PDA

View Full Version : Fair Play To John Hughes

Speedway
24-09-2010, 08:40 AM
Talk is cheap, our run is undefendable and I don't see how he's going to turn it around but Hughes is a Hibs fan and I applaud him for this:

http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/John-Hughes-admits-job-will.6548519.jp

HFC 0-7
24-09-2010, 08:50 AM
Talk is cheap, our run is undefendable and I don't see how he's going to turn it around but Hughes is a Hibs fan and I applaud him for this:

Seems like he is finally realising the importance of results. I have a bit more respect for him now for that interview, seems to be quite honest.

smurf
24-09-2010, 09:00 AM
Selective use of quotes given by him by the hootsman. A more accurate version is the BBC on line interview.

He's in denial completely and absolutely with regards to our performances and results since Feb.

And the assembled media let him away with it cause he's a 'character'.

khib70
24-09-2010, 09:01 AM

Agree up to a point. His statements away from the heat of the moment are always more coherent and reasoned. And no one has ever questioned his honesty. Like you, I don't think he is going to turn it around, but fair play to him for at least some recognition that everything in the garden isn't blooming.

He still manages to come out with this though, which is a bit patronising:

"But I keep saying to the fans, 'we're only six games into the season, behave yourselves'"

Aldo
24-09-2010, 09:04 AM
Well if he thinks 4 wins in 29 or so competetive matches is acceptable then Hughes your doing a fantasic job...keep up the good work. :wink:

scoopyboy
24-09-2010, 09:09 AM
I like John Hughes and have sympathy for him.

However he has to go.

lyonhibs
24-09-2010, 09:11 AM
Here are just a few choice excerpts that fail to fill me with confidence that Yogi is really taking the situation as seriously as he damn well should be.

"But I would like to think that people who know the game are looking at it thinking 'they're just having a bad run'. - that old chestnut :yawn:

But I keep saying to the fans, 'we're only six games into the season, behave yourselves'. - does he think before opening his mouth re: the fans?? We are the lifeblood of the club, and our ST money is absolutely invaluable to the club. You'd think Yogi would know this?? Someone does indeed need to "behave themselves", but after 4 wins in 26, it certainly isn't the fans.

"to all those wee guys who have had a wee dig"

"But we don't have a problem" - because there is an excellent spirit around the place, and the team is hard at work, striving to improve.

Aye, right you are Yogi. All is well onboard the fine ship Hibernian FC :bitchy:

It seems that maybe, excruciatingly slowly, the penny is starting to think about dropping for Hughes re: his job if this continues for any - further - length of time, but he's still displaying some of the pig-headed, stubborn refusal to acknowledge the severity of the problem, so I'll be keeping the champagne on ice.

WellingtonHibby
24-09-2010, 09:14 AM

You're applauding the fact he's a Hibs fan?
Im one too, can i have a clap? :agree:

Its the usual intangible guff he has been harrumping for the last few weeks. nothing new. Il reserve the plaudits till i see it translated on the pitch,

bingo70
24-09-2010, 09:21 AM
"But we don't have a problem" - cos we're puir working hard and there's a great togetherness and spirit, ken whit ah mean.

Aye, right you are Yogi. All is well onboard the fine ship Hibernian FC :bitchy:

When did hibs fans become such snobs? I think Yogi is doing enough with the results on the pitch to merit criticism, taking the piss out of the way he speak is doing my head in, absolutely nae need, before we appoint the next man are we going to have to put them through an English test before they're appointed?

With regards to the article, better than we have heard recently, however the thing that i don't like is the referance to it just being a bad run, a bad run is 5 or 6 games, his run over the last 25 games is more concerning than just a 'bad run'

lyonhibs
24-09-2010, 09:24 AM
When did hibs fans become such snobs? I think Yogi is doing enough with the results on the pitch to merit criticism, taking the piss out of the way he speak is doing my head in, absolutely nae need, before we appoint the next man are we going to have to put them through an English test before they're appointed?

With regards to the article, better than we have heard recently, however the thing that i don't like is the referance to it just being a bad run, a bad run is 5 or 6 games, his run over the last 25 games is more concerning than just a 'bad run'

God, I'm not being serious re: his accent. How he speaks makes absolutely no difference - it's WHAT he speaks, time and time and time again that does my head in.

bawheid
24-09-2010, 09:26 AM

Spot on, was just about to post the same. What right has lyonhibs earned to look down his nose at John Hughes? Snobby as ****.

Come back when you've achieved what Hughes has son.

bawheid
24-09-2010, 09:27 AM
God, I'm not being serious re: his accent. How he speaks makes absolutely no difference - it's WHAT he speaks, time and time and time again that does my head in.

Then post about WHAT he speaks rather than HOW he speaks. You've done it more than once.

Just Jimmy
24-09-2010, 09:46 AM

Spot on, was just about to post the same. What right has lyonhibs earned to look down his nose at John Hughes? Snobby as ****.

I happen to think that any Hibs manager should be able to express himself in a proper, articulate manner. This should be one of the minium qualities for the job in my opinion.

that's not snobby, I don't think less of John Hughes because of how he speaks, however I can see it as a problem when expressing himself to our 'non-scottish' players in the dressing room.

Antifa Hibs
24-09-2010, 09:49 AM
IF he does get the boot, he should seek employment as a spokesperson/pr man for the banks, governments etc as his interviews are spot on. As someone who has wanted rid of him for months, for about 2 seconds during that interview i actually thought 'we should give him another chance' :rotflmao:

Hibby 2005
24-09-2010, 10:00 AM
Yogi should be the last ex-Hibs player to be given the poisoned chalice of managing Hibs. You have to go as far back as the 70's when Turnball was the Manager for it to be deemed successful although Collins did relatively well but ultimately was not supported by the Board.

We have built the foundations for years ahead, let's get a Manager befitting of the surroundings.

I read the Scotsman article and all I got was the usual fighting talk from Yogi, not inspiring visions of the future.

TornadoHibby
24-09-2010, 10:07 AM

This has always been the point on this thread but far too many people have assumed that some people are "knocking" Yogi for speaking in the way he does and implying that those people are suggesting he is "stupid" as a result! :grr:

Not the case IMO and people should try and read things for what they are rather than making "pet theories" about what things "might" mean IMO! :agree: :cool2:

Holmesdale Hibs
24-09-2010, 10:09 AM
I feel sorry for Yogi. You can tell he’s frustrated and is genuinely going the best he can and has still a lot of enthusiasm the team he supports.

This does not make him exempt from criticism regarding results and tactics etc as clearly something isn’t right. However the personal abuse our managers get is excessive. I remember someone shouting at Mixu ‘GTF you fat baby ****’. No need for that unless a manager doesn’t care and has stopped trying.

Criticism and even calling for a managers head is part of football but we should draw the line at hurling personal abuse at one of our own.

(((Fergus)))
24-09-2010, 10:11 AM
'we're only six games into the season, behave yourselves

'Wait until you see the size of the smile on my face, to all those wee guys who have had a wee dig.

That's you lot told then!

givescotlandfreedom
24-09-2010, 10:12 AM
Full BBC interview here http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/9028519.stm

Golden Bear
24-09-2010, 10:16 AM
Just more rhetoric.

Actions speak louder than words Yogi. Ye're time is up. Please leave and make it sharpish.

Beefster
24-09-2010, 10:22 AM
You're applauding the fact he's a Hibs fan?
Im one too, can i have a clap? :agree:

Its the usual intangible guff he has been harrumping for the last few weeks. nothing new. Il reserve the plaudits till i see it translated on the pitch,

Good work, fella. Keep it up. :applause:

stu in nottingham
24-09-2010, 10:25 AM
Here are just a few choice excerpts that fail to fill me with confidence that Yogi is really taking the situation as seriously as he damn well should be.

"But I would like to think that people who know the game are looking at it thinking 'they're just having a bad run'. - that old chestnut :yawn:

Reminds me of when I enquired how a mate's local amateur side were doing?

'We're ok - we're just having a run of bad seasons.'
:wink:

Groathillgrump
24-09-2010, 10:30 AM
There is so much denial of how bad we are that Yogi is beginning to remind me of this guy. :cool2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXl1GkWWGmA

JimBHibees
24-09-2010, 10:44 AM
He really needs to learn that sometimes less is more. Why does he need to give an interview to anyone after Wednesdays game. It is time to batten down the hatches and get the players playing and not being a rentaquote to all and everyone. Jeez he was even phoning up the clown Ewen Cameron on live radio a few weeks to go. He is coming over as either very naive or IMO very arrogant that his way is the best. I cant believe for one minute guys like Evans, Rice are advising him to do what he is currently doing.

Listened to the radio before the Killie game and he was his usual self pre-game laughing and joking about each and everything including refs. It seems like he is a bit of a shichopherenic at the moment, one minute happy Larry next minute a Psycho with veins bulging. Is it any wonder the players look like they dont really know what he wants.

He needs to learn self control and a bit of self awareness of how he is acting. He would be better phoning and speaking to Fergie or Walter Smith about how he should be acting. Can you imagien Smith acting the classrooom joker if he was going through a similar run to Yogi's at the moment.

JCHibby
24-09-2010, 10:44 AM
Great interview by Hughes - I hope that he can turn this around you can see he is one determined lad.

Would be just the Hibs way to go and get a result on Saturday now.

GGTTH

:thumbsup:

Ritchie
24-09-2010, 10:48 AM

its all hibs.net fault. :agree:

the admins winnae let us chavvies speak how we do ootside n that ken??

nae wonder wir aw becoming 2 snobby.

:devil:

Ritchie
24-09-2010, 10:49 AM

you've obviously not met lyonhibs.... he is 100% snob.

Keith_M
24-09-2010, 10:51 AM
Yogi Hughes in action (http://www.thugvillage.com/media/videos/viewvideo/587/military/comical-ali) at various press conferences.

WellingtonHibby
24-09-2010, 10:51 AM
Good work, fella. Keep it up. :applause:

Clearly you're a real supporter whae kens his fitba' - Now if everyone else kin get behind me and get right guid Siege mentality going, we kin git through this difficult patch....:blah:

lyonhibs
24-09-2010, 11:09 AM
you've obviously not met lyonhibs.... he is 100% snob.

:agree: :agree:

:greengrin

Baldy Foghorn
24-09-2010, 11:11 AM

"People who know football will say it's a bad run", no Yogi it is a ******* awful run....

More patronising guff being spouted

The Tubs
24-09-2010, 11:59 AM
I'm still behind the ******. It's as unlikely as me starring in the next celebrity sex tape wi Boaby Ball but I hope we can go on a 20 game unbeaten run and get it right up the doubters.

I, however, don't have to go every week.

flash
24-09-2010, 12:03 PM
The title of this thread marked it as doomed as the chances of the majority of Hibs fans being anything resembling fair to Yogi these days is, to say the least, unlikely.

Speedway
24-09-2010, 12:56 PM
Clearly you're a real supporter whae kens his fitba' - Now if everyone else kin get behind me and get right guid Siege mentality going, we kin git through this difficult patch....:blah:

BrightonHibby, I feel you've made a crap start to the season but just to let you know that you clearly ken a player when you see one and I'm behind you all the way at Parkheid this weekend.

:applause:

Groathillgrump
24-09-2010, 12:59 PM
Yogi Hughes in action (http://www.thugvillage.com/media/videos/viewvideo/587/military/comical-ali) at various press conferences.

Ahem, see post 23. :cool2:

:greengrin

Andy74
24-09-2010, 01:03 PM
Hughes isn't going anywhere so the sooner people can try and support the team with some positivity the better.

If we don't real want it to work then it won't and then good luck the next guy and we'll all be here again soon.

WellingtonHibby
24-09-2010, 01:40 PM
BrightonHibby, I feel you've made a crap start to the season but just to let you know that you clearly ken a player when you see one and I'm behind you all the way at Parkheid this weekend.

:applause:

:thumbsup: Barry, Likes.

Criswell
24-09-2010, 10:58 PM
I thought the myth that Hughes is a cradle Hibs fan had been well and truly put to bed. Apparently, he's always been a parkhead gloryhunter.

Nameless
25-09-2010, 07:33 AM
The title of this thread marked it as doomed as the chances of the majority of Hibs fans being anything resembling fair to Yogi these days is, to say the least, unlikely.

Really:confused:

What would be fair then?

Hughes is a terrible manager, and the sooner he goes the better. His pre and post match press conferences are more often than not cringeworthy rambles that do not address the problems at Hibs just now. He seems to think last season doesn't count, and that our "current" form is fine when it clearly is not. The fact that it took until the Killie game on Wed before the fans finally let him know what they thought shows a fantastic level of "fairness" in my opinion.

Ray_
25-09-2010, 08:41 AM

He is still in denial about how poor we really are & stating it is down to luck. A great deal of our great run last season was down to luck, as consistantly we have not played well for about three years.

punks_jump_up
25-09-2010, 11:00 AM
Was he a Hibs fan though :confused: or did he have other green & white leanings as a young lad ?

Expecting Rain
25-09-2010, 11:50 AM
I like Yogi,i like the fact he is a supporter as well, i don`t like the way things are going with my team at the moment,he talks about proving people wrong, i hope he proves me wrong, i don`t see any evidence to suggest that this going to happen, we`re told to be patient that comes with the territory, good luck John you`re going to need it in spades, a good performance ( not neccessarily a result ) would help to kickstart our season.:flag:

Iain G
25-09-2010, 11:57 AM

Aye, come back when you've managed to fluke 4 wins out of a run of 25 matches :wink::greengrin