http://www.saintmirren.tv/articles/20100924/saints-sign-winger_2233570_2164212

BSEJVT
24-09-2010, 07:00 PM

Like the Murphys he's not bitter!

Danderhall Hibs
24-09-2010, 07:05 PM
Like the Murphys he's not bitter!

He left because he wasn't good enough. He helped the manager (JC) to make his mind up when he refused to join in the warm-up at ICT because he wasn't playing. Obvioulsy thought he was destined for bigger and better things...

Hiber-nation
24-09-2010, 07:07 PM
He left because he wasn't good enough. He helped the manager (JC) to make his mind up when he refused to join in the warm-up at ICT because he wasn't playing. Obvioulsy thought he was destined for bigger and better things...

Indeed. And if they really think he's a winger they've got a shock coming.

hibsbollah
24-09-2010, 08:11 PM
Scored a nice penalty against Peterhead IIRC.

Hibercelona
24-09-2010, 08:14 PM
I always liked wee Jamie.

Was never going to be a world beater, but was decent on his day.

Good luck to the wee fella........ except against us of course. :devil:

Pretty Boy
24-09-2010, 08:26 PM
McCluskey was a strange one. He always seemed like he could be a player but their was just something lacking.

He strikes me as one of those players people will still be talking about as having potential when he's 30.

clerriehibs
24-09-2010, 08:33 PM

Bizarre to compare saints' trainning facilties now with what we had then, even tho' he acknowledges we have our own centre now.

sesoim
24-09-2010, 09:53 PM
My main memory of McCluskey is him coming on late and continually trying to do tricks/flicks that resulted in the opposition getting the ball. For some reason half of the crowd would continually clap and laugh as if he had done something special.

He was nowhere near as good as he (or some fans) thought he was - he looked like a wee boy lost.

Removed
24-09-2010, 09:59 PM
My main memory of McCluskey is him coming on late and continually trying to do tricks/flicks that resulted in the opposition getting the ball. For some reason half of the crowd would continually clap and laugh as if he had done something special.

He was nowhere near as good as he (or some fans) thought he was - he looked like a wee boy lost.

Maybe he was just trying to entertain. I know I was one of those that clapped and laughed. Ok maybe he never had the final product and was too easily disposessed or gave the ball away, but football these days has lost a bit of what he had/tried to do and when the wee man came on there was a bit off a buzz round the place for 5 or 10 minutes.

Hibby Bairn
24-09-2010, 10:15 PM
Correct 65bd. I spent a bit of time today on You Tube watching Hibs and Celtic in the 70's and Aberdeen in the 80's and what stood out was the amount of goals that came from someone taking a defender on and crossing it or cutting it back. Esp. Aberdeen. The amount of goals that came from Weir and Strachan setting them up was incredible. Also the amount of headed goals.

We don't do either nearly enough. McCluskey tried to beat his man. It didn't always happen bit guys like him and Sproule used properly can change a game.

Hope he does well.

Wilbur
24-09-2010, 11:23 PM
Good luck to the wee fella, I aways liked him when he was at ER and he had the fans on his side when he did play. Hope he does well in paisley.

KiddA
25-09-2010, 02:53 AM

Yeah he loved a step over or two :yawn: that got old after a while when he lost the ball on a regular basis. Hibs released him plain and simple :wink: He will also get found out at St Mirren too

Dunbar Hibee
25-09-2010, 03:03 AM
I know wee Jamie and all the best to him. But in all fairness the lad was never and will never be good enough for us.

macca70
25-09-2010, 04:44 AM
I know wee Jamie and all the best to him. But in all fairness the lad was never and will never be good enough for us.

Cause our current team (rankin, Mcbride, miller, nish, de graff) are all oozing skill and trickery right enough :bitchy:

Think what went against him was his size/build.

I always liked him when I seen him playing in the reserves or u19's. Like someone said above, he is 1 of the few recent players at er that would actually try and go past a man.

No need to slate the guy by saying he was never good enough and never will be, just wish him all the best and move on.

Good luck to him at St Mirren, hope a fresh start works out for him. Might make St Mirren a bit more exciting to watch with a wee trickster in there team.

DC_Hibs
25-09-2010, 06:04 AM
Cause our current team (rankin, Mcbride, miller, nish, de graff) are all oozing skill and trickery right enough :bitchy:

I always liked him when I seen him playing in the reserves or u19's. Like someone said above, he is 1 of the few recent players at er that would actually try and go past a man.

No need to slate the guy by saying he was never good enough and never will be, just wish him all the best and move on.

Good luck to him at St Mirren, hope a fresh start works out for him. Might make St Mirren a bit more exciting to watch with a wee trickster in there team.

The guy is stating opinion which seems fair enough to me based on the fact that Conference side Wrexham did not keep him on.

It's hardly slating him!!

TowerHibs
25-09-2010, 06:38 AM

ok dad

Septimus
25-09-2010, 07:39 AM
No doubt he will be Hibs manager in a few years.

TornadoHibby
25-09-2010, 07:51 AM
Good luck to the wee fella, I aways liked him when he was at ER and he had the fans on his side when he did play. Hope he does well in paisley.

Wot he said! :agree:

Jamie was a bit lightweight and got pushed around a bit. If he could build some muscle and real strength with it he could be a very decent attacking player who could take people on and cause havoc IMO! :cool2:

Used to love his half time "skill schools" when he was a sub! :wink: :cool2:

Stantons Angel
25-09-2010, 09:32 AM
Ive read all these threads and Jamies bit in the newspaper and guess what?

NOTHING!

he says himself its all in the past, so lets leave it there?

He has been given another chance lets hope he takes it and learns. Jamie was always going to be "a good player" so lets let him get on with it.

I used to love him coming on and showing us the wee things he could do. Yes he gave the ball away... hey so do half our team at the moment. When he came on at Dunfermline one year he turned the tide for us and did show his potential. He was and IS a good player.

Good luck Jamie, go out and show them!

sunshine1875
25-09-2010, 09:51 AM
McCluskey was a strange one. He always seemed like he could be a player but their was just something lacking.

He strikes me as one of those players people will still be talking about as having potential when he's 30.

I have always wondered whether what happened to McCluskey in his career so far is typical of everything that is bad about Scottish football. He was obviously someone that had football skills at an early age (his first 1st team appearance was at 16), but is ridiculed because he is too small and lightweight for the Scottish game.

I wonder if his career would have taken a different path had he started his football career at Barcelona or Ajax or a team like that. I am not saying he would have become a Xavi or Ineista, but we will will never know.

I suppose the question here is does our football training from 16 years above prefer the cart-horse rather than the stallion. I see enough evidence to see that we have good footballers up to the age of 16, then something goes wrong.

Hibby Bairn
25-09-2010, 11:13 AM
I have always wondered whether what happened to McCluskey in his career so far is typical of everything that is bad about Scottish football. He was obviously someone that had football skills at an early age (his first 1st team appearance was at 16), but is ridiculed because he is too small and lightweight for the Scottish game.

I wonder if his career would have taken a different path had he started his football career at Barcelona or Ajax or a team like that. I am not saying he would have become a Xavi or Ineista, but we will will never know.

I suppose the question here is does our football training from 16 years above prefer the cart-horse rather than the stallion. I see enough evidence to see that we have good footballers up to the age of 16, then something goes wrong.

:agree: Great point. Scotland's record of developing young top quality talent at age 18-21 into international class players is very poor. Probably mirrored at club level also.

sahib
25-09-2010, 01:06 PM
Correct 65bd. I spent a bit of time today on You Tube watching Hibs and Celtic in the 70's and Aberdeen in the 80's and what stood out was the amount of goals that came from someone taking a defender on and crossing it or cutting it back. Esp. Aberdeen. The amount of goals that came from Weir and Strachan setting them up was incredible. Also the amount of headed goals.

We don't do either nearly enough. McCluskey tried to beat his man. It didn't always happen bit guys like him and Sproule used properly can change a game.

Hope he does well.

To me, every side needs people who can beat a man. Opposition tactics and formations go out the window if you have players who can leave defenders in their wake.

NORTHERNHIBBY
25-09-2010, 03:18 PM
Main memory of him, was when he came on as subbie when we were one down away to Dunfermline and he changed the game and we ran out 4-1 winners.

Hibercelona
25-09-2010, 08:57 PM
Main memory of him, was when he came on as subbie when we were one down away to Dunfermline and he changed the game and we ran out 4-1 winners.

A game that always sticks in my mind. A very enjoyable game. :agree:

Ed De Gramo
26-09-2010, 12:28 PM
Good luck to Jamie :thumbsup::thumbsup:

*Just no against us :greengrin

Albion Hibs
26-09-2010, 07:12 PM

Glad to see that you are allowed your opinion!

Dont really care if he is good bad or indifferent for any club. He managed to drop in a slight negative against hibs so do i really wish him well?....no.

He was never good enough to play for Hibs, he found his level, if when we play St Mirren next time round he does not get smashed off the ball everytime he has it, I would be pretty disapointed!

Dunbar Hibee
26-09-2010, 07:15 PM

Im not slating him. My opinion is that he was not good enough for us hence why he is playing for St Mirren. Also why you taking this chance to have a dig at the usual boo boys, and McBride:confused: Think iv seen him have 1 bad game since he joined Hibs. Rankin has also been playing fine recently as well.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
26-09-2010, 08:01 PM
To me, every side needs people who can beat a man. Opposition tactics and formations go out the window if you have players who can leave defenders in their wake.

:agree:

FromTheCapital
26-09-2010, 08:46 PM
Quite like the Wee Man and think he's got a bright future ahead of him.....
Good Luck, Jamie ! :wink:

jdships
27-09-2010, 11:00 AM

Don't think it was a case of slating him.
JMCL was another one of dozens of young lads who had all the potential in the world at 16/19 and never developed.
Just look at the number of our title winning U19's a year or two ago and see how many have made the "step up"
I bet there are a good few posters on here who like me weren't able to make it to the top for the same reason !!

:grr:

hibsbollah
27-09-2010, 11:03 AM

:top marksVery true.

Danderhall Hibs
27-09-2010, 11:05 AM

If he played for Barca or Ajax and went in the huff and refused to do the warm up I'd imagine they'd have let him go as well. No matter his height.

jdships
27-09-2010, 02:09 PM

Sorry but think you are missing the point here.
Sport is full of "hard luck story's " of boys and girls who never made it to the very top .
It's nothing to do with training it is "the nature of the beast"
The developement of a young player is dependant on how that person develops mentally and physically , how they cope with the requirements of increased pressure on their personal/playing careers.
How many times have we heard the saying "...this lad shows great promise " at say 13/14 years old . This is often because he is playing against like for like age wise and stands out .
Ask him to move up a level and that is when the problems start.
I am 100% behind clubs sending youngsters out "on loan" to 2nd/3rd division clubs.
Playing against older hardened pro's will soon tell his club coach how good he really is and if he "has got it"
I was one of many nearly 60 years ago when I went from being asked by three clubs to sign to being a player who was never going to be any better and wasn't wanted at senior level - all in three years !!
Ask any club coach of any decent Juvenile side , and they will tell you the same story -.
Ask coaches at most Junior clubs and they will tell you that their club has a proportion of "failed" seniors" .
It has been this way for many many years and will continue to be .

Look at those who have "failed" at ER over the years and you will find many who were being written up as "future stars " , became crowd favourites but when asked to srep up in class just hadn't got it .
Not saying coaching doesn't play a large part in their dvelopement but it is the player who delivers !!!!!!!

:flag:

Dashing Bob S
27-09-2010, 02:51 PM
I wish him well but doubt he'll be enough to save a dire St Mirren side from relegation.

Only Hibs can do that.

But are we up to the task? Over to you Yogi and the boys.

(Dashing 'Expectations' Bob S.)

sunshine1875
28-09-2010, 04:43 PM
Sorry but think you are missing the point here.
Sport is full of "hard luck story's " of boys and girls who never made it to the very top .
It's nothing to do with training it is "the nature of the beast"
The developement of a young player is dependant on how that person develops mentally and physically , how they cope with the requirements of increased pressure on their personal/playing careers.
How many times have we heard the saying "...this lad shows great promise " at say 13/14 years old . This is often because he is playing against like for like age wise and stands out .
Ask him to move up a level and that is when the problems start.
I am 100% behind clubs sending youngsters out "on loan" to 2nd/3rd division clubs.
Playing against older hardened pro's will soon tell his club coach how good he really is and if he "has got it"
I was one of many nearly 60 years ago when I went from being asked by three clubs to sign to being a player who was never going to be any better and wasn't wanted at senior level - all in three years !!
Ask any club coach of any decent Juvenile side , and they will tell you the same story -.
Ask coaches at most Junior clubs and they will tell you that their club has a proportion of "failed" seniors" .
It has been this way for many many years and will continue to be .

Look at those who have "failed" at ER over the years and you will find many who were being written up as "future stars " , became crowd favourites but when asked to srep up in class just hadn't got it .
Not saying coaching doesn't play a large part in their dvelopement but it is the player who delivers !!!!!!!

:flag:

Acknowledged, but doesn't stop me wondering.........whether I am missing the point or not!

(((Fergus)))
28-09-2010, 04:49 PM
Regarding the carthorse theory, there are plenty of players who make the grade despite lacking the physique. Derek Riordan is a perfect example. It's hard to think of a less athletic looking footballer, yet his genius prevails.

jdships
28-09-2010, 06:26 PM
Acknowledged, but doesn't stop me wondering.........whether I am missing the point or not!

"I have always wondered whether what happened to McCluskey in his career so far is typical of everything that is bad about Scottish football. "

That was the quote I was referring to.
The rest of yout note I agree with
Failure of players like JMC to make the grade is not the fault of "Scottish Football".
It is the "nature of the beast"
Without being patronising they deserve our sympathy . It is one of the hardest things to accept - being told " you are being freed collect your boots " :sick:
Every sport from Archery to Water Polo ( cant think of a "Y or Z" !!) has examples of youngsters who do not fulfill their early promise.
As I have said before it happened to me in the early 1950's - what was to be a "glittering career" disappeared because I just wasn't good enough :boo hoo:

Cabbage East
28-09-2010, 06:28 PM
I liked McCluskey, good luck to him :agree: