PDA

View Full Version : What is the new manager's first task?

hibhib7
04-10-2010, 09:05 AM
Saving us from relegation would be my criteria for this season. Whoever comes in will have a hell of a job with the players we've got. Yogi wasn't to blame for Stokes going and Duffy being injured but, apart from that, he's left a legacy for the next manager that few would envy. Deeks aside, we have nothing up front, no pace, and our midfield are restricted to a tight passing game as there is absolutely no width in the side. The January window will have to be used wisely to get a couple of players who can keep us in the Premier League.

Lastly, good luck to Yogi. He had to got yet he is well-liked amongst the supporters and I hope that some of the players at Easter Road feel embarrassed at their part in making him lose the job he loved.

bawheid
04-10-2010, 09:06 AM
Lastly, good luck to Yogi. He had to got yet he is well-liked amongst the supporters and I hope that some of the players at Easter Road feel embarrassed at their part in making him lose the job he loved.

Why would they? They've done it to the last three managers.

As long as their wages go in and they can have a beer and a scrap up the town on a Saturday night they're quite happy.

Antifa Hibs
04-10-2010, 09:10 AM
Nae chance of relegation. The players will try like **** to impress the new gaffer, all itching for a start. Then Petrie will give him £1m in Janurary to strengthen the squad :cool2::greengrin

easty
04-10-2010, 09:14 AM
I'm expecting a lot more than saving us from relegation.

We're 3 points behind Hearts in 6th! With the right man in we can still finish in the top 6, we have enough good players to do that, as long as the manager gets them playing the way they should be. Drill in some concentration to the back line, Duffy comes into the team and will score goals.

We'll be fine...

Expecting Rain
04-10-2010, 09:20 AM
We have to get some points on the board, starting with a win against Kilmarnock, be a more formidable team at home and a side that is harder to beat away, we have to play with organisation and commitment irrespective of the score and over 90 minutes, this would be a start, any shortcomings can be addressed in January and i`m sure that Rod Petrie has made provisions for the new manager when he arrives, how much backing he will be given will probably be based on how we do from now till then and quite rightly so.

Diclonius
04-10-2010, 09:25 AM
Win a game. :wink:

Speedway
04-10-2010, 09:29 AM
Rattle the player's cages...uh no wait a minute, that's what Yogi did.

Manager with real passion....uh hang on, that was Yogi was.

Manager who can really get players motivated....wait...it's a different set of players that each manager has failed with previously.

Bring in players who'll want to fight for the jersey....uh nope that's what Rankin does.

Sell the fans..yeah that's it...sell the fans...clear out the deadwood.

BurghHibby
04-10-2010, 09:33 AM
Get Liam Miller to put the effort in to make a telling contribution in the middle of the park, never seen such a clean midfielder at the end of a game, not a mark on his kit, quiffed hair still intact etc.

number9dream
04-10-2010, 09:33 AM
Ditch McBride & Miller as the central midfield pairing...

cwilliamson85
04-10-2010, 09:45 AM
Stabling the sinking :titanic:?

bobbyhibs1983
04-10-2010, 09:49 AM
Rattle the player's cages...uh no wait a minute, that's what Yogi did.

Manager with real passion....uh hang on, that was Yogi was.

Manager who can really get players motivated....wait...it's a different set of players that each manager has failed with previously.

Bring in players who'll want to fight for the jersey....uh nope that's what Rankin does.

Sell the fans..yeah that's it...sell the fans...clear out the deadwood.

On your 1st point, Imo, and of course its just my view i dont think yogi rattled anyones cages, From the inpression i got and again its just my view and inpression, he was more pally, hes a buddy not my boss type of realationship yogi had with the players.

Im sure msot people understand that yogi was an ex hibs player an a hibs fan, but can anyone name an instance where he was seen to show passion?
The times ive watched yogi and we have been 1 down has he been out on the touchline trying to encourage the players?drive the players on?
Imo no, From alot of people on the board it seems he was given alot of players abuse,having arguments with them.

all mangers weather your top dogs or at a lower league team have to motorvate and i didn't see much from yogi to surggest it.

As for the O.P's question i think the new managers 1st task is to get every player working together,Just seems we are not working together just now it seems someplayers are going back, soem are going forward and we are not moving in the same way.
I feel the team needs more fitness.QWe have had the training centre for x amount of time, Have the players look fitter than ladt year?do they look better players inproved?

mikey1875
04-10-2010, 09:49 AM
Get Deeks signed on a new contract

hibee4life1983
04-10-2010, 09:50 AM
Getting deek signed up.

mikey1875
04-10-2010, 09:51 AM
Getting deek signed up.

did that almost at the same time lol

Phil MaGlass
04-10-2010, 09:54 AM
Kick the players ar5es and dont get pally with them, get them fit again and up for it.If they dont want to then ship the lazy ****ers out.

Phil MaGlass
04-10-2010, 09:56 AM

We're 3 points behind Hearts in 6th! With the right man in we can still finish in the top 6, we have enough good players to do that, as long as the manager gets them playing the way they should be. Drill in some concentration to the back line, Duffy comes into the team and will score goals.

We'll be fine...

with the team we have 4th should not be out of reach.

Spike Mandela
04-10-2010, 09:56 AM
Ditch McBride & Miller as the central midfield pairing...

:agree::agree:

Speedway
04-10-2010, 09:58 AM
Kick the players ar5es and dont get pally with them, get them fit again and up for it.If they dont want to then ship the lazy ****ers out.

That rules Mowbray out then.

Houchy
04-10-2010, 10:03 AM

:agree:

Need to get the players fitter, sharper and a yard quicker.

J-C
04-10-2010, 10:04 AM
Saving us from relegation would be my criteria for this season. Whoever comes in will have a hell of a job with the players we've got. Yogi wasn't to blame for Stokes going and Duffy being injured but, apart from that, he's left a legacy for the next manager that few would envy. Deeks aside, we have nothing up front, no pace, and our midfield are restricted to a tight passing game as there is absolutely no width in the side. The January window will have to be used wisely to get a couple of players who can keep us in the Premier League.

We do have width, Spoony and Galbraith, unfortunately Yogi didn't know how to use them properly. We have solid midfielders who weren't played in the proper position, Thicot(defensive mid) at rifgt back, Murray at LB when he's lost a bit of pace shoild be in midfield to strengthen and Bamba who was excellent in midfield a couple of seasons ago. Also allowing McCann to go on loan when he's the only real cover at RB if Hart gets injured or suspended, same goes for Byrne.

we have a decent squad, as good as any outside the OF, we just need a manager to play them properly and motivate them without bullying.

HibeeDave
04-10-2010, 10:04 AM
The first job he has to do is get the buy in from the supporters. What better motivation for the team is cheering rather then jeering from the stands.

Love the Green
04-10-2010, 10:17 AM

We'll be fine...

NAME THEM

"keep the faith"

Beefster
04-10-2010, 10:21 AM
Get Deeks signed on a new contract

Getting deek signed up.

The new manager will need to decide if he wants to keep him past next summer first.

easty
04-10-2010, 10:21 AM
NAME THEM

"keep the faith"

Mark Brown, Sol Bamba, Paul Hanlon, Michael Hart, Liam Miller, David Wotherspoon, Derek Riordan.

Good enough for most teams in the SPL in my opinion.

easty
04-10-2010, 10:22 AM
We do have width, Spoony and Galbraith, unfortunately Yogi didn't know how to use them properly. We have solid midfielders who weren't played in the proper position, Thicot(defensive mid) at rifgt back, Murray at LB when he's lost a bit of pace shoild be in midfield to strengthen and Bamba who was excellent in midfield a couple of seasons ago. Also allowing McCann to go on loan when he's the only real cover at RB if Hart gets injured or suspended, same goes for Byrne.

we have a decent squad, as good as any outside the OF, we just need a manager to play them properly and motivate them without bullying.

Sending Byrne out on loan was the right decision. He'll come back a better player for it.

J-C
04-10-2010, 10:24 AM
NAME THEM

"keep the faith"

Bamba, Miller, Riordan, Murray, Hanlon, Hart, McBride, Galbraith, Spoony, Zouma.

As good a squad of players outside the OF in the SPL.

J-C
04-10-2010, 10:25 AM
Sending Byrne out on loan was the right decision. He'll come back a better player for it.

Not when you're about to sell a 20 goal striker though.

Andy74
Tell the physio to get Zemmama and Duffy back pronto?

Sir David Gray

We'll be fine...

That is the absolute minimum that we should be expecting from a Hibs side every single year.

