PDA

View Full Version : Famous quotes

sunshine1875
24-09-2010, 09:45 PM
"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed............by so many...........to so few." - Winston Churchill

There are quotes that register in the mind and will be remembered for a long time after.

A Hibs related quote that I liked is:

"I don't have any regrets about not moving during my playing career. I was born a Hibee, my dad was a Hibee, I will stay a Hibee and I'll die a Hibee." - Lawrie Reilly

Which quote, football related or not, Hibs related or not, registers in your mind?

lapsedhibee
24-09-2010, 09:51 PM
Which quote, football related or not, Hibs related or not, registers in your mind?

The quote I got from a cowboy builder for repairing my wall - £4000 :grr:

M11BMO
24-09-2010, 09:52 PM
One of my all time favourite's comes from George Best.

"I've spend a lot of money on booze, woman and fast cars... The rest I've just squandered."

madabouthibs
24-09-2010, 10:09 PM
Churchill was a legend for good ones:
"I may be drunk woman, but your ugly. In the morning, I'll be sober."

madabouthibs
24-09-2010, 10:11 PM
"What the is he gonna do???"

Garry O'connor to Tony Mowbray after being replaced by Ivan Sproule at Ibrox! :thumbsup:

hibee_nation
24-09-2010, 10:18 PM
Cool Hand Luke

What we got here is a failure to communicate.

Betty Boop
24-09-2010, 10:19 PM
The balls round, it's meant to roll."----- John Collins

"I am sorry to leave them but for the rest of my life I'll bleed green-and-white blood."------- Ivan Sproule

Removed
24-09-2010, 10:24 PM
".............it's great being blind, you never know when the slipper is going to hit you. It adds to the atnesphere"

:slipper:

iwasthere1972
24-09-2010, 10:49 PM
You're clutching at straws.

Sad Kickback Jambo Robbo_27 (or whatever he was called) when the news that Burley had been sacked and was posted on hibs.net.

Wee airdrie Jambo agrees. :agree:

Alex Trager
24-09-2010, 11:09 PM
The best there is, the best there was and the best the ever will be.

Wilbur
24-09-2010, 11:18 PM
"I did not have sexual relations with that woman" - Bill Clinton, a classic.

Alex Trager
24-09-2010, 11:21 PM
Excuse me. Are you the Judean People's Front
**** off! We're the People's Front of Judea

Alex Trager
24-09-2010, 11:23 PM
I am NOT the Messiah!
I say you are Lord, and I should know. I've followed a few

iwasthere1972
24-09-2010, 11:26 PM
I'm always amazed to hear of air crash victims so badly mutilated that they have to be identified by their dental records. What I can't understand is, if they don't know who you are, how do they know who your dentist is?"
Paul Merton.

Alex Trager
24-09-2010, 11:27 PM
Second last

Crucifixion?

Er, no, freedom actually.

What?

Yeah, they said I hadn't done anything and I could go and live on an island somewhere.

Oh I say, that's very nice. Well, off you go then.

No, I'm just pulling your leg, it's crucifixion really.

snooky
24-09-2010, 11:32 PM
"I wouldn't say I was the best manager in the business. But I was in the top one"
- Brian Clough

Removed
24-09-2010, 11:34 PM
"I couldn't settle in Italy - it was like living in a foreign country."

Ian Rush

Purehibee_MYB
24-09-2010, 11:40 PM
"I'm so fast that last night I turned the light switch off in my bedroom and I was in bed before the room was dark." Muhammed Ali

Removed
24-09-2010, 11:41 PM
Statistics are just like mini-skirts, they give you good ideas but hide the most important thing.

Ebbe Skovdahl

kaimendhibs
24-09-2010, 11:44 PM
You wanna be big time, you gonna f..... die big time, AL PACINO, Carlitos Way

LeithBoozy
25-09-2010, 12:39 AM
Victoria the Jambo, saying the £39million pound debt was not as bad as It first appears. :cool2:

Dashing Bob S
25-09-2010, 01:24 AM
I've got the tactics to beat those *******s. - Jocky Scott before the '91 League Cup Final.

sunshine1875
25-09-2010, 07:40 AM
"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea." - Eric Cantona

Arch Stanton
25-09-2010, 08:50 AM
I was sent to fit a burglar alarm but was given the wrong kind of ladder.

matty_f
25-09-2010, 09:05 AM
Whether you think you can, or can't, you're probably right - Henry Ford.

euro Hibby
25-09-2010, 09:12 AM
If Everton were playing at the bottom of the garden I would pull the curtains.

Bill Shankly

Betty Boop
25-09-2010, 09:13 AM
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind------Mahatma Gandhi

uproar
25-09-2010, 09:23 AM
Not from anyone famous but class anyway.

Big Tony to me... Theres one thing you don't do in life.

Me... Whats that Tony?

Big Tony... You never interfear with another mans wife.

Me... Aye ok. Cheers for the advice.

Two weeks later big Tony runs off with his brothers wife never to be seen again.

Pedantic_Hibee
25-09-2010, 09:23 AM
"I often find that playing 'Get out of my dreams and into my car' lightens the mood whilst I'm abducting a woman"

Me, yesterday, at my desk, talking to a bemused colleague.

sunshine1875
25-09-2010, 09:27 AM
"If I had an argument with a player we would sit down for twenty minutes, talk about it and then decide I was right!" - Brian Clough

Thecat23
25-09-2010, 09:46 AM
Rocky..

Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done.

Viva_Palmeiras
25-09-2010, 01:31 PM
A bird in a taxi is worth two in a bus

Betty Boop
25-09-2010, 01:44 PM
You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.-----Walt Disney :greengrin

HibbyAndy
25-09-2010, 01:49 PM
'Touch me and ill sue you'

Riordans Boots
25-09-2010, 02:35 PM
"I always kiss the Hibs badge. I'm a fan, so I wouldn't kiss any other. It shows I feel this is where I belong" :not worth

Derek Riordan 4th October 2008

SaulGoodman
25-09-2010, 02:52 PM
"Um proud of ma boys, they gave it a right good go"

John Hughes- Almost every game since the start of 2010 :greengrin:

houston1875
25-09-2010, 03:03 PM
Ian Holloway,Blackpool FC
" Nothing's going my way at present,if I fell in to a barrel of breasts,I'd come out sucking my thumb!"

Class lol

snooky
25-09-2010, 05:14 PM
"If the world was perfect, it wouldn't be" - Yogi Bera

sunshine1875
25-09-2010, 05:44 PM
Ian Holloway,Blackpool FC
" Nothing's going my way at present,if I fell in to a barrel of breasts,I'd come out sucking my thumb!"

Class lol

That has to be the best. He is a funny guy.

heidtheba
25-09-2010, 06:51 PM
Mario Andretti on perenially unlucky Chris Amon
"Jeez, that guy's so unlucky, if he became an undertaker people would stop dying..."

Yoda (for de Graff possibly?)
"do or do not, there is no try"

Lady Astor to Churchill
"If you were my husband I'd poison your coffee" reply - "and if you were my wife madam, I'd drink the stuff"

Churchills best, IMHO, is when he was meeting with the boss of a leading condom maker who had produced specially designed condoms to be put over the end of rifles. Churchill went through the presented boxes mumbling to himself. Condom boss says "what's wrong"
Churchill replies
"this will never do, you need to put 'size - medium' on the boxes, that'll teach them who the master race is if they ever find some of these"

Best on Gazza
"He's not fit to lace my drinks"

TRC
25-09-2010, 06:57 PM
I have nothing to declare apart from my genius - Oscar Wilde

There is not much you can do to stop him, apart from send two guys round to his house with baseball bats - Jim Duffy when asked how he would deal with Brian Laudrup

Cheats Fu**in Cheats - Christian Dailly - after loss to Lithuania

Kaiser1962
25-09-2010, 07:01 PM
Larry Lloyd recalls a discussion Bill Shankly when Shankly was telling lloyd he was getting on a bit and no longer part of his plans.

Shankly " The legs have gone and you cant get over the ground like you used to"

Lloyd " But I'm still good in the air boss"

Shankly " So was Douglas Bader son, but he'd no get in my team either"

Pretty Boy
25-09-2010, 07:09 PM
' I respect what Ali and Robinson did for the sport, but this is my time, i truly am the greatest'- Floyd Mayweather Jr

'Great right hand by Ricky, he's right back in this fight'- Jim Watt 5 seconds before Ricky Hatton was sparked out by Manny Pacquiao

Alex Trager
25-09-2010, 08:04 PM
"I always kiss the Hibs badge. I'm a fan, so I wouldn't kiss any other. It shows I feel this is where I belong" :not worth

Derek Riordan 4th October 2008
**** couldn't member it... was trying so hard to think aswell

Alex Trager
25-09-2010, 08:09 PM
Mee:have you heard of the northbank highbury?
shankly: No, i don't think so... But i've heard of the edingbrah hibees

FranckSuzy
25-09-2010, 08:11 PM
From the late, great George Best...

I used to go missing a lot...Miss Canada, Miss United Kingdom, Miss World.

