PDA

View Full Version : Jamie Mackie???

PC Stamp
26-09-2010, 11:57 AM
Or who?????? Press speculation that the fitba industrialist aka Harry Potter is considering a call up for this guy for the games against Czech Republic & Spain.
He's apparently scored 8 times for QPR in the Championship and has a Scottish grandfather. Whoopeedooo!

I'm sure the Czechs & Spaniards will be shighting themseleves at the thought.

Any more non entities with tenuous Scottish links like to volunteer themselves for national service at the expense of a better and more skillful Scottish born and bred player?

Twa Cairpets
26-09-2010, 01:37 PM
Or who?????? Press speculation that the fitba industrialist aka Harry Potter is considering a call up for this guy for the games against Czech Republic & Spain.
He's apparently scored 8 times for QPR in the Championship and has a Scottish grandfather. Whoopeedooo!

I'm sure the Czechs & Spaniards will be shighting themseleves at the thought.

Any more non entities with tenuous Scottish links like to volunteer themselves for national service at the expense of a better and more skillful Scottish born and bred player?

In principle youre right, but I saw this guy play recently for QPR at Ipswich and he was sensational. MOTM by a country mile, and took his two goals brilliantly.

The_Todd
26-09-2010, 02:05 PM
I hear Harry Potter wears a T-Shirt to bed with A.B.R. printed on it.

keep the faith
26-09-2010, 03:22 PM
He is a good player. Guys like mackie snodgrass and dorrans are our best bet of moving forward. Not the old firm rubbish being picked at the moment.

clerriehibs
26-09-2010, 04:05 PM
In principle youre right, but I saw this guy play recently for QPR at Ipswich and he was sensational. MOTM by a country mile, and took his two goals brilliantly.

Maybe he was sensational ... but his link is a Scottish grandfather. So, which national team does Mackie support? If it's not Scotland, then don't bother. Maybe the reason for the Scottish malaise is picking so many non-Scottish players. Maybe if the players that were picked were only ever Scottish through and through, we'd have a better team spirit.

But, until such time as those in charge of the Scotland set-up start to appreciate the qualities of players such as Riordan, then Levein can do what the hell he likes and I for one don't actually give a monkeys.

Bostonhibby
26-09-2010, 04:10 PM

:agree: and the plays for a team with Rangers in its name so Harry will have no trouble justifying this one.

sesoim
26-09-2010, 04:38 PM
I hope Mackie is good - and at least he has a Scottish name - but I think this is another kick in the teeth for Riordan.

Twa Cairpets
26-09-2010, 04:40 PM
Maybe he was sensational ... but his link is a Scottish grandfather. So, which national team does Mackie support? If it's not Scotland, then don't bother. Maybe the reason for the Scottish malaise is picking so many non-Scottish players. Maybe if the players that were picked were only ever Scottish through and through, we'd have a better team spirit.

But, until such time as those in charge of the Scotland set-up start to appreciate the qualities of players such as Riordan, then Levein can do what the hell he likes and I for one don't actually give a monkeys.

Not saying that Riordan shouldnt be in the squad - he patently should - but if he's eligible, and puts the effort in on the park if he gets selected, no problem with that. Surely better than some OF placeman?

stokesmessiah
26-09-2010, 04:52 PM

Dont know for sure but i do know on several occasions he has said he wants to play for Scotland and not England, so maybe give him a chance?

euro Hibby
26-09-2010, 05:00 PM
a bit more difficult to ger selected for England so the Scottish grandfather will do ! I have no problem if they want to play for Scotland and have faint connection. Look at Germany, they have about 5 or 6 foreigners playing for them and nobody cares.

I would agree with the need to play Snodgrass, Dorrans , Morrison ect rather then the usual bunch of old firm players. I would hope that Riordan still can be given a chance but again can't see it happening with Harry potter in the chair.
He was probably att he toilet yesterday when Riordon scored.

oxymoron
27-09-2010, 12:57 PM
This strikes me as a debate about two connected but essentially seperate matters: the validity of a Riordan call-up, and the use of non-domiciled/ vauguely related 'scotsmen' to do us a job. Dont think its entirely fair on Mackie to be judged by comparing his call-up alongside DR - theres potentially room for both of them (certainly as an alternative to an OF/ ex-OF show-up). I dont get to many games these days cos of the distance so dont feel qualified to judge how DR's playing - though the calls for his inclusion would suggest its legitimate.

However, wanted to make one point about the other matter - I think we often think of it as the preserve of the smaller UK nations, not England, but in fact they have a legacy of similar picking as they choose, based on residential factors rather than birth-right. I give you:

John Barnes
Terry Butcher
Graham LeSaux
Matt LeTissier
Owen Hargreaves
Luther Blisset
Cyrille Regis

My point is, that although the reasons for inclusion may be different (most of the above grew up in England to be fair - or could have been selected by any of the home nations on the grounds of passport holding - albeit we have an 'agreement'), nevertheless, the 'pure-blood' debate is one which seems to vex us more than them. In fact I dont recall (with the possible exception of Hargreaves) it ever even being mentioned. We might need to get over ourselves.

Dashing Bob S
27-09-2010, 01:33 PM
And of course, the odious little Michael Owen who claims to be Engerlish but is as Welsh the taffodils.