing Bob S
04-10-2010, 03:43 PM
Craig Brown certainly had the nonce to hook up with a more gritty personality in Archie Knox.

I hope our next manager shows similar good sense.

I hadn't realised that Graham Rix was part of Craig Browns management team.

Great to see him back in the Scottish game, I suppose, even if he's only involved in the school of hard Knox.

Dashing Bob S
04-10-2010, 03:46 PM

Always thought he was a Yams manager in waiting, and this confirms it. I wouldn't have him in the dug out in your stand.

Houchy
04-10-2010, 03:59 PM
last time we got a manager from motherwell we got relegated:boo hoo: then ended up with 2 of the best players i have ever seen at hibs in frank and latapy

Yes we did but that was nothing to do with McLeish. That was due to the damage Duff Jimmy had done in the months before.

Our new manager has a lot more time than what Mcleish had to steady the ship and accumulate points (i'd hope) to avoid relegation. I reckon that if Mcleish had been brought in 6 weeks earlier, we would never have been relegated.

Arch Stanton
04-10-2010, 04:51 PM
No it wouldn't. He's a Lanarkshire man and is all about Motherwell/Airdrie and co.

Clubs played for :- Rangers (youth), Dundee, Falkirk
Clubs Managed - Clyde (at Shawfield), Scotland (U21 and full), Preston North End, Motherwell

He might be a Lanarkshire man but he clearly isn't afraid to take the bus to work in other places.

Arch Stanton
04-10-2010, 05:15 PM
I hadn't realised that Graham Rix was part of Craig Browns management team.

Great to see him back in the Scottish game, I suppose, even if he's only involved in the school of hard Knox.

:agree:
Indeed - having the nonce isn't such a great plan. Maybe if I had used 'nous' instead my post would have made a modicum of sense.

Ferryhibby
04-10-2010, 05:50 PM
would much rather have him than calderwood, the job he's doin at motherwell is pretty good very experienced ex international manager with contacts everywhere

Alex Trager
04-10-2010, 05:51 PM
He may attract some of the boys from motherwell btw