PDA

View Full Version : Deadliest Catch (possible spoiler alert)

EskbankHibby
29-09-2010, 10:02 AM
Anyone watch this? I love it, almost as much as i used to love Trawlermen.

Anyway was watching it last night, i already knew that Phil Harris, Captain of the Cornelia Marie dies during the series but last night he caught his son (Jake) stealing his medication.

Turns out wee Jake is an addict, quite sad. Not really a fan of 'reality' TV shows at all but these fisherman and the conditions they work in fascinate me.

MSK
29-09-2010, 12:59 PM
Anyone watch this? I love it, almost as much as i used to love Trawlermen.

Anyway was watching it last night, i already knew that Phil Harris, Captain of the Cornelia Marie dies during the series but last night he caught his son (Jake) stealing his medication.

Turns out wee Jake is an addict, quite sad. Not really a fan of 'reality' TV shows at all but these fisherman and the conditions they work in fascinate me.I try and watch it but havent for a while ..i loved Trawlermen ..i love sailing and boats too..perhaps due to my Dad being in the merchant navy...but damned if i would do the trawlers ...:greengrin

EskbankHibby
29-09-2010, 02:00 PM
I try and watch it but havent for a while ..i loved Trawlermen ..i love sailing and boats too..perhaps due to my Dad being in the merchant navy...but damned if i would do the trawlers ...:greengrin

Wouldn't catch me in the Bering Sea on these crab boats either HH :greengrin.

Always find it interesting to see how folk earn a crust and these trawlermen/fishermen certainly earn their dough.

Extremely physically demanding in an incredibly hostile and dangerous environment, fair play to them and there is some real characters among them.

MSK
29-09-2010, 02:20 PM
Wouldn't catch me in the Bering Sea on these crab boats either HH :greengrin.

Always find it interesting to see how folk earn a crust and these trawlermen/fishermen certainly earn their dough.

Extremely physically demanding in an incredibly hostile and dangerous environment, fair play to them and there is some real characters among them.My Dad ..when sober used to tell me some tales about when at sea..the banter & the battles ..

He has a brilliant photo of when he was on a supply vessel in the North sea...he is standing posing in a red survival suit..the boat must have went into a swell and behind him was a sheer black wall of sea..."ach that was nothing" he said ..comparing that to some of the massive waves he encountered on his "voyages" !!! ...:paranoid:

With regards the Trawlers ...there have been so many tragedies throughout the years you really have to take your hat off to those guys for sheer bravery..to earn a living so we can eat fish ..:agree:

EskbankHibby
29-09-2010, 02:41 PM
My Dad ..when sober used to tell me some tales about when at sea..the banter & the battles ..

He has a brilliant photo of when he was on a supply vessel in the North sea...he is standing posing in a red survival suit..the boat must have went into a swell and behind him was a sheer black wall of sea..."ach that was nothing" he said ..comparing that to some of the massive waves he encountered on his "voyages" !!! ...:paranoid:

With regards the Trawlers ...there have been so many tragedies throughout the years you really have to take your hat off to those guys for sheer bravery..to earn a living so we can eat fish ..:agree:

Aye, £5.50 for a fish supper suddenly doesn't seem so unreasonable now!

My grandad was in the merchant navy as well (also liked a bevvy:greengrin) and he was a real stoical bugger as well, shocking living conditions and at sea for long periods in some dreadful weather but just got on with it.

HibeeSince85
30-09-2010, 11:36 AM
I love it, always got it sky+.

Phil has been looking ill all series, I knew he dies but it looks like his son pushed him over the edge with what he told him.

MSK
30-09-2010, 12:58 PM
Trawler wars was on last night ..that was good too, never saw that one before ..:agree:

EskbankHibby
30-09-2010, 03:08 PM
I love it, always got it sky+.

Phil has been looking ill all series, I knew he dies but it looks like his son pushed him over the edge with what he told him.

:agree:

To be fair he smoked like a chimney, got almost no exercise and stayed awake for days but that news can't have helped.

EskbankHibby
30-09-2010, 03:11 PM
Trawler wars was on last night ..that was good too, never saw that one before ..:agree:

Not seen that one but now on the list, cheers.

HibeeSince85
30-09-2010, 03:59 PM
:agree:

To be fair he smoked like a chimney, got almost no exercise and stayed awake for days but that news can't have helped.

He lived a life that's for sure, the amount of fags he goes through though is unbelieveable.

Watched Dadliest Catch for years now and Phil was always one of them best along with Sig.

You just knew his laddie was on something though at the start of the last episode, from the way he was just walking around half jaked

EskbankHibby
30-09-2010, 04:34 PM
He lived a life that's for sure, the amount of fags he goes through though is unbelieveable.

Watched Dadliest Catch for years now and Phil was always one of them best along with Sig.

You just knew his laddie was on something though at the start of the last episode, from the way he was just walking around half jaked

Aye, was obvious when he was slurring his words and he fell in the crab tank. Must be safer places for the boy to get jaked than on a crab boat in the middle of nowhere.:bitchy:

MSK
30-09-2010, 06:07 PM
Not seen that one but now on the list, cheers.Penzance trawlers mate, the same kind of capers as the Trawlermen prog from Peterhead etc ..it follows three trawlers ..two of which limped home with damage and a Scottish crew waiting on them at the harbour tae get ripped in wi some banter ..:greengrin

HibeeSince85
30-09-2010, 06:25 PM
Penzance trawlers mate, the same kind of capers as the Trawlermen prog from Peterhead etc ..it follows three trawlers ..two of which limped home with damage and a Scottish crew waiting on them at the harbour tae get ripped in wi some banter ..:greengrin

Watched about 20 minutes of it but didn't really get into it, weird since I like Deadliest Catch and Trawlermen.

MSK
30-09-2010, 06:35 PM
Watched about 20 minutes of it but didn't really get into it, weird since I like Deadliest Catch and Trawlermen.Was quite funny ...a young "apprentice" got ripped by his Skipper and took the cream puff ..man or mouse ?..nae time for mice on those boats ..:greengrin

HibeeSince85
30-09-2010, 06:43 PM
Was quite funny ...a young "apprentice" got ripped by his Skipper and took the cream puff ..man or mouse ?..nae time for mice on those boats ..:greengrin

I seen the start where some boy spent all his break in the bog with sea sickness, looked like he was suffering:greengrin

Tough, tough job that, no matter the money!

MSK
30-09-2010, 07:04 PM
I seen the start where some boy spent all his break in the bog with sea sickness, looked like he was suffering:greengrin

Tough, tough job that, no matter the money!I couldnae laugh at the lad ..my "voyages" thus far have been ...a couple of gulet trips in Turkey ..a pedalo in Majorca...a trip tae Dunoon on the Waverley paddle steamer & a jaunt down Bingham burn in a home made raft ...no quite hitting the stormy sea ...:greengrin

Marty-Hibee
03-10-2010, 09:42 PM
Was having a wee google perv after last weeks episode and noticed that Jake's currently on the run from the police, or something along those lines, for a hit and run. Huge shame, he seemed like a good fisherman, always hard at work. Some fall from grace

EskbankHibby
04-10-2010, 10:08 AM
Was having a wee google perv after last weeks episode and noticed that Jake's currently on the run from the police, or something along those lines, for a hit and run. Huge shame, he seemed like a good fisherman, always hard at work. Some fall from grace

Never knew that!

Probably a good thing his old man has passed away, Phil would have killed him! Sounds like the young boy is struggling to deal with the limelight.

Ritchie
06-10-2010, 08:33 AM
ive watched the last few seasons of deadliest catch and have always fancied joining a crabbing boat for a season.... will be unbelieveable hard work but a massive challenge.... would be a good experience i think though.

watched last nights episode, Phil had his stroke...... shame but no surprise really, he chain smoked like no one id ever seen before and i dont think any of the captains live a healthy life.

all they seem to do is smoke and drink coffee/red bull.