PDA

View Full Version : Are we as fans of Hibernian FC the Issue ?

dp00
01-10-2010, 11:11 PM
I have watched a few games on the tv over the last week and something struck me.... When you watch Rangers, Celtic, Dundee Utd, Man Utd, Man City, CHealsea etc etc . If the players make a mistake the fans dont jump on there back and start booing they just get right behind them. I lost count how many times a man utd move broke down due to mis-placed passes during the week and at the weekend yet despite this there fans still stood by them. no booing. I would imagine this would make the players less nervous about playing the game the way we want it to be played .

Ive been to every home hibs game this season and so far ive heard:

Fans booing/shouting at players for taking on a shot
Fans shouting and booing players for making a backward pass
Fans booing players for misplaced passes

All this is bound to affect the confidence of the players and maybe make them more nervous about doing certain things. So what i ask is...

Are we as fans of Hibernian FC the issue ???

bigstu
01-10-2010, 11:24 PM
no

Skanko79
01-10-2010, 11:26 PM
I have watched a few games on the tv over the last week and something struck me.... When you watch Rangers, Celtic, Dundee Utd, Man Utd, Man City, CHealsea etc etc . If the players make a mistake the fans dont jump on there back and start booing they just get right behind them. I lost count how many times a man utd move broke down due to mis-placed passes during the week and at the weekend yet despite this there fans still stood by them. no booing. I would imagine this would make the players less nervous about playing the game the way we want it to be played .

All this is bound to affect the confidence of the players and maybe make them more nervous about doing certain things. So what i ask is...

I would say that there are a minority of Hibs fans hell bent on seeing the team fail in order to get shot of Yogi. In fairness im not his biggest fan either but while he's in the hotseat i'll be getting behind him and the team.

I also believe that the stature of the club off the feild adds to the expectation on it from some people. i agree with there frustration but things cant be done overnight it all takes time.

There is absolutely no need for anyone supporting Hibs to be booing one of their own. None whatsoever and i would go as far as to say these folk that do have no place at Easter Road.

GGTTH :thumbsup:

lucky
01-10-2010, 11:28 PM
I agree with stu. Hibs fans don't boo any more than any other team that has won 4 times in 27 games. I'm going tomorrow to cheer the lads on but I will boo at the end if we have been humped again

Skanko79
01-10-2010, 11:31 PM
I agree with stu. Hibs fans don't boo any more than any other team that has won 4 times in 27 games. I'm going tomorrow to cheer the lads on but I will boo at the end if we have been humped again

I can maybe understand booing at the end of the game, but the point the guy is making is booing of certain players during the game. There is no need whatsoever for that.

hibee4life1983
01-10-2010, 11:39 PM
Thats ridiculous,
How on earth could we as fans be the problem, unfortunatly we fans dont get to a. Pick the team b. Set the tactics and c. Play. Im not saying its managements fault, it may be the players are to blame, to suggest us fans that boo awful woefull performances is to blame is no excuse, if the team was playing well we can be the best supporters in the world, thats part of football and if your games pants and thats your excuse you should'nt be a playing and picking up a wage for it.

Skanko79
01-10-2010, 11:45 PM
Thats ridiculous,
How on earth could we as fans be the problem, unfortunatly we fans dont get to a. Pick the team b. Set the tactics and c. Play. Im not saying its managements fault, it may be the players are to blame, to suggest us fans that boo awful woefull performances is to blame is no excuse, if the team was playing well we can be the best supporters in the world, thats part of football and if your games pants and thats your excuse you should'nt be a playing and picking up a wage for it.

well thats the thing mate, we dont get to pick the team but id put money on the fact if any one of us was given a shot we would fail miserably. I'll stand by what i said, booing any hibs player during a game is completely out of order. And as for your best fans in the world comment, surely the best fans in the world would get behing their team even more when they ARENT playing well. that isnt happening at easter road just now. no where near it.

monktonharp
01-10-2010, 11:59 PM
Hibs fans are becoming the worlds most boring,booing moaning lot in the world. they even moan at their fellow "fans" for shouting or stare at them for trying to start songs/chants etc,in case they upset the bairns/jump up ,block their view for a few seconds blah blah blah,.............boooooooooooooooooooooo

calamitus
02-10-2010, 12:16 AM
We do seem to have done a bit better away from home in the last 6 months.

OK, here's my theory/opinion - I think you have to ask yourself how it would affect you at work if there was someone sat at your shoulder saying 'See, I told you he was *****' 'Oh FFS, not again, this guy's f'n useless' to your boss, every time you made the slightest mistake, or showed a bit of hesitation.

It's all very well saying 'Well, they're supposed to be professional footballers', but I reckon playing for Hibs just now is probably the equivalent of one of us working with a workplace bully who gets on your case all the time.

Some of us would rise to it and get all motivated and up in their face, and some of us would get a bit nervy about going into work and want to stay at home.

I think that, in our price range, we're going to get:
a. journeymen;
b. guys with something to prove -either because they're young or because they screwed up somewhere at a higher level; or
c. the occasional old pro who's a bit past their best.

I'd say the team's performance hinges on how the middle group - the ones with something to prove - perform. Everyone else is going to be much of a muchness in the SPL, outside the OF. That middle group is the one that's going make the most difference in any game, and it's the one that's going to be most affected by the crowd, because they're either young, or have those 'issues'.

I think even the handbag clutching and sharp intake of breath every time a pass is misplaced is getting to our players, never mind shouting at them that they're garbage.
We need to aggressively break out of that mentality, and give it a bit of 'We're great, get it up ye!, rather sitting there like gargoyles with our arms folded, waiting to be impressed, or we'll end up sapping the confidence of most of the guys who pull on a Hibs jersey.

hibbiedon
02-10-2010, 05:02 AM

So you have already made your mind up to boo Hibs, regardless of how they play.
I assume you will not be singing " We'll support you ever more " then

Hainan Hibs
02-10-2010, 06:12 AM
If I was getting paid £1500-£2000 a week to kick a ball about and was greetin about some grown men shouting boo at me, I'd have a good hard look in the mirror and ask where my baws had went off to.

The comparison with Man U fans is cringeworthy, they have a squad full of international class players, they regularly win things, and their fans know that no matter how many mis-placed passes they see they will end up 1st or 2nd.

Hibs have won 4 games in 27, we are 1 point off bottom. Until the management and squad get a grip of themselves they can greet all they want about fans booing, it will happen and rightly so.

bighairyfaeleith
02-10-2010, 06:39 AM
FFS aye the fans are to blame:rolleyes:

The op must be yogi in disguise:greengrin

erin go bragh
02-10-2010, 06:57 AM
If I was getting paid £1500-£2000 a week to kick a ball about and was greetin about some grown men shouting boo at me, I'd have a good hard look in the mirror and ask where my baws had went off to.

The comparison with Man U fans is cringeworthy, they have a squad full of international class players, they regularly win things, and their fans know that no matter how many mis-placed passes they see they will end up 1st or 2nd.

Hibs have won 4 games in 27, we are 1 point off bottom. Until the management and squad get a grip of themselves they can greet all they want about fans booing, it will happen and rightly so.
this is a new season and if[yes its a if]we win sat ,coupled with a defeat for our neighbours[who are 4th in the league]we will go above them.
folk were booing within 20 minutes of the maribor game ffs .
the 1st half performance at darkhead wasnt great but 2nd half was much better and i really think we can get that result that will kick start our season.
we should be thankfull we are not in debt of over 30 million and playing in a pink stadium. KEEP THE FAITH ,GGTTH

marinello59
It's my fault, sorry. I'll try and do better today. I have been doing a lot of unseen supporting though.:agree:

Davy Mac

Good Post.

Can you imagine the reaction from the fans of the ugly sisters if they won virtually nowt for 100+ years and put up with such mediocrity week in week out, don't think so.

If it's about entertainment then Hibs are failing big time. I will always support my club - Hibs, I don't boo at the games these days cause I've stopped going, it's guff, it has been pretty much in my lifetime but I've given Hibs 30+ years of my support but I need a rest from it.

I have much respect for my fellow Hibbies for going week in week out and I think they are entitled to comment and the frustration that's building up within the fans makes it perfectly natural to boo, so I don't think the fans are to blame at all - there is only so much fans can take.

Beefster
02-10-2010, 07:01 AM
Despite not being a 'boo-er', I feel like screaming every time I read a post like the OP.

Each supporters probably shells out an average of over £1000 per season to watch Hibs. So rather than start looking to blame the supporters for the recent shambles on the park, we should remember that, without the paying supporter, there wouldn't be any money to pay our highly paid squad, management and board.

TheBall'sRound
02-10-2010, 07:10 AM
So you have already made your mind up to boo Hibs, regardless of how they play.
I assume you will not be singing " We'll support you ever more " then

I don't think anyone sets out to boo at a game - I for one am travelling to Perth to cheer on the team and hopefully see a good result in what could be a very difficult game.

But if the team continues to slump; if the players continue to look disinterested and passive; if the manager continues to make bizarre decisions - how else are you to voice your displeasure?

There's no need to sing "We'll support you evermore" because the fact that we're there in the first place against all logic and perhaps our better judgement ensures that the club have us where they want us.

There are several, cheap ways of getting the crowd behind you - if you're a player it's to make a gut busting run, chase the ball in a seemingly lost cause or put your foot in - show some steely determination in a 50/50. How often has that happened in the past 10 months?

If you're the manager you can pick young players, bring on pace at a key moment of the match or do us all a favour and resign.

It's sad that, despite all his jaw flapping about spirit and heart and fight, that we're outfought, out-thought and timid when playing just about anyone outside of the Old Firm. That contradiction between what he's saying and what we're seeing is the reason people jeer.

Pedro 1875
02-10-2010, 07:11 AM
Hi guys, long time reader, first time poster.

I can see the opening posters point, but, teams earn respect and good treatment from the fans. If they have very little in talent but are working their socks off we'll appreciate the effort. This is not the case at the moment; we have a squad which has some very talented players, easily as good as anyone outside the gruesome twosome and they are not performing and in some cases the effort has to be brought into question. In my mind that is the issue. I have seen crap teams playing dull football, Miller teams, duffJimmy and Blobby prior to the young lads coming through and I've never booed (well maybe duffjimmy's team!). If i feel that we gave our all and were beaten by a better team well what can you do?. At the moment this is simply not the case and if it is due to a lack of motivation or fighting spirit then the players will never gain the respect of the fans and they will get booed.

The fans will at least stay off the players backs if they give them effort and desire, throw in some quality football and try and stop us cheering

Cheers

Pedro

hibbiedon
02-10-2010, 07:20 AM
I don't think anyone sets out to boo at a game - I for one am travelling to Perth to cheer on the team and hopefully see a good result in what could be a very difficult game.

But if the team continues to slump; if the players continue to look disinterested and passive; if the manager continues to make bizarre decisions - how else are you to voice your displeasure?

There's no need to sing "We'll support you evermore" because the fact that we're there in the first place against all logic and perhaps our better judgement ensures that the club have us where they want us.

There are several, cheap ways of getting the crowd behind you - if you're a player it's to make a gut busting run, chase the ball in a seemingly lost cause or put your foot in - show some steely determination in a 50/50. How often has that happened in the past 10 months?

If you're the manager you can pick young players, bring on pace at a key moment of the match or do us all a favour and resign.

It's sad that, despite all his jaw flapping about spirit and heart and fight, that we're outfought, out-thought and timid when playing just about anyone outside of the Old Firm. That contradiction between what he's saying and what we're seeing is the reason people jeer.

when someone says they will boo if we get beat, then in my opinion they have made their mind up, I am as unhappy as anyone about the situation we are in but i will never boo Hibs

lucky
02-10-2010, 07:32 AM
Hibiedon I will sing and cheer the boys on. But I said if we get humped again I will boo. So FFS read what ours post rather than put a spin on it. As for supporting ever more its says it all that I'm going today. Are you?

offshorehibby
02-10-2010, 07:35 AM
I think certain people are a bit over critical of Hibs in general finding the least we thing to shout at. It's not just the odd shout either some reactions are as if somebody had just murdered their granny.
I will never boo a Hibs player during a game, but at the end of a game if we have put in a rank rotten performance and been humped by somebody that we should be stuffing then i will let the team no my frustration.

come on guys, lets cut some players a bit off slack.

TheBall'sRound
02-10-2010, 07:55 AM
when someone says they will boo if we get beat, then in my opinion they have made their mind up, I am as unhappy as anyone about the situation we are in but i will never boo Hibs

So how will the club know you're unhappy? How will the manager and players know that their contribution is far below what is expected and far below what they are capable of?

The thing is, this Hibs team has better players than Inverness and St Mirren and Hamilton but they are better teams than us. THAT isn't the fan's fault, sorry.

Wilson
02-10-2010, 08:35 AM
I'm to blame for some of the football we saw under Mowbray. The Collins cup win - that was me too. Tony and John might have had some input but apparently the buck stops with the fans these days. I'll take the rap for the current predicament but I want credit for the good times as well.

Viva_Palmeiras
02-10-2010, 08:38 AM
Thats ridiculous,

Maybe its the missing piece of the jigsaw puzzle we affect - confidence. Two sides to that inner belief and support from the "support".

2 runs that need explaination: 1) Hibs in the Scottish Cup and 2) "That run" against Hearts.

It could be argued that the 2 common factors there are the support. I'm sure Paul MacKenna would say that certain things become a self fulfilling prophecy. Our belief (or not) in the team does IMO transmit to the team - especially a relatively young team (as ours was in the recent past).

We talk about players having the bottle - the question is when we go one goal down do we have the bottle as a support ?

And for those that use the mantra I pay my money... yada yada. IF it puts the younger generation off are you acting in the best interests of the club?

BEEJ
02-10-2010, 08:45 AM
Despite not being a 'boo-er', I feel like screaming every time I read a post like the OP.

Each supporters probably shells out an average of over £1000 per season to watch Hibs. So rather than start looking to blame the supporters for the recent shambles on the park, we should remember that, without the paying supporter, there wouldn't be any money to pay our highly paid squad, management and board.
:top marks

The tension at ER matches these days is very apparent and so it will be a minor contributing factor to team performance. No more than that.

Expecting Rain
02-10-2010, 09:12 AM
Don`t blame Yogi or some of the players blame me it is my fault, all the booers please stop booing, could this theory be circulated amongst the other clubs, we don`t want our team being booed by the opposition fans incase it puts them off.

RoYO!
02-10-2010, 09:29 AM
Hibs fans are becoming the worlds most boring,booing moaning lot in the world. they even moan at their fellow "fans" for shouting or stare at them for trying to start songs/chants etc,in case they upset the bairns/jump up ,block their view for a few seconds blah blah blah,.............boooooooooooooooooooooo

100% agree with this. it seems that Hibs fans in general expect the team to fail. I would say the majority expect us not to win the SC for example and seem to enjoy the told you so moments. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Some would rather put their energy into negativity. How many times at 1-1, or even down one nil do you see people leave? And not just a few people that have to beat the traffic to get home for something important, but hundreds of people.

Are we the problem? No. Are we part of the problem? 100% yes. Hibs fans can and should take credit in our success, but at the same time need to shoulder part of the blame in failure.

Someone said the players need to grow a pair, maybe the fans need to do a wee self examination between the legs. And cough.

tamig
02-10-2010, 09:49 AM

Since JC left, I think we've seen a big increase in the number of Hibs fans hell bent on giving individuals and the team collectively a hard time. Something that I've never really understood myself tbh, but that's the way I see it. So, you may have a point imo.

NORTHERNHIBBY
02-10-2010, 09:55 AM
Seen quotes from players where they have said that even in powder-keg situations, they have been able to shut out the crowd and concentrate on the game. That only seems to happen after a good result has been achieved though. The critical contribution that any fan can make is to turn up and hand over the beans week in week out.It is when they start staying away that the problems begin. Booing is a reaction to what you are seeing, not the other way around. Now while I would agree that five or six games into a season is too early to talk about changing a manager, what we are un-happy with started months and months ago, but Hughes can't see that.

Lucius Apuleius
02-10-2010, 10:16 AM
I personally do not understand this whole booing concept at all to be honest. Guy in front of me at the ICT game was that bad I honestly felt he would have a coronary before the game was over. He was totally purpl from the minute Nish ran on to the park with the abuse he was throwing at him. Mental in my opinion.

Think I will go an boo the cook in the mess hall.

Vini1875
02-10-2010, 10:47 AM
I think this thread is daft based on the fact that the teams mentioned have and do boo poor performances. At the moment they are doing so the support is more positive, but then when we were doing well I didn't any booing.

Hibs fans are scunnered and although still supporting the club, the moral is as low as I have seen in a long time. This is not about Yogi and the current players IMHO it goes all the way back to the players revolt. We went from the high of the league cup win to getting knocked out of the SC, rallied briefly and then sank, rallied briefly under Mixu and then sank, rallied under Hughes and sank. Watching Mixu's team was hard work for a full season and then this year has been every bit as bad. The worst thing at the moment is we know that we have players who are capable of more and that is the most frustrating thing.

It is as though we need to swap managers every three months, because the players only respond to a new regime and then fade after three months.

Give us a good performance and we will cheer all day long.

Hibercelona
02-10-2010, 10:51 AM
I hate fans that boo and shout abuse all over a pass going back the way.

The players need to pass the ball around the back to carve open the other team. But they get frustrated because they are boo'd for doing so. So they end up just punting it up field to nobody.

hibiedude
02-10-2010, 10:54 AM

Are any of the teams you mention been on freefall for the last 7-8 months ?

Should the fans expectations not be taken into account hence the reason for the booing most weeks.

And lets not forget the managers of the teams you mention have one thing over Yogi- THEY NOT WHAT THEY ARE DOING :wink:

blackpoolhibs
02-10-2010, 11:37 AM
Surely the team need our support more than ever just now?:confused:

Lucius Apuleius
02-10-2010, 11:52 AM
Well lunch was not too bad, the guys tried and put everything into it, really could not ask for more, but I booed them anyway.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
02-10-2010, 12:29 PM
We do seem to have done a bit better away from home in the last 6 months.

OK, here's my theory/opinion - I think you have to ask yourself how it would affect you at work if there was someone sat at your shoulder saying 'See, I told you he was *****' 'Oh FFS, not again, this guy's f'n useless' to your boss, every time you made the slightest mistake, or showed a bit of hesitation.

It's all very well saying 'Well, they're supposed to be professional footballers', but I reckon playing for Hibs just now is probably the equivalent of one of us working with a workplace bully who gets on your case all the time.

Some of us would rise to it and get all motivated and up in their face, and some of us would get a bit nervy about going into work and want to stay at home.

I think that, in our price range, we're going to get:
a. journeymen;
b. guys with something to prove -either because they're young or because they screwed up somewhere at a higher level; or
c. the occasional old pro who's a bit past their best.

I'd say the team's performance hinges on how the middle group - the ones with something to prove - perform. Everyone else is going to be much of a muchness in the SPL, outside the OF. That middle group is the one that's going make the most difference in any game, and it's the one that's going to be most affected by the crowd, because they're either young, or have those 'issues'.

I think even the handbag clutching and sharp intake of breath every time a pass is misplaced is getting to our players, never mind shouting at them that they're garbage.
We need to aggressively break out of that mentality, and give it a bit of 'We're great, get it up ye!, rather sitting there like gargoyles with our arms folded, waiting to be impressed, or we'll end up sapping the confidence of most of the guys who pull on a Hibs jersey.

Gatecrasher
02-10-2010, 12:52 PM
i dont think we are to blame but we dont help matters either with booing and general attitude towards players

Dinkydoo
02-10-2010, 03:40 PM

I was of a similar opinion to the OP until our recent failure against Kilmarnock.

I do think that booing after the ICT game was a bit OTT since we had enough chances (including a penalty and a missed sitter) to win three games, but at the same time if the players look uninterested and don't play with passion, desire and all these other things that Yogi goes on about week after week, wtf do they honestly expect.

Yep, 1 ****ing 0 now can't say I didn't see that coming. :grr:

If we lose but the players at least put in a sufficient level effort then
I don't really mind; if we play like a bunch of amatures and continue this dire run of results (and performances) then booing at the end of each game is pretty much justified imo.

Green_one
02-10-2010, 04:10 PM
I think this thread is daft

Give us a good performance and we will cheer all day long.

All that needs to be said really. This is another disguised happy clapper / Hughes is great, school of thought that is so in denial they will come up with every excuse under the sun. At Tynecastle its the conspiracy against them. At ER is apparently because our fans are c***.

Look at the league and the performance. How the **** do the fans impact the games away from home and somehow stop the players even trying. The football guys are now all turning against him. Everyone knows but the 'lets make up an excuse for Hughes ' crew. The fans who need to look at themselves are the ones who want Hibs to wait until we are too far gone to make a managerial change in any way worthwhile!!!!!!!:grr::grr::grr::grr: