PDA

View Full Version : leigh griffiths

one day maybe...
29-09-2010, 05:57 PM
Considering the financial trouble that Dundee Fc are in at the moment, would it be under hand of Hibs to lets say, offer Dundee a loan of the £200,000 owed to the taxman, say interest free until January, when we sign the above mentioned player thankyou very much, loaned repaid.. we get a good player for £200,000 and Dundee get out the **** :greengrin

Arch Stanton
29-09-2010, 05:59 PM
Considering the financial trouble that Dundee Fc are in at the moment, would it be under hand of Hibs to lets say, offer Dundee a loan of the £200,000 owed to the taxman, say interest free until January, when we sign the above mentioned player thankyou very much, loaned repaid.. we get a good player for £200,000 and Dundee get out the **** :greengrin

And if we're going to make it an offer they can't refuse we just need to find someone with a horse.

Hibercelona
29-09-2010, 06:22 PM
I'm appalled that a team with such minor debt is in so much trouble.

The_Todd
29-09-2010, 06:24 PM

Should have paid their taxes then. The public purse is in a terrible state at the moment, and I have no sympathy for a football club not paing its taxes.

CropleyWasGod
29-09-2010, 06:26 PM

Minor? £365k isn't minor, if that's what you mean.

Hibercelona
29-09-2010, 06:33 PM
Should have paid their taxes then. The public purse is in a terrible state at the moment, and I have no sympathy for a football club not paing its taxes.

Couldn't agree more.

But can't help wonder how it was aloud to build up like that in the first place

Minor? £365k isn't minor, if that's what you mean.

Well it certainly wouldn't be a minor figure to me. :wink:

But in footballing terms, I wouldn't have considered that to be such an issue in the first division.

Surely their club is worth more than 365k? :confused:

clerriehibs
29-09-2010, 06:36 PM
Scottish footbal CANNOT let Dundee FC go to the wall!

Jambo cretins would see it as divine intervention! 24 years later, it would make their day!

CropleyWasGod
29-09-2010, 06:37 PM
Couldn't agree more.

But can't help wonder how it was aloud to build up like that in the first place

Well it certainly wouldn't be a minor figure to me. :wink:

But in footballing terms, I wouldn't have considered that to be such an issue in the first division.

Surely their club is worth more than 365k? :confused:

What do they have that's worth that much? Not their ground... it's rented. Probably not even their playing staff would fetch that much.

Gate receipts? Say 5,000 at best, paying an average of £15.... only £75k per game BEFORE any wages or other costs.

So... yes, £365k is a LOT in the First Division.

Hibercelona
29-09-2010, 06:44 PM
What do they have that's worth that much? Not their ground... it's rented. Probably not even their playing staff would fetch that much.

Gate receipts? Say 5,000 at best, paying an average of £15.... only £75k per game BEFORE any wages or other costs.

So... yes, £365k is a LOT in the First Division.

But if you add in the value of their squad, then they surely have the resources to pay off that figure without going into administration.

If they sell leigh griffiths, over half of that debt will be gone just like that.

HibbyAndy
29-09-2010, 06:47 PM
But if you add in the value of their squad, then they surely have the resources to pay off that figure without going into administration.

If they sell leigh griffiths, over half of that debt will be gone just like that.

Correct.

CropleyWasGod
29-09-2010, 06:49 PM

3 things:-

1. a player is only "worth" what someone is prepared to pay. Given that Dundee are in trouble, every club will be looking for knock-down prices.

2. even if they do achieve £365k from selling off all their players.... then what? No players.

3. the tax bill is only for January to April. There's the period since then to pay for.... it will be more. Then there's VAT... rates too, possibly... which might be still unpaid. And all the small creditors.

erin-go-bragh87
29-09-2010, 06:50 PM

I know exactly what you mean. Why should the so called bigger clubs, and Im not just talking about those pink twats across the city, get away with not paying. I understand that the public purse is not looking good but surely they should be calling in the larger sums they are owed. I suppose Dundee are an easy target.

The_Todd
29-09-2010, 06:51 PM

1 - the transfer window is shut
2 - hmrc want the money now. all of it.

CropleyWasGod
29-09-2010, 06:53 PM
I know exactly what you mean. Why should the so called bigger clubs, and Im not just talking about those pink twats across the city, get away with not paying. I understand that the public purse is not looking good but surely they should be calling in the larger sums they are owed. I suppose Dundee are an easy target.

They won't be the last. Dundee quoted HMRC as saying that they wanted to make a stand against football clubs.

Not before time, IMO...

Future17
29-09-2010, 06:58 PM

But a club could buy Leigh Griffiths now. They just couldn't register him as their player until the window.

If I were Dundee, I'd tell HMRC that midfielder Brian Kerr doubles as the club's accountant and his famed unseen work includes paying their tax bill. Therefore, the bill is paid, they just don't know about it.

Hibercelona
29-09-2010, 06:59 PM
3 things:-1. a player is only "worth" what someone is prepared to pay. Given that Dundee are in trouble, every club will be looking for knock-down prices.

I know what you're saying. But you would think that some clubs would have the decency to offer a fair price for a player that they have the money for.

I would be a little dissappointed if Hibs were to take advantage of Dundees situation. Its bad business IMO.

2. even if they do achieve £365k from selling off all their players.... then what? No players.

True. But all they would need to do is bring in players on the cheap. Whats the worst that would happen? They'll fall down the divisions? At least if they don't go into administration, they will have a fighting chance of staying out of the 3rd division.

3. the tax bill is only for January to April. There's the period since then to pay for.... it will be more. Then there's VAT... rates too, possibly... which might be still unpaid. And all the small creditors.

Won't that figure include VAT? And surely 4 months is plenty of time to off load players.

bingo70
29-09-2010, 07:00 PM

Hearts have a payment plan, as long as they stick to it they won't be in any bother, Dundee have been running in arrears for 19 months so i'm guessing they either never stuck to it or have just been deefyin the bill until now.

Nothing to do with the size of the club IMO, from what i can make out HMRC are pretty ruthless and won't care about how many fans the club has got.

CropleyWasGod
29-09-2010, 07:02 PM
I know what you're saying. But you would think that some clubs would have the decency to offer a fair price for a player that they have the money for.

I would be a little dissappointed if Hibs were to take advantage of Dundees situation. Its bad business IMO.

The sound you hear is Rod falling over after his heart attack.

True. But all they would need to do is bring in players on the cheap. Whats the worst that would happen? They'll fall down the divisions? At least if they don't go into administration, they will have a fighting chance of staying out of the 3rd division.

Won't that figure include VAT? And surely 4 months is plenty of time to off load players.

It's for PAYE & NI only. The VAT is separate.

Not sure what you mean by 4 months... now that HMRC have their tails up, they will be even quicker to try and recover the last 5 months' money, which is also overdue.

erin-go-bragh87
29-09-2010, 07:03 PM
They won't be the last. Dundee quoted HMRC as saying that they wanted to make a stand against football clubs.

Not before time, IMO...

I agree with you completely I just mean they should be targeting the bigger clubs who can afford to pay these debts but instead choose to push their luck as much as they can befor chasing smaller clubs and potentially putting them out of business. Im not saying that Dundee havent been spending outwith their means and they should have been paying this by the way.........

CropleyWasGod
29-09-2010, 07:05 PM
I agree with you completely I just mean they should be targeting the bigger clubs who can afford to pay these debts but instead choose to push their luck as much as they can befor chasing smaller clubs and potentially putting them out of business. Im not saying that Dundee havent been spending outwith their means and they should have been paying this by the way.........

Seems like they are, though.

They have their teeth into Hearts and Rangers, although admittedly the latter for something other than late payments.

scoopyboy
29-09-2010, 07:52 PM

Who says their debt is only £365,000?

They owe that to the Government but my bet they would owe others as well.

HOMOFC are about £37million down but only a few million are due to the revenue.

CropleyWasGod
29-09-2010, 07:55 PM
Who says their debt is only £365,000?

They owe that to the Government but my bet they would owe others as well.

HOMOFC are about £37million down but only a few million are due to the revenue.

Indeed. As I said earlier, that's only 4 months, to April. 5 months since then, roughly another £450k.

Not including VAT.

And the landlord is due rent, apparently. He is a director, so he isn't pushing for it.... yet.

Bostonhibby
29-09-2010, 08:19 PM

:agree: And no doubt if one of their fans so much as whispered one of the words that we hear in the many sectarian songs that football fans throughout the world hear the huns singing with impunity every week the SFA would be in there like a shot to finish them off

WhileTheChief..
29-09-2010, 08:39 PM
The ridiculous thing in all of this is that the guy Melville has personal wealth of around £160M. Scandalous if the club are forced into administration again.

Future17
29-09-2010, 08:43 PM
The ridiculous thing in all of this is that the guy Melville has personal wealth of around £160M. Scandalous if the club are forced into administration again.

He might need it as he might be out of a job soon! :wink:

ionahibby
29-09-2010, 09:56 PM

Why? If hibs were in the same position then would rangers, celtic and goodness knows who else give a hoot about us i don't think so!

hibee bouncer
29-09-2010, 10:35 PM

In all fairness, HMRC are treating Dundee in the same way they treat other companies. There's no easy targets. Having failed to stick to a previous agreement requires other avenues to be exhausted.

bighairyfaeleith
29-09-2010, 11:18 PM
There is something smelly about this whole thing at dundee.

apparently there backer has millions in the bank, but he has just been let go by the company he worked for, so suddenly he can't bankroll dundee to the tune of 1m a year.

Sorry but what sort of job allows you to bankroll a club to the tune of 1m a year.

I reckon this guys is about to be investigated and will shortly be on a plane to foreign lands.

Given that this club was in admin less than seven years ago it is utterly scandalous that they are back there through mis-management.

When will clubs learn that buying success can only ever be short lived if you don't have a fan base to support it.

The sooner a couple of clubs go to the wall and real lessons are learned the better, fell sorry for the fans but something is going to have to give soon.

BSEJVT
30-09-2010, 06:33 AM
When will clubs learn that buying success can only ever be short lived if you don't have a fan base to support it.

The sooner a couple of clubs go to the wall and real lessons are learned the better, fell sorry for the fans but something is going to have to give soon.

Interesting thought

So is the fact that Hibs have posted trading losses of over £2m in each of the last 2 accounting periods, bailed out only by selling players.

This year there will be the Stokes money,such as it was and......... er nothing.

When will Hibs supporters learn that buying mediocrity can only ever be short lived unless you have a fan base which actively supports the team by attending matches and buying tickets.

bighairyfaeleith
30-09-2010, 07:54 AM
Interesting thought

So is the fact that Hibs have posted trading losses of over £2m in each of the last 2 accounting periods, bailed out only by selling players.

This year there will be the Stokes money,such as it was and......... er nothing.

When will Hibs supporters learn that buying mediocrity can only ever be short lived unless you have a fan base which actively supports the team by attending matches and buying tickets.

Absolutely, the interesting thing will be when hibs go a season without a big sale or two, I suspect the year after will see a major tightening of the belts.

Hibs do need to start bringing more youth players in to the first team setup though, that much is certain as we will need to make more sales over the next couple of years. Right now we have bamba, wotherspoon and thats about all who might attract decent bids.

Andy74
30-09-2010, 08:35 AM
Back to Griffiths. He is top quality in football manger but what is his recent record in real life?

Not heard much about him recently and there didn't seem to be any interest in the last window.

Thecat23
30-09-2010, 08:44 AM
Interesting thought

Its a vicious circle to be fair, the fans won't come if there is dross on the pitch as the price for games aren't cheap. The board won't pump money in unless the fans start turning up. So it's a case of who breaks first. Maybe Hibs should drop the prices to try draw a bigger crowd, but on the other hand if Hibs sold out or at least were getting 14/15 thousand a week would the board still be as tight with the extra cash? i'll be honest i think even if we filled our ground i think Petrie wouldn't give anymore funds for players than there is now. Sometimes you just have to take that little bit of a risk not a huge one but try bring in 2 or 3 players who fans would want to see play for Hibs and that may get us 3rd and get more money back for the club.

robinhood
30-09-2010, 10:55 AM
Back to Griffiths. He is top quality in football manger but what is his recent record in real life?

Not heard much about him recently and there didn't seem to be any interest in the last window.

Chisolm has been playing him wide right rather than up top so I dont think he has been as productive.

Houchy
30-09-2010, 11:53 AM

Hence the reason that the OP suggested "loaning" Dundee the money now on the understanding that we get the player in Jan when the window opens.

Everyone's a winner:agree:

Green_one
30-09-2010, 11:57 AM
Hence the reason that the OP suggested "loaning" Dundee the money now on the understanding that we get the player in Jan when the window opens.

Sound

Step forward Keith Wright II

Admittedly I have never seen him play. :wink:

Andy74
30-09-2010, 12:08 PM

Assuming he is worth money of course?

I've never seen him play but he scored 46 in 45 games for me on football manager so I'd be tempted to give him a go on that basis. Mind you, in that world Steven Thicot is club captain!:greengrin

Houchy
30-09-2010, 12:37 PM
Assuming he is worth money of course?

I've never seen him play but he scored 46 in 45 games for me on football manager so I'd be tempted to give him a go on that basis. Mind you, in that world Steven Thicot is club captain!:greengrin

:greengrin

True Andy, I've never seen him play either. Could be another O'Brien, signed on reputation but ultimately not that good:agree:. I'm sure that the scouting team at ER have a better idea than me:agree:

If he is as good as the hype would have us believe, he seems like he could be an exciting one and one to try and get in at some point before it's too late.