PDA

View Full Version : standing at games

hibbysam
26-09-2010, 11:16 AM
watching the man utd game just now and they were talking about the empty seats in the united end, man utd CHOSE to half there allocation so that those present were allowed to stand, so the authorities down there are allowing standing, finally some common sense in this world:agree:

Big Frank
26-09-2010, 11:19 AM
watching the man utd game just now and they were talking about the empty seats in the united end, man utd CHOSE to half there allocation so that those present were allowed to stand, so the authorities down there are allowing standing, finally some common sense in this world:agree:

All for it.

Those who wish to sit at matches should be allowed to. Those who wish to stand should be allowed to also.

Woody1985
26-09-2010, 11:26 AM
Are you sure it was half the allocation?

I'm sure I read that they have around 54,000 ST's in a 75k stadium so unless they've been told not to turn up I don't think that's right.

I recall that the authorities were threatening to close parts of their stadium if they couldn't control the fans. Maybe they've taken a decision not to sell tickets to prevent it being closed or there's a reduced demand due to pricing and are buttering it up that way.

blackpoolhibs
26-09-2010, 11:38 AM
Are you sure it was half the allocation?

I'm sure I read that they have around 54,000 ST's in a 75k stadium so unless they've been told not to turn up I don't think that's right.

I recall that the authorities were threatening to close parts of their stadium if they couldn't control the fans. Maybe they've taken a decision not to sell tickets to prevent it being closed or there's a reduced demand due to pricing and are buttering it up that way.

They are playing away at Bolton.

wpj
26-09-2010, 11:41 AM
Does that mean Bolton lose the money they would have made from the seat tickets though?

Betty Boop
26-09-2010, 12:00 PM
St. Mirren are allowing standing for singers. :cool2:

http://www.saintmirren.tv/articles/20100921/saints-singing-section_2233570_2161218

iwasthere1972
26-09-2010, 01:25 PM

I would be livid if I couldn't get a seat for an away match if I thought it's because a fellow Hibby was allocated my seat to stand alongside.

Just doesn't make sense.

Brando7
26-09-2010, 01:31 PM
St. Mirren are allowing standing for singers. :cool2:

http://www.saintmirren.tv/articles/20100921/saints-singing-section_2233570_2161218

If you read it it states ONLY when giving vocal support, doesn't mean standing for 90 mintues

DC_Hibs
26-09-2010, 01:35 PM
"the 2,800 allocation is a reduced amount imposed by Greater Manchester Police due to United fans standing at previous fixtures"

Couldn't see Bolton being happy at losing money due to Man U deciding to only take half of their allocation.

So standing doesnt seem to be tolerated after all.

MSK
26-09-2010, 01:43 PM
If you read it it states ONLY when giving vocal support, doesn't mean standing for 90 mintuesThats the point though ..they want you to sing for the 90 mins, or near as damn it ..if you are prepared to do that they will allow you to stand..

Thats by the by though ..

Im wondering if they have discussed this with the powers be ..hibs say they were threatened with losing their safety certificate if they allowed fans to stand ..

Why then are St Mirren allowed to go ahead with this ..?

Mixed signals somewhere ..

Sir David Gray
26-09-2010, 02:06 PM
The thing I don't understand is that Man Utd used to take 5,000 to Bolton and, because they insisted on standing which the Police weren't happy about, their allocation was cut to 3,000.

Today, there were 3,000 Man Utd fans standing up for the entire 90 minutes. If 5,000 fans standing up is against the rules/law, surely it's also illegal/against the rules for 3,000 fans to stand up and the Police should surely ban all Man Utd fans from the Reebok Stadium.

It doesn't make any sense to simply cut their allocation and allow that reduced number of people to stand up.

.Sean.
26-09-2010, 02:46 PM
There seemed to be a fair number of us standing at Celtic Park yesterdy and there were no attempts made by either the police or steward to make us sit down.

In saying that, the seat I was allocated only had a back... How can they get away with that? It wasn't just mine either, there were loads the same.

MSK
26-09-2010, 02:52 PM
There seemed to be a fair number of us standing at Celtic Park yesterdy and there were no attempts made by either the police or steward to make us sit down.

In saying that, the seat I was allocated only had a back... How can they get away with that? It wasn't just mine either, there were loads the same.Weegie tramps ..:faf:

RIP
26-09-2010, 02:58 PM
Clubs up and down the country permit fans to stand. This is because they acknowledge that it helps the performance of the team if supporters are singing. It's widely understood that forcing fans to sit kills the atmosphere at games.

I'm in the Singing Section (back of Section 43) in the East Stand at Easter Road. The stewards there are quite happy to let us stand as long as we are singing. They only have a word and ask us to sit if we continue to stand after we stop singing.

I've no doubt this has been discussed with the Police and they are comfortable with the approach. Not that they or the club would ever publicly confirm this of course.

So if you want to stand - come over to the back of Section 43, join in with the singing and get behind the boys in green :thumbsup:

Brando7
26-09-2010, 04:34 PM
Thats the point though ..they want you to sing for the 90 mins, or near as damn it ..if you are prepared to do that they will allow you to stand..

Thats by the by though ..

Im wondering if they have discussed this with the powers be ..hibs say they were threatened with losing their safety certificate if they allowed fans to stand ..

Why then are St Mirren allowed to go ahead with this ..?

Mixed signals somewhere ..

Can you not sit n sing :greengrin

Hibercelona
26-09-2010, 04:40 PM
Can you not sit n sing :greengrin

Aye...

But could you imagine trying to pull off a hibees bounce while sitting down.... could leave some nasty brusing. :greengrin

Speedy
26-09-2010, 05:03 PM

Not true

Does that mean Bolton lose the money they would have made from the seat tickets though?

Yes

"the 2,800 allocation is a reduced amount imposed by Greater Manchester Police due to United fans standing at previous fixtures"

Couldn't see Bolton being happy at losing money due to Man U deciding to only take half of their allocation.

So standing doesnt seem to be tolerated after all.

Spot on

Bishop Hibee
26-09-2010, 05:11 PM
I would say around 25,000 of the 52,000 at a full Hampden stand for 90 mins when Scotland play. All the North Stand and all of the West round to where the away support are placed.

The SFA know it improves the atmosphere so turn a blind eye.

Why can't Hibs :confused:

RIP
26-09-2010, 09:34 PM
I would say around 25,000 of the 52,000 at a full Hampden stand for 90 mins when Scotland play. All the North Stand and all of the West round to where the away support are placed.

The SFA know it improves the atmosphere so turn a blind eye.

Why can't Hibs :confused:

They do - read post 14

Irish_Steve
26-09-2010, 09:53 PM
The thing I don't understand is that Man Utd used to take 5,000 to Bolton and, because they insisted on standing which the Police weren't happy about, their allocation was cut to 3,000.

Today, there were 3,000 Man Utd fans standing up for the entire 90 minutes. If 5,000 fans standing up is against the rules/law, surely it's also illegal/against the rules for 3,000 fans to stand up and the Police should surely ban all Man Utd fans from the Reebok Stadium.

It doesn't make any sense to simply cut their allocation and allow that reduced number of people to stand up.

Dont think Bolton would, er stand for that.....

...I`ll get me coat

StevieC
26-09-2010, 09:57 PM

It's a punishment for not adhering to the rules. 2,000 Man Utd fans will have missed out on the game.

If the 3,000 continue to stand the chances are the allocation will be cut even further, and even more Man Utd fans will miss the game.

If the 3,000 had decided to adhere to the stadium rules and sit down, as they'd been asked, then the allocation my have been put back up to 5,000. It sounds like they didn't so I expect Man Utd fans will miss out again next season (assuming Bolton stay up).

Lofarl
27-09-2010, 02:10 AM
The thing is teams in the Premership don't rely as much as big turn outs from away fans as teams in the SPL do.

Im not gonna give the weegie rats any credit but they do take a large gloryhunting away support with them. What I mean by away support is gloryhunters who stay in the town the smellies happen to be playing in.

Green_one
27-09-2010, 07:26 AM
It's a punishment for not adhering to the rules. 2,000 Man Utd fans will have missed out on the game.

If the 3,000 continue to stand the chances are the allocation will be cut even further, and even more Man Utd fans will miss the game.

:agree: So what this thread shows is that standing is being opposed by the authorities, sometimes in very severe ways (to fans and clubs).

If the English police use this in a wider context then we will see the end of people standing. MU will not take a reduction in crowd numbers at OT to allow some guys to stand. No doubt those that want standing will ignore this example though. Effectively Bolton were fined around £60k because some opposing fans wanted to behave like children.

Viva_Palmeiras
27-09-2010, 08:53 AM
:agree: So what this thread shows is that standing is being opposed by the authorities, sometimes in very severe ways (to fans and clubs).

If the English police use this in a wider context then we will see the end of people standing. MU will not take a reduction in crowd numbers at OT to allow some guys to stand. No doubt those that want standing will ignore this example though. Effectively Bolton were fined around £60k because some opposing fans wanted to behave like children.

What would Che have done?

Antifa Hibs
27-09-2010, 09:26 AM
Can't believe people are siding with the authorities on this one?

Man U fans aren't in the wrong here, away supports all over the world stand up, well 99% do, its the done thing, Man U, Liverpool, Spurs, West Ham, Newcastle, Arsenal, Villa stand every week and have done for about 10 seasons plus, then you've got Chelsea, Everton and Man City who stand some weeks. The FLA claim its unsafe, which is obvisouly bull****, as there hasn't been any problems with regards to standing.

The problem won't go away down south, Man Utd get punished the most which is harsh as others teams stand persistantly aswell. They've had their allocation halved at both White Heart Lane and the Stadium of Light, yet everyone still stood. Instead of the FLA acting the **** why not change the rules, make a few simple changes to parts of the stadium and allow fans to stand.

Foreign supports can't believe the nonsense we have to put up with in Britian, its laughable, embarrassing really.

StevieC
27-09-2010, 10:06 AM

I am pretty sure I read somewhere that standing fans at OT had been threatened with areas being closed. It's not about clubs allowing it, it's about authorites punishing fans that do not adhere.

In Boltons case it may seem like a 60k fine to the club, but I'm not sure what alternatives there are, short of arresting 5,000 supporters (which supporters know isn't going to happen), that will punish supporters that want to attend games but wont obey stadium rules.

I'm not getting into a debate about the rights and wrongs of the rules themselves (as I'd like to see safe standing introduced) just asking what alternatives there are.

I have received warning letters from Newcastle (via the club they are due to play) because Newcastle fans rarely sit at away games. The clubs have threatened to cut allocations but it hasn't, as far as I've seen, had too big an impact on the standing (and singing).

Phil D. Rolls
27-09-2010, 10:26 AM
I'm all for standing if they put crush barriers back in as well.

HibeeSince85
27-09-2010, 09:59 PM
Man Utd have a cracking away support, almost constant singing for the 90.

Football is about suppoting your team, the singing, the chants, the banter.

Any support that wants to stand for 90 minutes and create an atmosphere i'm all for, I'd love an away support to come to us and do that, makes for a better atmosphere.

Green_one
27-09-2010, 10:21 PM
Its not about right or wrong

The standing arguement was lost many years ago, without any debate.

Its not a matter of saying - OK we will just stand and show them. The Man United fans have tried that and the impact here is they lost seats (which are very hard to come by) and the opposing club loses cash. Plus the Police can simply do the same again next time. If this happens elsewhere, trust me, it will not be a case of some steward asking you to sit down and then backing off. If the Stretford end was limited because of standing it would end tomorrow.

Just standing anyway had some power when many did it but this development means that clubs will have to enforce sitting or get bitten in the pocket. It will be interesting to see if Scottish Police do the same.

HibeeSince85
27-09-2010, 10:24 PM
Its not about right or wrong

The standing arguement was lost many years ago, without any debate.

Its not a matter of saying - OK we will just stand and show them. The Man United fans have tried that and the impact here is they lost seats (which are very hard to come by) and the opposing club loses cash. Plus the Police can simply do the same again next time. If this happens elsewhere, trust me, it will not be a case of some steward asking you to sit down and then backing off. If the Stretford end was limited because of standing it would end tomorrow.

Just standing anyway had some power when many did it but this development means that clubs will have to enforce sitting or get bitten in the pocket. It will be interesting to see if Scottish Police do the same.

I honestly don't believe that would ever happen, no having a go at you or what your saying because you make a decent point, even if I don't agree entirely with you but the bit in bold, never happen IMO.

StevieC
27-09-2010, 10:29 PM
Man Utd have a cracking away support, almost constant singing for the 90.

Football is about suppoting your team, the singing, the chants, the banter.

Any support that wants to stand for 90 minutes and create an atmosphere i'm all for, I'd love an away support to come to us and do that, makes for a better atmosphere.

:top marks