PDA

View Full Version : Mick McGhee's Funeral

Boris
29-09-2010, 08:58 AM
Just in case anyone missed the notice in Monday's Evening News, Mick McGhee's funeral takes place tomorrow (Thursday) at 2pm in the Lorimer Chapel at Warriston Crematorium.

hibbymac
29-09-2010, 01:35 PM

Toaods
29-09-2010, 06:32 PM
I'll be there,straight from work. hope the rain stays away for what will be a good turnout.

Toaods
30-09-2010, 05:11 PM
Well done to all who attended.

Suffice to say, it was a great turnout of friends, family, lots of Hibs players (past, present and future), management, The Tache and I'm sure I saw Stephen Finnie(the ref) there.

I almost missed the start due to heavy traffic on the way but managed to squeeze in to the Warriston entrance to listen to the ceremony.

A magical send off for Mike with some great recollections to the background of Proclaimers songs. A green coffin bedecked in the club badge to top the lot.

Mike would have been in his element knowing that so many made the effort to turn out for him, as IIRC Pat Stanton said "If the Lord didn't know much about Mike McGhee and Hibs, well he doesn't know what he's in for...".

GGTTH :flag:

Stantons Angel
30-09-2010, 05:36 PM
A fantastic turn out as already said, a fitting tribute to a real hibby!

To be carried in by such an array of past and present players was an honour to him. A guard of honour from the u19s squad was ever so humbling and again a tribute to the man himself.

The speakers too were excellent and a big THANK you goes out to the organisers who did him proud. Many laughs and some tears too but every one there for one thing, to pay respect to a great wee felly and a mighty big HIBBY!!!!

The after service collection collect £770 for the Hibernian Youth, a significant amount too if you get my meaning.

A sizeable crowd back at the Hibs club too more laughter listening to more wee tales of the might mcghee!

RIP pal i know you would be chuffed to have seen the send off you were given.

Congratulations to Jim G, Frand D, Kano & brother Drew for all the work put in to giving Mick a grand send off. Well done. xxxxx :top marks

Saorsa
30-09-2010, 05:45 PM

Suffice to say, it was a great turnout of friends, family along with lots of Hibs players (past, present and future), management, The Tache and I'm sure I saw Stephen Finnie , the ref there..

I almost missed the start due to heavy traffic on the way but managed to squeeze in to the Warriston entrance to listen to the ceremony.

A magical send off for Mike with some great recollections to the background of Proclaimers songs. A green coffin bedecked in the club badge to top the lot.

Mike would have been in his element knowing that so many made the effort to turn out for him, as IIRC Pat Stanton said "If the Lord didn't know much about Mike McGhee and Hibs, well he doesn't know what he's in for...".

A fantastic turn out as already said, a fitting tribute to a real hibby!

To be carried in by such an array of past and present players was an honour to him. A guard of honour from the u19s squad was ever so humbling and again a tribute to the man himself.

The speakers too were excellent and a big THANK you goes out to the organisers who did him proud. Many laughs and some tears too but every one there for one thing, to pay respect to a great wee felly and a mighty big HIBBY!!!!

The after service collection collect £770 for the Hibernian Youth, a significant amount too if you get my meaning.

A sizeable crowd back at the Hibs club too more laughter listening to more wee tales of the might mcghee!

RIP pal i know you would be chuffed to have seen the send off you were given.

Congratulations to Jim G, Frand D, Kano & brother Drew for all the work put in to giving Mick a grand send off. Well done. xxxxx :top marksThanks for that guys, couldnae make it today, it's good but no the least bit surprising tae hear there was such a great turn out and send off for Mick.

IFONLY
30-09-2010, 05:56 PM

Suffice to say, it was a great turnout of friends, family along with lots of Hibs players (past, present and future), management, The Tache and I'm sure I saw Stephen Finnie , the ref there..

Great send off for a truly great Hibby. Sorry I couldnt make it but I would have been in bits seeing and hearing that.

Hibby D
30-09-2010, 05:59 PM
Thank you for the update.

Of course it comes as no surprise to read that Mikey got such a deserving send off. Well done to the club for their presence and involvement and a very special acknowledgment to all his pals. You should all be very proud of your part in making Mikey's send off a real Hibernian family affair.:agree:

big-mo
30-09-2010, 06:01 PM
Mick McGhee’s funeral would make him feel very proud. There was a tremendous turnout with many not even able to get into the crematorium and had to stand outside during the ceremony.

The club that Mick lived for, Hibernian, honoured one of their family with a tremendous send-off. The majority of the board were there as well as Yogi and the rest of the backroom staff. Many of the first team players were also present and well as many former players. Mick’s coffin, green of-course and bedecked with the club cress, was carried into the chapel by six former players, with included three mangers and one assistant manager, the bearers were, Mickey Weir, Paul Kane, Jackie McNamara, John Blackley, John Collins and Pat Stanton. Fans normally support the players but this was an occasion where the players supported a fan.
As they carried the coffin up the aisle, they passed a guard of honour made up of the Hibs Under 19’s team bedecked and resplendent in their club training tops, while ‘500 Miles’ rang out.

The service was a humanist one but you might have been forgiven for thinking it was a humorous one. Tales were told of Mick’s life and all brought smiles to the faces of all present and many stories resulted in hearty laughter. The tails were told by Paul Kane, Willie McEwan, Jim Gardiner and Pat Stanton. Many of the stories already told on this site will give you a flavour of those recollected today.
Other songs that rang out were ‘Sunshine on Leith’ and ‘Glory, Glory To The Hibees’ and these brought a tear to many an eye.

A retrial collection was taken in aid of Hibernian Youth and this amounted to a very apt sum of £770, even in death Mick managed to remind every one on that famous score 7-0.

Many mourners returned to the Hibs club where tales of Mick was recounted via an open-mic session.

Congratulation must be given to Jim Gardiner, Paul Kane and Frank Dougan who helped in organising a very fitting send-off.

As Paul Kane put it, hopefully Mick can put in a word with the Big Man for Hibs to win the cup this year. We can but hope.

erin-go-bragh87
30-09-2010, 06:13 PM
Im sorry to sound ignorant but could someone tell me who he was? Was he part of the club or just a massive fan. Dont want to offend anyone just seeing the turnout and all the posts he must have been pretty special to the Hibernian Family. Thank you....

big-mo
30-09-2010, 06:20 PM
Im sorry to sound ignorant but could someone tell me who he was? Was he part of the club or just a massive fan. Dont want to offend anyone just seeing the turnout and all the posts he must have been pretty special to the Hibernian Family. Thank you....
To say Mick was just a fan would be an understatement. He was a Hibs devotee, going to all and any Hibs games, including youth games, training games and as someone said today, he would even go and watch the team’s strips dry on the washing line. He never really had any money so he would often cadge a lift to games and blag compo tickets , he even managed to get lifts on the team bus to games. And on one occasion managed to get a seat on the bench.

Iggy Pope
30-09-2010, 06:39 PM
Mick McGhee’s funeral would make him feel very proud. There was a tremendous turnout with many not even able to get into the crematorium and had to stand outside during the ceremony.

The club that Mick lived for, Hibernian, honoured one of their family with a tremendous send-off. The majority of the board were there as well as Yogi and the rest of the backroom staff. Many of the first team players were also present and well as many former players. Mick’s coffin, green of-course and bedecked with the club cress, was carried into the chapel by six former players, with included three mangers and one assistant manager, the bearers were, Mickey Weir, Paul Kane, Jackie McNamara, John Blackley, John Collins and Pat Stanton. Fans normally support the players but this was an occasion where the players supported a fan.
As they carried the coffin up the aisle, they passed a guard of honour made up of the Hibs Under 19’s team bedecked and resplendent in their club training tops, while ‘500 Miles’ rang out.

The service was a humanist one but you might have been forgiven for thinking it was a humorous one. Tales were told of Mick’s life and all brought smiles to the faces of all present and many stories resulted in hearty laughter. The tails were told by Paul Kane, Willie McEwan, Jim Gardiner and Pat Stanton. Many of the stories already told on this site will give you a flavour of those recollected today.
Other songs that rang out were ‘Sunshine on Leith’ and ‘Glory, Glory To The Hibees’ and these brought a tear to many an eye.

A retrial collection was taken in aid of Hibernian Youth and this amounted to a very apt sum of £770, even in death Mick managed to remind every one on that famous score 7-0.

Many mourners returned to the Hibs club where tales of Mick was recounted via an open-mic session.

Congratulation must be given to Jim Gardiner, Paul Kane and Frank Dougan who helped in organising a very fitting send-off.

As Paul Kane put it, hopefully Mick can put in a word with the Big Man for Hibs to win the cup this year. We can but hope.

I couldn't be there today as I had another funeral to attend or I would have.
I've thought about wee McGoo a lot over the past week or so and that description, BigMo, puts the lid on it.
That cast as pall-bearers! The wee man would have been in his absolute element, although the U-19s Guard of Honour would have meant every bit as much to him, maybe more.

I had heard that Kano was heavily involved and he and those others who worked so hard have come into their own.

Your post gives great account and for what it's worth, my appreciation also goes to all of those who helped make this decorated Hibernian soldier's farewell such a grand, memorable Hibernian occasion.
And I'll tell them that when I see them.

Glory Glory.

jdships
30-09-2010, 07:36 PM
To say Mick was just a fan would be an understatement. He was a Hibs devotee, going to all and any Hibs games, including youth games, training games and as someone said today, he would even go and watch the team’s strips dry on the washing line. He never really had any money so he would often cadge a lift to games and blag compo tickets , he even managed to get lifts on the team bus to games. And on one occasion managed to get a seat on the bench.

Good post which says it all - thankyou.
He was in his own way "MR HIB'S" !!
No matter where /when you met him he was always a "HIBBEE" and good fun to be with !!
Glad he got a good "send off"

RIP

:flag:

matty_f
30-09-2010, 07:40 PM
Couldn't get away from work to get there today, so thanks to all for the accounts.

I don't think he could have got a more fitting send off.

RIP Mick.

oconnors_strip
30-09-2010, 07:44 PM
was a great send off for the wee man and very fitting that his laddies formed a guard of honour down the aisle for his coffin. it made me very proud and also brought a smile to my face to see so many hibees there in the beautiful autumn sunshine

iHIBS
30-09-2010, 09:09 PM
Great to hear such a send off for mick, so sorry I could not make it today, but I have been thinking about Mick and the good times all week.

Easter road will be different place with out him.

RIP

GGTH:flag:

whereswallace?
30-09-2010, 09:32 PM
As i read the posts above i find myself smiling,not something youd expect when reading about a funeral but Mick would have absolutely loved it,what a great send off. Just a wee strory about Mick that i remember and made me smile at the time. When Hibs trained at Civil Service club i used to go down on my day off,Mick would often be there aswell. John Collins had not long taken over as manager and was in the middle of a session when Mick appeared,JC stopped the session and started joking around with Mick,telling all the players about how Mick had never changed and used to turn up and watch when Collins was still playing! Great hibby,RIP Mick :notworthy:

Jonnyboy
30-09-2010, 09:32 PM
I'm sorry to have missed this because wee Mikey and I have known each other for many years. I'm happy he got the kind of send off described and well done to all that attended.

RIP Mikey

Boris
01-10-2010, 07:35 AM
I would have been on sooner to thank everybody for yesterday's magnificent turnout & the contributions to the collection (£770) but I indulged in a wee refreshment or two last night. We'll be speaking to the club shortly to discuss how best to spend the money on the youth teams in a way that will act as a permanent reminder of Mick.

I had a wee bit in my speech yesterday saying I wondered if players realise how much supporters like Mick dedicate their lives to their fitba team but when I looked round the chapel yesterday at the array of Hibs players, past present & future, and officials, I changed it to say that at our fitba club just maybe they did. Very humbling.

A few folk asked me after the funeral if I could post the wee poem that I put together to go a little way to describing Mick's life with the emphasis on the fitba club he loved, unconditionally, so here it is.

McGhee

In late 55, a wee laddie was born,
Peggy's second son,
Granton was where he lived and grew up,
Playing fitba, having fun.

He soon became a Hibees fan,
The team that first wore green,
Home and away, his Hibs scarf on,
He'd be there, always keen.

There wasn't much glory in the 60's as he grew,
But then came the Tornadoes - League Cup, Hampden, December 72,
Pat Stanton lifted the Cup that day - us Hibees were in heaven,
And only 3 weeks later, we skelped the Hearts for seven!

But like many a Hibee, both here and past on,
He dreamed of the Cup win thats left us forlorn,
Just tears and frustration since 1902,
A Hibs Scottish Cup win surely long overdue.

Oh he could be grumpy at times,
But anger soon went and grumpy would turn to funny,
The only man I know who could drink aw day,
Yet never spend nae money!

So as long as theres a team called Hibs,
He'll be remembered - by you and by me,
A Hibs supporting legend,
The man called MICK McGHEE.

Glory, glory - RIP wee man.

Phil MaGlass
01-10-2010, 08:17 AM
Top stuff,
The Hibees Family.

flash
01-10-2010, 08:38 AM
Great send off for a great Hibby.

Would be fitting if such a week could be rounded off with a Hibs win.

Cinntwamob
01-10-2010, 01:14 PM
Great send off for a great Hibby.

Would be fitting if such a week could be rounded off with a Hibs win.

I've not posted for sometime, but I'm very sorry to hear of the loss of Mick. He was always sunny and was responsible for one of the funniest moments following Hibs. When we were on route to Arzon from L'Orient to see Hibs play Marseille. We ran a bus and 60 diehards attended, one of them was Mick McGhee. All the lads had been drinking, it was very hot so the drinking was frenzied and on the one hour journey this took it's toll. The bus was requested to stop by the assembled Hibbies, we piled out the bus and took our position at the edge of a six foot drainage ditch. Around 60 of us taking the pressure off and one of them was Mick, he was standing if memory serves next to Big Frank all of sudden there is a squeal as slowly yet inexorably Mick slipped into the ditch - there was concern at first and then hoots of laughter, others might've hidden their faces ashamed at the putrid if warm stink from the base of the ditch, not Mick. He was with his pals, going to see the Hibs, so he simply beamed a great big smile and laughed. It was a very funny moment - Mick was a star and was part of the background to watching Hibs for me and many others for years.

The angels up above have been joined by a truly worthy man:agree:

Phil MaGlass
01-10-2010, 02:12 PM
The angels up above have been joined by a truly worthy man:agree:

Thing is does he get past the pearly gates??

Peter: "well son what have you done to deserve your place in heaven"?

Mick .. well mate ahve puked in the backae a few cars and a couple ae ****in coaches like and went skitin doon intae a big ****off ditch and got oot stinkin ae 5hi- likes,thats given ma mates hours ae ****in fun likes, guys ur still talkin aboot it the day man, ken whit ah ****in mean, but ahve spent maist eh ma life followin a ****in fitba team thats let me doon mair ****in times than a care tae ****in remember. Travelled the world tae see thum anaw. Relegated,Promoted,relegated,and ****in promoted again, yi couldnae ****in make it up, great laugh yous ***** huv been huvvin up here eh. Ah dinnae ****in ken if ah want tae come in efter awe, how ****in bad is it doon there anyways eh,ahve bin fawllyin Hibs aw ma ****in life? But the boys done me proud wae a great send off.
Oh aye. yi could huv let me see the boys winnin the Scottish cup first likes ya **** yi.

Peter: Im sorry Mick, you would never have live to 130,though you,ve certainly suffered my young man, you may enter, but wipe yir ****in feet before you do.

Mick: dinnae think ahm tippin yi ya ****, wheres the bar ahm gantin.

H18sry
01-10-2010, 02:19 PM

Mick .. well mate ahve puked in the backae a few cars and a couple ae ****in coaches like and went skitin doon intae a big ****off ditch and got oot stinkin ae 5hi- likes,thats given ma mates hours ae ****in fun likes, guys ur still talkin aboot it the day man, ken whit ah ****in mean, but ahve spent maist eh ma life followin a ****in fitba team thats let me doon mair ****in times than a care tae ****in remember. Travelled the world tae see thum anaw. Relegated,Promoted,relegated,and ****in promoted again, yi couldnae ****in make it up, great laugh yous ***** huv been huvvin up here eh. Ah dinnae ****in ken if ah want tae come in efter awe, how ****in bad is it doon there anyways eh,ahve bin fawllyin Hibs aw ma ****in life? But the boys done me proud wae a great send off.
Oh aye. yi could huv let me see the boys winnin the Scottish cup first likes ya **** yi.

Peter: Im sorry Mick, you would never have live to 130,though you,ve certainly suffered my young man, you may enter, but wipe yir ****in feet before you do.

:thumbsup:

blackpoolhibs
01-10-2010, 03:02 PM

:faf: Superb. :top marks