PDA

View Full Version : Please when we replace yogi , do not appoint a former player

grantonhibee
02-10-2010, 04:12 PM
Who agrees that we shouldnt appoint a former player

bighairyfaeleith
02-10-2010, 04:13 PM
we should appoint the best candidate we can possibly afford, whether they used to play for hibs is irrelevant imo

Dibben
02-10-2010, 04:14 PM
we should appoint the best candidate we can possibly afford, whether they used to play for hibs is irrelevant imo

:agree:

What he said!

mcaitchi
02-10-2010, 04:17 PM
So he will want a healthy pay off :wink:

AND - Expect the Board to spend money on an EXPERIENCED Manager !!!

TheEastTerrace
02-10-2010, 04:18 PM
Perhaps it should read, when we replace Yogi, please don't let the board make the choice. They are not football men. Get someone who knows something about football to advise on a replacement and not go for the cheap, seemingly popular, option ala Mixu/Hughes/Franck too. Aside from Alex McLeish and Mowbray, the board's appointments have been nothing short of dismal.

eastmainsmsh
02-10-2010, 07:42 PM
Alex Miller general manager

with michael o neill for me :thumbsup:

TheEastTerrace
02-10-2010, 07:46 PM
Alex Miller general manager

with michael o neill for me :thumbsup:

:faint:

Andy74
02-10-2010, 07:53 PM
It should be said that the board talk to lots of football people when they are recruiting. They also have a lot more football experience than most of us.

Spike Mandela
02-10-2010, 08:17 PM
It should be said that the board talk to lots of football people when they are recruiting. They also have a lot more football experience than most of us.

Who did Rod play for? I would be very surprised if he even attended a football match prior to working for Farmer.

Rod has to speak to 'football people' I would imagine, to get advice in an area that he has less experience in.

The board appear to be good at running a football business, but while the business has stabilised the actual football playing side of Hibs has deteriorated.

DH1875
02-10-2010, 08:35 PM
Can't think of the top of my head but other than O'Neill what other Hibs players would even come into the running?

And before any smart **** says Mixu and god forbid Danny Lennon :no way::sick:

Pete
02-10-2010, 10:33 PM

I agree to an extent and I know what you're saying.

Hughes done well with what he had at Falkirk. The football they played was great and they passed us off the park on more than one occasion when he came up against us.

He's only human and loves Hibs...and the vast majority of the players don't share don't have the same love for the club. It must be very hard for him to articulate his message at crucial points under these circumstances.

Maybe we'd be better off with a manager who has no emotional attatchment to the club and who can concentrate on nothing but the football side of the deal....

...and maybe Hughes would be better off in a position where he can concentrate on nothing but the footballing aspect without getting caught up in the emotional side of it all.

It was nice in theory but it isn't working.

matty_f
02-10-2010, 10:41 PM
I don't care if the next manager has played for Hibs or not, so long as he's capable of sending out a team capable of getting good results more often than not.

Even being able to do basic defending and attacking would be an improvement.

Bookkeeper
02-10-2010, 10:49 PM
Appointing the next manager is THE most important decision the board will have to make. I'm personally not bothered if he's an ex-player or not, but whoever he is will have a huge job to do lifting the team.

The board should be looking at this as the next big project. We've found the cash for the stadium and the training centre and rightly so, but it has been to the short term detriment of the playing side. Time now to bust a gut and get the cash it requires to get the best manager possible.

Time to aim high Rod!

Arch Stanton
03-10-2010, 07:11 PM

It's not just about talking - they also need to listen. I have never heard Mixu or Hughes saying anything in the least bit intelligent about football so it beats me how an interview panel could have been impressed with anything they said.

Maybe next time they could try picking a manager whilst they are sober.

OtterHibee
03-10-2010, 08:23 PM

If there is a former player who has the talent and managerial skills required to take us forward as a club, then we should not hesitate to appoint him. However, I struggle at the moment to think of anyone who currently fits that description. Michael O'Neill is a name that keeps coming up, but I don't know enough about him as a manager to give an honest appraisal.

I think where the man in charge has some form of emotional connection to the club it often makes it harder to accept if things do go wrong, as has been the case with Collins, Mixu and Hughes, and looking further back, Sauzee.

I have three names in my head at the minute, who I won't name right now out of respect. Two have past connections with the club, but not as players. One of the two has never really left my thoughts for a number of years and that for me is telling. The third one has never had any involvement with the club, however while he is out of work at the minute, he may well command a higher wage than is feasible for us right now, money that could be better spent improving the squad.

heretoday
03-10-2010, 08:45 PM
I can't see all that many former players who fit the bill anyway. Collins, Chisholm, Lennon, O'neill..........

It doesn't matter whether they are former heroes or not except that it hurts a little more when it comes to sacking them.