PDA

View Full Version : Media Decent Article Re. Management Woes Down Easter Road Way.

WellingtonHibby
24-09-2010, 11:35 AM
I dont like the boy Murray usually, he is far too blinkered in his summation of Scottish Football, but this is an insightful article that, I think, crystalises the feelings of a lot of fans at the moment.

have a look see.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/sep/24/john-hughes-hibernian-manager

Keith_M
24-09-2010, 03:11 PM
That guy must have been reading my mind (or maybe reads the threads on here :wink:).

Sadly, this part is particularly telling.

"Hibs' board have only two potential motivations for retaining their current manager; they believe he can deliver the "vision" about which he talks so freely, or there really is no viable alternative out there. The second point seems more reasonable than the first."

lucky
24-09-2010, 03:22 PM
A good article but there are plenty of managers out there who could a better job. Not all would want to come but Hibs could easily attracted a better a manger.

SlickShoes
24-09-2010, 03:23 PM
That guy must have been reading my mind (or maybe reads the threads on here :wink:).

Sadly, this part is particularly telling.

"Hibs' board have only two potential motivations for retaining their current manager; they believe he can deliver the "vision" about which he talks so freely, or there really is no viable alternative out there. The second point seems more reasonable than the first."

Yep there really is no point sacking hughes when the alternatives are probably worse or just as unproven as mixu and collins were when they joined us.

SlickShoes
24-09-2010, 03:24 PM
A good article but there are plenty of managers out there who could a better job. Not all would want to come but Hibs could easily attracted a better a manger.

Who? and why is there an assumption that hibs can attract these great managers? what do we have to offer?

Zondervan
24-09-2010, 03:53 PM
I actually quite like Murray's style or writing.

The man is a dyed-in-the-wool Jambo, but in this article I think he addresses and justifies the key issues, and also speaks for the vast majority of Hibs fans.

ScottB
24-09-2010, 03:55 PM
Have to agree with that article, and that the problems stem back to the players winning the fight with Collins.

(((Fergus)))
24-09-2010, 04:02 PM
That commitment, though, all too often manifests itself in the sort of chest-thumping, rabble-rousing interview of which fans quickly grow tired.

Wonder how the players feel about it.

smurf
24-09-2010, 04:03 PM
Excellent piece. He only unfortunately omits the REAL reason for a lack of board action thus far. A lack of genuine true ambition for football operations and their failure to face up to yet another costly mistaken appointment by THEM.

Phil D. Rolls
24-09-2010, 04:53 PM
Wonder how the players feel about it.

Pretty obvious really. They aren't performing.

Pretty Boy
24-09-2010, 04:57 PM
Pretty obvious really. They aren't performing.

:agree:

Despite their protestations to the contrary in the press over the last couple of days it is blindingly obvious very few of the players in the current Hibs team are playing for the manager.

Badge
24-09-2010, 05:05 PM
Who? and why is there an assumption that hibs can attract these great managers? what do we have to offer?

What do we have to offer?
1. Stadium
2. Training complex
3. Decent squad of players
4. Directors who support their manager as much as possible
5. Potential fan base

In my opinion outwith the old firm the Hibs job is the best in Scotland (by a distance)

matty_f
24-09-2010, 06:44 PM
Excellent piece. He only unfortunately omits the REAL reason for a lack of board action thus far. A lack of genuine true ambition for football operations and their failure to face up to yet another costly mistaken appointment by THEM.

Interesting points smurf:agree:, what shape would genuine true ambition for football operations take?

Keith_M
24-09-2010, 06:48 PM
Interesting points smurf:agree:, what shape would genuine true ambition for football operations take?

Maybe to stop taking the cheap option when it comes to hiring a manager. "Untried, previously played for Hibs and doesn't cost much" isn't working.

matty_f
24-09-2010, 06:50 PM
Maybe to stop taking the cheap option when it comes to hiring a manager. "Untried, previously played for Hibs and doesn't cost much" isn't working.

