PDA

View Full Version : Under 19's - Hamilton 1 Hibernian 2

oconnors_strip
23-09-2010, 06:21 PM
hibs under 19s are playing hamilton tomorrow at linlithgow rose's ground prestonfield, kick off 1pm.

will be very weird no having mick mcghee standing on the touchline beside me, hope your lads do you proud mate

Billy
24-09-2010, 12:50 PM
Currently 2-0 Hibernian at half time. Scorer details are on the official site.

ancienthibby
24-09-2010, 01:58 PM
Currently 2-0 Hibernian at half time. Scorer details are on the official site.

The lads win 2-1!!

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20100924/hibernian-under-19s-win_2262950_2163666

Hamish
24-09-2010, 01:59 PM
Aye and with only 10 players according to the team on the official site

oconnors_strip
24-09-2010, 02:02 PM
Handling got sent off with a few mins to go, ref said he kicked out. Should have been hamilton last man sent off instead!!!! Ref a joke

BEEJ
24-09-2010, 02:16 PM
:thumbsup: Well done to the U-19s.

Sounds like they'll miss the lad, Handling, if he's suspended for the next game.

Badge
24-09-2010, 05:20 PM
How are the youngsters doing in the league?

Iggy Pope
24-09-2010, 05:21 PM
Handling got sent off with a few mins to go, ref said he kicked out. Should have been hamilton last man sent off instead!!!! Ref a joke

:thumbsup: Well done to the U-19s.

Sounds like they'll miss the lad, Handling, if he's suspended for the next game.

Handling eh?
Do we know much about this boy's bloodlines?
Can he be in any way related to the great man himself?

6 goals in 10 games against the Hertz including a hat-trick at the Hole.
http://www.ihibs.co.uk/player.php?playerid=147

truehibernian
24-09-2010, 05:50 PM
Very good player, quick, nimble, really good finisher and to be honest we could really do no worse than throw him in at the deep end. Great prospect (but that said so is Kurtis Byrne) but if we still have Hughes in charge this season and next we will see neither in the first team anytime soon. Doesn't seem to trust youth and doesn't seem to like youngsters that have real confidence and a wee touch of gallusness as the west coasters would say. Sooner we are rid the better for our young players IMHO.

Danderhall Hibs
24-09-2010, 05:57 PM
Very good player, quick, nimble, really good finisher and to be honest we could really do no worse than throw him in at the deep end. Great prospect (but that said so is Kurtis Byrne) but if we still have Hughes in charge this season and next we will see neither in the first team anytime soon. Doesn't seem to trust youth and doesn't seem to like youngsters that have real confidence and a wee touch of gallusness as the west coasters would say. Sooner we are rid the better for our young players IMHO.

Right enough, he's barely played Wotherspoon and Hanlon.

truehibernian
24-09-2010, 06:02 PM
Right enough, he's barely played Wotherspoon and Hanlon.

Plays DW all over the park and introduced him at RB. To me that is not really a good judge of DW. Hanlon - never a left back in a month of Sundays and was found out repeatedly last season early on in that position. He is a natural centre half/sweeper (in his juvenile days a midfielder). Can you name any more ?

He played Kurtis on the right and left wing on the sparse occasions (I think 3 appearances, 2 as sub) when he is a centre forward.

Not having a go mate but go along and watch the 19's, watch Currie, Booth and Welsh (when he returns), and then come back to me and say that Ranks, McBride, Nish and De Graaf are any better. And ask Hughes why he doesn't like Kurtis while you are at it :wink:

berwickhibee
24-09-2010, 06:34 PM
Plays DW all over the park and introduced him at RB. To me that is not really a good judge of DW. Hanlon - never a left back in a month of Sundays and was found out repeatedly last season early on in that position. He is a natural centre half/sweeper (in his juvenile days a midfielder). Can you name any more ?

He played Kurtis on the right and left wing on the sparse occasions (I think 3 appearances, 2 as sub) when he is a centre forward.

