PDA

View Full Version : Collins, Mixu and Yogi

Dashing Bob S
03-10-2010, 12:07 PM
Yes, all deserved to go because football is a results and performance based sport and none of them can have said to have delivered by any stretch of the imagination. All seemed flawed in certain areas, for sure.

But to have one ex Hibs hero, enthusiastic and rated, with modern thoughts on the game, make a total mess of it seems like misfortune. To have three do so, to me it seems other forces are at work.

1. Players. Do we just attract workshy clowns who think they are better than they are?

2. Fans. Is our culture of yearning for attractive entertaining passing football possible in the dour hammer-throwing SPL at the sort of budget on which we have to operate?

3. Board - they lucked out with Mowbray so are they getting all hot when somebody relatively young in a nice suit says things like 'Brazil' 'Barca' and 'passing game?'

Whatever is happening, it seems our club managers post has become a poisoned chalice.

I would hate us in light of those experiences to go down the Calderwood/Pa Broon route, but I confess, I don't know what the answer is. I was delighted when JC, Mixu and Yogi were appointed, thinking 'this time surely...'

Now they could bring in Gardiola and I'd greet his appointment with the sense of trepidation a teenager might have when the headmaster says 'this is Mr Rix. He'll be in charge of school sports. Mr Rix used to be a football player and manager.'

Whoever gets the job next, they already have my sympathy.

Expecting Rain
03-10-2010, 12:18 PM
Yes, all deserved to go because football is a results and performance based sport and none of them can have said to have delivered by any stretch of the imagination. All seemed flawed in certain areas, for sure.

But to have one ex Hibs hero, enthusiastic and rated, with modern thoughts on the game, make a total mess of it seems like misfortune. To have three do so, to me it seems other forces are at work.

1. Players. Do we just attract workshy clowns who think they are better than they are?

2. Fans. Is our culture of yearning for attractive entertaining passing football possible in the dour hammer-throwing SPL at the sort of budget on which we have to operate?

3. Board - they lucked out with Mowbray so are they getting all hot when somebody relatively young in a nice suit says things like 'Brazil' 'Barca' and 'passing game?'

Whatever is happening, it seems our club managers post has become a poisoned chalice.

I would hate us in light of those experiences to go down the Calderwood/Pa Broon route, but I confess, I don't know what the answer is. I was delighted when JC, Mixu and Yogi were appointed, thinking 'this time surely...'

Now they could bring in Gardiola and I'd greet his appointment with the sense of trepidation a teenager might have when the headmaster says 'this is Mr Rix. He'll be in charge of school sports. Mr Rix used to be a football player and manager.'

If we`re incapable of playing with a bit of style now, god help us when the weather gets rough, the SPL in my opinion requires a team with a fair bit of balance to be able to adapt their games according to the opposition and the conditions we seem to be nowhere near that at the moment, i still believe that we have a squad when utulised properly should be competing with the likes of Hearts,Aberdeen and Dundee United for the respective third, fourth and fifth spots instead of looking at a battle with St Mirren and possibly Hamilton at the lower end of the table.

Sas_The_Hibby
03-10-2010, 12:28 PM
..................2. Fans. Is our culture of yearning for attractive entertaining passing football possible in the dour hammer-throwing SPL at the sort of budget on which we have to operate?................................

I think this can have a negative impact. Any new Hibs manager feels obliged to repeat the mantras "aware of Hibs heritage" "want to play attractive passing football" etc.

The danger, then, is that an attempt is made to concentrate on that aspect when, historically, Hibs' shortcomings have tended to be a lack of steel and a shaky defence. In a word, "flakiness" - if that is a word! :greengrin

It's a footballing cliché, I know, but you really do need to build a team around a strong defence. That's not to say you have to play dour negative football but you do (cliché no. 2 coming up!) need to get the basics right before you start worrying too much about playing silky smooth football.

Sas_The_Hibby
03-10-2010, 12:31 PM
If we`re incapable of playing with a bit of style now, god help us when the weather gets rough, the SPL in my opinion requires a team with a fair bit of balance to be able to adapt their games according to the opposition and the conditions we seem to be nowhere near that at the moment, i still believe that we have a squad when utulised properly should be competing with the likes of Hearts,Aberdeen and Dundee United for the respective third, fourth and fifth spots instead of looking at a battle with St Mirren and possibly Hamilton at the lower end of the table.

I agree that the present squad is good enough to be challenging for 3rd / 4th. The fact that we're not, and don't look like doing so under the present management, just tells us what we already know.

HibsMax
03-10-2010, 03:46 PM
I agree. Who'd be a manager at Hibs?

Maybe the fans could manage the team using some sort of Poll Thread on Hibs.net. Majority rule? LOL.

marinello59
03-10-2010, 03:49 PM

Maybe the fans could manage the team using some sort of Poll Thread on Hibs.net. Majority rule? LOL.

We'd only end up booing ourselves.

HibsMax
03-10-2010, 03:51 PM

All through the match or just at the final whistle? :wink:

sesoim
03-10-2010, 10:10 PM

I'd take it, and most managers still would. Just because our last three managers have bolloxed up doesn't mean there is something wrong with Hibs. But like a previous guy said in this thread, lets forget this purist rubbish about playing a certain way. And lets also forget stupid "visions".

The next guy just needs top be able to organize the team so we can defend, win the ball, pass, run, shoot and showboat at the RIGHT times.

Iain G
04-10-2010, 02:45 AM
What is Matty Jack up to, get him in as manager and he'll sort them out, we need someone in the Matty Jack role again... :greengrin

Oh, and Craig Rocastle as his number 2, we haven't had anyone in the Craig Rocastle role since he left either...

HUTCHYHIBBY
04-10-2010, 06:06 AM
Lets be real here, the squad isnt anywhere near good enough, for example if Riordan gets injured we don't have anyone else to put the ball in the net.

hibbiedon
04-10-2010, 06:29 AM

:faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf:

bawheid
04-10-2010, 07:28 AM

Agree with this. Sack Hughes and we'll all be here in 18 months, booing the next guy.

RIP
04-10-2010, 08:54 AM
I think all 3 managers were capable of doing a better job if we had a football man running the football side of this club in tandem with Scott Lindsay and co looking after the non-football side

Anto the Hibernian
04-10-2010, 09:03 AM
I think this can have a negative impact. Any new Hibs manager feels obliged to repeat the mantras "aware of Hibs heritage" "want to play attractive passing football" etc.

The danger, then, is that an attempt is made to concentrate on that aspect when, historically, Hibs' shortcomings have tended to be a lack of steel and a shaky defence. In a word, "flakiness" - if that is a word! :greengrin

It's a footballing cliché, I know, but you really do need to build a team around a strong defence. That's not to say you have to play dour negative football but you do (cliché no. 2 coming up!) need to get the basics right before you start worrying too much about playing silky smooth football.

Bang on

Been saying this for ages, unless we as a club (I include Petrie & us as fans) wise up and start to mould a team built for the SPL & not some mythical 'flair football' then we wont get anywhere.

Mowbray’s was a one off and trying to replicate this on our budget is futile.

So lets not hear the same old platitudes from Petrie upon appointment of the next manager about his ‘brief to deliver a side in keeping with the Hibernian traditions’ - I want a manager who knows how to succeed in the SPL , a more pragmatic approach is needed by everyone connected to the club IMO

Hibs On Tour
04-10-2010, 09:48 AM
To be honest, I think we already have personnel who can play with flair. I don't think we should be abandoning 'the Hibs way' because we've been ****** in recent times. Watching the programme last night about whether England could win the next world cup summed it up for me - what Germany did when they sat down and said 'what does it mean to be German' and adapted everything around that from then on is what brought their exciting young team to the fore this WC. If flair is 'our way' and what it means to 'be Hibs' then lets keep aiming for that. That doesn't mean of course that we don't need to defend or to be more precise, get a manager in who knows how to organise us to do so. Of course we need to adapt our tactics, formation etc to certain games and a decent manager can do so and get the players to buy into that. I think that too often our players genuinely didn't know what formation, tactics, role etc they were meant to be playing - knowing instead just that they needed to be 'passing the ball like Barcelona' or playing 'the Dutch way' and other such vague nonsense.

Decent, experienced, proven manager please. If we can pay top dollar for the board, we should certainly be paying top dollar for the most important position at the club. Oh yes - one final thing - that isn't all that is required. We need the board to start showing some balls with players/clubs/agents and keep players here until it suits US to get shot of them. We *didn't* do that with Stokes - we needed more goalscoring here and we got shot because of his off-field activities - cut our nose off to spite our face IMHO.

I look forward however to the next ex-player taking over in due course... :rolleyes:

Cinntwamob
04-10-2010, 09:51 AM

All good points, are we so different though from many other club supporters?

I think the board need to examine what they want much more carefully, a past hero becomes a fallen idol at E.R. and it's a pity.