Hughes wasn't untried though, and Mixu had forged a fledgling managerial career in the lower leagues of Scotland and the top flight in Finland. :confused:

Danderhall Hibs
24-09-2010, 06:52 PM
and Mixu had forged a fledgling managerial career in the lower leagues of Scotland and the top flight in Finland. :confused:

Something should be done about that! What a fraud.

Arch Stanton
24-09-2010, 06:53 PM

What do the rest of the clubs in the SPL have to offer? It's all relative, they don't have to be the greatest of the great when all's said and done.

Keith_M
24-09-2010, 06:57 PM
Hughes wasn't untried though, and Mixu had forged a fledgling managerial career in the lower leagues of Scotland and the top flight in Finland. :confused:

You're right. What I meant was untried at any decent level (e.g. A club at least in the top half of SPL), but that's not what I actually said, so fair-dos.

However, with that added on, I stick by my view. I'd much rather see a bit more experienced manager, yes even somebody like Craig Brown. That was my view before Yogi was appointed, even though I was prepared to give him the chance to prove me wrong, I'm afraid I see little evidence of a good manager in there.

matty_f
24-09-2010, 10:54 PM
Something should be done about that! What a fraud.

:greengrin

hibbiedon
25-09-2010, 03:21 AM
Yep there really is no point sacking hughes when the alternatives are probably worse or just as unproven as mixu and collins were when they joined us.

we have had too many managers since Lexo, probably more than anyone else. I can think of 7 at least, anyone beat that

IWasThere2016
25-09-2010, 07:08 AM
'Untried' - nah! Cheap more like

GloryGlory
25-09-2010, 09:00 AM
we have had too many managers since Lexo, probably more than anyone else. I can think of 7 at least, anyone beat that

Yams. :greengrin

matty_f
25-09-2010, 09:06 AM
'Untried' - nah! Cheap more like

How much did Yogi cost in comparison to the alternatives? Cheapness is relative, so I'd be interested to see how you're benchmarking this one.

euro Hibby
25-09-2010, 09:30 AM
Hibs are a well run club. They choose business profitability over chasing a rainbow. I think their turnover averages around 7 million which is peanuts if you think about the number of people employed to run the business.

Having such a low turnover reduces the options and we get what we get.
Ex players are usually the worst options as fans expectations are immediately increased.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
25-09-2010, 09:59 AM

I think that shape would be an isoceles triangle reaching for the sky, or a star or something like that.

A square or rectangle wouldnae do it.

Franck is God
25-09-2010, 10:03 AM
It was a well written article and certainly identifies what I think was the biggest issue and turning point.

The so called 'revolt' three years ago under Collins should have seen every player involved emptied from the club and replaced with players that were willing to follow Collins way of training and playing. If the board had fully backed Collins rather than just a bit of lip service in the media perhaps we would still be celebrating our Scottish cup win and finished 3rd last season or even higher?

Levein & Houston both said that it took three years to build their Dundee United team. Maybe now is the time for patience not action after all Yogi is only just over a year in.

mcfly
25-09-2010, 10:26 AM
It was a well written article and certainly identifies what I think was the biggest issue and turning point.

The so called 'revolt' three years ago under Collins should have seen every player involved emptied from the club and replaced with players that were willing to follow Collins way of training and playing. If the board had fully backed Collins rather than just a bit of lip service in the media perhaps we would still be celebrating our Scottish cup win and finished 3rd last season or even higher?

Levein & Houston both said that it took three years to build their Dundee United team. Maybe now is the time for patience not action after all Yogi is only just over a year in.

correct the board failed in its duty to the manager then and we have payed the price. under collins we would have got better. the discipline and fitness he would have brought would have been shown on the pitch. yes he did buy some poor players but did he get the money hughes has??

the manager of the fotball club is the number 1 important person there and i would rather we pushed the boat out and spent our money on an experienced manager than wasted it on journeyman footballers who add nothing to the team.

lets get an experienced man, bring back our young players from loan deals, get a few good experienced professionals and build a team.

10 players out of contract is a great chance to free up money, get rid of the dross and build a team.

if that was the vision of the club then the stadium would be much fuller sadly i fear if the results continue like this the next home attendance will be below 10K

ScottB
25-09-2010, 12:58 PM
correct the board failed in its duty to the manager then and we have payed the price. under collins we would have got better. the discipline and fitness he would have brought would have been shown on the pitch. yes he did buy some poor players but did he get the money hughes has??

the manager of the fotball club is the number 1 important person there and i would rather we pushed the boat out and spent our money on an experienced manager than wasted it on journeyman footballers who add nothing to the team.

lets get an experienced man, bring back our young players from loan deals, get a few good experienced professionals and build a team.

10 players out of contract is a great chance to free up money, get rid of the dross and build a team.

if that was the vision of the club then the stadium would be much fuller sadly i fear if the results continue like this the next home attendance will be below 10K

Yep, I have to agree with that. Collins tried to get the players to start behaving like the pros do in most other countries and they wouldn't stand for it. Hell there's a story on the BBC site noting the outrage at Wayne Rooney occasionally having a fag! You get the impression half our squad are out on the lash every week! Collins might not have been perfect, but had he got his way we'd be fit, organised and difficult to beat, not something you can say about us just now.

It strikes me that that same culture that saw the players kick off against Collins remains at the club; lazy, unfit and uninterested players. I can remember Hughes hinting at wishing they did more training / used the center more... Well then make them!!

We need a new guy to come in, lay down the law and show the door to anyone who kicks up a fuss, regardless of who they are. I would back that plan 110% because something is wrong at the club and has been for the last 3 years.

RIP
25-09-2010, 02:35 PM
It strikes me that that same culture that saw the players kick off against Collins remains at the club; lazy, unfit and uninterested players. I can remember Hughes hinting at wishing they did more training / used the center more... Well then make them!!

We need a new guy to come in, lay down the law and show the door to anyone who kicks up a fuss, regardless of who they are.

I would back that plan 110% because something is wrong at the club and has been for the last 3 years.

As long as Petrie is at the club it will never happen. He does all the hiring and firing - the manager merely trains the team. The pecking order at Hibs is

Petrie
Rest of the board
Players
Coach and assistant

Until this order is reversed the problems at Hibs will never be addressed. Mowbray, Collins and Mixu all struggled against this culture.

It simply isn't the way a football club should be run. Ask Alex Ferguson!!

NORTHERNHIBBY
25-09-2010, 02:52 PM

Maybe we need to take longer view and accept this season as a write-off if Hughes can't it around. I wonder, if we give him the bullet in the next few weeks, any plus points that we have about being an attractive club would be outweighed by the perception that success must be achieved instantly.

ScottB
25-09-2010, 10:31 PM
Maybe we need to take longer view and accept this season as a write-off if Hughes can't it around. I wonder, if we give him the bullet in the next few weeks, any plus points that we have about being an attractive club would be outweighed by the perception that success must be achieved instantly.

There's a difference between expecting instant success and expecting better than 4 wins in 27 games.

BEEJ
25-09-2010, 10:41 PM
As long as Petrie is at the club it will never happen. He does all the hiring and firing - the manager merely trains the team. The pecking order at Hibs is

Petrie
Rest of the board
Players
Coach and assistant

What evidence do you have for this? How do the players exert this 'power' over the manager and his coaching team?

(I asked this yesterday on another thread when a similar point was made.)

matty_f
25-09-2010, 10:43 PM
What evidence do you have for this? How do the players exert this 'power' over the manager and his coaching team?

(I asked this yesterday on another thread when a similar point was made.)

I was going to ask that question when I read the post as well, however I'm at the point of just about giving up on asking folk to back up most of the claims made on here recently.

Anyway, in light of that - same question from me.:greengrin

FranckSuzy
25-09-2010, 10:48 PM
One of the online comments about the article...."John Hughes is not in serious trouble. What nonsense. Methinks you have been reading the vitriolic posts on Hibs.net which is full of angry young men who just want a new manager every month or they get bored". :cool2: :greengrin