I've stopped drinking, but only while I'm asleep.

I was in for 10 hours and had 40 pints - beating my previous record by 20 minutes.
-- (on a blood transfusion for his liver transplant, not on his Drinking)

Robert Redford used to be such a handsome man and now look at him: everything has dropped, expanded and turned a funny colour.

He cannot kick with his left foot, he cannot head a ball, he cannot tackle and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that he's all right.
-- (his assesment of Manchester United's David Beckham)

And finally, my favourite :greengrin I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.

Dombie
25-09-2010, 08:15 PM
It's all fun and games til someone loses an eye.... Then it's fun and games you can't see!

James hetfield.

BSEJVT
25-09-2010, 08:26 PM
Its not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.

The more I practice the luckier I get. Gary Player

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country.
JFK

Irish_Steve
25-09-2010, 08:37 PM
A couple from Danny Blanchflower.

Our aim is to equalise before the team scores.

And when being introduced to the Queen before a Cup Final when he was the Spurs captain.

The Queen remarked to Danny that the other team all had their names on the backs of their training tops and why didnt his team, he replied "Ma`am, thats because we all know each other"!

Fantic
25-09-2010, 09:00 PM
A very powerful one from from Primo Levi.

''Hurbinek was perhaps three years old born in Auschwitz and had never seen a tree who fought like a man, to the last breath, to gain entry into the world of men from which a bestial power had excluded him; Hurbinek, the nameless, whose tiny forearm - even his, bore the tattoo of Auschwitz; Hurbinek died in the first days of March 1945, free but not redeemed. Nothing remains of him: he bears witness through these words of mine."

Dombie
25-09-2010, 09:05 PM
We have nothing to be scared of but scared....of....itself......

blairwallace
25-09-2010, 09:09 PM
"the boys played brilliantly and gave their all and i'm proud of them"- John 'yogi' hughes every weekend since march 2010

blairwallace
25-09-2010, 09:12 PM
Mee:have you heard of the northbank highbury?
shankly: No, i don't think so... But i've heard of the edingbrah hibees

:top marks:top marks
:notworthy:

erin go bragh
25-09-2010, 09:14 PM
cant remember who it was that quoted this beauty.
if you give up smoking,drinking and women you wont live longer ,it will just feel like it :greengrin

Alex Trager
25-09-2010, 09:20 PM
cant remember who it was that quoted this beauty.
if you give up smoking,drinking and women you wont live longer ,it will just feel like it :greengrin
Very good

jakki
25-09-2010, 09:34 PM
A very powerful one from from Primo Levi.

''Hurbinek was perhaps three years old born in Auschwitz and had never seen a tree who fought like a man, to the last breath, to gain entry into the world of men from which a bestial power had excluded him; Hurbinek, the nameless, whose tiny forearm - even his, bore the tattoo of Auschwitz; Hurbinek died in the first days of March 1945, free but not redeemed. Nothing remains of him: he bears witness through these words of mine."

I cried reading that.

Horse
25-09-2010, 09:51 PM
"War is not the answer, for only love can conquer hate" - Marvin Gaye

Betty Boop
25-09-2010, 09:53 PM
"War is not the answer, for only love can conquer hate" - Marvin Gaye

:top marks

New Corrie
25-09-2010, 09:57 PM
Why is it that the people who work in record shops think that they are actually in the band?

Bill Hicks

New Corrie
25-09-2010, 10:09 PM
Wee O'Rourke told me, that when he went in to see Jim Baxter in hospital, Baxter told him that Jimmy Johnstone had been in visiting him, Johnstone had asked him how things were going, Baxter explained that there had been a couple of complications, he'd had a liver transplant on the Friday, but had to have another one on the Sunday......Jimmy Johnstone said to Baxter.......that must have been some session you went on on the Saturday!!!

Alex Trager
25-09-2010, 10:19 PM
Wee O'Rourke told me, that when he went in to see Jim Baxter in hospital, Baxter told him that Jimmy Johnstone had been in visiting him, Johnstone had asked him how things were going, Baxter explained that there had been a couple of complications, he'd had a liver transplant on the Friday, but had to have another one on the Sunday......Jimmy Johnstone said to Baxter.......that must have been some session you went on on the Saturday!!!
:greengrin

Lucius Apuleius
26-09-2010, 08:31 AM
Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Winston Churchill, last white man to be called Winston.

hibees59
26-09-2010, 09:37 AM
3 from the great Groucho Marx

I sent the club a wire stating, please accept my resignation, I don't want to belong to any club that will have me as a member.

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception

Military intelligence is a contradiction in terms