Derek McInnes for me!!!

bawheid
04-10-2010, 08:27 AM
No thanks. What's he done?

easty
04-10-2010, 08:29 AM

That's my thinking as well...

I'm struggling to think of who I do want though...

bawheid
04-10-2010, 08:30 AM
That's my thinking as well...

I'm struggling to think of who I do want though...

Precisely.

Aldo
04-10-2010, 08:31 AM
Chris Coleman/mowbray (yes him)

Scooter
04-10-2010, 08:33 AM
We need someone with experience. Like Craig brown (I don't think he would leave Motherwell). I would love the board to be really bold. Would love Martin o'neil but he his well out our league

hibeerobbo
04-10-2010, 08:34 AM

What did Mowbray do?? What did Collins do??

Both were successful Managers but had no experience beforehand...

I think with the resources hes got at St johnstone, he's doing a good job.. So would like him to come to Hibs to work with our resources and see how he does

bawheid
04-10-2010, 08:34 AM
Would love Martin o'neil but he his well out our league

Mourinho or Sir Alex for me. :agree:

Phil MaGlass
04-10-2010, 08:35 AM
Walter Smith.:greengrin Martian O,Neill

bawheid
04-10-2010, 08:35 AM
What did Mowbray do?? What did Collins do??

Both were successful Managers but had no experience beforehand...

I think with the resources hes got at St johnstone, he's doing a good job.. So would like him to come to Hibs to work with our resources and see how he does

Yep, he took St Johnstone from Division 1 and established them in the SPL playing some decent football.

Sound familiar?

Andy74
04-10-2010, 08:38 AM
Hughes had achieved more with Falkirk than McInnes has with St Johnstone so far so not sure why he would be any different?

Williamson was a proven SPL manager with no connection to Hibs.

There's no real factor that you could say should or shouldn't be taken into account other than are they they best candidate for the job.

Scooter
04-10-2010, 08:38 AM
What about the ex reading and Bristol city manager. Steve coppel??

Pretty Boy
04-10-2010, 08:40 AM
If we are shopping in Scotland it's a toss up between McInnes and Paw Broon for me.

If we are looking elsewhere then Michael O'Neill could be a shout, Lee Clark at Huddersfield although i doubt he'd fancy the SPL, Nigel Worthington from Northern Ireland although may not want to get back into club management or come to the SPL.

Out of work managers like Jimmy Calderwood and Mowbray will obviously be looked at. Don't fancy either, Calderwoods record is decent but he must have been unpopular at Aberdeen for a reason(even taking their ridiculously deluded and demanding fans into account) and with Mowbray, well it just never works 2nd time around.

PaulSmith
04-10-2010, 08:41 AM
Ian McParland.

Stevie Reid
04-10-2010, 08:42 AM
Craig Brown please, would be the perfect fit - Motherwell's form in the year since he took over has been superb, and they're solid and organised at the back, and play some lovely stuff.

He and Knox are only under contract until the end of the season, and will see the Hibs job is probably as big a club job as he'll get at this stage of his career.

MussyHibby
Defo Tony Mowbray or, if there is an issue regards him, make it Mark Venus :)

Phil MaGlass
No Calderwood for me, once the money runs oot he doesnt have a clue, my Aberdeen mate hopes we take the Tango man due to him being so bad.

aberhibsfc
04-10-2010, 08:43 AM
Calderwood - No thanks!

1875er
Steve Clarke please Rod.

Scouse Hibee

Whoever we get I hope he can get the best out of what I believe is a decent enough squad of players to mount a challenge for the European places. Sadly Yogi's man management and tactics were unable to motivate these guys to put in the kind of performances they are capable off. There was never any doubt to his passion and commitment to the job. All the best Yogi.

O'Leary for me.

easty
04-10-2010, 08:44 AM

he gave it up at Bristol City cos he was bored with football didnt he?

I'd maybe give Peter Taylor a chance, plenty experience, did well last season, bit of a budget cut at Bradford over the summer has saw them not do very well so far this season though.

lucky
04-10-2010, 08:45 AM
Brown or Calderwood. Hibs need an experienced manager

Tranent Hibby
04-10-2010, 08:45 AM
Walter Smith.:greengrin Martian O,Neill

He,s out of this world :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

HenryMonk
04-10-2010, 08:46 AM
Alan Pardew is out of work

bingo70
04-10-2010, 08:48 AM
Bruce rioch

MussyHibby
04-10-2010, 08:49 AM

Oh deary dear :bitchy:

Hibs are and always have been innovative, any of them would be a backward step!

easty
04-10-2010, 08:49 AM

Experience as well as a talent for management please, which rules out Jimmy.

Makaveli
04-10-2010, 08:50 AM
From the names mentioned so far (that we would have any chance of getting) it's Michael O'Neill for me - Hibs connections or not.

easty
04-10-2010, 08:50 AM
Anyone said Stewart Baxter yet? I might as well throw his name in as well then...

(I dont want him by the way)

jdships
04-10-2010, 08:51 AM
Derek McInnes for me!!!

Why McInnes ?
We have gone down the road of ex players, untried managers, for years none of which , bar "Ned", have really done the business.
IF HFC has any ambition at all why not choose a proven experienced manager.?
Believe me this will not be a quick fix for whoever comes in so let's hope the board take a bit of time and choose the "RIGHT" person
Supporters and staff deserve no less :greengrin

:flag:

Betty Boop
04-10-2010, 08:55 AM
Chris Sutton :greengrin

Ray_
04-10-2010, 08:56 AM
If we are shopping in Scotland it's a toss up between McInnes and Paw Broon for me.

If we are looking elsewhere then Michael O'Neill could be a shout, Lee Clark at Huddersfield although i doubt he'd fancy the SPL, Nigel Worthington from Northern Ireland although may not want to get back into club management or come to the SPL.

Out of work managers like Jimmy Calderwood and Mowbray will obviously be looked at. Don't fancy either, Calderwoods record is decent but he must have been unpopular at Aberdeen for a reason(even taking their ridiculously deluded and demanding fans into account) and with Mowbray, well it just never works 2nd time around.

Seems Uncle Wattie has disproved that, if anything, with little money, he done even better second time around.

tomhorn
04-10-2010, 08:58 AM
From the names mentioned so far (that we would have any chance of getting) it's Michael O'Neill for me - Hibs connections or not.
Indeed, perhaps the approach has already been made...

blackpoolhibs
04-10-2010, 08:58 AM
Whats Mark Venus up to these days?

HIBERNIAN-0762
04-10-2010, 09:02 AM
he gave it up at Bristol City cos he was bored with football didnt he?

I'd maybe give Peter Taylor a chance, plenty experience, did well last season, bit of a budget cut at Bradford over the summer has saw them not do very well so far this season though.

Peter Taylor? :bitchy: do me a favour, he's a soor faced git! plus the fact he's been bounced by loads of clubs he has managed

No thanks!

Wilson
04-10-2010, 09:02 AM
What is venus up to? Still providing rhyming opportunities in an anti craig levein chant.

Darth Hibbie
04-10-2010, 09:03 AM
I'd like us to keep away from SPL managers but if it was to be one of them then either Brown or Billy Reid.

Given some of the names suggested already....... Whats Eric Cantona up to these days? :greengrin

Peevemor
04-10-2010, 09:05 AM
Steve Archibald.

HUTCHYHIBBY
04-10-2010, 09:05 AM
Roy Hodgson will be looking for a new job soon! ;-)

Cabbage East
04-10-2010, 09:07 AM
Matty Jack.

Giant_Midget
04-10-2010, 09:09 AM
I have a funny feeling about someone else, who has not been mentioned yet....Gus Macpherson - I dont want him myself, but I just have a wee sneaky feeling about him - being the cheap option is my main reason? :confused:

Stevie Reid
04-10-2010, 09:12 AM

Craig Brown would be a backwards step? How can you justify this statement exactly? I would like to see his record since he took over at Motherwell a year ago, they have been excellent.

He also took them to the verge of Europa League qualification which would be the height of our ambition at the moment.

thekaratekid
04-10-2010, 09:15 AM
Terry Butcher
Craig Brown
Steve Clarke

easty
04-10-2010, 09:23 AM
Terry Butcher
Craig Brown
Steve Clarke

Ticks the boxes, experienced/worked with players with "problems" (anelka/drogba)/meant to be a good coach, but is there a reason he's never been a manager already (apart from caretaker at Newcastle)? Maybe doesn't want that kind of responsibility.

allezsauzee
04-10-2010, 09:26 AM
Bobby Williamson

Bobby's Cinema
04-10-2010, 09:31 AM
What is venus up to? Still providing rhyming opportunities in an anti craig levein chant.
I liked that :greengrin

Stevie Reid
04-10-2010, 09:34 AM
Craig Brown would be a backwards step? How can you justify this statement exactly? I would like to see his record since he took over at Motherwell a year ago, they have been excellent.

He also took them to the verge of Europa League qualification which would be the height of our ambition at the moment.

I would also like to add that I believe that we would be less likely to lose Brown if we were to do well, as I would be very surprised if the OF or English Championship or above were to come calling.

I believe that a 3 year contract with Knox as his assistant and another coach learning his trade under him, with the ultimate goal of him taking over as manager, would be ideal - this could combine our twin desires for a younger coach with more experienced mentor. Billy Davies worked as his assistant for a number of years and he didn't turn out too badly.

Brown could then move to a Director of Football role perhaps.

GlesgaeHibby
04-10-2010, 09:35 AM
Jim Gannon anybody? :wink:

I think Derek McInnes and Billy Reid will be two the board look at.

Hibernia Na Eir
04-10-2010, 09:37 AM
Rod

PLEASE do NOT go for Calderwood. I hate the guy. Total tosser of a human.

SlickShoes
04-10-2010, 09:40 AM
Eduard Malofeyev

allezsauzee
04-10-2010, 09:41 AM
Rod

PLEASE do NOT go for Calderwood. I hate the guy. Total tosser of a human.

I don't want him as manager but that seems a wee bit harsh!

Giant_Midget
04-10-2010, 09:42 AM
Eduard Malofeyev:bitchy:

Magnifique
04-10-2010, 09:42 AM
Lets trawl the net far and wide

What about Csasa Lazlo (SP) forget the yam nonsense if hes available i think that guy would flourish at a proper fitba club

What about the Maribor gadgie? Does he speak the lingo?

SlickShoes
04-10-2010, 09:43 AM
:bitchy:

Graham Rix then?

bawheid
04-10-2010, 09:43 AM
Lets trawl the net far and wide

What about Csasa Lazlo

My goodness, you've fair flung the net far and wide there!

big-mo
04-10-2010, 09:44 AM
The word is that it is between -
Steve Clarke and Ian McParland

Magnifique
04-10-2010, 09:48 AM
My goodness, you've fair flung the net far and wide there!

Its Penicuik were talking about mind

Has he no got a new job recently?

Speedway

That's what the word is where...your house?

Renfrew_Hibby
Csaba Lazlo (spelling?) Would be interesting.
Did a great job in his first season before Romanovs ego got the better of him. He's tactically astute, media friendly/popular and comes across as a bubbly and positive guy.
I believe he has stayed on in Edinburgh due to kids schooling but he also loves the city and lifestyle so logistically would be a very easy process for the board.
Csaba always had good things to say about Hibs from what i can remember, whether it be about our youth structure, training ground or stadium. He said more than once that Hibs had to be respected for doing things the right way and that maybe Hearts should be more like us in respect to finances.
Remember this is a guy who until he joined Hearts had only ever played for and managed clubs who wear green and white, HIS colours.
He would relish managing Hibs and would bring far greater experience and a continental aproach to the job.
I believe he would also like to ram it right up Romanov!

bingo70
04-10-2010, 09:51 AM
I actually heard the same as big-mo, dismissed it straight away though as clarke is way out our league i would have thought?! I imagine he'll join a big championship club

gillythehibby
04-10-2010, 09:52 AM
First of all all the best to YOGI. You tried your best John but sadly it was not to be. Notice a few on this forum who were giving him all sorts of abuse are now eating humble pie and thanking him for his efforts. Pity we have to abuse one of our own when things are not going so well. On the new manager front, I'm sure the board will do their usual and take their time. No magic wand but no doubt the next guys will tick all the hibs boxes. Onwards and upwards. God Bless the Hibs.

hibee4life1983
Iv heard that micheal o'neil was being lined up as the next manager

Magnifique
Csaba Lazlo (spelling?) Would be interesting.
Did a great job in his first season before Romanovs ego got the better of him. He's tactically astute, media friendly/popular and comes across as a bubbly and positive guy.
I believe he has stayed on in Edinburgh due to kids schooling but he also loves the city and lifestyle so logistically would be a very easy process for the board.
Csaba always had good things to say about Hibs from what i can remember, whether it be about our youth structure, training ground or stadium. He said more than once that Hibs had to be respected for doing things the right way and that maybe Hearts should be more like us in respect to finances.
Remember this is a guy who until he joined Hearts had only ever played for and managed clubs who wear green and white, HIS colours.
He would relish managing Hibs and would bring far greater experience and a continental aproach to the job.
I believe he would also like to ram it right up Romanov!

I agree

Speedway
04-10-2010, 09:53 AM
Darren Ferguson's coat is on a shoogly peg at PNE....Hart would be pleased.

Just a thought.

blackpoolhibs
04-10-2010, 09:55 AM

Naw, Grease is the word.

easty
04-10-2010, 10:05 AM
Naw, Grease is the word.

Naw...Bird is the word.

Musselbound
04-10-2010, 10:08 AM

Maybe that's actually part of the problem. This will be what our fifth manager in about four years? Gambles can go either way. I think it's time for stability and a safer bet - so no objections to Calderwood or Brown although I think the former is the more likely. Calderwood spent 5 years at Dunfy and 5 at Pittodrie. No way would he have lasted that long if he was as bad as some Dons fans make out.

seanraff07
04-10-2010, 10:08 AM
Ian Murray

Purehibee_MYB
04-10-2010, 10:14 AM
Pardew, Stark, Rioch, or Mowbray

IanM
04-10-2010, 10:21 AM
Gareth Southgate?
phil brown?
glenn hoddle?
joe kinnear?
glenn roeder?
paolo sousa?

what!?!?!?!? :devil:

Giant_Midget
04-10-2010, 10:37 AM
Laszlo (sp) got a job with someone....plus wouldnt want him near us.

Someone at the noise up just text me.....Franck Sauzee, :sauzee:

Keith_M
04-10-2010, 10:42 AM
There's one obvious candidate, FJK. Laugh all you like but imagine how delighted he'd be to get to pick his own team. He'd be over here like a shot!

:greengrin

persevere1875
04-10-2010, 10:42 AM
What about Steve Cotterill, Did a job for Notts County last season, now at Portsmouth but less than happy with the constant finance problems, has premiership experiance at Sunderland amongst others ( coaching), held in high esteem in some parts

Petrie's Tache
04-10-2010, 10:58 AM
Luggy, Steve Clark, Rioch....all good candidates.

alanhall69
04-10-2010, 11:04 AM
Joe Miller and Lubo Moravcik Derek McInnes
Michael O’Neill :notworthy:
Peter Houston
John McGlynn
Billy Reid
Jim McInally
George Burley
Jim Magilton
John Collins
Maurice Malpas
Jimmy Calderwood
Colin Calderwood
Richard Gough
gannon
paul simpson not bart :thumbsup:
Gordon Chisholm

HibeeUnderwood
04-10-2010, 11:04 AM
Gareth Southgate?
phil brown?
glenn hoddle?
joe kinnear?
glenn roeder?
paolo sousa?

what!?!?!?!? :devil:

Good shout in my opinion :agree:

A real outsider though, not sure if he'd fancy the SPL or how or club handles finances, so I can't see it happening but I wouldn't complain if it did. :cool2:

s club 7-0
04-10-2010, 11:06 AM
Derek Adams

.Sean.
04-10-2010, 11:07 AM
I'll chuck in a couple names..... Mark Venus? Derek Adams? Terry Butcher?

libernian
04-10-2010, 11:13 AM
maradona?

just gonna add, wot about thata lad dundee united tried to get - pat fenlon? thot he looked like a good appointment tho noticed that they got beat 4-0 off some welsh team in europe. makes our defeat to maribor look good!

smurf
04-10-2010, 11:17 AM
We need a proven experienced guy. A guy who has been around the block. Has experience of dealing with inflated egos. A guy who has a name that will carry respect amongst the players and us the supporters. A MANAGER in every sense of the word who also too has the right coaching qualifications.

This is no time for a novice!

Results this calendar year are proof that we are a club that is on the field in crisis. To believe or suggest anything contrary to that is a dangerous road to go down.

Serious times calls for a serious experienced guy.

No gambles and no appointment on the cheap.

Toaods
04-10-2010, 11:18 AM
We need a proven experienced guy. A guy who has been around the block. Has experience of dealing with inflated egos. A guy who has a name that will carry respect amongst the players and us the supporters. A MANAGER in every sense of the word who also too has the right coaching qualifications.

This is no time for a novice!

Results this calendar year are proof that we are a club that is on the field in crisis. To believe or suggest anything contrary to that is a dangerous road to go down.

Serious times calls for a serious experienced guy.

No gambles and no appointment on the cheap.

:agree:.......Paul Hart.

Danny_Hibee
04-10-2010, 11:20 AM
Iv heard that micheal o'neil was being lined up as the next manager

I wouldnt understand that appointment. his only experience is with Brechin and Shamrock Rovers. Dont think folk would accept that if he hadnt played for Hibs. We tried the same with Mixu, Cowdenbeath and a team in Finland. Its a different story managing a club like Hibs

bingo70
04-10-2010, 11:21 AM
Smurf, part of me agrees with you, if we go down that route then rioch ticks all those boxes! However, part of me says that any experienced manager will have failed somewhere so we're as well going for an inexperienced guy that could be the real deal, if we go for someone like that i'd like michael o'neil

Franck is God
04-10-2010, 11:22 AM
Whoever it is I don't want them to have any connection with Scottish Football or Hibs.

Too many had preconceived ideas about JC, Mixu & Yogi and I include myself in that, we al wanted them to do well but not everyone was happy with the appointments which meant none of them really had the full backing of the fans. Some it seemed were simply waiting for a few poor results before they came out against them.

Mowbray arrived completely out of left field with no expectations and that is the kind of appointment I am looking for next. There are lots of unemployed managers out there and we are only 7 games into the season and at the beginning of an international break so no games for two weeks. There is no rush at all.

hibeemarley
04-10-2010, 11:24 AM
colin montgomerie

herdy
04-10-2010, 11:25 AM
Eddie Turnball !!!

Seriously, It's a difficult decision on who we get, i don't envy Petrie's decision here, even if he gets the best man on paper for the job, we've all got to like him aswell !!, Wouldn't mind seeing mowbray and venus back, but doubt that will happen. At least we have a nice stadium and a good training facility, that will go someway to attracting some attention form decent managers, just don't show them the list of players !!

Come on the Hibees a new day is dawning :thumbsup:

smurf
04-10-2010, 11:25 AM
:agree:.......Paul Hart.

That's the level we ought to be targetting.

brydekirk
04-10-2010, 11:27 AM
Alan Pardew is out of work

strachan soon will be

mjhibby
04-10-2010, 11:29 AM
As always happens when a decent managerial post comes up a load of names are banded about 98% are pure fantasy.Im fairly sure mouser has had this in his mind for a while now and has been making moves to see what he can do.There arent many realistic candidates that either will take the job or that we can afford.I think it is no coincidence that mcinnes signed a new contract a few days ago as im sure geoff brown would have been aware that hughes could have gone anytime in the last two weeks.Hibs could still get him but it will require a wee bit more money than rod might pay so that could be the stumbling block there.
Billy reid is another plausible candidate and wont take much persuasion i think.Calderwood is of course always on the horizon and it could be that he teams up with michael oneil and stays for a season and helps michael take over the reins next season.If it works they could be the permanent set up.Oneil has been sounded out as the papers have been mentionening it for ages but will he want to come.I think the pull of hibs would swing it and he seems to be doing well in ireland and did very well at brechin.I think their partnership is a very viable proposition
There is of course the reasonably experienced guys in england like ian mcparland etc and maybe someone like bruce rioch but they were overlooked in the past so unlikely to get the job.Its a pity we couldnt have gone for warnock as ive always believed him a very good manager who plays the clown for the camera but will not now move while he is going so well at qpr.Finally there is a manager from europe with a knowledge of scottish football.As a complete outsider how about henrik larsson with say peter grant.Unlikely i know but just a thought.
So to me it will be the likes or mcinnes or reid if they want the steady hand,calderwood and oneil with the hibby connection adn experienced guy.Or of course a mowbray type of appontment that nobody sees coming.Whoever takes over has a great opportunity as i think this is the weakest scottish league i have seen in 20 years and as paw broon has shown a manager with good tactical nous will prosper and we do have a better squad than well so no reason we cant be up there in the battle for 3rd and fourth with the right guy in charge.I hope you get this one right rod.let the fevered speculation begin with the new guy in for the killie game if not the one after if rod plays to type as he usually takes his time.Finally a big thank you to yogi for all his efforts.Ive always been behind but reality meant he had to go.Enjoyed some fine games in his early part but it was obvious that something wasnt right from the begining of this season although with a wee bit of luck we could have won both the caley and hamilton games and we wouldnt be having this debate.
Btw not a lot of people mentioning butcher for the job.Would we go for him and would he come.We will find out soon enough.I will now enjoy watching the two scotland games and look forward to the white puff of smoke at er in 2 to 3 weeks.Long waffle over youll be glad to hear.Glory to the hibees and good luck to rod and the board as im sure they will get advice from every quarter whether they want it or not.

Peevemor
04-10-2010, 11:30 AM
As always happens when a decent managerial post comes up a load of names are banded about 98% are pure fantasy.Im fairly sure mouser has had this in his mind for a while now and has been making moves to see what he can do.

:agree:

smurf
04-10-2010, 11:30 AM
Smurf, part of me agrees with you, if we go down that route then rioch ticks all those boxes! However, part of me says that any experienced manager will have failed somewhere so we're as well going for an inexperienced guy that could be the real deal, if we go for someone like that i'd like michael o'neil

IF (we wish) we were sitting comfortably knowing that we had a comfortable season ahead then fine go for the wee gamble on an up an coming type....

But we are not. Our performance on Saturday terrified me more than the result. And no disrespect that's an average St Johnstone side. And to say we looked ordinary flattered us. Our run of crap results and pathetic performances has gone on since February this year. We are in the stuff of Poo Poo and i hope the board recognises this.

Yes Hughes was a big part of our problems but anyone thinking that's us now sorted with him offski is deluding themselves.

We need a Manager. A proper Manager in every respect of the word to come in. Having been around the block he'll come in and quickly deal with the issues with confidence based on his knowledge and experience.

HibeeDave
04-10-2010, 11:46 AM
I'll chuck in a couple names..... Mark Venus? Derek Adams? Terry Butcher?

That's three :greengrin

Bad Martini
04-10-2010, 11:48 AM
That's three :greengrin

There's 2 a big hun...:greengrin

BenjiOscar
04-10-2010, 01:00 PM
Sean O'Driscoll the Doncaster manager would be a great appointment in my opinion. This is his fifth season at Doncaster and he has improved the team each season playing very attractive football.

They have one of the smallest budgets and crowds in the Championship compared to some of the other teams in that division and the ongoing success (in relative terms) is in no small part down to O'Driscoll's managerial style. He is a real man-manager similar to Tony Mowbray and could do a great job for us.

Failing which then I would welcome Mowbray returning to the role.

KWJ
04-10-2010, 01:01 PM
Derek McInnes or Paolo Sousa.

MussyHibby
04-10-2010, 01:09 PM

You want a guy who'll be retiring shortly, a stop-gap appointment. He's done ok, nothing more. A definite no-no for me.

Dr_Regal
04-10-2010, 01:11 PM
Chris Coleman, no hibs or scottish ties. Managed in the continent and in the championship. Might fancy it

I'd take Tony back.

Perspective
04-10-2010, 02:05 PM
Always thought someone would take a punt on Willie McStay.

Left Celtic in the summer to make way for Neil Lennon's backroom team, so he's available and, crucially, cheap. Also ticks the board's box for a young, ambitious type.

Won umpteen Reserve titles in a row before faring well at Ujpest before things imploded off the pitch. Takes a certain amount of bottle and intelligence to try your luck abroad like that.

Also instrumental in Celtic's now-impressive youth structure, so you have to think he'd be able to transfer that here.

Not saying he's the man, just throwing another name into the pot. I thought Yogi was the man at the time of his appointment so what do I know?

Stevie Reid
04-10-2010, 02:15 PM
You want a guy who'll be retiring shortly, a stop-gap appointment. He's done ok, nothing more. A definite no-no for me.

As I said earlier, he's won 19 of 37 games in charge at Motherwell - way more than ok. I've come up with several reasons on various threads as to why I believe that he could be a very forward thinking appointment, far from a stop gap - and incidentally, would he be even more of a stop gap than the 15 months each that our last 3 managers have had? And who says that CB is retiring shortly? He's only 3 years older than Alex Ferguson.

If you're prejudiced against his appointment then fine, but don't come up with crap excuses for it.