PDA

View Full Version : Martin O'Neill?

Teuchter Hibbie
03-10-2010, 03:22 PM
:dunno: almost definitely too expensive for us but surely must be near the top of the list when it comes to talking about new managers?

blackpoolhibs
03-10-2010, 03:24 PM
Yip, him or Mourinho for me.

YehButNoBut
03-10-2010, 03:25 PM
:dunno: almost definitely too expensive for us but surely must be near the top of the list when it comes to talking about new managers?

We can dream but O'Neill will end up with a top job in the EPL at some stage.

Www1875hfc
03-10-2010, 03:31 PM
Cant see O'Neil coming to hibs,as previously stated he would be first on the list when a job becomes vacant in the EPL.
But there is nothing wrong with the board showing that wee bit of ambition, and going for a high profile manager like Martin o neil.

Sadly its hibs we are talking about and we have to be realistic.

blackpoolhibs
03-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Cant see O'Neil coming to hibs,as previously stated he would be first on the list when a job becomes vacant in the EPL.
But there is nothing wrong with the board showing that wee bit of ambition, and going for a high profile manager like Martin o neil.

Sadly its hibs we are talking about and we have to be realistic.

Perhaps spending around Half of our income on someone like O'Neil might be a tad wrong imho.

Since90+2
03-10-2010, 04:03 PM
Was he not on £2 Million a year at Celtic (and probably about the same at Villa)?

Nae chance would he ever come to ER.

Toaods
03-10-2010, 04:10 PM
I doubt if he'd be too expensive for us these days as he retired quite some time ago.

He did go into management and ran a few small clubs before getting into the big time with Aston Villa but think he runs a B & B in Bucks these days....

--------
03-10-2010, 04:21 PM

If only.... :rolleyes:

Kaiser1962
03-10-2010, 05:12 PM
I think he wanted £80m to spend on Villa and accused them of "not sharing his ambition" when it wasn't forthcoming. Perhaps we should offer him the £80m to "invest" in the team and "speculate to accumulate"?

Albion Hibs
03-10-2010, 05:12 PM

Martin O'Neill - rhyming slang for get real?!

He will be off to Liverpool, another defeat for them today. I think he is more likely to play for hibs than he is to manage them!

Giant_Midget
03-10-2010, 05:19 PM
:dunno: almost definitely too expensive for us but surely must be near the top of the list when it comes to talking about new managers?I'm sorry, but to even think he would come to us is delusional, for me Tangoman is our best shout.

But it seems pretty clear that Hughes has no intention of walking so we're stuck with him, or until someone upstairs gets their finger out!

Sweep
03-10-2010, 06:04 PM
Whoever it is. I think the board need to show an ambition by bringing in someone who has accomplished things at a higher level than our previous managers, not just going for the "cheaper" option. I feel that there is no one like that in our game and we may need to look down south, as the usual names that get banded about when a Scottish manager is getting replaced aren't good enough IMHO. So NO to Calderwood etc. Hearts did it by going for Burley and look at the difference he made whilst he was there. Maybe O'Neil is a wee bit out of our league but there are others out there who could change the direction in which we are heading, which is downwards IMO.

Albion Hibs
03-10-2010, 06:08 PM
Whoever it is. I think the board need to show an ambition by bringing in someone who has accomplished things at a higher level than our previous managers, not just going for the "cheaper" option. I feel that there is no one like that in our game and we may need to look down south, as the usual names that get banded about when a Scottish manager is getting replaced aren't good enough IMHO. So NO to Calderwood etc. Hearts did it by going for Burley and look at the difference he made whilst he was there. Maybe O'Neil is a wee bit out of our league but there are others out there who could change the direction in which we are heading, which is downwards IMO.

Perhaps the biggest understatment I have ever heard - he is a million miles from our league.

I really struggle to understand what it is that Hibs fans want, we will simply not get a manager like that, and we are unlikely to get one with experince either, we have to hope that whoever is selected for the job comes onto a game and develops.

That is our best case IMO.

Kaiser1962
03-10-2010, 06:18 PM
Burley did it for nine games or something. If Yogi had walked after the first quarter of games last season we would have been screaming that he was "the one" and going to get us the double.

H18sry
03-10-2010, 06:19 PM
We can dream but O'Neill will end up with a top job in the EPL at some stage.

Liverpool or United whoever coming knocking first :wink:

Albion Hibs
03-10-2010, 06:20 PM
Burley did it for nine games or something. If Yogi had walked after the first quarter of games last season we would have been screaming that he was "the one" and going to get us the double.

We also would have been booing him for being a deserter and a Judas - seems to me he was damed if he did and damed if he didnt.

Sweep
03-10-2010, 06:25 PM
Perhaps the biggest understatment I have ever heard - he is a million miles from our league.
I really struggle to understand what it is that Hibs fans want, we will simply not get a manager like that, and we are unlikely to get one with experince either, we have to hope that whoever is selected for the job comes onto a game and develops.

WOW we are further away from catching Celtic than I thought, it wasn't that long since he was there.

How about someone who can be tactically aware and know when to change things and make subs when things aren't going right. That would be a good start.

There is a manager merry-go round in Scotland and all I am saying is we need to get off it and go for the best person we can afford maybe stretching the budget a little for a tried and tested manager.

Dalianwanda
03-10-2010, 06:33 PM
WOW we are further away from catching Celtic than I thought, it wasn't that long since he was there.

How about someone who can be tactically aware and know when to change things and make subs when things aren't going right. That would be a good start.

There is a manager merry-go round in Scotland and all I am saying is we need to get off it and go for the best person we can afford maybe stretching the budget a little for a tried and tested manager.

Aye wasnyt that long since he was there but hes an EPL manager leaving with a great reputation...As stated before he wony be short of big name suitors..I would love yogi to go (was a previous fan) but i dont know who would take his place....Im realy stuck there..

Albion Hibs
03-10-2010, 06:38 PM

Aye and not so long ago he just about go Villa into champs league and took them from the middle of the table to top 6. As i said miles from our league. We would not be able to get an assistant from the old firm, yet alone a successful manager that has progressed to the EPL.

No way.

E.T. is a Hibee
03-10-2010, 06:49 PM

If he was to consider Hibs he would have us in the top three by the end of the season and would have the Old Firm s*****g it! He took the job at Aston Villa knowing he would have to compete and Hibs are in a similar postion but instead of Man U, Chelsea, Man City it the Tic and the Huns!

emmjayfox
03-10-2010, 06:58 PM
Im actually cringeing at the thought that anyone would actually believe he would even be in the least bit interested in the hibs job.:hide:

vahibbie
03-10-2010, 07:03 PM

Someone inbetween O'Neil's and Yogi's level......hopefully closer to MON's:agree:

E.T. is a Hibee
03-10-2010, 07:04 PM
Im actually cringeing at the thought that anyone would actually believe he would even be in the least bit interested in the hibs job.:hide:

Why not? your right in thought that a manager of his calibre but this is Martin O'Neil dont you think this guy is a bit different? I do and I think he might look at Hibs as a club that has everything in place to go to the next level and the missing piece is a manager that knows how to make that step. I think that is what will appeal to him and many other managers, the next manager will be someone with higher profile than previous cause the board know that.

marinello59
03-10-2010, 07:06 PM
Why not? your right in thought that a manager of his calibre but this is Martin O'Neil dont you think this guy is a bit different? I do and I think he might look at Hibs as a club that has everything in place to go to the next level and the missing piece is a manager that knows how to make that step. I think that is what will appeal to him and many other managers, the next manager will be someone with higher profile than previous cause the board know that.

Aye.............OK...............

Dalianwanda
03-10-2010, 07:11 PM
Aye.............OK...............Aye.....OK.....OK :wink:

Albion Hibs
03-10-2010, 07:12 PM

Me and you both, secretly I am hoping that everyone is actually joking.

Someone inbetween O'Neil's and Yogi's level......hopefully closer to MON's:agree:

Yes, and I would like Sir Alex to decided that after a few draws and a loss that he is chucking it and moving up from Manchester to a nice reposession penthouse at the shore so he can take the helm at Hibs - why not after all, we have a new stadium and a training centre.

On Man U's recent record I wonder if there fans are doing a Hibs - booing there players, booing there manager, cheering when we make our own subs, calling for everyones head (its even embarrassing that I am writing about how we behave) what do you think? Or are there standards lower than ours?

Baader
03-10-2010, 07:14 PM
Michael O'Neill maybe but I'm afraid the only time you're likely to see Martin at ER is on a scouting mission once he's back in management. Given our performances he could be in a job for years before that happens!

E.T. is a Hibee
03-10-2010, 07:14 PM
Aye.............OK...............

Aye.......................OK....................

Your right, we've only got a:

Finished Stadium, excellent training centre, good financials, decent support.

Your right a crap job!

Albion Hibs
03-10-2010, 07:19 PM

Your right a crap job!

Whilst it may not be a crap job it is not good enought for a manager like him. Anyone who thinks he will ever be anywhere near the dugout at ER is not only kidding themselves, and probably wants to go and have a private chat with someone. Thats like saying we could go an take walter or lennon now.

Sit down, relax, breath, and breath and breath.

vahibbie
03-10-2010, 07:23 PM

Yes, and I would like Sir Alex to decided that after a few draws and a loss that he is chucking it and moving up from Manchester to a nice reposession penthouse at the shore so he can take the helm at Hibs - why not after all, we have a new stadium and a training centre.

On Man U's recent record I wonder if there fans are doing a Hibs - booing there players, booing there manager, cheering when we make our own subs, calling for everyones head (its even embarrassing that I am writing about how we behave) what do you think? Or are there standards lower than ours?

And were did I ever mention Sir Alex, or indeed say that MON was a possible:confused:
I would actually like to think that the board would be willing to push the boat out a tad this time round. After Mixu and now Yogi we need to raise the bar.
Of course if you're happy to settle for what we've got it must be OK:bitchy:

E.T. is a Hibee
03-10-2010, 07:26 PM
Whilst it may not be a crap job it is not good enought for a manager like him. Anyone who thinks he will ever be anywhere near the dugout at ER is not only kidding themselves, and probably wants to go and have a private chat with someone. Thats like saying we could go an take walter or lennon now.

Sit down, relax, breath, and breath and breath.

I know that it sounds way way oot there, but our club is very very attractive. Sometimes I think we forget this cause were a wee bit too close. We have always recruited mangers that haven't really proved themselves and I honestly think that this time the board choice will be different. Never before in the history of our club has the club spent so much money and I think the board will make the correct appointment they cannot afford to get it wrong!

3pm
03-10-2010, 07:40 PM
I have had 14 bottles of Miller so definitely feel in a position to post - everyone else is pished.

Albion Hibs
03-10-2010, 08:19 PM
I know that it sounds way way oot there, but our club is very very attractive. Sometimes I think we forget this cause were a wee bit too close. We have always recruited mangers that haven't really proved themselves and I honestly think that this time the board choice will be different. Never before in the history of our club has the club spent so much money and I think the board will make the correct appointment they cannot afford to get it wrong!

I am of the opposite oppinion, whilst I agree Hibs are a reasonably big team in Scotland I do not think it is an attractive job.

The;
- Money is poor,
- Budget for players is poor,
- As a club we sell our better players
- The expectations of fans are too high
- We love and I mean love a "boo"
- We boo our own players
- Managers have circa 1 season to get the 3+ best team in scotland

I think a job at clubs like Motherwell must be far more attractive, I think we pay less and our support is a nightmare in comparrison.

MJN1875
03-10-2010, 08:22 PM

You been on the crack mate?

The_Todd
03-10-2010, 08:23 PM
If Martin O'Neill comes to manage Hibernian, I nomintate Gramo to sit in a bath full of beans halting the gas roadworks on Western Corner.

Alfred E Newman
03-10-2010, 08:28 PM

Sir Alex hun connections rules him out I`m afraid.

vahibbie
03-10-2010, 08:30 PM
Sir Alex hun connections rules him out I`m afraid.

and he's made some dodgey selections and subs lately:wink:

Kaiser1962
03-10-2010, 08:30 PM
You are now officially nuts my friend

broonie27
03-10-2010, 08:45 PM

I'm sorry but why even bother posting this? It will never, ever happen. I'm only replying because I'm so bored.

Sylar
03-10-2010, 08:54 PM

Add a financially restrictive board, limited income due to the league structure/prizes/TV monies etc and a minimal budget for players (not to mention a lack of attraction, as European Football isn't something we can use as a carrot) and you have a more realistic position to assess.

Ritchie
03-10-2010, 08:55 PM
The crack epidemic in Edinburgh has spread deeper than i had anticipated :hmmm:

The_Todd
03-10-2010, 08:59 PM
To anybody who believes this will ever happen:

See this?

http://www.somethinkodd.com/oddthinking/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/man-in-the-moon.thumbnail.jpg

You're wired to it.

Since90+2
03-10-2010, 09:02 PM

Your at the windup :agree:

M11BMO
03-10-2010, 09:20 PM
I seen this thread and just burst out laughing! Never in a million years would O'Neill consider being the manager of us. Far to good.

E.T. is a Hibee
03-10-2010, 09:49 PM
Your at the windup :agree:

I'm no on the wind up and I understand my point sounds ridiculous but I do believe that our next manager has to be of a much greater experiance and profile and I think the board recognise this.

Chuckie
04-10-2010, 08:47 AM
Why not ? He's out of work..

Let's see some real ambition Petrie...

lucky
04-10-2010, 08:50 AM
Steaming the Yams will be pishing themselves with ***** like this

Pretty Boy
04-10-2010, 08:52 AM
Theres ambition and then there is living in a dream world.

Martin O'Neill can command thousands of pounds a week managing in the Premiership, Why oh why would he decide to come and manage Hibs?

Yes, he's out of work at the moment but i'm sure he is financially stable enough to wait for a slightly bigger job than the Hibs one to come along.

I'm not trying to run the club down but O'Neill is a top manager with a very good repuatation, he was being tipped as Fergies successor a while back, he is not going to take the Hibs job, it's just not going to happen.

tomhorn
04-10-2010, 08:54 AM

It will be M. O'neill but not Martin...

jdships
04-10-2010, 08:58 AM

M On wont work for any club who can'r/won'r give him barrowloads of cash to "play with"
Left Leicester City for that reason , possibly AV and Celtic ( only runours which don't count) as well.
Agree with the ambition :thumbsup:

HUTCHYHIBBY
04-10-2010, 09:19 AM
Any chance of deleting this before our Yammish friends start jizzing over it?