Not having a go mate but go along and watch the 19's, watch Currie, Booth and Welsh (when he returns), and then come back to me and say that Ranks, McBride, Nish and De Graaf are any better. And ask Hughes why he doesn't like Kurtis while you are at it :wink:

currie and welsh are now in the 1st team squad,too old for under 19s??

and booth is out on loan at brechin city:wink:

truehibernian
24-09-2010, 06:37 PM
I know fine where they all are. I do however think they can all be introduced to the first team quicker and if necessary gradually. Welsh (injured) and Booth are the pick of the crop, Currie could easily play in the current side, and Hughes doesn't like Byrne. None will see any decent top team action this season. That is my point.

oconnors_strip
24-09-2010, 06:38 PM

totally agree with you about danny being quick, good finisher, nimble, great work rate but he has ONLY JUST TURNED 16!!! even if we had another manager in charge no way would i want danny to be thrown in at the deep end. defiantely one to keep an eye out for:wink:

truehibernian
24-09-2010, 06:40 PM
totally agree with you about danny being quick, good finisher, nimble, great work rate but he has ONLY JUST TURNED 16!!! even if we had another manager in charge no way would i want danny to be thrown in at the deep end. defiantely one to keep an eye out for:wink:

I know Nikki, but my point is that these players have pace, raw energy to burn and skill. I don't want Hughes touching them being honest and would happily have another manager take care of them. However some may leave and go elsewhere for top team action or chances. Byrne, Booth and Currie (and Sean) are all IMHO good enough to start for Hibs in the present climate - your thoughts ?

PaulSmith
24-09-2010, 06:41 PM

Your opinion is that you can judge players playing against 16, 17 and 18 year old laddies as somehow better than 2 players that have played their career in 2 of the top leagues in Europe and one who has spend 7/8 years in the SPL.

I know where you are coming in that they should maybe be given a chance but to compare them to seasoned pro's whilst watching kids game, sorry I'm not buying that one.

truehibernian
24-09-2010, 06:47 PM
Your opinion is that you can judge players playing against 16, 17 and 18 year old laddies as somehow better than 2 players that have played their career in 2 of the top leagues in Europe and one who has spend 7/8 years in the SPL.

I know where you are coming in that they should maybe be given a chance but to compare them to seasoned pro's whilst watching kids game, sorry I'm not buying that one.

Welsh and Currie have been in Hughes first team squad since the day he arrived so to me they are not in the "young laddie" bracket whereas say Danny Handling and young Caldwell most certainly are. Booth and Byrne are good enough.....it really is that simple. I played and I now watch a lot of football, all ages, all levels. I think they are fantastic talents and can be introduced a lot quicker into the side, especially when we are playing so poorly (for 9 months now). Again it is just my opinion and yep I am often wrong.

oconnors_strip
24-09-2010, 06:49 PM
I know Nikki, but my point is that these players have pace, raw energy to burn and skill. I don't want Hughes touching them being honest and would happily have another manager take care of them. However some may leave and go elsewhere for top team action or chances. Byrne, Booth and Currie (and Sean) are all IMHO good enough to start for Hibs in the present climate - your thoughts ?

i agree, i think currie and a fit welsh are good enough to start every week for hibs. they would give 110% every week and wouldnt bottle it when going for a ball unlike a couple of midfielders we have:bitchy:

PaulSmith
24-09-2010, 06:56 PM
Welsh and Currie have been in Hughes first team squad since the day he arrived so to me they are not in the "young laddie" bracket whereas say Danny Handling and young Caldwell most certainly are. Booth and Byrne are good enough.....it really is that simple. I played and I now watch a lot of football, all ages, all levels. I think they are fantastic talents and can be introduced a lot quicker into the side, especially when we are playing so poorly (for 9 months now). Again it is just my opinion and yep I am often wrong.

I agree that they should be given a chance to show what they are capable off but what I'm saying is that we need to get some perspective when talking about the 19s (who IIRC finished bottom of the league last season) and 17s.

If you've watched a lot of football over the years I bet you could reel off 10, 20 or 25 players in the last 10 years alone who were outstanding in their respective age group but now play in EoS, lower SFL or Junior leagues.

I remember reading a poster on here how Blair Tolmie was superb and Hibs made a huge error by letting him go (even backed up by signing for Celtic for a season) and 1 year later he's playing EoS.

Billy
24-09-2010, 07:49 PM
You can see Crawfords goal via the freeview player on the front page of the official site.

Match highlights will be up for Hibernian TV subscribers in appx 10 minutes time.

thebakerboy
24-09-2010, 07:54 PM
Just want to say Jimmy O'rourke played his first game in a European tie at 16. Others that spring to mind are Wayne Rooney and Lionel Messi , so if they are good enough for the level of club they are old enough.:notworthy:

Perspective
24-09-2010, 08:16 PM
Just my opinion, but the elevation of Kurtis Byrne to some sort of saviour is unjustified and unfair on the lad.

He seems a nice lad but from what I've seen of him in the 19s he doesn't have it. I'd like to be proved wrong but Hibs very rarely get these calls wrong. I remember similar moans when the likes of Damon Gray, Ross Campbell, Kevin McDonald etc were released but none have gone on to enjoy a good career.

Also don't think Currie or Welsh are good enough to make it at Hibs. Booth could if he brushes up on the defensive side of his game because he has a lot to offer but Yogi seems to need a bit of convincing on that front.

Hanlon and Wotherspoon both have 'it' in my opinion, but I'm worried they're not mentally tough enough to do their ability and technique justice. Again, hope to be proved wrong.

We have everything going for us in terms of debt levels and facilities. Now I'd like some serious attention to be paid to the club infrastructure in terms of youth development funding (really pushing to get the best young talent to East Mains) and sorting out player recruitment with some sort of long-term stategy, because I think we fritter away a lot of money needlessly.

Pretty Boy
24-09-2010, 08:21 PM
Just my opinion, but the elevation of Kurtis Byrne to some sort of saviour is unjustified and unfair on the lad.

He seems a nice lad but from what I've seen of him in the 19s he doesn't have it. I'd like to be proved wrong but Hibs very rarely get these calls wrong. I remember similar moans when the likes of Damon Gray, Ross Campbell, Kevin McDonald etc were released but none have gone on to enjoy a good career.

Also don't think Currie or Welsh are good enough to make it at Hibs. Booth could if he brushes up on the defensive side of his game because he has a lot to offer but Yogi seems to need a bit of convincing on that front.

Hanlon and Wotherspoon both have 'it' in my opinion, but I'm worried they're not mentally tough enough to do their ability and technique justice. Again, hope to be proved wrong.

We have everything going for us in terms of debt levels and facilities. Now I'd like some serious attention to be paid to the club infrastructure in terms of youth development funding (really pushing to get the best young talent to East Mains) and sorting out player recruitment with some sort of long-term stategy, because I think we fritter away a lot of money needlessly.

Agree to an extent. I've not seen a lot of Byrne, Booth, Currie or Welsh so can't comment on their ability with any great conviction.

However i wholeheartedly agree that Hibs rarely get these calls wrong. I struggle to think of any young player we have let go off in recent years who has gone on to be a startling success elsewhere or come back to haunt us in any significant way.

I'm happy to be corrected of course but i honestly can't think of one.

Iggy Pope
24-09-2010, 08:54 PM
Shame that this thread with some positive content about a good wee win for the 19s turns into another nosebag for Hughes bashers.

Anyway, I'll ask again and hopefully the folk that follow the 19s with some vigour might know - Has the laddie Handling got a great-great grandad that played for the Hibs at the turn of the last century???
Very uncommon surname......

sunshine1875
24-09-2010, 09:14 PM
hibs under 19s are playing hamilton tomorrow at linlithgow rose's ground prestonfield, kick off 1pm.

will be very weird no having mick mcghee standing on the touchline beside me, hope your lads do you proud mate

What would Mick have said about today's match?

oconnors_strip
24-09-2010, 09:44 PM
Shame that this thread with some positive content about a good wee win for the 19s turns into another nosebag for Hughes bashers.

Anyway, I'll ask again and hopefully the folk that follow the 19s with some vigour might know - Has the laddie Handling got a great-great grandad that played for the Hibs at the turn of the last century???
Very uncommon surname......

i will ask him next time i see him:wink:

What would Mick have said about today's match?

my lads f****** got stuck in, b****** referee is a f****** c****, never a b***** red card for wee danny! :greengrin

f****** 3 points eh:thumbsup: