PDA

View Full Version : Celtic Cup

H18sry
01-10-2010, 10:44 AM
The Republic of Ireland will meet Wales in the opening game of the Carling Nations Cup.

The four-team competition, which will be staged in Dublin, will start in February 2011 with Northern Ireland and Scotland also taking part.

Giovanni Trapattoni’s Republic open proceedings against the Welsh on Tuesday, February 9 with Northern Ireland and Scotland clashing a day later.

Trapattoni said: “The Carling Nations Cup is a tournament that we would very much like to win, particularly playing at home in Dublin.

“The matches will provide us with a good opportunity to see our players in games with a real competitive edge at an important time in our bid to qualify for 2012.”

Northern Ireland boss Nigel Worthington is another relishing the tournament.

He said: “I am really looking forward to the Carling Nations Cup, as competitive games against our neighbouring countries don’t come around too often.

“There are bragging rights at stake here, not only for the fans but also for the players as no-one will want to lose against their closest rivals.

“Northern Ireland are more than capable of winning this tournament and we hope to get off to a good start against Scotland in February.”

Scotland boss Craig Levein added: “Now that the schedule has been announced we are really looking forward to our visit to Dublin next year.

“This exciting new competition brings together four groups of passionate fans and also allows me to test my squad, in a competitive environment, in the middle of our Euro 2012 qualifying campaign.”

The full match schedule is:

Feb 8: Republic of Ireland v Wales

Feb 9: Northern Ireland v Scotland

May 23: Republic of Ireland v Northern Ireland

May 24: Wales v Scotland

May 26: Wales v Northern Ireland

May 27: Republic of Ireland v Scotland

MacBean
01-10-2010, 10:47 AM
Gutted i didnt renew my SSC membership this year. Made it impossible for me to get a ticket for Prague on Friday (not stopping me going mind you) and will be rock solid for me to get tickets (and valuable points) for these games!:grr:

Ill still go over though :greengrin

H18sry
01-10-2010, 10:49 AM
Gutted i didnt renew my SSC membership this year. Made it impossible for me to get a ticket for Prague on Friday (not stopping me going mind you) and will be rock solid for me to get tickets (and valuable points) for these games!:grr:

Ill still go over though :greengrin

It's an ideal chance for people to get points on the board :wink:

Steve-O
01-10-2010, 10:51 AM
Sounds good. Just a pity those fuds from down south aren't interested / too scared.

I hope we beat Wales though, too many shocking results against them in recent years.

Gatecrasher
01-10-2010, 10:53 AM
Sounds good. Just a pity those fuds from down south aren't interested / too scared.

I hope we beat Wales though, too many shocking results against them in recent years.

the competitions probably better for it, its more open IMHO

Sylar
01-10-2010, 10:58 AM
Edit: Never mind - just re-read the opening line of the story.

Bad Martini
01-10-2010, 11:17 AM
Ideal result; nae potter in charge, Deek in squad, Scotland beat those Welsh getts who, by virtue of beating us when we have been sheite, think they are actually "good" ... when in fact we, were pish.

Would also like to turn over Northern Ireland for the same reason.

And **** it, we'll sort the Irish anaw and take the cup :greengrin

Simples.

ENDOF

MON THE SCOTS :thumbsup: