PDA

View Full Version : Media Tom English - Why Does He Bother ?

KerPlunk
26-09-2010, 09:54 AM
I've never been a fan of this erse but today's article in SoS about Hughes must rank as one the most fatuous pieces of scribbling I've ever seen.

What's the point of this, Tom ?

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/sport/Tom-English-39Aliens-would-look.6550959.jp

Phil D. Rolls
26-09-2010, 10:02 AM
I've never been a fan of this erse but today's article in SoS about Hughes must rank as one the most fatuous pieces of scribbling I've ever seen.

What's the point of this, Tom ?

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/sport/Tom-English-39Aliens-would-look.6550959.jp

Not one of his better articles, but does address some of the "working class hero" guff that Yogi comes out with. If he has come out with this recently, I do worry about his state of mind.

Littlest Hobo
26-09-2010, 10:36 AM
Just sat and read the whole article and really enjoyed it. He makes some great points in there, don't really know why he had to mention all that stuff about aliens though:confused:, especially when he could have made the same comparisons with some of the folk who live just up the road in Tranent. :wink::greengrin

Borders Hibby
26-09-2010, 10:57 AM
Not one of his better articles, but does address some of the "working class hero" guff that Yogi comes out with. If he has come out with this recently, I do worry about his state of mind.

Me to.:agree:

The_Todd
26-09-2010, 11:04 AM
He's written equally terrible articles about Hertz as well. I think he just hates Edinburgh.

w.connectionfc
26-09-2010, 11:07 AM
Clearly, there is a growing number among the Hibs support that are fed up with him and, to be fair, you can see where they're coming from. The team is underperforming. The elan of a year ago is no more. They've stalled and now look like they're going into reverse. It's perfectly legitimate to wonder whether this is a terminal decline under Hughes or a mere blip. It's still too early to make that call. The day of reckoning is not far off, but it's still premature to be writing the big man's obit.

dont see too much wrong with this apart from maybe stating the obvious , aliens in tranent ??? :panic:

hibsboy90
26-09-2010, 11:32 AM
Think that Tom's articles are normally very good. Speaks his mind and cuts through the crap so to speak.

Has been really cutting about the yams before, joking the next week about the hundreds of emails he got, and the people who actually turned up at his office.

He is also very quick to rip into the OF, damming articles about martin bain being an apologist for the 'small minority'. He has also been extremely complimentary about hibs, our setup, finances etc in the past.

His piece last week on Barry Ferguson was good as well.

Hibby D
26-09-2010, 02:16 PM
Just another journo rehashing what's written here on an almost daily basis and getting recognition and payment for it :yawn:

If that's objective "broad sheet" journalism then there's a good few on .net who're sadly missing their calling in life. I'd rather read a fellow Hibby's ramblings here (for £10 a year :greengrin) than getting ink stained fingers reading that guff.

Aliens, urine, tin buckets of washing (wtf? :dunno:), and he then concludes by calling Yogi a "lunatic"!!!

But that's okay because he likes Yogi. Patronising Git!:crazy:

Now where did I put my Woman's Weekly........

Sammy7nil
26-09-2010, 02:21 PM
For someone who likes Yogi the reporter has written a damning article on Mr Bear :agree:

lucky
26-09-2010, 03:03 PM
I thought it was a good read. Do you think Tom English is going to state that 95% of Hibs fans know nothing about journalism? :greengrin

keep the faith
26-09-2010, 03:27 PM
Bit cheeky that one. Totally rips into yogi i (he sucks the life out a room!!) Then right at the end says he likes him though. Aye right tom.

Arch Stanton
26-09-2010, 03:41 PM
Reads like a hatchet job to me - saying that he likes Hughes and then crucifies him by quoting a couple of pretty squirm-worthy anecdotes. (However since Hughes so willingly put his head on the line he can hardly complain about the consequences.)

It isn't aliens that would "look at Yogi and the way he sucks the energy out of the room with his relentless chat" - that's just a cute way of distancing himself since it's obviously his own opinion and it's not a very positive one.

While I think we need a new manager it is because I don't think he is doing a good job. If he was successful then all his working class hero type piffle would probably be regarded as endearing.

Arch Stanton
26-09-2010, 03:43 PM
Bit cheeky that one. Totally rips into yogi i (he sucks the life out a room!!) Then right at the end says he likes him though. Aye right tom.

Snap - I honestly hadn't read your post when I started mine.

keep the faith
26-09-2010, 04:33 PM
Looks like we were thinking the same crabbit. Cowardly jounalism.

euro Hibby
26-09-2010, 04:41 PM
I don't think anyone cares what your background is , you just need to be able to deliver to plan. Yogi has build expectations with all his drivel and he does not look capable of taking the team much further forward and is slipping behind plan.
I liked listening to him in the beginning. Now I just switch off. I imagine the players are doing the same looking at the results. With so many of them out of contract you would think they would be more motivated to do better.

sesoim
26-09-2010, 04:47 PM
The article seemed to be going in one clear direction and then the journo backs off (maybe to avoid getting his head kicked in by Yogi? :wink:).

I hate all the local working class hero type stuff - I don't think being overly common, brash, loud and so on is anything to celebrate. That's one of the things that put me off Hughes as a player and also what made me not want him here as manager in the first place.

JCNo.10
26-09-2010, 06:07 PM
Not one of Tom English's better articles but he is one of the few journo's who is consistently happy to get ripped into the Old Firm on any subject at all (and I mean any subject). Don't buy the 'just hates Edinburgh' stuff at all - although he has been known to write a column or two pointing out the lunacy going on over the road....

Aidian Smith's article on this is better IMHO, worth a read.

Viva_Palmeiras
26-09-2010, 06:26 PM
95% of "sports writers" are not qualified journalists
So rest easy folks. However does beg the question what qualifies them....?
Tenous link but Reminds like the big yin going on about "lifestyle experts" during his tirade about daytime tv & celeb mags

Calvin
27-09-2010, 02:45 AM
I think that Tom English is actually a very good journalist. More often than not his pieces are true and enjoyable.

What he says is that Yogi is crap in press conferences, has had poor results recently but some of his previous work in football has bred a liking towards him. I don't disagree.

delbert
27-09-2010, 08:17 AM
A bit precious on here are we not? Tom English has ripped into the jambos and the Old Firm on numerous occassions and been praised to the heights on here for doing so, but the moment he has the audacity to point out a few salient points about the glaring deficiencies in our manager, he's suddenly a lazy journalist who hates Edinburgh. Sorry we can't have it both ways, he's written this piece on Yogi because it's fully deserved, and as far as I can see there nothing in there we can particularly moan about, the stuff about sucking the life out a room is spot on, he loves to think he holds court at press conferences, but in fact, he's just pretty embarrassing when you get right down to it.

Phil D. Rolls
27-09-2010, 08:34 AM
A bit precious on here are we not? Tom English has ripped into the jambos and the Old Firm on numerous occassions and been praised to the heights on here for doing so, but the moment he has the audacity to point out a few salient points about the glaring deficiencies in our manager, he's suddenly a lazy journalist who hates Edinburgh. Sorry we can't have it both ways, he's written this piece on Yogi because it's fully deserved, and as far as I can see there nothing in there we can particularly moan about, the stuff about sucking the life out a room is spot on, he loves to think he holds court at press conferences, but in fact, he's just pretty embarrassing when you get right down to it.

Well said. :agree:

Hibby D
27-09-2010, 09:08 AM
A bit precious on here are we not? Tom English has ripped into the jambos and the Old Firm on numerous occassions and been praised to the heights on here for doing so, but the moment he has the audacity to point out a few salient points about the glaring deficiencies in our manager, he's suddenly a lazy journalist who hates Edinburgh. Sorry we can't have it both ways,

That's a pretty selective summary of the comments made thus far.

You don't know if the the contributors to this thread have ever praised English in the past so your comment doesn't really hold any substance.

One person has accused him of hating Edinburgh and doesn't appear to have gathered any support for that.

The main points so far is that the journalist has pretty much likened Yogi to some sort of attention seeking loony chav (now that's a summary :greengrin) and slapped in a few "but I like him"'s in an attempt at objectivity.

he's written this piece on Yogi because it's fully deserved, and as far as I can see there nothing in there we can particularly moan about, the stuff about sucking the life out a room is spot on, he loves to think he holds court at press conferences, but in fact, he's just pretty embarrassing when you get right down to it.

I concede that some of Yogi's ramblings do go on a bit and on occasion he has been a bit embarrassing, but to call him a "lunatic"? :confused:

Expecting Rain
27-09-2010, 09:15 AM
Reading between the lines i think that Tom has a lot of sympathy for Yogi and the way he wants the game played, unfortunately his vision seems to be a long way from becoming fulfilled.

Phil D. Rolls
27-09-2010, 09:43 AM
That's a pretty selective summary of the comments made thus far.

You don't know if the the contributors to this thread have ever praised English in the past so your comment doesn't really hold any substance.

One person has accused him of hating Edinburgh and doesn't appear to have gathered any support for that.

The main points so far is that the journalist has pretty much likened Yogi to some sort of attention seeking loony chav (now that's a summary :greengrin) and slapped in a few "but I like him"'s in an attempt at objectivity.

I concede that some of Yogi's ramblings do go on a bit and on occasion he has been a bit embarrassing, but to call him a "lunatic"? :confused:

We could go off at a tangent here D, but does the word "lunatic", have quite the same sinister implications it did a couple of generations ago? IMO, its one step up from calling someone "daft" or "misguided" - a wee bit like saying someone is mental. It is more cartoonish than anything else.

Some of Yogi's ramblings have been a bit off the scale.

Borders Hibby
27-09-2010, 09:54 AM
We could go off at a tangent here D, but does the word "lunatic", have quite the same sinister implications it did a couple of generations ago? IMO, its one step up from calling someone "daft" or "misguided" - a wee bit like saying someone is mental. It is more cartoonish than anything else.

Some of Yogi's ramblings have been a bit off the scale.

I would worry about his mental health, the last couple of interviews haveshown that he is under great strain and I dont know if he has the skills to improve it. Hope he can.:agree:

Phil D. Rolls
27-09-2010, 10:02 AM
I would worry about his mental health, the last couple of interviews haveshown that he is under great strain and I dont know if he has the skills to improve it. Hope he can.:agree:

It's difficult to speculate. He's hardly going to run around the training ground naked, or something crazy like that....hey wait a minute, nurse!!!

hibsbollah
28-09-2010, 11:10 AM

:agree:My thoughts exactly. Tom English is a good read, and one of the few remaining proper journalists out there, as opposed to online reporters who just rehash old copy.

johnrebus
28-09-2010, 11:25 AM
Used to have time for this guy, but after last night on the the Radio not so sure now...,

The discussion was about the plight of Dundee. English said he couldn't understand all the coverage over a club which averages crowds of sixteen or seventeen hundred.......,

Now this is a guy who is paid to write about Scottish football by a so called 'quality', newspaper. If he is so out of touch about a club like Dundee then god help the rest of us.

:bitchy:

JohnScott
29-09-2010, 01:22 PM
Can't see what the debates about frankly. Given he's actually met Yogi you have to respect his opinion which to me didn't seem too negative. That being said it's never been about Yogi's personality but his ability to manage a middle ranking club like Hibs.