There is no chance that we should even be in any danger of being in the bottom six and the fact that we are is absolutely ridiculous.

I believe we should be finishing 3rd or 4th every single season and anything less than that should not be viewed as being even remotely acceptable by anyone connected with the club.

Love the Green
04-10-2010, 10:26 AM
Mark Brown, Sol Bamba, Paul Hanlon, Michael Hart, Liam Miller, David Wotherspoon, Derek Riordan.

Good enough for most teams in the SPL in my opinion.

Agre with a few of these in particulare Brown,Bamba, Hart and Riordan.

Miller is a nightmare at the moment, Hanlon's only position is CH and we have enough of them and Spoony has been played in so many positions he is jaded and over played.

"keep the faith":wink:

J-C
04-10-2010, 10:28 AM
Agre with a few of these in particulare Brown,Bamba, Hart and Riordan.

Miller is a nightmare at the moment, Hanlon's only position is CH and we have enough of them and Spoony has been played in so many positions he is jaded and over played.

"keep the faith":wink:

Miller was superb the first half of last season and looked good in a couple of games so far, goes back to management again.

bawheid
04-10-2010, 10:29 AM
That is the absolute minimum that we should be expecting from a Hibs side every single year.

There is no chance that we should even be in any danger of being in the bottom six and the fact that we are is absolutely ridiculous.

I believe we should be finishing 3rd or 4th every single season and anything less than that should not be viewed as being even remotely acceptable by anyone connected with the club.

So 5th place should never be viewed as being "remotely acceptable"? Do you know anything about the history of Scottish football?

The problem is that there are 4 or 5 clubs who all have exactly the same ambition - to finish 3rd or 4th in the SPL. Just because you pay your players a couple of hundred quid a week more, does not automatically mean they will achieve better results.

Changing managers every 12 months doesn't really help either mind.

bawheid
04-10-2010, 10:30 AM
Miller was superb the first half of last season and looked good in a couple of games so far, goes back to management again.

Who was his manager at Sunderland? Or QPR? Was it their fault too or is he going to stand up and take a bit of responsiblity for himself?

Sir David Gray
04-10-2010, 10:48 AM
So 5th place should never be viewed as being "remotely acceptable"? Do you know anything about the history of Scottish football?

The problem is that there are 4 or 5 clubs who all have exactly the same ambition - to finish 3rd or 4th in the SPL. Just because you pay your players a couple of hundred quid a week more, does not automatically mean they will achieve better results.

Changing managers every 12 months doesn't really help either mind.

Maybe if we finished 5th once every five years or so then that would be fine but we have had the situation recently where we hardly ever finish in the top four. In fact, we have finished in the top four in the top flight of Scottish football on just six occasions in over thirty years. I don't find that acceptable in the slightest.

With the position that the club is now in, off the field, in terms of our financial status, our completed stadium and our training facilities, which are amongst the best in the UK, we should be capable of finishing ahead of the likes of Dundee Utd, Motherwell and Aberdeen, all of whom are deep in debt and whose stadia are in a state of disrepair.

The only club who should be challenging us is Hearts and the only reason for that is that they seem to have a complete disregard for financial responsibility and their crippling debt doesn't seem to be bothering them in the slightest as they continue to pay relatively high wages, compared with the rest of the SPL.

We do not have a football team that reflects the state of the rest of the football club and that has to change.

bawheid
04-10-2010, 10:52 AM
Maybe if we finished 5th once every five years or so then that would be fine but we have had the situation recently where we hardly ever finish in the top four. In fact, we have finished in the top four in the top flight of Scottish football on just six occasions in over thirty years. I don't find that acceptable in the slightest.

With the position that the club is now in, off the field, in terms of our financial status, our completed stadium and our training facilities, which are amongst the best in the UK, we should be capable of finishing ahead of the likes of Dundee Utd, Motherwell and Aberdeen, all of whom are deep in debt and whose stadia are in a state of disrepair.

The only club who should be challenging us is Hearts and the only reason for that is that they seem to have a complete disregard for financial responsibility and their crippling debt doesn't seem to be bothering them in the slightest as they continue to pay relatively high wages, compared with the rest of the SPL.

We do not have a football team that reflects the state of the rest of the football club and that has to change.

What does the structural state of their stadia have to do with anything?

These clubs all have budgets which - roughly speaking - are on a par with Hibs.

I'll say it again; just because you pay your players a couple of hundred quid more a week, it doesn't mean you're guaranteed results. There are loads of factors which mean competitive sport isn't as cut and dried as that.

hibsfootsoldier
04-10-2010, 11:00 AM
the new managers task should be to sieve oot the s****
i just hope rankin nish etc are first on the list as theyr paticularly gash imho
everytime i watch wen ther playin its cringe material
hopefully he gives some of the younger hibs boys a go.

Houchy
04-10-2010, 11:07 AM

Despite the rank rotten start, I still think we should be aiming for this this season with 5th being seen as "acceptable" given the handicap we've given most other teams. At least no one has been running away with 3rd place so far as everyone has been taking points off each other (apart from the OF who are just taking points off eveyone:agree:)

--------
04-10-2010, 11:31 AM
I would say that top priority has to be stabilising things amng the players and taiing stock of the squad.

On paper we should have the players to be winning games - at the very least we should be in the top half of the table and competing with Hearts, Dundee Utd and Motherwell. The new guy has to work out whether that in fact is the case or not. If not, he has to do something about it in January.

I'd also say he has to sort out the loans situation - why are we borrowing players from other clubs to fill positions where we have young players who can play in their positions? McCann, Booth, and Byrne away, for example, while we have Grounds and Duffy on loan?

Morale at the club has been way down - of that I'm sure. The first task for whoever's in charge will be to raise the players' heads and get them at least playing to their abilities. Then we can really see where we are and what we have to work with.

smurf
04-10-2010, 11:33 AM
First task is to get points on the table. Don't care how he does it. Get us out of this hole at the bottom of a poor SPL.

mikey1875
04-10-2010, 12:37 PM
The new manager will need to decide if he wants to keep him past next summer first.

how about being the best player we have, is that a good enough reason!

Beefster
04-10-2010, 01:08 PM
how about being the best player we have, is that a good enough reason!

You'll need to ask the new manager - he may think that he can replace him with better. If Riordan (or any player) isn't offered a new contract, you can be sure that there are valid reasons.

The new manager has carte blanche to do what he wants with the existing squad as far as I'm concerned.

supersauzee
04-10-2010, 01:30 PM
first thing the new manager should do is drop Brown, mcbride, miller and nish, put bamba, riordan, brown, nish, rankin and mcbride on the transfer list, play the youth lads, dont offer any of the out of contract players new contracts, just go out and buy basically a whole new team in Jan coz thats exactly what we need!:agree:

I have info from the best possible source that there was a split in the camp at hibs as riordan and miller hated each other, no-one in the squad stayed behind for extra training, etc, the players were disrespectful to both hughes and rice and could not carry out instruction for matches! the players are a disgrace and should be booted from the squad! the only way for hibs is to play the youth players, it worked in the past! get byrne, booth, mccann, etc back in the team and get rid of the pre-madonna's, billy big times, big heads right away! Riordan was the worst culprit by the way! I hate the wee arse and always have and always will, he is a ned. Full Stop!:grr:

We need a disciplinarian at the club as the current squad seem to think they are too good! Hughes also told me the last few signings made werent made by him but by the board! Romanov esque I must say!:confused:

Hughes told me in person he defo wouldnt be here next season as the current squad were so unhelpful! I feel really sorry for the guy as he genuinly tried his very best! :boo hoo:

A disgrace!

discman
04-10-2010, 01:44 PM
I would say that top priority has to be stabilising things amng the players and taiing stock of the squad.

On paper we should have the players to be winning games - at the very least we should be in the top half of the table and competing with Hearts, Dundee Utd and Motherwell. The new guy has to work out whether that in fact is the case or not. If not, he has to do something about it in January.

I'd also say he has to sort out the loans situation - why are we borrowing players from other clubs to fill positions where we have young players who can play in their positions? McCann, Booth, and Byrne away, for example, while we have Grounds and Duffy on loan?

forMorale at the club has been way down - of that I'm sure. The first task whoever's in charge will be to raise the players' heads and get them at least playing to their abilities. Then we can really see where we are and what we have to work with.

That would explain why 15 of them were out on the piss on Saturday night,usual suspects, probably drowing their sorrows for their inept performance on the field
or more likely they just dont give a toss :cool2:

hibhib7
04-10-2010, 01:49 PM
first thing the new manager should do is drop Brown, mcbride, miller and nish, put bamba, riordan, brown, nish, rankin and mcbride on the transfer list, play the youth lads, dont offer any of the out of contract players new contracts, just go out and buy basically a whole new team in Jan coz thats exactly what we need!:agree:

I have info from the best possible source that there was a split in the camp at hibs as riordan and miller hated each other, no-one in the squad stayed behind for extra training, etc, the players were disrespectful to both hughes and rice and could not carry out instruction for matches! the players are a disgrace and should be booted from the squad! the only way for hibs is to play the youth players, it worked in the past! get byrne, booth, mccann, etc back in the team and get rid of the pre-madonna's, billy big times, big heads right away! Riordan was the worst culprit by the way! I hate the wee arse and always have and always will, he is a ned. Full Stop!:grr:

We need a disciplinarian at the club as the current squad seem to think they are too good! Hughes also told me the last few signings made werent made by him but by the board! Romanov esque I must say!:confused:

Hughes told me in person he defo wouldnt be here next season as the current squad were so unhelpful! I feel really sorry for the guy as he genuinly tried his very best! :boo hoo:

A disgrace!Pre-madonnas - that's an absolute classic - gave me a right laugh! Now why don't we stop the post-mortems and sign Guy Ritchie as the new manager?

silverhibee
04-10-2010, 01:51 PM
That would explain why 15 of them were out on the piss on Saturday night,usual suspects, probably drowing their sorrows for their inept performance on the field

Dont believe you.

--------
04-10-2010, 01:57 PM

Really? Fifteen? Not fourteen, or sixteen? Or twenty? Did you count them?

Some names, please, if they're "the usual suspects"?

Unless of course you're just at it.... :rolleyes:

discman
04-10-2010, 01:57 PM
Dont believe you.

No, you dont want to believe me ,thats different! Ask around silverone youll find thats its true,included was ,a bottle ,a head, a hospital! :cool2:

discman
04-10-2010, 02:01 PM
Really? Fifteen? Not fourteen, or sixteen? Or twenty? Did you count them?

Some names, please, if they're "the usual suspects"?

Unless of course you're just at it.... :rolleyes:

why would I be" just at it " theres no mileage in making stuff up like that,it happens to be true :cool2:

silverhibee
04-10-2010, 02:02 PM
No, you dont want to believe me ,thats different! Ask around silverone youll find thats its true,included was ,a bottle ,a head, a hospital! :cool2:

Who were the usual suspects.

silverhibee
04-10-2010, 02:12 PM

I know what you are talking about, but was led to believe there was only a few players out and only one was involved.

--------
04-10-2010, 02:18 PM
why would I be" just at it " theres no mileage in making stuff up like that,it happens to be true :cool2:

Well, you say "15 players" - "the usual suspects". Names?

I know that there are reports that there was an incident on Saturday night, but not of the scale or nature you seem to be suggesting.

discman
04-10-2010, 02:23 PM
I know what you are talking about, but was led to believe there was only a few players out and only one was involved.

Maccados (sp) at the west end, more than a few,ok maybe not exactly 15 but between 10/15, still not great, until theres a purge at hibs the same mentality will prevail and we'll never be contenders, sadly! :cool2:

bawheid
04-10-2010, 02:25 PM

I know that there are reports that there was an incident on Saturday night, but not of the scale or nature you seem to be suggesting.

Aye, it's been reported that there was an incident involving Hibernian players, alcohol and violence. It's par for the course, and the scale or nature of the incident is unimportant.

It's been going on for years. Successive managers have failed to sort it out. It's cost three of them their jobs.

Golden Bear
04-10-2010, 02:25 PM
Regardless of this latest fracas, the fact is that Hibs players SEEM to be involved far too frequently in similar incidents.

No discipline in other words and it's time it was sorted.

Dashing Bob S
04-10-2010, 02:30 PM
Why would they? They've done it to the last three managers.

As long as their wages go in and they can have a beer and a scrap up the town on a Saturday night they're quite happy.

Perhaps then that's the first task of the new manager. To guarantee the squad those things.

discman
04-10-2010, 02:32 PM

So you accept that am not at it? Of course people will play it down as far as publicity is concerned, and am fine with that,however dont you think theres something wrong if it was evan 2 or 3? :cool2: